Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is now geared for players in the age's of 50+

Comments

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by Isturi

Originally posted by Livett

It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.

What are your thought or comments? I'm I the only one that SEE'S the TREND??

And your source for this amazing claim is?

Oh my bad lol here is the link... www.curse.com/articles/other-en-news/18099.aspx

and here is what caught my attention...

Among the survey's main findings:

* 65 percent of American households play computer and video games;

* 38 percent of American homes have a video game console;

* The average game player is 35 years old;

* One out of four gamers are over age 50;

* Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent); and,

* 41 percent of Americans expect to purchase one or more games this year.

And I personlay know that when I played WoW I would always on a dalily bassis run into a player who was over FIFTY.

How the hell do you extract from this information that most of WoW players are over 50?  Stay in school.  Jebus.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"First my friend, I am 53 and while you may not be aware WE were the first computer players in the late 70's with Pet Commdore, Atari 400 and 800, Apple 2 and Vic 20. I am an early programmer from that period btw (later got into networks). Even published in magazines like Softside (1981)

WE were also the first wargamers, RPG and Fantasy players with games like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller rpg, Swords and Sorcery (SPI)"

I am only 37 and I remember and played the majority of the games you have mentioned. All this WE business is for the birds.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Oh my bad lol here is the link... www.curse.com/articles/other-en-news/18099.aspx
    and here is what caught my attention...
    Among the survey's main findings:
    * 65 percent of American households play computer and video games;

* 38 percent of American homes have a video game console;

* The average game player is 35 years old;

* One out of four gamers are over age 50;

* Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent); and,

* 41 percent of Americans expect to purchase one or more games this year.
    And I personlay know that when I played WoW I would always on a dalily bassis run into a player who was over FIFTY.

Doesn't 'gamers' include console gamers, sinfle-player PC games, Pogo and other flash sites, as well as the MMOs?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Kyleran
    IMO, if anything games today are being dumbed down to appeal to younger players who don't have the patience to play more complicated games. 

QFT

AGREED I have been playing games since the late 70s and have noticed that there has been a complete dumbing down of games from about the early 90s onwards until today.

The vast majority of games on all formats are geared towards low patience, instant gratification and reward gamers.

Infact this applies to all of society when you think about it, and have lived long enough to see it. Films, TV, Newspapers, Education.

In another 40 years we will all be morons being fed games that you win instantly just by pressing play.

Bring back the old school games where you had to read a book sized manual before you even loaded the tape deck :) At least people would be forced to read once in a while, you don't even need manuals for games anymore there so easy.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Agreed with recent posts totally.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Vortigon

Originally posted by Kyleran

IMO, if anything games today are being dumbed down to appeal to younger players who don't have the patience to play more complicated games. 

QFT

AGREED I have been playing games since the late 70s and have noticed that there has been a complete dumbing down of games from about the early 90s onwards until today.

The vast majority of games on all formats are geared towards low patience, instant gratification and reward gamers.

Infact this applies to all of society when you think about it, and have lived long enough to see it. Films, TV, Newspapers, Education.

In another 40 years we will all be morons being fed games that you win instantly just by pressing play.

Bring back the old school games where you had to read a book sized manual before you even loaded the tape deck :) At least people would be forced to read once in a while, you don't even need manuals for games anymore there so easy.

Ty it seems some get the general IDEA of my ramblings regarding not ony WoW but games in general. I used WoW for the example because it is the BIGGEST game there is to date. As MOST of us know the game is soooooo SIMPLE that you roll wichever toon you want. set your icons up the way you like them then BAM point and click the BUFF or DEBUFF tada you win nine times out of ten. IF you dont take on a MOB that is a little bit tougher then you that is. HECK you can even WIN if you just click and attack on equal or lower MOBS  the game will do its thing and BINGO you still win with out to much INTERACTION.

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

Age and intellect aren't related. A dumb 18 year old will grow up to be a dumb 50 year old.

The difference is, a dumb 50 year old will have more experience and wisdom. They won't do stupid things just because they've done it all before and know better.

There is a period of time which varies from person to person (around the 20s til the 70s) where age doesn't relate to intellectual capacity. Below 18 you're not fully developed so games aimed at under 18s are usually dumbed down. Above 70 senility can kick in, but that's just nature :-P

The point is... there is no need to be age-ist. 15-30 year olds have sharper reflexes... 40-60 year olds have wisdom. It's a trade off, and neither should be snobby or look down at one another.

(I'm 20 by the way... not that my age should really affect the credibility of what I say. Although in real life it invariably does.)

And besides, I don't see any proof that the majority of WoW players are 50 plus. I used to play WoW and agree with everyone else. The majority seem to be younger than 30.

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.

First my friend, I am 53 and while you may not be aware WE were the first computer players in the late 70's with Pet Commdore, Atari 400 and 800, Apple 2 and Vic 20. I am an early programmer from that period btw (later got into networks). Even published in magazines like Softside (1981)

WE were also the first wargamers, RPG and Fantasy players with games like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller rpg, Swords and Sorcery (SPI).

Come to think of it , I have to laugh each time when people come here and say they are the real old players when they played Warhammer TableTop or UO.

I played basic Ultima and Zork YEARS before that.

And Games Workshop Warhammer was a copy of everything else, because we played fantasy games back in 1974/1975 with elves, dragons, orcs.

So I don't understand your remarks.

I played War in Europe on a 8 feet by 8 feet map of WW2 Europe with 4000 counters. Board wargames that ran between  between 500 and 1000 hours to complete with 5 men teams.

--

So I don't know what you are getting at?

That at an age you get "dumber" or something ?!?

The average age of our guild is 30 years I guess (guild leader 37) , youngest is 14 and most are RL firends coming from a Warhammer TT club (of which not ONE plays War btw). A lot of wargamers too play Wow.

---

Btw a good advice you'll be 50 before you will even know it. Two blimps of an eye and you'll be that age.

So what was the question again ?  :)))

I remember those games, they were and in allot of ways and still are the best, I'm 43 and started on a TSR-80 and was taught basic on Vic-20, programmed my own games on C-64 to Amiga 1500.

Table top wise, played or owned all the above and a few more, (latter on in my life I actually owned my own game store :D )

Only thing I gotta pull you up on is the," WE were also the first wargamers " comment, it's true you may have been one of the first to try and play some of the first RPG's that came out, but the title of 1st wargammer's, sorry I think not, wargaming as a hobby goes back for more than a hundred years, in England they had whole wargaming societies and club houses, not to mention the ancient Egyptians, 1st wargammer's you are not, unless your lying about your age,( like your really 150 years old)

@ OP: I think better questions would have been, Who plays these games the longest, the younger players or the older players, who put's in the most time, what age groups re-sub's the same game the most?

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by shad0w99
    The difference is, a dumb 50 year old will have more experience and wisdom. They won't do stupid things just because they've done it all before and know better.

Wisdom comes with reflection, not age. There are far too many people that don't reflect back on their decisions, take responsibility, and learn.

Other than that I totally agree with you.

• darkpedro456darkpedro456 Member Posts: 2

Well, I think they just have nothing better to do, or wanna play with their grand kids, and is cool that older ppl play too because you dont have to deal with stupid 12 childs that want to loot every item in the raid or dungeon.

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

So basically what you are trying to say is: The game is easy and old people like easy games, thusly wow is made for geriatrics now and all these young fans just vanished into thin air?

You gleaned all this from a curse gaming article?

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118

eh wow is just for people that either have very little time and care only about being handed things or younger players you dont have the skill for more challanging mmos. Lota older players prob getting in cause the game is so easy and it doesnt take much to learn except how to use a mouse

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by syllvenwood

eh wow is just for people that either have very little time and care only about being handed things or younger players you dont have the skill for more challanging mmos. Lota older players prob getting in cause the game is so easy and it doesnt take much to learn except how to use a mouse

Broad sweeping statements like this are just for people who either have very little skills in explanations and care only about grossly over simplified summary as these people lack the skill or ability to substantiate their empty assertions.  It does not take these people much more than the ability to randomly hit the keyboard and press the submit button.

My FIRST comment is to redcap036 who stated.....

"@ OP: I think better questions would have been, Who plays these games the longest, the younger players or the older players, who put's in the most time, what age groups re-sub's the same game the most?"

That would make a excellent FORUM conversation. I'm not sure how far it will go since most stated there thoughts on this THREAD. But ty you have the better SUBJECT matter of how this forum should of gone.

Now to Revenus who stated....

"So basically what you are trying to say is: The game is easy and old people like easy games, thusly  (FIXED) wow is made for geriatrics now and all these young fans just vanished into thin air?

You gleaned all this from a curse gaming article?"

GOOD question. To answer your question I CONSIDER myself to be a JOURNALIST of forum's I can take articles that are presented off the internet like the one that CURSE offered and analyze them and POST them on forums such as the good folks here at MMORPG has to offer to incite GOOD conversation for the most part.

Games are made for ALL ppl of all ages going back to BOARD games most of these come with the STATEMENT that this game is for "ALL AGES" or "From ages 3 - 90" this statement is very easly tranfered to MMO's, MMORPG's etc.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I can't speak for entire population but over the past couple of years I have been able to find guilds for older people. The game actually seemed to be more enjoyable to me when I was in a guild and my wife was one of the youngest members at age 30.

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

[quote][i]Originally posted by Isturi[/i]    It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.   What are your thought or comments? I'm I the only one that SEE'S the TREND??   [/quote]   Sorry bud, but just because I am 50 does not mean I wet my pants and need a nurse. I have never played WOW nor do I intend to.  

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

WoW was once a MMO not in its simplest form? And lol at majority in their fifties remark :)

• syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Orthedos

Originally posted by syllvenwood

Broad sweeping statements like this are just for people who either have very little skills in explanations and care only about grossly over simplified summary as these people lack the skill or ability to substantiate their empty assertions.  It does not take these people much more than the ability to randomly hit the keyboard and press the submit button.

Well when it comes to a grossley simplified game how else can you describe it?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

I'm 46 and have played Wow and Eve both on and off for years. It's two different experiences, I enjoy them both at times, and hate them both at times.

The perfect game for everyone just doesn't exist, and probably never  will.

Us older players would like something that knocks our socks off, just like the younger players.

It may never happen, Aion  looks great, but then it doesn't.

Honestly, "The Witcher" could be the best mmo ever, that's my opinoin. It just needs a name change :)

Yes, I know that it's not an mmo, but it cdould be.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670
    in our guild (25 man raiding with lots of social members) only 5 are over 50. We also have 2 under 18s. The majority are between 20-40 so I don't think it is right to say the majority of players are over 50 if our guild is anything to go by.
  • faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by LuckyR

[quote][i]Originally posted by Isturi[/i]    It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.   What are your thought or comments? I'm I the only one that SEE'S the TREND??   [/quote]   Sorry bud, but just because I am 50 does not mean I wet my pants and need a nurse. I have never played WOW nor do I intend to.  

If you really are fifty, you should know that you can only judge things by yourself and certainly not go after the opinion of 17 year old frustrated kids publishing words like "trash" and "sucks" on mmorpg.com, while searching a meaning to their existence through video games..

You don't know what you're missing.

But no problem I know what I have in the World of Warcraft.

And having had 30 years experience in video gaming, computer programming and about 40 years in board-war-fantasy-gaming I know which game I played most (out of those 600 gathering dust in my attic).

1. WOW

2. Third Reich/The Russian Campaign (board)

3. Magic the gathering. (CCG).

4. Close Combat 1 (PC)

5. Star Raiders on the Atari 400/800 computers back in 1980.

Honorable mention goes to WH the TT game and NApoleon's BAttles (also TT).

The difference between WoW and the other fantasy (MMO or not) games I played (dozens of them) I would say it's like 3 to 10/10... and that includes SC, WC3, and D2 btw.

D2 is pathetic now compared to what you have as playing options in Wow.

Here here Zorndorf, once again well said.

While I don't have any real studies to back me up, I know from my own experiences how popular WoW is with a more mature and experienced gaming population.

I am a member of a very large guild. We have been around for 10 years this fall. We have a good number of players 50+. The majority of us are probably between 25 and 45. We have womenz. REAL womenz. Lot's of them. We have a large number of husband and wife teams. We also have a few family groups that span 2 or 3 generations playing together. We are the oldest guild on our server, we are also one of the largest. We are mainly a social guild, but do raid agressively and have all current 25 man content on farm status. And we do it with clean efficiency, a sense of fun, and virtually no pissing and drama.

Many of us have been gaming since the days of Atari, Trash 80's and Comodore's. We have been gaming together as a team since the original Asherons Call beta, if not earlier.

And we know we are precisely the sort of players that MMO companies such as Blizzard cream there pants for. We stay together in large social groups for a long time. So we stay paying and playing for a long time. (unlike the younger player with the shorter attention span). The more mature playerbase tends to be more easily satsified content wise, and is less expensive and requires less direct customer support attention.

So why would anyone be astonished that there are older folks playing and enjoying these games?

Here here Zorndorf, and faefrost both you two got the point on this THREAD. TY for the fact of the matter NO one should care what age you are. I also even though TEN years off will be PLAYING MMO's at fifty. I'm sure that the both of you will be playing in your SIXITIES.

If anyone has a problem with that then stop playing the games WE choose to play. And go CLEAN your room!!! Lol

• MungoeMungoe Member Posts: 6

The OP's assertion would not surprise me at all, i am 58 year old gamer who belongs to a guild which has 30,000 members.

What's the name of that guild? The Older Gamers [TOG]

Mind you i don't play WoW anymore. i'm playing The Chronicals of Spellborn. :)

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

wow was always in its simplest form, thats why so many teens with short attention spans played it. those people in their fifties are far more competent than any little teen.