Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I've been playing the trial

and this game seems quite fun. Combat is nice, graphics are nice, animations are nice, quests are ok, crafting is much better than what I've experienced with WoW / DAoC and it's one of the few games with a large variety of races to choose from.

My question is this: What do players typically do when they hit max level? Is there much raid content, or challenging group content? Epic quest lines?

Played and enjoyed: EQ1, DAoC, WoW

Played and disliked: Guild Wars, WAR

Currently playing: Nothing

Waiting for: Mortal Online

Comments

• Rizen21Rizen21 Member Posts: 4

It's a good game, but it seems a lot like EQ2...

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

It's a great game. The greatest PvE MMO out right now. 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Roll a alt.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• etwynnetwynn Member Posts: 219

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

The one raid dungeon doesn't sound like much but it has 20+ raid bosses and more content then several raid dungeons from other games.  Here are a couple links with more info.

tyrynt.com/havoc/index.php

---
    Ethion

• GIANT_WANGGIANT_WANG Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by ethion

The one raid dungeon doesn't sound like much but it has 20+ raid bosses and more content then several raid dungeons from other games.  Here are a couple links with more info.
    tyrynt.com/havoc/index.php

Ah cool, so I guess that's the equivalent of Naxxrammas in WoW (hopefully more challenging than its current rendition in WoTLK).

I briefly checked a vanguard guide site and some of the small group dungeons seem pretty interesting, like they're very story-driven.

I'm thinking I'll buy the game in the next few weeks when my trial runs out. Seems like a pretty solid mmo compared to the others on the market. Makes me wonder why they don't have more subscribers.

Oh btw, is there any form of PvP in Vanguard besides the apparently unpopular FFA server? Like arenas or something similar?

Played and enjoyed: EQ1, DAoC, WoW

Played and disliked: Guild Wars, WAR

Currently playing: Nothing

Waiting for: Mortal Online

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by GIANT_WANG

and this game seems quite fun. Combat is nice, graphics are nice, animations are nice, quests are ok, crafting is much better than what I've experienced with WoW / DAoC and it's one of the few games with a large variety of races to choose from.

My question is this: What do players typically do when they hit max level? Is there much raid content, or challenging group content? Epic quest lines?

There is a LOT of raid content, so if you like raiding, you'll be busy for a long time at level 50.  There is currently Ancient Port Warehouse (our guild has been there a year and have just about got the Dragon figured out).  There is overland raid content (we've defeated a few, but have a LONG way to go to kill others).  There is Bridge of Destiny (have only gone there a few times, haven't even gotten to a boss yet).  There is the Isle of Gazamut (I think you need to get across the bridge to even access this area).

If you don't like raiding with a max level character then there are group quest lines in Rahz Inkur and Tetehemi Harbor that will take awhile.  Shores of Darkness is level 50 group content and will take a very long time to complete the quests there.  I think someone on our server just got the final quest item this past week and SoD has been out for almost 6 months.  The Griffon Quest line is very long and at points very intensive and frustrating.  Leveling up the diplomacy and crafting spheres will keep a level 50 busy for a long time as well.

Patheon of the Ancients will be on the test server soon which will include 6, 12, 18 and 24 man content.  I believe the level cap increase will be released at the same time along with all of the new passive and active abilities.  AAs will follow.  This will be the biggest game to date.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Rizen21

To be honest, that is only superficial.

When the game was in development I actually said the same thing. One of the Devs came on and assured us that it wasn't.

And he was right.

There are some similarities and from the screen shots you can almost say "of course it is like EQ 2". But the whole feel of the world is different. And the avatars feel ver different.

To be honest, there is to my sense a stiffness to them. I'm always caught by surprise when I actually jump because the avatars seem to glide in their running, almost as if they could never leave the ground.

But the Vangard world is less kitschy than EQ 2. In EQ 2 you have things like "Mr. Puddlestomper is very upset because his jollywogs were stolen. Could you please help"? There is a bit of a Harry Potterish or whimsical nature to the fantasy. Even PC Gamer made note that the high fantasy in EQ 2 seemed a bit heavy handed and might not appeal to some players.

Vangaurd has much less of that, if any. It seems like a more serious world. One that could have a lot of style if not for some of the more "EQ 2ish" textures.

However, the world can be stunning and in the trial of the Isle the sky is just incredible. However it is not a game for everyone. It really is more an explorer's game. And because the world is so large, you might not meet/see other players for quite some time. I suppose like most games they are in the higher level player areas.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • spitfire1525spitfire1525 Member Posts: 3

the only aspect of EQ2 in resemblence to vanguard is that it is PVE.   Vanguard is in NO WAY like EQ2.

VG is actually fun.  EQ2 is not.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

I'm thinking I'll buy the game in the next few weeks when my trial runs out. Seems like a pretty solid mmo compared to the others on the market. Makes me wonder why they don't have more subscribers.

Well they launched the game unfinished, lots of bugs, lots of CTD, missing content, fired most of the developers in the car parking lot etc.

So I expect most players who live through such a disastrous launch go away and never come back - like AOC.
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

Well they launched the game unfinished, lots of bugs, lots of CTD, missing content, fired most of the developers in the car parking lot etc.

So I expect most players who live through such a disastrous launch go away and never come back - like AOC.

Exactly.  Vanguard had a disasterous launch.  It was broken in so many ways when released and that left many, many people incredibly disappoint because expectations were so high.  It took about a year for the game to get in good shape with performance fixes, bug fixes etc.  For the last 8 to 12 months it's been a steady incline of players.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by spitfire1525

the only aspect of EQ2 in resemblence to vanguard is that it is PVE.   Vanguard is in NO WAY like EQ2.

VG is actually fun.  EQ2 is not.

Agreed, VG and EQ2 are quite different games.

However I find both games fun.  EQ2 still has a much more polished game experience and gets steady improvements and dev support.

That said VG still has many features that make it one of the best if not thee best PvE oriented MMORPG.

---
    Ethion