Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone actually roleplay?

13»

Comments

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

I think they make a Role Play server for a reason... For role players.. 

I love role-playing.  I'll do cyber role-playing, and in real life.  Everyone should at least give it a try, going into character is awesome.  Its better in sex, meeting new people, playing some games, dungeons and dragons, etc.  

Online.. Actually play your character, whats so hard, it makes the game ten times more interesting.  If you're too nice in real life, maybe make your character a bad ass, treat everyone like crap.. Its fun to not act like yourself sometimes.  IMO 

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• VeviVevi Member Posts: 146

I enjoy roleplaying.

• idealoidealo Member Posts: 4

what do you mean by real roleplay? dress like the character in the game?

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by idealo

what do you mean by real roleplay? dress like the character in the game?

Oh yeah. We sit at our computer screen wearing whatever gear our character has on.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• kathyliikathylii Member Posts: 4

it takes too much more time and money to do actual roleplay in the reality

• KingKaioKingKaio Member Posts: 48

Waste of time? Your playing an MMORPG......

Anyway, I have never role played but I would like to. I would love to make some anime-esque webisodes with friends and put them on youtube or something.

• Master_RazorMaster_Razor Member Posts: 226

I love role playing, and I used to do it alot...on forums, and IM conversations.

I've never role played in a video/computer game of any kind. The game doesn't really help. First of all, hardly anyone else is role playing, so you have to find people that are actually willing to role play. Second, you usually have very limited control over your appearance, unlike in a forum where you can look however you want. Third, you can't just make up your own place to role play, you're limited to whatever world exists in the game you're playing in. Finally, there's only so much you're limited by the mechanics of the game. It's almost as hard as role playing in real life, and in someways even more limiting, actually. So I don't role play in video games.

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Master_Razor

I love role playing, and I used to do it alot...on forums, and IM conversations.
    I've never role played in a video/computer game of any kind. The game doesn't really help. First of all, hardly anyone else is role playing, so you have to find people that are actually willing to role play. Second, you usually have very limited control over your appearance, unlike in a forum where you can look however you want. Third, you can't just make up your own place to role play, you're limited to whatever world exists in the game you're playing in. Finally, there's only so much you're limited by the mechanics of the game. It's almost as hard as role playing in real life, and in someways even more limiting, actually. So I don't role play in video games.

I understand where you are coming from, and agree with you to an extent.  Your best bet to find fellow RPers is to make a character on a dedicated RP server, and if there is none, check the game forums as there are usually people there discussing which server they will all start on, which then essentially creates a player-made RP server.  Not to mention that one of the best ways I have found to either find RPers, or get others into it is to converse with everyone IC regardless of whether they do or not...sometimes they respond with "so were r u goingz?" or what not, but it is a good way to have someone else start up IC as well.

I also feel that yes, while your appearance is often limited by what options you have as opposed to what you can dream up and type in a forum, I feel that the way your character looks in game can still be just the basis, and further fleshed out by your description of the character.  For instance, if your character always has a cheerful smile, you have to describe that by typing it out either way so what is the loss?

I completely agree with your third point, that you are limited to what is in the game; however if you are interested in roleplaying in that particular world and utilizing its lore then you are all set for the most part.  Lastly, I do agree that you are often limited by the mechanics in the game, but I also feel it shows your caliber when you can work with and around those limitations.  If your character kneels down to dig in the dirt it is easy to type out that action on a forum, but in the game where there is (obviously) no dig option, you can atleast kneel and emote the rest of the action.  Perhaps that is a bad example, but hopefully that illustrats my point..

Anyways, like I said I do understand your view, but I feel that while it may not be exactly the same as RPing in forums/messages, there is still a way to do it and have fun!  You never know, perhaps you give it a try and actually find someone that you enjoy RPing with! 

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• Master_RazorMaster_Razor Member Posts: 226

Huh, wish I'd met more people like you when I played wow, I might have gotten a decent role play going. I'm not currently playing any MMOs, so I don't really have the opportunity to go back and give it a try, but that's good advice for the future.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I don't usually role-play online, even though I play tabletop rpg's in real life. Just doesn't seem to be popular in MMO's. I have high hopes for rp'ing in Fallen Earth because the factions and their philosphies lend  themselves to it. Plus I can relate a lot more to a human survivor of an apocalypse than I can to an elf or orc.

• ForgeknightForgeknight Member Posts: 35

I remember a great RP community in SWG early on. The game, for all it's faults, allowed you to RP fairly easy. I personnaly developed a odd bond with my toon while I was playing. Believe it or not in the early days of WoW, before it became popular and attracted the idiots that plague it today, the RP servers were full of people who actually played the toon as if they were them. It was a very different game then what it has become. So yeah I still RP when I get the chance, the problem is finding that small group of like minded individuals in the big world of fast action, gear driven, toons, who actually make the experience worth while.