Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do we know about Crafting and Housing ?

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Mykell

Originally posted by Vrazule

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Noktaris

Resources expended on content such as housing, crafting and raiding, take away resources from the real content that most people participate in. 

Mind explaining to me what you see as real content?

New mobs, associated AI & abilities. Dungeons. Scripted boss fights. Quests. Scripted events. New items with effects & procs.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I really doubt there will be player housing...you know this topic is always extremely popular,and tons of people are let down by the news that player housing is not included in new MMO's. You would think MMO companies would get the hint that people want it.

Oh they do extensive research. The reason they are not doing it is that not enough people want it.

Personally, if they have resources, I would much rather to have a new dungeon to explore than play housing. You really can't do much with player housing anyway.

Ahh, the simple minded mass market target audience. Lovely.

I am amazed at how many people are arguing against a part of the game that they really don't care for even though other people really like it. You don't hear the people that like housing complaining about how there should be no combat in the game just because they don't like it.

MMO's are about bringing a wide variety of different playstyles together into the same game world. But, the instant gratification crowd has come in and demanded that their playstyle and only their playstyle be the one catered to. Sad really.

Ya wanna know what is sad?

I would say it is your reliance on calling folks names when they dont agree with your gaming stance. I think you gotta be averaging about 2 to3 of these posts a day lately Mr Lincoln. Uncle Owen's pink panties are getting in a bunch over not getting another PRECioUs eh? Isnt that sad?

Wanna know what else is sad...trying to saddle your gaming style onto games that it has  no business in.

Someone that enjoys housing wont compain about combat eh? Well did it ever cross your mind that they woudnt have their game in the first place without combat in a MMO generally speaking.

A total housing sim might work for a niche crowd in a small MMO or 2...but it would come no where near the numbers of a decent  AAA action MMO. Who knows maybe if it was a free game...but P2P there is NO way,

Why is that? Cause folks wanna enjoy themselves...not have a second life online like the hard core roleplayers do.

Get over yourselves. Your gamestyle isnt about being "mature"...it is overboard IMO at the very least. With some boarding on downright frakin pyschotic(hello crying about a game for over 3 years) at the worst end of the spectrum.

MMO gaming is mainstream now. The far majority of titles will be catering to the action crowd. I cant speak for all action gamers, but I would have to believe folks wanna get their wares from fighting...not Uncle Owen.

Thus your gaming style isnt needed to make our games a success. Pity you cant say the same...you need us to provide you with content. Yet insult us for what we enjoy. Friggen priceless. Really makes folks wanna game with you Sims players in the first place eh Skippy?

And when you throw in several of the other social misfits that are included with you in your ranks, I am for damn certain I dont care to ever see things like trades/housing ever being more than a tiny portion of any MMO I am playing.

That should insure I dont ever run across the basket-case folks. You know... like a couple of the demented vets that are found on these boards still(several still around posting on alt accounts as well). You guys are a shining example of a "restraining order waiting to happen".

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Senadina

I can't argue against your point Mykell. I play WAR, and yes there is NO chat. So maybe you have something tthere. I also play LOTRO, which has player housing and crafting; and a more vibrant community. Of course it also has a more compelling storyline, so that might have something to do with it too. You make a good point and it has answered my original question    .

Glad i could help.

Originally posted by Mykell

Originally posted by Vrazule

Resources expended on content such as housing, crafting and raiding, take away resources from the real content that most people participate in. 

Mind explaining to me what you see as real content?

New mobs, associated AI & abilities. Dungeons. Scripted boss fights. Quests. Scripted events. New items with effects & procs.

Yet to me its the PvP and RvR that TOR is going to hold my attention or not. AI/scripted boss fights dont hold a candle to fighting against real people but thats my opinion.

However rather than see all the resources put into PvP i would like to see every area of the game get equal attention so more people are drawn into the game. The more people who like different things = better community imo.

Well looks like housing could possibly be in.

LINK (go fullscreen)

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

i'm realy going to play that game. All hail Star wars 

haha. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Guess only Bioware knows about this at this moment.

I read that there were player housing in SWG though. (being discussed here: http://gamezig.com/mmorpg/star-wars-the-old-republic-swtor-player-housing )

For you guys that have played SWG, did it work out well? Should it be implemented in SWTOR you think?

To be honest, I could have done without them. To me they were just wastes of space that caused extra lag. I visited my house so infrequently that I had to keep a mark of it on the map. It basically became a place to store all the junk. It also became one more chore to do in the game. I know there are those that like hanging around and playing house, but I was never one of those players.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Arawon

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's what I wrote back in December with regard to an interview about this:

I can see it having cantinas built into the cities and an emotes system.

That's about as far as I see them taking it, though. Decorating houses, hosting guild parties with fireworks and party favors, and other player craftable items that allow players to get creative and make content don't look to be in this game's future. Those items aren't heroic enough, it seems, and neither do they give you a feeling of living in the Star Wars universe.

Hey, don't look at me. Those look to be the thoughts of one Rich Vogel. Yeah, the same guy who was a part of the original SWG team that gave you those same options with that game.

Go figure. Note below that things that aren't combat oriented and heroic must be small (interpretations of "feels right") and not inconvienencing to the hero!

From http://www.massively.com/2008/10/24/swtor-classes-part-2/

You can't talk about classes in particular, but are you going to include anything in the game that isn't combat oriented? Smugglers, tradesmen, that sort of thing.

Gordon: We will definitely have crafting.

Rich: The core classes we'll start off with will be based off or heroic, combat oriented experiences ... Star Wars, right? We are going to have crafting, because that's a big part of MMOs. We're going to implement crafting in a way that 'feels' right for Star Wars. For the longest time we struggled with that. You know, crafting at its heart is not really what the universe is about. But one of the designers came up with a great idea, which I can't talk about because it's not implemented yet, of how to incorporate crafting into Star Wars without forcing a hero to do something that's very non-heroic.

What about the tradition of Jedi crafting their own lightsabers?

Rich: With the way that MMOs work, gaining and upgrading loot over levels, you're not going to end the game with the same lightsaber you started with. That might mean a succession of different lightsabers ...

James Olen, Studio Creative Director: Yeah, our game is about loot. There are things in our game that as you progress you definitely can tell a new player from a high-level player.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Guess only Bioware knows about this at this moment.

I read that there were player housing in SWG though. (being discussed here: http://gamezig.com/mmorpg/star-wars-the-old-republic-swtor-player-housing )

For you guys that have played SWG, did it work out well? Should it be implemented in SWTOR you think?

Loved the housing system with the exception of free for all placement. I think it should have been relegated to certain areas on the various planets with so many houses being allowed in a several areas on planets or within a certain radius from NPC cities. Aside from that, best housing system I've seen.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I really doubt there will be player housing...you know this topic is always extremely popular,and tons of people are let down by the news that player housing is not included in new MMO's. You would think MMO companies would get the hint that people want it.

I'm one of the players that wants housing. However, why would developers get the hint? WOW proved that a game can be a huge finacial success without housing. I would still be playing WOW if it had housing but it obviously does not need housing or my subscription dollars.