Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is now geared for players in the age's of 50+

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.

What are your thought or comments? I'm I the only one that SEE'S the TREND??

Comments

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Isturi

It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.

And your source for this amazing claim is?

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

/Facepalm. Umm no. Yes there certainly are a portion of 50+ players, but the majority? You couldn't be further from the truth.

O_o o_O

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I have read on some news articles n such...that older players are getting into games. One reason is cause it gives them a better chance to connect with their kids on a level playing field. So I doubt your logic of dumbing a game down enouph so older players can grasp it is accurate. Keep in mind...older gamers were playing before the WoW generation was born.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Livett

Oh my bad lol here is the link... www.curse.com/articles/other-en-news/18099.aspx

and here is what caught my attention...

Among the survey's main findings:

* 65 percent of American households play computer and video games;

* 38 percent of American homes have a video game console;

* The average game player is 35 years old;

* One out of four gamers are over age 50;

* Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent); and,

* 41 percent of Americans expect to purchase one or more games this year.

And I personlay know that when I played WoW I would always on a dalily bassis run into a player who was over FIFTY.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

/Facepalm. Umm no. Yes there certainly are a portion of 50+ players, but the majority? You couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm "older", not in my 50's yet, and play MMO's.  But watching my hubby play WoW every now and again, I get the sense that there are still quite a few teens playing, sorry. 

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Funny thing is.. he is 40 years old... talks like a 15 year old.. and complains about 50 year olds, saying gamers should be in their teens to be valid players. I started playing computer game in 1973, I was 8 years old... I still play them, so please sue me for that. If age is your problem you will live in hell the next year... and the next.. not to talk about the next.. and the next after that... and the next! Not to mention.. the next year after that!!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• DraklonDraklon Member UncommonPosts: 218

How do you go from "One out of four gamers are over age 50" to "It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES" ?

• SuttonianSuttonian Member UncommonPosts: 65

According to the Parc PlayOn blog the mean WOW player age is 29.78 with a standard deviation of 10, so there really aren't that many 50 year olds.

Source: http://blogs.parc.com/playon/archives/2008/07/avatar_survey_a.html

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Draklon

How do you go from "One out of four gamers are over age 50" to "It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES" ?

It's that new math. you know, where 25% now equals a majority. Screw 51%. That's so yesterday.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Zorndorf

First my friend, I am 53 and while you may not be aware WE were the first computer players in the late 70's with Pet Commdore, Atari 400 and 800, Apple 2 and Vic 20. I am an early programmer from that period btw (later got into networks). Even published in magazines like Softside (1981)

WE were also the first wargamers, RPG and Fantasy players with games like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller rpg, Swords and Sorcery (SPI).

Come to think of it , I have to laugh each time when people come here and say they are the real old players when they played Warhammer TableTop or UO.

I played basic Ultima and Zork YEARS before that.

And Games Workshop Warhammer was a copy of everything else, because we played fantasy games back in 1974/1975 with elves, dragons, orcs.

So I don't understand your remarks.

I played War in Europe on a 8 feet by 8 feet map of WW2 Europe with 4000 counters. Board wargames that ran between  between 500 and 1000 hours to complete with 5 men teams.

--

So I don't know what you are getting at?

That at an age you get "dumber" or something ?!?

The average age of our guild is 30 years I guess (guild leader 37) , youngest is 14 and most are RL firends coming from a Warhammer TT club (of which not ONE plays War btw). A lot of wargamers too play Wow.

---

Btw a good advice you'll be 50 before you will even know it. Two blimps of an eye and you'll be that age.

So what was the question again ?  :)))

TY Zornforf for your post. I agree and you are right I plan on playing until I hit 90. SO there is nothing WRONG what so ever or so I see playing past FIFTY.

The question is HIGHLIGHTED in RED.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Livett

Oh my bad lol here is the link... www.curse.com/articles/other-en-news/18099.aspx

* Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent); and,

And I personlay know that when I played WoW I would always on a dalily bassis run into a player who was over FIFTY.

wow, comparing all women of all ages between males 17 years old.. As for older players.. well most elderly do know how to use a computer but games... never heard of one in real life, maybe there are folks in game that claim to be over 50 and sure some might be, others just making it up cause theyl think its funny. I mean really, ask around you think you would find that many aunties and uncles playing...

and one out of 4 players over 50 my ass, that would be 25% of the games entire playerbase, thats  just ridicoulus

• Major_SkillzMajor_Skillz Member Posts: 84

You are completely fabricating this "trend" based on some very off the wall ideas you have yourself. As for mature people playing, why would you think that young kids are the only ones who should play games? Keeping up with the grandkids? Perhaps you should do some research on the history of games before you generalize something you know nothing about.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you do realize this is ALL video gaming, including Console gaming

this study was based on only 1200 households

www.marketingcharts.com/interactive/women-comprise-40-of-us-gamers-26-of-whom-are-over-age-50-5327/esa-game-player-age-breakdownjpg/

The study gathered data from over 1,200 nationally representative households that have been identified as owning either or both a videogame console or personal computer used to run entertainment software.

1200?  vs WOWs millions ?

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

There is probably a reason you didn't post this in another MMO's forums.

Even though other MMO's would admit most of their player base is not teen aged.  For instance FFXI's majority of its fan and player base are in their twenties.

{mod edit}

• xXSeraphielXxXSeraphielX Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

First my friend, I am 53 and while you may not be aware WE were the first computer players in the late 70's with Pet Commdore, Atari 400 and 800, Apple 2 and Vic 20. I am an early programmer from that period btw (later got into networks). Even published in magazines like Softside (1981)

WE were also the first wargamers, RPG and Fantasy players with games like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller rpg, Swords and Sorcery (SPI).

Come to think of it , I have to laugh each time when people come here and say they are the real old players when they played Warhammer TableTop or UO.

I played basic Ultima and Zork YEARS before that.

And Games Workshop Warhammer was a copy of everything else, because we played fantasy games back in 1974/1975 with elves, dragons, orcs.

So I don't understand your remarks.

I played War in Europe on a 8 feet by 8 feet map of WW2 Europe with 4000 counters. Board wargames that ran between  between 500 and 1000 hours to complete with 5 men teams.

--

So I don't know what you are getting at?

That at an age you get "dumber" or something ?!?

The average age of our guild is 30 years I guess (guild leader 37) , youngest is 14 and most are RL firends coming from a Warhammer TT club (of which not ONE plays War btw). A lot of wargamers too play Wow.

---

Btw a good advice you'll be 50 before you will even know it. Two blimps of an eye and you'll be that age.

So what was the question again ?  :)))

*applaud* I completely agree.... I am not 50, yet I have played many of the games you are refering to... I started playing games with my Uncle (who taught me computers very young - C64, Vic 20, hell even the TRS 80), and I even remember the old cassette tape drives and how innovative and new they were. I was also a tabletop gamers by grade 4 starting with the original D&D redbooks. I actually had to laugh that making the game simpler attracted older players (According to OP) However I disagree..... more of the older players are attracted by a good story.... some measure (or illusion of) strategy... and here is the big one.... FRIENDS. I don't care how good or how crappy a game is, friends will often keep you and definately allow you to ignore sometime even the most glaring problems.

My 2 Cents

xXSeraphielXx

NOTE: Currently exhausted, hoping the post is at least understandable.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

What server do you play on? I have characters across 4 servers in EU and it's like a kindergarden. Sure, there's a good number of 21+ on there but they are majorly out-numbered by spotty teenagers spamming trade chat with crap and trash talking in raids & groups.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

THIS is my personal experience that the majority of WoW players are FIFTY plus.

MY personal experience is that most WOW players are under 30

my personal experience has nothing to do with reality of whatever the real numbers are

Originally posted by Garfunkel

What server do you play on? I have characters across 4 servers in EU and it's like a kindergarden. Sure, there's a good number of 21+ on there but they are majorly out-numbered by spotty teenagers spamming trade chat with crap and trash talking in raids & groups.

I dont play WoW anymore i wont do into it but I use to play on the US side of SteamWheadle Cartel maybe out WEST gamers are OLDER???

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Warcraft has a very large population made up of a very diverse group.  It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, you can point out a large group of any demographic you want to. 

As human beings we are sensationalists.  We only remember the home runs, the time we rolled a perfect 100 for an item or any number of other extraordinary things that occur in our lives.  We can get into 100 random groups of people to run dungeons and the 3 or 4 experiences that will stand out are the ones that had one jerk ruining everything for everyone. 

Sure there are more 50+ gamers every single year, but they are in every game.  This isn't something exclusive to wow.  People are the same all over the place.

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Warcraft has a very large population made up of a very diverse group.  It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, you can point out a large group of any demographic you want to. 
    As human beings we are sensationalists.  We only remember the home runs, the time we rolled a perfect 100 for an item or any number of other extraordinary things that occur in our lives.  We can get into 100 random groups of people to run dungeons and the 3 or 4 experiences that will stand out are the ones that had one jerk ruining everything for everyone. 

Sure there are more 50+ gamers every single year, but they are in every game.  This isn't something exclusive to wow.  People are the same all over the place.

^ I agree entirely

Your piece of the pie in no way reflects MY piece of the same pie.

Why?

ITS A REALLY REALLY HUGE 11MILLION PERSON PIE.

that gave me a bad image

• MercuryRisinMercuryRisin Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Daffid011

i am 53/m/ny lol and i play WoW, there is an old game that got me hooked into gaming, probably never heard of "Incubation" it is a turn based strategy game, but had awesome graphics, then half life drew me in.

now, as for mmo's, my first was planetside, because i love shooters. there have been others since, i love gaming, and i love building my own rigs now,

but yeah, i am over 50 and i play WoW :P

ooppsss, forgot why i quoted this particular post, lol, ummm not every game daffodill, i wont be playing HelloKittyOnline, hahahahahahaa

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I have to say, I take exception to the assumption by the OP that people over 50 somehow cannot grasp the intrecacies of today's MMO's and that WOW or any game is being dumbed down to cater to them.

IMO, if anything games today are being dumbed down to appeal to younger players who don't have the patience to play more complicated games. 

Heck, I'm over 50 and my chosen game is EVE, considered one of the more challenging and complex games on the market today.

I also play ROM, and its got a considerably younger player base, if the guild I'm in is any indication. (ranging more like 25-35 vs a slightly older demographic than my corp in EVE.)

Sure, we older folks can be technophobes at times, but I really don't see a trend of game developers like Blizzard simplifying games based on age, older or younger really.

IMO, Blizzard has made the game cater to casual players, regardless of their age, because face it, they make up the largest portion of the gaming market, and Blizz wanted to chase those customers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• glommaglomma Member Posts: 209

Well, in our family the oldest player is my mother inlaw at age 62, she actually have 2 lvl 80's now, and played to that lvl with only a little help from the rest of us,

I myself is age 46, and my wife (who also play) is 44, so yes there are a large number of adults in WOW, and i guess in many families one or both parents play with theyre children.

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204

my dad still plays since i introduced him to it and hes 45. Even ive quit now lol

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

my boys stil play it  and  with vent in all the raids I seen him do most players are 15-30.  I'm sure 40 and up play but its not geared for 50+ lol