Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very impressed with Dx10

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Ok I used to hate this game at release but right now I can tell these DEVs have been actively trying to improve this game. The graphics are absolutely stunning and amazing. Wow....DX10 really pumped things up. And with DX10 and high settings I still get 45 fps on my laptop.

Not too shabby so far. I still hate going thru Tortage everytime you roll tho! >.<

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Is DX10 in game now or just on test?  Last I heard, it had a long way to go before it'd be ready.

• DeadlySwordzDeadlySwordz Member UncommonPosts: 91

they didn't implement the full DX10 feature. at the moment only a test version of DX10 is on live servers...but have to say it looks amazing!!

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

i haven't noticed much difference to be honest.

• AxlesAxles Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by ronan32

i haven't noticed much difference to be honest.

This link should prove that Dx10 looks way different then Dx9

i dont need your link to prove it..i have played it in game..the difference between max setting on dx9 and dx10 is very small.i think funcom have more important things to sort out before they start improving the graphics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• ShuttleXpCShuttleXpC Member Posts: 88

i dont need your link to prove it..i have played it in game..the difference between max setting on dx9 and dx10 is very small.i think funcom have more important things to sort out before they start improving the graphics.

You obviously do, because the difference is visible even in screenshots. they have been focusing on other things too, it should be apparent when the feature isnt even fully completeled and was more of an afterthought on the patch. Some comments on this forum seem to just be about Funcom bashing, and never about the topic at hand.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Looks gorgeous, game always has been gorgeous, regardless..But I think they need to focus on adding more end-game content, and going back to enhance the content they already have. They need to improve performance across the board for everyone (I do not personally have performance issues, but there are alot who still do.) And they need to work on it effeciently. THey are not very quick at pumping out patches, anymore and it seems like it gets slower and slower.

• AxlesAxles Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by ShuttleXpC

You obviously do, because the difference is visible even in screenshots. they have been focusing on other things too, it should be apparent when the feature isnt even fully completeled and was more of an afterthought on the patch. Some comments on this forum seem to just be about Funcom bashing, and never about the topic at hand.

Let him be, any guy with Numbers in his name can't be original enough to have a "Non Hater" reply :P

they have patch 1.4.6 on test live. SSAOL plays better but loooks weird atm :P

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

I didn't notice much of a difference either. Some new water effects and some minor lighting here and there. I had to look real hard to notice it though.

I've yet to see any foliage move realistically however. Perhaps that is not in the current version yet?

Originally posted by Axles

Originally posted by ShuttleXpC

Let him be, any guy with Numbers in his name can't be original enough to have a "Non Hater" reply :P

they have patch 1.4.6 on test live. SSAOL plays better but loooks weird atm :P

welcome to mmorpg.com, i guess you are new. next you will be boasting that you have more gold stars than me.

• nicolsnicols Member Posts: 31

RE the foliage effects, its appears to be implemented fully in some areas and less so in others - Thunder river has good foliage effects imo for example - looks really good when you slowly walk through it and the long leaves bend as you brush against them. Also, some see big FPS drops with the foliage but on my rig it was fine.. Advanced shadows on the other hand pretty much reduced it to single digit fps.. for what its worth, I was getting mid 20s to 50s in some play areas e.g. lacteish plains but unplayable 5-15 fps in areas like tortage gate (thats with everything pretty much on max, 1680 x 1050 with all DX on except Advanced shadows and Ambient Occlusion, no AA - Vista 32, 4 gig ram, Q6600 quad core OC to 2.66 GHz, ATI 4850, 500Meg ram). By comparison, I routinely get 40 - 100 fps with dx 9 and torgtage gate was at least in the 20s most of the time

Overall, it looks good, is playable for some areas but the drops in FPS mean I've gone back to DX9 whilst they optimise it a bit. Others have seen some big technical problems and glitches but It was absolutely fine on my rig. What was disappointing was that even with all the new effects turned off, I was still seeing 10+fps drops using the DX10 client compared to the DX9 one. I had hoped that I might see a slight increase in FPS (as has been seen with farcry 2, so long as you compare like with like settings). DX10 is supposedly more efficient than DX9 at processing graphics on a DX10 card - It would appear the DX10 client is far from optimised at the moment. I'm in two minds as to whether Funcom will make much improvements with the FPS in DX10... the last DX9 reoptimisation (jan / Feb patch?) actually did improve things quite a bit for me - 5-10 fps jump on average I'd say. But in this case, they've been working on DX10 for a long time and this may be as good as it gets at this point. Still, the DX9 looks great in any case.

Scott