Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player has some questions

moralsemoralse Member Posts: 15

So, I just got my Box and I was wondering if I had to buy the new expansions that has just come out? Is it more directed at end game or would it be wise to buy it now? Because I would rather hold off on buying it if it's just end game stuff that has been added.

I've played the trial few weeks ago, but I didn't like my server too much, community wasn't very social or talkative. I'm kinda looking for a new server to start on pref with more english speaking players and not an inflated economy.

I'll be probably starting out a WHM and later going BRD with WHM sub, is this ok for first char? Because some people say to pick an easier class first to get the know the game, because BRD/WHM can be a bit hard at first. But I really like to go full support more than annything. 

And last, are linkshells easy to come by? And at what level should I start searching for one.

Thnx

Moralse

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Wings of the Goddess or A Crystalline Prophecy?

WotG is a full retail expansion with many zones and quests that will be open up to you. Also 2 jobs Dancer (DNC) and Scholar (SCH) were added with this expansion and without it you will not be able to unlock them. Most of the content for WoTG really starts kicking off 50+ (although you can start campaign battle at level 1), you will really not NEED the expansion before that unless you want to unlock one of those jobs then 30+ would need it.

A Crystalline Prophecy is a mini expansion that (at least as far as i can tell) won't unlock much at all and is more than likly geared for higher levels. This update goes like April 8th so anyone guess on what it will be like. If it is anything like I think it will be you will get basically more missions and maybe a zone opened up (Tavaznia [S] would be my guess). By preordering it you will get a special ingame item at the April update (which I can only assume will be before the 8th although nothing is confirmed). The only thing I can see helping lower levels is the augemnt system where you can take a base piece of armor and add some stats to it.

BRD is a good first job, you will get invites and you will breeze through. You might need to stop here and there for farming, but it is proetty much a straight line to 75. /WHM is an acceptable support job for BRD although if you are going to be pulling /NIN is better since you will have access to utsusemi and will be able to take 3 extra hits before you get damaged. BRD are squishy. If you have someone to pull insted of you your /WHM can come in handy helping with things like Barfira and Cures.

Linkshell ... just ask. Most people will be happy to have someone come on board. Start looking at level 1 if you want.

• moralsemoralse Member Posts: 15

K, so I'm getting the full game probably monday with all expansions and preordering the crystaline prophecy aswell.

If I were to go bard with ninja sub, which first class should I take to make soloing but easier the first 10 levels and also for doing some dunes from 10+. I was thinkin warrior.

And anyone else has some server recommendations?

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Warrior, Monk, and Red Mage are probably the best bet for getting to 10 fast. You'd be better off waiting until about 13 to 14 to start partying. It can get kinda' slow to party at 10 and you might just be better off soloing, even with no sub.

What makes you want to go BRD/NIN? NIN tools can get pretty expensive to someone just starting out. That and the sub isn't really useful until 20 and 24. Not to mention you have to buy the songs and scrolls (although a few songs and all the the ichi scrolls can be quested).

Only server I can recommend is the one I've always been on, Kujata. If you happen to choose it, let me know.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree with most of what ICON says except BRD is not a good invite job early on.It is not even a good job IMO for a new player.There is a big difference from +1 intruments and new players cannot afford that.I would say play a conventional job until you hit 30 then you have other choices and maybe some gil saved up by then.Bard IMO gets good when he gets his second tier of spells,sort of like a whm advancing from cure 1 >cure 2.

He is right the expansions are pretty much for the new jobs.The thing is that you might actually find a COMPLETE package with all the expansions cheaper than if you pay for it separately.The Dancer job is VERY strong to have so you might want to consider that.

The Dancer class has pretty much opened up soloing for those players that want to solo  or are having a hard time finding a party.You would need level 30 main job to take advantage of the Dncr class,because 30/15 would be your first self heal.Dancer class needs no MP to heal and cannot be interupted,so yes it is a valuable main or subjob,especially as a subjob.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I agree with most of what ICON says except BRD is not a good invite job early on.It is not even a good job IMO for a new player.There is a big difference from +1 intruments and new players cannot afford that.I would say play a conventional job until you hit 30 then you have other choices and maybe some gil saved up by then.Bard IMO gets good when he gets his second tier of spells,sort of like a whm advancing from cure 1 >cure 2.
    He is right the expansions are pretty much for the new jobs.The thing is that you might actually find a COMPLETE package with all the expansions cheaper than if you pay for it separately.The Dancer job is VERY strong to have so you might want to consider that.
    The Dancer class has pretty much opened up soloing for those players that want to solo  or are having a hard time finding a party.You would need level 30 main job to take advantage of the Dncr class,because 30/15 would be your first self heal.Dancer class needs no MP to heal and cannot be interupted,so yes it is a valuable main or subjob,especially as a subjob.

Agreed with Wizardry here.  Mage jobs can get expensive as you level just like jobs with consumeable items like Ninja, Ranger, Corsair, Beastmaster, etc.  I'd go with melee for a bit and DNC is a great advanced job.  I always reccomend leveling MNK to 18 then WAR to 37 and then deciding what melee job you want.  WAR can be subbed well with any melee job so it's going to help a lot to get it out of the way.  If you insist on a mage job i'd take either WHM or BLM to 37 (or both) and then look towards mage jobs like SCH or SMN.  BRD can be a good job and is in hot demand once you hit 75 but with all the +1 gear you will need and the Songs you'll need to buy it can be expensive.  Same goes for WHM and BLM too but you can skimp on gear a bit.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"