Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9800gt vs. gtx285

BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Do you think it is well worth it for me to upgrade to gtx285?...I still have the opportunity to upgrade for another 224 bucks through EVGA. I got my 9800gt in a bundle from newegg/ibuypower....I like it but wish to play newer games at high settings..i.e I really want to play AoC with dx10 at max settings with higher fps (right now I get under 20 and usually just over 10fps with current card..needless to say I just keep it on dx 9..but the difference is considerable)...as well as additionally future proofing my rig. I have x58 mother board with i7  2.6ghz cpu. The mother board is SLI compatible...so no ATI recommendations please.

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

bump

one last bump....would appreciate any feedback .I've tried googleing reviews..but they always end up talking about other cards or otherwise not answering my question...I swear..so many product reviews are so passive/aggressive these days. ,,,again , any opinions would be helpful....thanks.

• whatwatwhatwat Member Posts: 6

if you just plan to play some crappy ass mmos with a card like that and not farcry 2 or crysis then no its not worth it i have 2x 260 gtx sli my self and theres nothing so far i cant run perfectly at max settings

• durtondurton Member Posts: 86

Well my opinion is, if you can afford it do it.  I mean It sounds like the rest of your system may not be shiney new but it's far from old.  So I think that a new graphics card may be just what you need to play aoc on grest settings. I'm no tech but I'd say if you can afford it go for it.+

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will replace my 9800gt with Gtx285...then I can always add another a year or so down the road if I need a little extra..thanks again.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

My advice would be to cancel AoC and use the spare cash to help pay for your GPU upgrade. Besides being utter wank, AoC doesn't require anything better than a 9800 anyway so why not kill two birds with one stone?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would say its too early to buy a new video card.  That video card is only a year old.  You should wait 2 years, it can play most games on their highest settings.

If you wanted to play AoC on its highest settings, you should use an AMD card.  AoC favors AMD cards.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127

I would go for the 285. its the best card out there at 55nm. doesnt get hot like the 295 and is equal to 2  260's. If you didnt have to worry about the upgrade deal running out and was hurting on money i would wait for the prices to drop. Who knows, they might come out with a game that we need a good graphics card for some day...........GET the 285!!!! You have no choice, your mind won't  let yo usleep till you get it....time is ticking on the upgrade......280 is weak......think about 2 X 285 in the future in SLI...... MUAHAHAHAHAHA