Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is PC EXCLUSIVE!

2»

Comments

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I've been hearing that argument for the last ten years and it's no more true now than it was then. Consoles aren't going anywhere. There are millions of people playing online with consoles. Not sure if you are aware of this, but consoles have USB ports which allow you to hook up mouses and keyboards to them. This isn't the Atari 2600 era anymore. And as for your "it takes more intelligence to use a PC than a console" bit.. ROFL

A yep you can hook up a keyboard and mouse.. try playing a game now on your console duh.. dont work.

Man great come back .."ROFL" ..

Yet I dont think this is what the op was talking about. So lets stop hijacking this thread.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by grndzro

Mabye not, but it certainly takes more intelligence to use a PC than it does a console.
    Console's Graphics capability is more limited, so care must be taken to not overstress it, this can affect the overall graphics of the game.
    If they plan on making the game with DX11 SM3.0 graphics then making it for consoles would involve a lot more work. Practically double the graphics work since there is no platform that can run that yet.
    If it's only for PC initially no work need be done on a front end for the application, this leads to less and faster coding. A frontend can be made later.
    and lastly IMO MMORPG's should not be cross platform....if someone wants to game online then they buy a PC. The market will eventually kick consoles to the curb in favor of SFF PC's.

I've been hearing that argument for the last ten years and it's no more true now than it was then. Consoles aren't going anywhere. There are millions of people playing online with consoles. Not sure if you are aware of this, but consoles have USB ports which allow you to hook up mouses and keyboards to them. This isn't the Atari 2600 era anymore. And as for your "it takes more intelligence to use a PC than a console" bit.. ROFL

The PS3 and the Xbox 360 have the graphics card equivalent of a Nvidiea 7900 or I believe an X1800 ATi. So yeah they are 3 generations behind current PC cards. I have a 7900 card(waiting for SWTOR to upgrade) and while it runs most games okay it isn't great and large battles be it NPC or PvP drop my frames into the ground. I do realize that consoles are streamlined and perform better that their equivalent in a computer BUT they are still using old technology and are limited to that.

PS3 and the Xbox 360 will still be here in the next 1-2 years with the same old tech but there will be another generation or maybe even 2 of graphics cards.  Newer and better performing tech allows the developer to do more things even if it is having 601 players on the screen instead of just 600.

As for the USB argument. Most  purely console gamers don't want/or can't game with a mouse and keyboard. They don't want to learn something new and since 99% of the console games don't use a mouse and keyboard why should they start now?

There are major reasons why making it only for PC is just easier/better. Ranging from technology, coding, and cultures/market. The NEXT gen consoles might have a good shot at being homes to mmo's but current consoles are just too outdated.

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by Distaste

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by grndzro

Mabye not, but it certainly takes more intelligence to use a PC than it does a console.
    Console's Graphics capability is more limited, so care must be taken to not overstress it, this can affect the overall graphics of the game.
    If they plan on making the game with DX11 SM3.0 graphics then making it for consoles would involve a lot more work. Practically double the graphics work since there is no platform that can run that yet.
    If it's only for PC initially no work need be done on a front end for the application, this leads to less and faster coding. A frontend can be made later.
    and lastly IMO MMORPG's should not be cross platform....if someone wants to game online then they buy a PC. The market will eventually kick consoles to the curb in favor of SFF PC's.

The PS3 and the Xbox 360 have the graphics card equivalent of a Nvidiea 7900 or I believe an X1800 ATi. So yeah they are 3 generations behind current PC cards. I have a 7900 card(waiting for SWTOR to upgrade) and while it runs most games okay it isn't great and large battles be it NPC or PvP drop my frames into the ground. I do realize that consoles are streamlined and perform better that their equivalent in a computer BUT they are still using old technology and are limited to that.

PS3 and the Xbox 360 will still be here in the next 1-2 years with the same old tech but there will be another generation or maybe even 2 of graphics cards.  Newer and better performing tech allows the developer to do more things even if it is having 601 players on the screen instead of just 600.

As for the USB argument. Most  purely console gamers don't want/or can't game with a mouse and keyboard. They don't want to learn something new and since 99% of the console games don't use a mouse and keyboard why should they start now?

There are major reasons why making it only for PC is just easier/better. Ranging from technology, coding, and cultures/market. The NEXT gen consoles might have a good shot at being homes to mmo's but current consoles are just too outdated.

This argument is easily settled.

Consoles are best for games that require fast reactions within a time limit - such as action games and FPS.

PC are best for games that require multiple choices outside a time limit - such as strategic and RPG.

Personally, I am glad to hear that SWOTOR is PC only because, it seems to me, that it means Bioware is going to deliver a complex RPG.