Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I humbly bow and ask forgiveness...

soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

So after years of not playing the beast known as WoW, (I played for about 4- 5 months at launch) I was recently convinced by a few co-workers to give it another go. 

Let's just say I was wrong. 

I originally left the game because the community was becoming gawd awful.  The game itself was actually pretty damn good.  But the players...  So loving immature...  Since then I had been bouncing around between many, many mmo's, both free and p2p. 

So after hours of my fellow employees touting the merits of the game, and me bashing it, I decided that I would shut them up by downloading the trial and at least trying it again.  I'm glad I did.  Blizz has done a great job of of polishing this game up.  The community has actually seemed to mature with the game as well.  Given, when you have 11 million people playing together you are bound to run into a few jackasses, but for the VAAAAAASST majority the players have been really cool and fun to play with. 

Also, there is sooooooo much new content.  Almost too much.  But that is in no way a bad thing. 

So, if you're a former player like me that left and hated on the game for a while, I'd say at least give it a try.  Do yourself a favor.  If you don't, you'll be missing out on a highly polished and all around great experience. 

Once again, I humbly bow and ask forgiveness for my sins..  = P

And if anyone wants to play  -  Slowbeef - Tauren Warrior on Cairne  (low lvl...  literally rolled about 10 mins ago)

Comments

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

After spending about a month in the game once I hit the level cap, I realized there wasn't any reason to keep playing. I don't like raiding the same places over and over and over hoping for the loot drop that will help me run the same PVP instance over and over and over and over.

I find the end-game too much of a cookie-cutter experience, but that isn't to say the game isn't without its merits. Just once you're tired of leveling alts, the magic quickly wears off.

I much prefer a more open-ended end-game than World of Warcraft provides, but by all means, if you enjoy it, then ENJOY!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by nolf

After spending about a month in the game once I hit the level cap, I realized there wasn't any reason to keep playing. I don't like raiding the same places over and over and over hoping for the loot drop that will help me run the same PVP instance over and over and over and over.
    I find the end-game too much of a cookie-cutter experience, but that isn't to say the game isn't without its merits. Just once you're tired of leveling alts, the magic quickly wears off.
    I much prefer a more open-ended end-game than World of Warcraft provides, but by all means, if you enjoy it, then ENJOY!

QFT

WoW is a great game, in the beggining. It slowly loses momentum when you reach level cap and find your self repeating the same thing daily. New content is great, but after doing it about 5 times it starts to become a chore.

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by HDomni

QFT

WoW is a great game, in the beggining. It slowly loses momentum when you reach level cap and find your self repeating the same thing daily. New content is great, but after doing it about 5 times it starts to become a chore.

Anything does...  But that's when you take a break, and come back later if you want to. 

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352

I disagree but I'm not going to list why. It's mostly opinion. Once you hit end game you might agree. Or you just may find yourself enjoying this type of gameplay.

Edit: Been playing this game since open beta. My opinion on end game has been the same since I began playing.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by soap46

Originally posted by HDomni

QFT

Anything does...  But that's when you take a break, and come back later if you want to. 

That's why I was saying enjoy it if you enjoy it. My point was that end-game content shouldn't be repeating the same thing over and over. There should be no need for getting sick of it, taking a break and then coming back until you're fed up again. I'm looking for an open-ended end-game, instead of having a list (which always ends up too short with enough time) of things you can do. The "dailies" are a perfect example. I have to wake up everyday and go through the same routine, I don't want to log into my game to a similar experience once I hit the level cap. Then you're just waiting for an expansion with another 10 levels to start the whole process over again.

I'm not criticizing the fact that you're enjoying this game again. More power to you, since you are!

Just explaining why it wouldn't be "doing ourselves a favor" to give it another try for many of us who got to the point of quitting out of boredom due to the repetitive nature of the end-game.

Not hating on WoW or crapping on your enjoyment of it, merely responding to the discussion you started by recommending those of us who are done with it give it another try.

Now go forth, and WoW on! Just because I don't enjoy it anymore, doesn't mean you shouldn't!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Lol I remember when I left the game my raiding guild kicked me out of their forums on the exact same day and cancelled my login.

O_o o_O

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

New content is fun in almost any game.  The problem with WoW is that new content becomes boring in a 2 or so months after it is released (if you are already playing the game).  I suppose if you sit out for a while (like years) and then come back, there'd be more.  However, part of the problem is that a lot of old content has zero challenge to it, so it is useless.

• ChamberlainChamberlain Member Posts: 103

WoW is absolutely a great game, but the OP situation is the best situation to temporarily "fall in love" with an MMO.

Consider that I played the game beta, and from then, played straight until last month, when I finally retired my characters and got tired of running the same 3 raids every week.  When you keep up with it, and hit the next level cap a month after an expansion that's supposed to last 2 years comes out, then you have a different perspective.  And I'm not even a hardcore player, some hit the level 80 cap in Wrath within a few days.  

I've had similar experiences lately, since leaving WoW.  I played Vanguard, WAR, and LotrO very lightly when they first came out, and then left them due to bugs/disinterest but mostly to go back to WoW.  When I came back to these games in the last 60 days or so, I was enamored, and couldn't stop trumpeting the praise for them, until about a week, and realizing I didn't want to kill 10 wolves or gather 15 plants anymore.

So props to you if you're getting into WoW, with how long you were away, all the content should keep you busy for months.  You're going to see some amazing things in Outland and Northrend. 

As for me, I'm relegated to being a CoX player now.. and I enjoy the game, but it's more about social fun and character creation for me now, as even a sniff of the "Rush to level cap/begin end game content where you're judged based on gear" is enough to send me to the subscription cancellation page.

Science flies people to the moon. Religion flies people into buildings.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit?

You only rolled less then a day ago and you already take back years of Bashing a game?

What the hell could you see within 5-10 levels of WoW that would make you say it has so much content and is more polished?

The starting areas haven't been touched in years (unless your in BE lands).

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time taking you seriously with 10 minutes of playtime.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

Nah, I've been playing for a few weeks.  I just rolled a new char. to play as a new main.

• ShiinekoShiineko Member Posts: 161

This is how I see World of Warcraft: Sure, it's fun for a while, but then you get to the end... get all your phat lewtz then you wait for another expansion to come.... When you quit, you realize "WTF! I WASTED SO MUCH TIME IN THERE!"

You don't play the game when you are leveling up. You level up to play the game (at the end.) I don't like games like that, though I had been playing since July 2005 and just quit for my last time earlier this month.

Do I feel like I accomplished anything in that game? No.  I look back and realize how much effort I wasted.  How my addiction caused me to lose out on a relationship with a girl who was insane about me for a year, and I stopped feeding her attention due to too much pvp'ing to get better epic gear.

The only advancement this game has going for it is through upgraded gear-- which is trash.  Games need alternative advancement such as EQ or FFXI.  Give us level-capped content, as well, such as what FFXI had.

Seriously.  What's your reason for playing this game? Because all your friends from work play? Well, I shouldn't be the one who judge based on social aspects, but if you are wanting PvE then I would ask you to look for a better game. If you want pvp, and you looked at this, then I would slap you.  PvP in this game is TRASH. Classes are not balanced as they should be.  So many damn whining carebears destroying proper balance.

A paladin which has more health, armor, and has the ability to HEAL and do damage while immune from everything for 12 seconds, should not be doing more damage than a mage in greens. Greens, mofo. You get me?

• happyclappyhappyclappy Member Posts: 99

The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is spend another few hours listening to my co-workers. 2 of them play, 1of them doesn't want to play because he knows it is addictive and would rather spend time with his son, the other thinks it's a waste of time. Everyone else at work either has a 360 / PS3 or don't like games at all.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

My reaction has been the exact opposite. 

Every time I return to WoW, I regret it; it seems so linear, tedious, and then I realize I am building-up to ultimately raid.

It is too predictable; not enough exploration; limited customization options; everything and everyone is the same basically (depending on specialization); and so forth.  Please, do not get me wrong, I enjoy several of Blizzard's titles.  I am not "bashing" the company.  I simply dislike WoW because it lacks the features for why I play MMORPGs:

• Sense of freedom
    • Exploration
    • Travel
    • Challenging, yet deep and fun, dungeons
    • World feel
    • Character Customization (not just "class" customization or specialization; true and genuine customization)

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521
    Originally posted by declaredemer

My reaction has been the exact opposite. 

Every time I return to WoW, I regret it; it seems so linear, tedious, and then I realize I am building-up to ultimately raid.

It is too predictable; not enough exploration; limited customization options; everything and everyone is the same basically (depending on specialization); and so forth.  Please, do not get me wrong, I enjoy several of Blizzard's titles.  I am not "bashing" the company.  I simply dislike WoW because it lacks the features for why I play MMORPGs:

Sense of freedom
    Exploration
    Travel
    Challenging, yet deep and fun, dungeons
    World feel
    Character Customization (not just "class" customization or specialization; true and genuine customization)

WoW to date is still one of the best MMO in all those features you just mentioned, unless you happen to think some other MMO does it better.

• happyclappyhappyclappy Member Posts: 99

Everyone knows WoW is the easiest MMO in existence.

Yeah WoW does a great job of customising your character there are only 5 options!!

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Every time I logged into WoW, I got the strange sensation that I did this before in EQ back in 2001.... It was strange, that is why I quit in the trail period. I hated EQ.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Been playing WoW for 4 years now, along with my wife. We are still having a blast, especially with competing to gain achievements. Call it a LoTRO ripoff, but hell we enjoy it. I also raid Naxx, OS and The Eye with my guild weekly. Between that I do my dailies and think about what achievements will I tackle next. I've played many, MANY other MMOs besides WoW, but it seems to be the best polished and overall better balanced than most out there now.

I've noticed that with each expansion WOW seems to grow and cater to it's fanbase. This is a good thing. Soon they will be adding stuff other MMOs wouldn't even dream of trying because of lack of cash. Little things here and there that add to the game as it grows. That's why some players find it surprising on the return trip and others get that empty feeling after playing another MMO for a few months.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

I'm not playing because I want something that's "hardcore". 

I'm playing because I'm a full time college student with a double major that also works 35+ hours a week and want something that's fast and fun to play.  You know, something that I can play for 1 or 2 hours and accomplish something in the game.  Something that I can play and chat with my friends on vent.  Something that doesn't have a clunky skill system, crafting system, or anything else for that matter.  Just something polished, streamlined, and fun.  

I've played countless other games, and I'll admit that there are games that do some things better than WoW.  However, I just like having a game that has good everything.  (PVP...  eh... could be better.  But it's fun.)  Not a game that has one great thing and mountains of crap surrounding it.

I don't want to play something with 13 hour long raids.  That's not fun to me. 

And yes, i know what endgame is like.  I had a lvl 60 undead mage pre BC. 

And for anyone who thinks they are hardcore for gaming (not directed at anyone in this thread... yet), you're dumb as hell.  Games are about fun, not work.  You wanna be hardcore?  Go live in Darfur. 

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Been playing WoW for 4 years now, along with my wife. We are still having a blast, especially with competing to gain achievements. Call it a LoTRO ripoff, but hell we enjoy it. I also raid Naxx, OS and The Eye with my guild weekly. Between that I do my dailies and think about what achievements will I tackle next. I've played many, MANY other MMOs besides WoW, but it seems to be the best polished and overall better balanced than most out there now.

I've noticed that with each expansion WOW seems to grow and cater to it's fanbase. This is a good thing. Soon they will be adding stuff other MMOs wouldn't even dream of trying because of lack of cash. Little things here and there that add to the game as it grows. That's why some players find it surprising on the return trip and others get that empty feeling after playing another MMO for a few months.

Sorry for double post...  But this guy's got it.  Just have fun people.  Stop trying to be superior and just have some loving fun.  Not that hard.

Nice quote BTW Ramon.  Beats the hell out of mine.  = P

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WingmaWingma Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by templarga

I've noticed that with each expansion WOW seems to grow and cater to it's fanbase. This is a good thing.

Wow, someone on these forums actually gets what I have been saying for months now! Blizzard knows their fanbase and knows what they want and they cater to them. They put their fans first. Some deluded people here believe Blizzard should cater to those people who do not play the game which makes me worry if they do run a business.

Wow isn't perfect, but its a game for its fans. Blizzard isn't trying to please every gamer out there just the player who plays WOW. And there is nothing wrong with that  (at least not right now).

So why didn't Blizzard send out an invoice, "oh btw, our game is changing this xpack to cater to our new fanbase that we obtained by running Mr T in our ads". Sure, MMORPGs change (and no, its not evolution, evolution implies improvement) just like WoW has, but Blizzard had to trick all the hardcores into buying WOTLK  even though it wasn't their game anymore?

It is debatable whether or not the game has improved for the better, personally I know it hasn't, Blizzard has come to reusing their same content... e.g. dailies is just a bad excuse to do the same quests very day, achievements are just there recycle old or new content, raiding has been reduced to using old raiding instances not once, but twice in 10/25man forms because Blizzard is lazy.

So one could say, "lol blizz game sucks cause its got a new fanbase so it doesnt actually suck its just different", but in the end we all know they are just being lazy with their content rather then "applying to a fan base". They know their fanbase plays less then it used to and is rather stupid when it comes to game content, and they take advantage of that. Does that make it okay? (IMO, no it doesn't... they should send me an email saying that their game will have less content because casuals don't need as much).

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I've noticed that with each expansion WOW seems to grow and cater to it's fanbase. This is a good thing.

Wow, someone on these forums actually gets what I have been saying for months now! Blizzard knows their fanbase and knows what they want and they cater to them. They put their fans first. Some deluded people here believe Blizzard should cater to those people who do not play the game which makes me worry if they do run a business.

Wow isn't perfect, but its a game for its fans. Blizzard isn't trying to please every gamer out there just the player who plays WOW. And there is nothing wrong with that  (at least not right now).

Yep your right the WoW player base definetly wants limited instanced pvp, a tedious pvp zone, easier dungeons, imbalanced classes and daily quests that turn the game into a job.

Do you actually read the WoW forums? Alot of WoW players are so addicted they won;t leave but believe me those guys are bitching about the game and the direction blizzard is taking the whole thing.

I don't remember one person back in the day asking Blizzard to make WoW a Esport.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

[insert hate response here] and blablabla [insert vulgur hate response here] and finally the game is [hate response] and its not worth your time..

that pretty much sums me up

seriously though, the game to some is like drugs, so when finnally off it they decide to try again.. wow they liked it.. who figured

bash the wowers

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Wingma

So why didn't Blizzard send out an invoice, "oh btw, our game is changing this xpack to cater to our new fanbase that we obtained by running Mr T in our ads". Sure, MMORPGs change (and no, its not evolution, evolution implies improvement) just like WoW has, but Blizzard had to trick all the hardcores into buying WOTLK  even though it wasn't their game anymore?

It is debatable whether or not the game has improved for the better, personally I know it hasn't, Blizzard has come to reusing their same content... e.g. dailies is just a bad excuse to do the same quests very day, achievements are just there recycle old or new content, raiding has been reduced to using old raiding instances not once, but twice in 10/25man forms because Blizzard is lazy.

So one could say, "lol blizz game sucks cause its got a new fanbase so it doesnt actually suck its just different", but in the end we all know they are just being lazy with their content rather then "applying to a fan base". They know their fanbase plays less then it used to and is rather stupid when it comes to game content, and they take advantage of that. Does that make it okay? (IMO, no it doesn't... they should send me an email saying that their game will have less content because casuals don't need as much).

Interesting....I honestly feel you have a right to your opinion, but you cross the line when you refer to the players that actually enjoy the X-pack as being "stupid" or easily duped.  Any company that makes an effort to change and improve it's product as it monitors the way their players play the game (Yes they do this), gets my monthly payment.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.