Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game an RPG?

GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

I have been to their website, looked at their forums, and I didn't get any info about this game whatsoever, other than there are factions.  No FAQ, no introduction, nothing.

Not noob friendly?  It's like they don't want new people at all.

Anyways, can anyone tell me what this game is about?  Is it an RPG?  Are there skills, levels, classes, or is it just shooting?

Is it just PvP or is there any NPC combat?

Comments

• complexiatorcomplexiator Member UncommonPosts: 121

Its an RPG in a true form. As in stories/events are made by the players self and not by set out quests. Als player advancement is not set by attributes but by social ranking within your faction. 20 feb starts closed beta. For further info see:

http://forum.fomportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Sounds like a first person shooter, where players get to order new players around.  And if you aren't in with the in-crowd you won't go anywhere.

Sounds like a nightmare.

• Trojan001Trojan001 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

Sounds like a first person shooter, where players get to order new players around.  And if you aren't in with the in-crowd you won't go anywhere.

Sounds like a nightmare.

Depends what faction your in, some will accept you with open arms andteach you the game, some are less accepting of helping noobs, but you will get places, you dont need to be in the crowd, it is about social interaction and being active, not leveling.

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

Sounds like a nightmare.

Extremely accurate assessment.

I used to play FoM actively during its initial launch, I was also one of the few originally invited to the beta during its early stages.

It is the equivalent of a virtual playground where bullying is not only tolerated, but encouraged, and completely upto the player to figure out a means of bypassing. Which, if the player is very new, could prove to be impossible at times.

Back in the day, it was extremely common for a newbie to load in, and immediatly be confronted by gun-toting cyber bullies within the first five minutes of play. Behavior from these bullies ranges from asking people to holster weapons around them, leave there turf, give up money, etc (with death by way of bullet if one refuses to comply) right upto straight up extortion of funds, in return allowing the new player to pass "unharmed".

Oh, and you won't be able to adequately defend yourself either as a starting player against anyone who has:

(a) The lust for your innocent blood.

(b) Moderately developed there character and acquired gear.

I played LED exclusively post-launch, and saw not only many from my own faction who behaved like this on a daily basis, but also from every other faction as well. CMG being the least degenerate of the bunch.

As a comparison, players tend to complain at times about it being hard to start out in EvE, how you can be griefed, etc.. however, FoM is one hundred times worse than EvE in those aspects, especially for new players once the factions have all started gaining large bases of players.

• DMFD-MinisteDMFD-Ministe Member Posts: 4

MMO FPS RPG...extremely fun once you climb over the initial learning curve

• GoldenKillGoldenKill Member Posts: 7

thats harsh, lol, but atleast he favored my faction, CMG ^_^

By the way, he played early on, there are many improvements now its not bad...

• Echelon458Echelon458 Member Posts: 3

FoM is roleplay at its best! When I think of roleplay, I think of FoM.

• Skree333Skree333 Member Posts: 18

From what i remember Roleplaying was the main aim of it with the FPS as a decent way of combat and yes it Does not really have a PvE way of gameplay. If you have no interest in roleplaying then i wouldn;t play this but if you like roleplaying of factions and politics with FPS combat than it is a good game. When i played i don't remember to much bossing around of people sure they will tell you to put your gun away if you have it out in a area ether ran by law or of a faction other than yours but thats why you dont run around with your gun out for no reason or in a area in control of a hostile faction and yeah theres allways going to be the morons that just try to kill whatever but most of the time or at least when i played the game before they were easy to avoid ether by being in a police area or going around with someone else of your faction...

I have not played it yet in its current state yet but from what i've read they have still kept the game the way it was ment to be with just some improvements. I'll probably at least give it another try when i get the chance.