Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW CONTENT two weeks !

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ya i am sure most probably know this by now but i wanted to share a couple thoughts.Some may know i was not happy with the WOTG expansion,i felt they eliminated the hard work by re hashing old models/meshes/maps.

Anyhow this is about the new content.Yes we have to pay for it ,at least the add ons we do,i am not sure we get access to the new system or not, i think we do even if we dont buy the add ons.

The system sounds/looks good on the surface,even i like the idea.The one thing that bothers me,because i pay attention to EVERYTHING [lol] is that once again they are taking the easy way out.The BEST scenario would have been to add more NM's/quests/missions and a whole new slew of armour/weapons/items.

What is Square doing?? yep WOTG all over again,they are re hashing all the OLD gear and allowing you to add stats to them.remember i said i like the idea,there is nothing wrong with it ,it IS GREAT idea,it is just the alternative route they chose that bothers me.WHY?It bothers me because just allowing numbers to be added into the data system is  truly a simplistic way to create content.What this does however is give NEW players something to grasp,it is a BRILLIANT idea for new players and i am happy for that,the new players have been hung out to dry over the years.

So now we have a MUCH nicer gear system for new players and the Fields of Valor,is another brilliant idea.Honestly new players should be all over this game,tons of gear options now,albeit mainly with stats,and much easier leveling.Heck using the Book[valor] system gives tags? i think they are called tags,anyhow you get to use them to pretty much give yourself anything a party could give you."Regen/Refresh/4 types of food choices/RERAISE<<<biggie/Protect/i think 1 or two more choices]just brilliant ideas .I might add the options are like 5 choices,book 1-5 all offering very solid choices for even soloers,and everything is inside the same zone.

Back to the new content,it looks like it may originate from jueno,i approve of this,the game was starting to separate players further away from each other to the point where players act like hanging out in WHITEGATE is the yuppie thing to do.Everyone remembers lagging in jueno,but it was great,the game felt like a happening game ,full of life.Sure it may only be a passover from jueno to some kind of WARP to a new land,but still having more players passing by new level 20 players will be great for the game.This is of course only specualtion ,but the info so far seems to confirm Jueno as the place.This may very well get more players back to jueno,showing new level 20 players that the game is still alive.

There is of course a TON more information yet to come out on the UPDATE/EXPANSION i just hope,the rest is not re hashing old stuff,i want to see BRAND new content.I know we see the mandragoras are used again ,i guess they breed like rabbits ,so they are everywhere lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

I like most of what they're doing, except for one enormously small thing.

Chains came out when Zilart was done for the most part.

Treasures came out when Chains was done for the most part.

Wings came out when Treasures was done for the most part.

And now Crystalline will come out when Wings is NOT done for the most part.

They're not calling it an expansion, but I prefer finishing what I started before moving on.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ya i liked nothing about WOTG.They sort of lead us onto believe there was going to be a big comeback of the Catsith,then gave us what?a three part quest or something that never really finished.Perhaps the guy who came up with the catsith idea in the first place,no longer works for SE,but they loved it and just threw us a tidbit.

Personally i have no idea why they are calling this an add on?as compared to just calling it the normal expansion pack?why all of a sudden this different terminology?

It appears to me that these are going to be 3 mini games,that may coincide inFFXI,but are 3 totally different stories done by probably 3 different people.

One thing for sure,just when i figure Square has run out of ideas,they amaze me with at least something brilliant,so i am anticipating the new content,in hopes of yet another amazing feature.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Ya i liked nothing about WOTG.They sort of lead us onto believe there was going to be a big comeback of the Catsith,then gave us what?a three part quest or something that never really finished.Perhaps the guy who came up with the catsith idea in the first place,no longer works for SE,but they loved it and just threw us a tidbit.
    Personally i have no idea why they are calling this an add on?as compared to just calling it the normal expansion pack?why all of a sudden this different terminology?
    It appears to me that these are going to be 3 mini games,that may coincide inFFXI,but are 3 totally different stories done by probably 3 different people.
    One thing for sure,just when i figure Square has run out of ideas,they amaze me with at least something brilliant,so i am anticipating the new content,in hopes of yet another amazing feature.

I'd suggest finishing it. Cait Sith is in almost every mission and the story is not done yet.

The quests are there to fill in the back story of what happens with each of the cities without them you would be stuck with WotG: Bastok, WotG: San d'oria and WotG: Windurst in your mission list. Each story has its own plots with only the mission parts being the common ground. It is kinda how you have your Misisons 1 and 2 for each city being diffent while basically 2-3 to 5-2 are communal. The reason these three missions "never finished" is the fact that is isn't done yet.

I actually think that this expansion is perfectly timed. Where WotG leaves us is before the Battle of Tavanzia and IF i got my information right this new expansion is about the Battle of Tavanzia. This fight is really not tied into the rest of the Crystal War, so I would not effect the normal front. This is probably why it is an add-on. Doing it doesn't benefit you other than some added entertainment. If it was something that was needed it would be a new expansion.

• loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Wizardry 

It appears to me that you are complaining about something that you actually have no idea what it is about. They are not expansions of any sort, and won't be implementing any widespread game mechanics, areas, jobs, gear, etc that would "tip the balance of power" that not owning an expansion would. There is a very large difference in not owning say RoZ, CoP, ToAU compared to not owning the mini-addons they are coming out with. I would even go so far as to say that as of now you aren't really missing much with not owning WoTG.

These will be nothing more then a minor week distraction, nothing less, nothing more. You are reading into it too much, which is why the forego'd calling it an "Expansion" as that it isn't, while yes its expanding upon the main game, its not really adding any "content" or "substance", its just "fluff" or "filler" if you will.

A few months down the road after these release, you will forget they even came out. They aren't going to have any real impact on the game in any way. On a side note, the people whom are creating these are not the same team working on WoTG, they are two different teams, so development of WoTG and other systems have not been effected. Its more of a "side project". The same thing happened with ToAU and WoTG, SE is large enough to have multiple teams working on multiple content, which by the way, they have been doing for years considering they have been developing their "next flagship MMO" for years now...

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by loyaltrekie  Originally posted by Wizardry 

It appears to me that you are complaining about something that you actually have no idea what it is about. They are not expansions of any sort, and won't be implementing any widespread game mechanics, areas, jobs, gear, etc that would "tip the balance of power" that not owning an expansion would.

As far as you know.  You are talking about something you actually have no idea about yet either.  Perhaps you have to have the miniexpansion to be able to get the gear that you can add the stats to.  That is a huge change implementation in this game of which has never been seen before and as of now, noone knows if we need the new stuff coming out to get it or not (that i've read).  I agree that they probably aren't coming out with areas, and most definately no jobs, but who knows about the gear part or whatever you throw into "etc".  I haven't ordered this yet and I doubt I will.  10 bucks for this and then 10 bucks for the other 2 a pop.  I'll just wait until all 3 are released for 15 or 20 bucks and grab them then.  From what it looks like to be, it looks like it's going to start setting up the continuation of CoP and ZM where they converged so to speak.  Not sure exactly what is going on with it but possibly Whitegate area will be playing a role too as the only San d'Oria family we see also are in Whitegate Missinos and the gear described in the teaser released talks of Aht Urghan influence.

SE almost never fails to disappoint and even the stuff I railed against so hardcore seems to be working well.  I'm still not 100% happy about the Field of Valor but it seems to be brining in new players who can get on, solo for an hour or two and still get a little something done.  The only problem with this (and i know i'm getting off topic for a minute) is when they reach about level 50 and realize it's gonna take them 2 months to get to 51.  Even then they'll need help with getting items for G1.  *puts soap box up*.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

massively has an overview of the April update

www.massively.com/2009/03/23/final-fantasy-xis-april-version-update-to-include-a-mog-house-f/

We already heard that Square-Enix would be expanding the Fields of Valor and Moblin Maze Mongers systems, but now we get to see that there's much more in store for April's update. Things like brand new nation missions, more areas in game that support treasure casket drops, notorious (elite) monsters appearing in the campaign system, and the huge announcement of "item augmentation," a type of enchanting system for pieces of equipment.

Extensive white mage changes to be rolled out with Final Fantasy XI's April update

www.massively.com/2009/03/27/extensive-white-mage-changes-to-be-rolled-out-with-final-fantasy/

Job Adjustments and Additions Part I (03/26/2009)

www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/4266/detail.html

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Seriously, i don't know what wizardry talk about.

WoTG is awesome if you play the game properly. There is 3 NATION missions, yes the model are the SAME. However, how much time do you think does it take to make scenarios into works?

Trust me, try make a good game with RPGMAKER, you will see it yourself. It isn't easy.

WoTG added many new quest into 2 job quest and a campaign system, not to mention 4 different new missions for each nations and many new areas. Models might be the same, but these are all different areas we talking about.

AS for the exapansion, i would just buy it 100% just because this expansion seem to enrich player's perspective in each

important character's own story. I guess since the crystal allow you to see what they want. (I guessing Aldo get to see her dead sister! )

none