Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard And Microsoft Talk Xbox 360 Successor For Next-Gen MMO?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

http://wow.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blizzard-and-microsoft-talk-xbox-360-successor-for-next-gen-mmo/

Rob Pardo confirmed at the GDC 2009 that Blizzard Entertainment and Microsoft are talking about the Xbox 360 successor. And by the looks of it they want its successor to have a keyboard and mouse peripherals and tools to allow MMO and RTS gameplay on consoles. The potential is enormous. Imagine World of Warcraft, Starcraft: Ghost, Starcraft II and even Diablo III on PC and Consoles. It is the culprit of the Next-Gen MMO no doubt.

The future is looking brighter for Blizzard and all its millions of fans if Microsoft can pull the right cards off its sleeve and places them into the table to make it possible.

Rob Pardo: “There are are so many games like we make at Blizzard that we don’t take to consoles because they don’t support the input device, and you end up with crappy ports. That’s why RTS games never do well on consoles,” he said.

“If I was them, I’d be sitting around trying to figure out what’s a cool input device that supports all types of new kinds of games.”—

Comments

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

I don't get why people would rather play MMO's and RTS games on a console over a PC. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• UsedManateeUsedManatee Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by jakojako

I don't get why people would rather play MMO's and RTS games on a console over a PC. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Once you plug in a keyboard and mouse (which is not un-doable now), it's just a PC with very predictable specs that won't do much changing over the life of the product.  If it starts robust enough, then great.  However I won't ever be able to upgrade my graphics card on my PS3, whereas if this one on the PC burns out I can put something else in on the cheap in an emergency.  We're not talking NES's anymore, though.  They've already been PC's of sorts for the entire current generation, they just get shipped with control pads instead of keyboards.

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by UsedManatee

Originally posted by jakojako

Once you plug in a keyboard and mouse (which is not un-doable now), it's just a PC with very predictable specs that won't do much changing over the life of the product.  If it starts robust enough, then great.  However I won't ever be able to upgrade my graphics card on my PS3, whereas if this one on the PC burns out I can put something else in on the cheap in an emergency.  We're not talking NES's anymore, though.  They've already been PC's of sorts for the entire current generation, they just get shipped with control pads instead of keyboards.

to be honest i can see perfectly well what the console market is desperately trying to do.  Why should a product offer the same stuff as another product minus the upgradability?  because you will have to go back to that company and purchase a new product every time you want to upgrade (3-4 years in the console market roughly) this is pretty much the sole reason why they would want the PC market to switch to consoles.

While predictable specs and ease of use make consoles a bit friendlier to develope for and play, i don't see it as the replacement for a PC.  I do however see me playing much more of my console, i have said before that if an MMO offered a console version i would almost always buy it for grinding.  I would much rather grind on my couch using the (comfortable) controller and mashing my standard 4-5 buttons over and over.  To me that is way better than doing that haunched over a keyboard in the same old sitting position for ages.

So i see a space in the market for these consoles but not a replacement for a PC.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Can a MMO fit on a single Console Disc?

• LashayLashay Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Can a MMO fit on a single Console Disc?

Actually that's a good question and something that I think will be the number one barrier to MMO's on consoles, it's not like you stop someone mid game in a MMO to instruct them to load disk 4 so they can enter land X to do quest Y

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Final Fantasy mmo has been on both PC and console for over 5 years

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI

and still pumping out expansion content for both platforms