Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptops?!?

preticepretice Member Posts: 28

So i need a laptop for school, but possibly some games too.

Whats the best bang for my buck in laptops? (also id prefer it to have a webcam, cuz im going away)

Looking around the 800 range, canadian.

Comments

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Hmm, I don't think $800.00 will get you much for a laptop to play games.  I will look around and see what I can find.

Here are two that you can check out:

ASUS X59SR-X5 NoteBook

MSI GX630-028US NoteBook

The MSI may give you slightly better gaming performance but I have heard that they had issues with the keyboards.  I have tested a few ASUS laptops and I must say that they are very good laptops for the price.  Again, I am not sure how either of them would really perform for gaming.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • HalowHalow Member Posts: 71

Try this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152073&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Notebooks-_-MSI-_-34152073

Checked the specs on it and it should game just fine for even AoC on med settings. Not to sure on webcam but you can get a decent one for pretty cheap nowadays.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214

Don't you know they're called labtops? Haven't you seen that guy in the Blue Hippo commercials?

Seriously though, laptops aren't really very good for MMOs from what I've experienced. However, if that's your only choice try to find something with a decent graphics card and a good amount of ram.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

800 anything is not going to get you far.  My friend payed $400 (AUS) for a 2nd hand laptop that could just play WoW (lowest settings) and a lot of old games.  800 in the laptop market would get you something slightly more powerful than that.  I'd say at best your looking at a dual core with either onboard graphics or some crappy 8400 (laptop cards are numbered differently i think) card that can run a good number of games on low and a select few on medium.

Try some custom laptop websites if your brave, they usually offer some sweet deals but with your budget i would say your looking for a 2nd hand laptop.   No idea what the market is like in Canada but down here we have a few websites for selling stuff.

good luck :)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• kd5ywakd5ywa Member UncommonPosts: 29

www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=FRAE3P4XF1EA3KC4D3KFAGY

$900 and comes with a 9800m gs

Biggest negative is the resolution: 1366 x 768; but that's also a big positive, allowing your graphic card to play everything but the most demanding games on medium to high settings.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I bought one of the gx630's and they are amazing! I can play Age of conan with full settings and theres not a ounce of lag. Im experimenting with dx10 but meh, its still not ready. Thats the laptop that gets my vote!