Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Akward moment when Western & Eastern developers talk about Fallout at GDC

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It's clearly just a poor choice of words, but still pretty funny

kotaku.com/5184157/incredibly-awkward-moments-from-gdc-when-east-meets-west-meets-fallout

Pro tip: when two Japanese video game designers are your co-panelists, mind your references to the atomic bombing of Japan. It makes talking about future game development... weird.

Unfortunately, Fallout 3 designer Emil Pagliarulo from Bethesda Softworks unintentionally referenced that very subject during today's "Evolving Game Design: Today and Tomorrow, Eastern and Western Game Design" panel at GDC. It was an innocent poor choice of words, of course, an unintended flub that was both instantly cringe-worthy and darkly comedic.

After sarcastically revealing that he drinks cold medicine to find game design inspiration, Goichi Suda asked Pagliarulo whether Bethesda was planning on "a Japanese version of Fallout" to which the Fallout 3 designer said, "Well, what can we destroy in Japan?"

After processing that post nuclear destruction and an awkwardly long pause, Suda simply said "Wow..."

"I just realized how stupid it was of me to say that!" Pagliarulo said, surprisingly understandable with foot in mouth. Obviously, he didn't mean it that way, but it made the room a bit more ill at ease.

As Fallout 3 is already available in Japan and sold relatively well for a Western-style RPG, Suda wasn't asking for a localization, but one in a more Japanese style setting apparently.

Guess we need to be careful what we ask for.

Also, this was in one of the comments thats just too good not to include:

"If he had followed it up with "Sorry, I really bombed on that one...", I would have been on the floor. "

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Yikes..."wow" indeed.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Bwuahaha! Bad idea bears... XD

I lived a while in Japan... and boy... Japanese are very, very polite and - they prolly thought we Westerners are really just barbarians. We are always so sensible, are we not?

Just a sidenote: I never felt so relaxed than being in Japan with all those well mannered, polite people. I would have stayed there permanently maybe, if I had the chance. People in Germany (and in the West generally) are so unmannered and call that "honest". It is quite strenous. Its something we "Gaijin" could learn. Really.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

i hope he is fired for saying that

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Americans should not feel ashamed about using an atom bomb.  It was revenge for Pearl Harbor, and the millions of South-East Asian civilians Japan killed.  It also ended the war quick without costing more Japanese and Americans their lives by doing a full scale invasion of Japan.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Heh, pretty funny stuff, I like the "I bombed that" part you added. other good tags to add, "lets not blow this out of proportion"  "I'm sorry I don't want peoples tempers to explode"  "I can feel the discomfort radiating from the audience", ah puns they never fail to ammuse.

What I also find interesting is that he expressed interest in making a Fallout game set in Japan, wasteland Kyoto sounds good to me.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• BlackBilboBlackBilbo Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Americans should not feel ashamed about using an atom bomb.  It was revenge for Pearl Harbor, and the millions of South-East Asian civilians Japan killed.  It also ended the war quick without costing more Japanese and Americans their lives by doing a full scale invasion of Japan.

i agree, it hapened years ago anyway. but its still funny when people say something awkward, makes me laugh everytime:D

Anyone seen my Sword of Unholy Randomness? I think i left it near my Cheese of destructive purpose
    ---------------------------

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

For reasons best known to themsleves a school I worked for sent me and my Japanese students on a day trip to the Imperial War museum. Why my girls would be intrested in this I'm not sure.

The first hangar as you enter the museum is devoted to the history of the nuclear bomb.

A day trip.

The bus driver said he would pick us up again at 4.

They sat on the grass outside the whole time and never moved.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by stillkillin

i hope he is fired for saying that

He apologized on the spot and admitted that it was a stupid thing to say and that he didn't think...Ever say something that you didn't really mean at your job?  It's not like he's the president talking about the special olympics in a derogatory manner and then never really apologizing for it.........

yup, I just did that.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Uh... no, it wasn't revenge. Not in the least bit. Keeping the casualty numbers down was one reason, but another was because Russia was going to/had started to move to invade Japan, and the US did not want Russia invovled, otherwise when the war ended, they would've had to negotiate with Russia over the surrender demands and Japan likely would've been split into two. There were several other reason as well, but revenge was not one of them. Especially since they had already firebombed Tokyo to the ground.

On the topic of the slip, I have to admit... that's pretty damn funny, especially since his comment was extremely innocent.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I know your right, but it's pretty disrespectful just to have it come straight out of your mouth. I mean even though it happend long ago and we know why we did it, we must pay respect to them and the cause. Japanese took in a lot of respect for the Twin Towers, even completly removing them from a game in it's final develpment stages.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

I know your right, but it's pretty disrespectful just to have it come straight out of your mouth. I mean even though it happend long ago and we know why we did it, we must pay respect to them and the cause. Japanese took in a lot of respect for the Twin Towers, even completly removing them from a game in it's final develpment stages.

You can't compare terrorist attacks to a wartime strategy.  One ended a war that would have cost many many more lives on both sides, especially the Japanese since they weren't likely to surrender any time soon, and one started a series of conflicts that are costing lives every day.  The bomb was dropped because it had to be, the towers were removed from the game to likely sell more copies.

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• bluesessionbluesession Member Posts: 202

Yeah, atomic bombs are just a great way to end wars! Lets hope the USA enters a war soon so we can see a couple of "american" cities bombed to dust. :D

Whoops, you are already on war? since a hundred years or so nonstop you say?

Well you are lucky your arquitecture hasn't been destroyed yet... oh.... yeah those two were... whoops.. i guess is not that funny when the bad memories are yours, eh?

Seems the only country crazy, warmongering, bloodthirsty, moral lacking to use an atom bomb over other human beings, repeatedly (a lot more that twice, ask the pacific islands) and inside an enclosed enviorment which a planet is... the USA! So with luck... when your country starts the war with itself... you will blow yourself to pieces making the world a better place to be for everyone else.

Have a good day