Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Female Anime Lovers' Opinion Wanted

Fa+eFa+e Vanguard CorrespondentMember Posts: 190

This post is specifically to the ladies out there, and even more specifically to those of you that love anime.  I am trying to get my wife into anime and would like lists of your favorite anime.  Thank you in advance.

PS  Preferably shows that are on disk in the US, as we will be using Netflix to get them and newer shows, as I very well may have seen a lot of the older ones that you like.

Currently Playing: Aion
Trying Out:
Retired: The Chronicles of Spellborn, EvE, LotRo, WoW, VG, AoC, CoX, RO
Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Black Prophecy, Global Agenda, The Agency, SW:ToR, T.E.R.A.
Working On: The 5th Dimension (coming soon)

Comments

• Fa+eFa+e Vanguard CorrespondentMember Posts: 190

...and guys, if you have wives/girlfriends that love anime too and you know what they like, feel free to post as well, thank you.

Trying Out:
    Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Black Prophecy, Global Agenda, The Agency, SW:ToR, T.E.R.A.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

My friend likes all sorts of anime, Like Princess Mononoke, Lupin the 3rd, Cromartie Highschool, Slayers, Trigun, Hellsing, Azumanga Daioh and .Hack.

Mostly comedy and action, but then she likes that type of stuff.

Really I think anime is like anything else it has serveral different genres in it so it mostly a matter of preference.  What kind of movies does she like?

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

Well, you probably want something from the Josei demographic category, for inspiration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Josei

I would say trying Honey & Clover is a good bet.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I just know that a friend of mine, who's a girl, and some other friends of mine, who're not girls, all agree that Avatar: The Last Airbender is indeed an awesomesauce anime. Be warned though: it's aimed at 7-10 year olds so don't except something very mature, but it's fun at least.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Godliest

I just know that a friend of mine, who's a girl, and some other friends of mine, who're not girls, all agree that Avatar: The Last Airbender is indeed an awesomesauce anime. Be warned though: it's aimed at 7-10 year olds so don't except something very mature, but it's fun at least.

Well technically The Avatar is NOT anime. But I agree it's funny as hell.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

My female friends all like the same (male-oriented) anime I do.

I'd recommend starting off with the big names to just get a feel for what she likes. Try to get a representative from each of the genres- Sailor Moon, Naruto, Gundam, His and Her Circumstances, Ninja Scroll, etc. You might want to pick up some of the magazines with a number of manga in them, Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat; or try a magazine with just a general list of new releases (and usually a free dvd), Newtype or Anime Insider.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Kids yes/no?

If yes something like Spirited Away, would be something worth watching with everybody.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ah My Goddess, Angel Sanctuary, Avatar the Last Airbender, Card Captor Sakura, Di Gi Charat, Escaflowne, Elfen Lied

*maybe* Full Metal Alchemist

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Vendayn

female anime is hot, if you watch "fun" videos, you just have to turn off the sound cause their voices are horrible.

But pictures are a lot better, I know a good site that has really good female anime among other things.

Clever.

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

What kind of movies does she like - action adventure, sci-fi, mystery, suspense...all these can be found in anime as well.   

Some of my faves are.

Sol Bianca

Outlaw Star

Cowboy Bebop

Kiki's Deliver Service

Slayers

Armitage

Robotech

Blue Gender

Ghost in the Shell

Tank Police

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoko

Nausicaa (aka Warriors of the Wind)

Wings of Honneamise

Digimon

Ah! MY Goddess

Tenchi Muyo

oh my god I can list so many titles...like I said...ask her what genre she prefers and then try to find something in anime that matches what she likes.  If she is older than say 25 and have never seen anime before...she might never like it.    I like it because I grew up watching it with my brothers who controlled the TV at home - hehehe.   So it was anime all the time!

Oh and all these titles can be gotten on DVD.  Best Buy has a decent selection, so does Hastings and a few other stores like them.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

My friends really lik Full Metal and Naruto. Theres a few others that I know I would just butcher the spelling and would nothing like the title.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• preventer01preventer01 Member Posts: 2

i like honey and clover too and i also watched nana. some boyish animes are good too like slum dunk or KENSHIN etc, i'm a girl but i am a big fan of these animes lol.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Maybe start off with Pokemon and DBZ.  From there you can move her on to some more hardcore anime like Hello Kitty and Sailor Moon. 

One girl I know who wasn't big on anime started enjoying Vampire Knights or something like that.  I guess its different for everyone.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• Fa+eFa+e Vanguard CorrespondentMember Posts: 190

Thank everyone for your responses.  To answer some of your questions, she is into drama mostly, she likes crime investigation, and she even gets into some action if it's really good.  And I am an anime guru, I know most if not all of the anime you all have mentioned, I was just really trying to get an idea of shows that you lady have definitely loved...I was thinking about Chobits, Angelic Layer, Haibane Renmei, Tsubasa Chronicle...problem is, I've seen all of these and was trying to find something new that neither of us have seen.

To whoever suggested DBZ...that's so funny, you wouldn't think it, but any of my ex g/f's that I got into anime, it was from that show.

Trying Out:

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Mushishi is the best anime series ever made, hands down, but it's very quiet, beautiful and intelligent, and it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Fullmetal is a good choice too, as is Spirited Away.

Seirei no Moribito (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) is a traveling/character-driven series that has some of the best fight scenes (mostly with spears) that I've ever seen animated. Plus, it has a very strong female lead. The only downside is that only the first 7-10 episodes have been released, and there's no word yet on when the rest will come out here (to my knowledge). 

On the topic of strong female leads, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has a good deal of action and lots of crime/detective-related stories along with some very interesting characters.