Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A L10 review- Loving the game

Comments

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Nice to see you are enjoying the game Vesavius after your earlier doubts and worries,a nice review aswell.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Well I was on the fence on this one, but if Joy Division fans are playing, count me in! Really, with an instant free trial, and only having to pay about $15 bucks if I do decide to play longer. . . I can't find a reason not to at least try it out. 29 minutes left in my download.

(I'll add that the downloader is a real hog! Most of the time if I want to watch a youtube clip while a game is dowloading, it slows the download speed of the game a little bit. This thing makes it so youtube takes the hit instead.)

• Slasher29Slasher29 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Synthetick

Great review, Vesavius. It's Slaiyne ingame, haha, didn't know you were active here.
    The game is great, people. And if you're having a hard time finding groups and are have a P2P account, come join us on the PVE server, Radiance is always recruiting more people.

lol i didn't know  u guys posted here sla and ice  this Slasher  in game

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Lol Hi Slash :)

Yeah, like I said before, I take long breaks from mmorpg when I start getting sicks of the hatetrolls that seem to plague a lot o the boards.

In fact, I think this is the longest flame free thread I have ever been in on mmorpg.com... ;)

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by COORS

Excellent review Vesavius!
    And... I've seen you in-game. You were recruiting members for the guild 8+ yesterday but at the time my character was only lv 6. He's now reached level 8 and having a blast.
    So far, the game is very good. In all honesty though, the interface is a bit cludgy and could use a little work, but nothing ground breaking.
    I find the difficulty level refreshing. Mobs aren't on easy mode. You need to move and dodge to be effective in melee. Also, you are not having your hand held to complete quests and this presents an opportunity to explore and figure them out for yourself. Very nice so far.
    I have paid for the next 30 days and see myself sticking with this one.
    Feel free to contact me in-game. Character name is Ranvarian.
    Enjoy!

i have added you to friends, will send a tell soon.

Thanks Ves...

I look forward to hearing from you in-game. I'm on pretty much every night. Still having a great time.

Ranvarian

And... I've seen you in-game. You were recruiting members for the guild 8+ yesterday but at the time my character was only lv 6. He's now reached level 8 and having a blast.
    So far, the game is very good. In all honesty though, the interface is a bit cludgy and could use a little work, but nothing ground breaking.
    I find the difficulty level refreshing. Mobs aren't on easy mode. You need to move and dodge to be effective in melee. Also, you are not having your hand held to complete quests and this presents an opportunity to explore and figure them out for yourself. Very nice so far.
    Enjoy!

Thanks Ves...

I look forward to hearing from you in-game. I'm on pretty much every night. Still having a great time.

Ranvarian

Actually, your name wouldnt add to /friend.. i was gonna send you a PM today to ask about it.

I will try again when i get back on.

Enjoy!

Thanks Ves...

Ranvarian

Actually, your name wouldnt add to /friend.. i was gonna send you a PM today to ask about it.

I will try again when i get back on.

Ok thank you.

I will definately be on tonight, usually between 6 and 10 pm EST.

Ranvarian

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Trains? Check!! Think you just have to handle your own situation? Think again. make sure you are also aware of who is fighting around you and how they are doing. Situational awareness is essential. A train can ruin your day. EQ would be proud of some of the trains I have seen.

are the trains social aggro like EQ - or more like DAOC, where mobs mostly ignore bystanders in the train path

EQ was infamous for train "backwash" - woe to those that were in the path of the returning mobs

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

like EQ trains.

Originally posted by Slasher29

Originally posted by Synthetick

Great review, Vesavius. It's Slaiyne ingame, haha, didn't know you were active here.
    The game is great, people. And if you're having a hard time finding groups and are have a P2P account, come join us on the PVE server, Radiance is always recruiting more people.

lol i didn't know  u guys posted here sla and ice  this Slasher  in game

Heya Slash!

Ranvarian here. Cya tonight in game.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Well I tried the game last night.

I will say I liked the game from what I played. It is also borderline unplayable for me.

I have a really good system and a good internet connection as well.

The problem I have is for some reason out of the blue while running or strafing, I lose complete control of the character.

The damn thing either keeps running and wont stop, spazzes out and runs in circles or starts looking up to the sky for no reason while running in a circle.

I was told this is lag, however it happens SO OFTEN that I can't get anything accomplished in this game.

I also find it super hard to believe it is just "lag" when it started this on the tutorial ship with no people around and only 2 npc's.

I think it is something with the client.

I can easily play this game on max setting. I was playing it on a 52inch TV  in 1920x1080 res with all settings maxed to high, AA at 4x and AF at 16x.

The game looked great and had no video lag issues everything was fluid, except I lose control of the damn character when I run.

I took it back to defaults, which looks like crap on my huge monitor but I figured I would deal with it if it fixed the control lose issue.

Same problem.

I wanted to play this game, but without a fix for this lose of control in characters, I will prolly have to pass on it.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Margulis

like EQ trains.

Luckily I have played games with Ai like this before. Wow kiddies will have to adjust to this. Ai in Spellborn is about the best I have seen in any game. Humans always attack in groups and use tactics, if a patrol is near they come lend a hand too. If you are too close to a camp you will have endless attackers. Wolves hunt in packs and for some unknown reason dodo bird thingies are some of the most pissed off birds I have ever seen.

In dungeons you had better have support with you. I solo'd into one and was taking out groups of three and 4 mobs myself and thinking I'm all good and uber when right in the middle of a three pack I get trained from numpties running away from their mobs....goodbye Pep :(

Oh and Pep...I am seriously starting to hate death more than even in AC where I lost most of my gear. I could do a quick loot run in 15 minutes and get more gear but it takes days to get ranks back in pep. Whoever thought of that for a death penalty is either a genius or a complete asshat.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by skydragonren

I will say I liked the game from what I played. It is also borderline unplayable for me.

The problem I have is for some reason out of the blue while running or strafing, I lose complete control of the character.
    The damn thing either keeps running and wont stop, spazzes out and runs in circles or starts looking up to the sky for no reason while running in a circle.

I was told this is lag, however it happens SO OFTEN that I can't get anything accomplished in this game.

I also find it super hard to believe it is just "lag" when it started this on the tutorial ship with no people around and only 2 npc's.

I can easily play this game on max setting. I was playing it on a 52inch TV  in 1920x1080 res with all settings maxed to high, AA at 4x and AF at 16x.
    The game looked great and had no video lag issues everything was fluid, except I lose control of the damn character when I run.
    I took it back to defaults, which looks like crap on my huge monitor but I figured I would deal with it if it fixed the control lose issue.

Same problem.

I wanted to play this game, but without a fix for this lose of control in characters, I will prolly have to pass on it.

Sounds like a unique issue to you alone. By the way, are you using a MS mouse? That happened to me often in another game once and switched to a gaming logitech and all was good. Also disable sound at the driver and see if there is a difference.

You stay sassy!

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Well it can't be just me, I asked over zone chat if anyone else experienced the issue, and several people said they did, but only when they "lag".

So I don't know.

Originally posted by Tamanous

Oh and Pep...I am seriously starting to hate death more than even in AC where I lost most of my gear. I could do a quick loot run in 15 minutes and get more gear but it takes days to get ranks back in pep. Whoever thought of that for a death penalty is either a genius or a complete asshat.

And THATS one reason SB is more hardcore then  Darkfall lol

You cant take your PeP off to run through dangerous areas :P

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

In dungeons you had better have support with you. I solo'd into one and was taking out groups of three and 4 mobs myself and thinking I'm all good and uber when right in the middle of a three pack I get trained from numpties running away from their mobs....goodbye Pep :(

good news on 2 points

- public dungeons

- the unknown risk of trains

And THATS one reason SB is more hardcore then  Darkfall lol

You cant take your PeP off to run through dangerous areas :P

I completely agree with this. Even in Wow I got tired of all the idjits running around naked. Same thing will happen in Darkfall. It completely ruins the rp immersion for me and I am not even a hardcore rp'r.

In AC you lost gear but could exploit the system with wearing pricey objects in certain categories. You also gained  vitae but could burn that off fast. Pep takes forever to gain back and that alone makes me cautious of death more so than any other game....save perma-death but that is a moronic concept for games like these.

You stay sassy!

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by skydragonren

Same problem.

That sounds really strange..id recommend you bring this up either on the acclaim forums or frogster forums (or both) to make sure the devs are aware of it.

It may well be a hardware conflict or something,but it sounds like a major bug.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

Good review to the OP. I am having a blast playing TCoS which came as a total suprise to me. I have no lag issues at all unlike in WAR.  I have heard of others having issues - good thing you can play a free trial first. Combat animations are great as well and the PvP  has been done well.

Originally posted by Vyce

Good review to the OP. I am having a blast playing TCoS which came as a total suprise to me. I have no lag issues at all unlike in WAR.  I have heard of others having issues - good thing you can play a free trial first. Combat animations are great as well and the PvP  has been done well.

Thanks Vyce, appreciate it.

Glad you are enjoying it as well :)

• fmnch35fmnch35 Member Posts: 79

Well I'm glad someone is having fun and goes to the trouble of making a post about it rather than the usual trolling BS. Personally I think the options you give for crafting difficulty etc should be used as options on the Game List as MMO's are too complex to have such broad categories at present.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

This is my favortie game hands down, that I have played in awhile. It's the first game where I actually know the lore, because the quest make me read them. And that is a real good thing. Also, how can you not want to try this game. There is no $50-$80 fee for purchasing the game like most other MMO's. So that right there is a huge bonus. I'd say if you want to try out a game, take 20 bucks and buy you some acclaim coins and play one month. Getting to 7.9 is great and all, but getting to your mid teens and you will really see how engaging the combat is and how huge the world is. Put it this way, the main city of the game is Quaterstone. It's so massive it's split up into 6 zones. And each zone is a pretty decent size, and some of these zones have mines and graveyards as bonus hunting grounds. Anyways, just play the game. If you enjoy challenging games, then this MMO is for you.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by templarga

Again great review and be sure to /wave if you see Elidien run by. :)

Thanks El, nice of you to say. I will for sure, I play as Iceberg as well btw with Radiance :)

• stormiousstormious Member Posts: 63

Nice review. :)

It pretty much sums up my first impression after playing 2 characters to lvl 7.

A downside of the game though is that not a lot of people seem to be playing it. The EU server I'm on at least is quite empty I think (International PvP server, forgot the name.) Hope some more people discovers the game soon.

Been trying to decide if I should start subscribing or not, and I think I will at least pay for one month to see some higher lvl content. Seems to be worth it.