Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

story.

2»

Comments

• VagnerVagner Member UncommonPosts: 51

What I thought it was the next shadowbane!![ That sucks

• dembardembar Member Posts: 118

yep eve got it, sadly enough i dont like eve i never got attached to my avatar.

lots of thinks needs fixing but the excitment and fun like this hash been 10 years ago, i did have fun in wow killing high lvl bosses with my guild. but it never could compete with the fun i haht in uo

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Valetman

Originally posted by nethervoid

Good points.  I agree they need to implement city guards and gates that close.

Can enemy guilds bind at your city bind stone?  If they can't, that's about all the control you can muster, because your city is a local bind point for you and yours, while they must respawn elsewhere.

I'm not sure I'm going to like the city warfare aspect while the city defense mechanics are not in game.

*edit* I will agree then with the UO comment if all the OP wants is basically random pvp running around in the world.  Hell, even EQ on a pvp server has that.

there is no way for players to effect the gameworld in any way (which is where the game fails as a sandbox, no sand, never mind no buckets to make the castles).

This is just not true.  You efffect the gameworld by building or taking over a city.  Then you 'control' the area (access to resources and dungeons) because you can supply and bind in that city.  This is just like EVE and shadowbane.

If your enemy can use your banks and bindstone though, then it really makes controling the area harder, on top of the lack of NPC guards and closable gates (which I think they will add in - it would be dumb not to)  Again, I'm not in game, so do not have first person knowledge on that subject.

But you can't do this in many other games.  Pretty sure you could only do this in SB and EVE.  You can sorta do it in UO, except your enemy can never really get rid of your 'city', so it's not quite the same.  You can't do it in WoW, War, EQ, etc etc insert other games with pvp.

Yes city building and seiging is not working really well right now, but it's definitely something no other games besides the failed AoC have, and AoC doesn't really count because their cities are instanced instead of being part of the regular world whereby you exert your influence over the area your city is in.

Also, no other game I'm aware of has ship combat affecting seiging etc, excluding games totally based around ship warfare, which don't have many of the other features in DF.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• phrankphrank Member Posts: 238

This is just not true.  You efffect the gameworld by building or taking over a city.  Then you 'control' the area (access to resources and dungeons) because you can supply and bind in that city.  This is just like EVE and shadowbane.
    If your enemy can use your banks and bindstone though, then it really makes controling the area harder, on top of the lack of NPC guards and closable gates (which I think they will add in - it would be dumb not to)  Again, I'm not in game, so do not have first person knowledge on that subject.
    But you can't do this in many other games.  Pretty sure you could only do this in SB and EVE.  You can sorta do it in UO, except your enemy can never really get rid of your 'city', so it's not quite the same.  You can't do it in WoW, War, EQ, etc etc insert other games with pvp.
    Yes city building and seiging is not working really well right now, but it's definitely something no other games besides the failed AoC have, and AoC doesn't really count because their cities are instanced instead of being part of the regular world whereby you exert your influence over the area your city is in.
    Also, no other game I'm aware of has ship combat affecting seiging etc, excluding games totally based around ship warfare, which don't have many of the other features in DF.

97 City construction points in a "huge" world and you think you really control anything? You control a few hundred or thousand feet out from your bindstone. Hell I would just walk around your city and not even pay you any mind.

You just don't get what was meant by actually having a effect on the world do you?

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Glad to hear your having fun!  Regardless of what everyone says that is the important thing!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by phrank

97 City construction points in a "huge" world and you think you really control anything? You control a few hundred or thousand feet out from your bindstone. Hell I would just walk around your city and not even pay you any mind.

You just don't get what was meant by actually having a effect on the world do you?

I guess you never played shadowbane or eve.  You get close to that city and it has inhabitants online, you're going to be dead.  You run around the city, and 10 or 15 people just rain arrows down on you until you're a corpse.  So yeah I would say you're having an effect on the area.

In shadowbane our city was close to a high level spawn of rank 4 trolls we used to farm a lot.  It was a really great spawn of mobs because there weren't that many rank 4 spawns around (pre expansions).  So we 'controlled' that resource by constantly farming it and patrolling it.  We didn't want other guilds and cities accessing that resource because it was a great gold generator.  When neutrals or enemy guilds were spotted close by, we would call in reinforcements from our city nearby, and send these guys back to their spawn points, which generally were very far away if they were an enemy guild.  So we did control and have an effect on the world.  Players got to choose who had access to what.

Again my assumption is, because I haven't been in DF to see for myself, that having a city near say a dungeon or area of nice resources (like rare minerals or something) you can exert control over access to that dungeon much in the same way you can control access to complexes and space in EVE by scouting areas and killing any neutrals or reds in that area.

What's your definition of 'having an effect on the world'?  And in which games have you observed this form of play?  Maybe we are defining effect differently, although I'm not sure how you could have more of an effect on the world given current limitations in game software design (without throwing a billion dollars and people at it).

nethervoid - Est. '97

• ValetmanValetman Member Posts: 102

What's your definition of 'having an effect on the world'?  And in which games have you observed this form of play?  Maybe we are defining effect differently, although I'm not sure how you could have more of an effect on the world given current limitations in game software design (without throwing a billion dollars and people at it).

The poster you replied to got what I was saying I think, but I'll try to explain better.

You arent having an effect on the world by building a city, because the world was designed to have that city at exactly that point.

They are, in all practicality, pre built cities, you just have to grind cash and mats to 'materialise' them in the world as it were.

As you rightly said, you can indeed kill someone walking around your city, but you can kill someone walking around any city, in the wilderness, or pretty much anywhere anyway, the game mechanics, and the game world, are no different inside that city than outside, there is no depth to the city mechanics at all.

As to what you could have, I alluded earlier to having hired npcs that control an area around the city , agressive to anyone other than your clan and its allies, this would change the game world.

As examples of games that allow that, star wars galaxies, especially early galaxies. The difference there was , and still is,cities are built where the player chooses, and the player puts whatever buildings they want wherever they want , in whatever order they want. They could add clone centers (bindstones)  and shuttle ports (travel nodes) , and the owning players gained cash from others using these facilities (there was a global cost for these anyway, even in npc cities). This actively changed not only the surrounding environment , but the world as a whole as well. (enabling far distant spots to be reached much easier, for instance).

In the early days, there was a game mechanic  for city malitia to declare war on single individuals whilst inside their city, which for a game that was not open PvP, actually changed the games ruleset within the players city grounds.

That is a true sandbox, there are tools for the players to make an impact on the world, change it , for the better or worse , and that is why I say that darkfall simply lacks any depth to its game mechanics.

I don't know.  I feel it's changing the world because people live out of that city after they've built it up and police that area, just like in shadowbane.  But I also agree its in very mild form currently.  It would be nice (and I'm just assuming they will, if they have the money) if eventually they add more things you can effect.  NPC guard towers, etc.

City crafting centers are one effect correct?  Also, can people set up shops with their crafted gear around that city?  That would change the world quite a bit, much like you said it did in SWG (I too played early SWG, although it was before 'official' cities - I ran a gun shop outside of Mos Eisley [spelling]).  If before the city is built there's nothing, and then with the city you have a local populace, a market for wares, and controlled access to local resources, then to me that's an effect on the world.  It's definitely a lot more effect than almost every other MMO out there.  You can't even build a house in WoW.  And in VG you can bulid houses and guild houses, but the only functionality they have is storage of items.

I'm thinking DF is much like EVE was when it first released.  Since we don't know if it will fail or blossom, we'll just have to wait and see.  If devs keep building content, like CCP has with EVE, DF can be a really awesome game.  At least it doesn't have the .exe crashes that SB had.  lol  Although it sounds like the disconnect bug is similar.

nethervoid - Est. '97

• jojotheduckjojotheduck Member UncommonPosts: 19

UO .

10 years ago.

Actually, several things make it not possible for that to be UO. "look around", "looks up the mountain", "arrows flying over our heads", all not possible in UO (considering its 2d.)

• phrankphrank Member Posts: 238

The poster you replied to got what I was saying I think, but I'll try to explain better.

I totally got it but Nethervoid didn't get what I said. What I mean about walking around your City Nether is the map is "huge" (yeah whatever). So I can totally skirt around your city and limited zone of control.

Let me make it clear for minds that are of limited intellect.

For example you control the Denver pre-ordained building site, I go through Wyoming to "go around your city", you have no effect on me or my world at all. Is that any more clear? That is what Valetman is trying to tell you also in case it went over your head.

• schloobschloob Member Posts: 160

Totally cool story dude!

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Originally posted by dembar

what game can give me this

6 friends go out and hunt and explore the world have a chat on ts with each other, walking at the foot of a mountain ridge.
    Suddenly arrows are landing near our feet we look around and see nothing, one of us looks up the mountain and sees 2/3 person standing there, we ignore them and and walk on, then suddenly even more arrows start to fly past our heads. and again we look up. Now we see around 10 men and another and another shows up at that ridge. we decide that a tactical retreath ( RUN LIKE HELL) is the best option. For what ever reason they dont follow us and we are having a laugh about this on ts.
    we contineu exploring and find a fort and we are killing some humanoid monsterrs that seem to habbitat it. after 10 15 min one person on its mount is running our way and starts to hit one of us. we all move in to fight that person of and he runs away. we follow it until a small mountain appears and 6 other horses and there riders are standing on top of it. we decided that running away this time would be no option, and decided we let them come to us so that we can use range attacks before they come close enough for melee battle. they start running our way and we start to fire magic and arrows at them. then suddenly all 7 of them turn around and start running away, we are laughing our asses of 7 good geared men running away from 6 with mostly junk weapon and armor on. we decide we will chase them a litle and try to atleast kill 1/2 of them, The suddenly we see alot of arrows flieng over our heads towards the enemy. we look around and around 8 alfar of a other clan is chasing them. that was so funny we laughed atleat 15 min about hwo we thought we scared them off only to relealise that it was not us but the army in our backs.

next day 5 of us decided to haed out deeper into miirdain terratory and kill some people. packed and sacked we head out from the Hamlet we may use from a friendly clan, and after 5 or 6 min we see a mirdain and give him chase. he runs towards a wilderness bank and when he is about do die suddely we are overrun from our backs by 10 people all shooting arrows and high lvl magic (yep higher lvl magic is starting to be used more and more) because they where better geared and higher lvled as we where they defeated us very fast. so not even 15 min after we left camp we all spawnt back naked in the hamlet. where we laughed our asses of because our pvp night was ubrubted very fast and that we really needed more work on our gear and skills to be able to go enter enemy terratory before we do this again.

Nice story. Is that from Braveheart?

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

Originally posted by phrank

I totally got it but Nethervoid didn't get what I said. What I mean about walking around your City Nether is the map is "huge" (yeah whatever). So I can totally skirt around your city and limited zone of control.

Let me make it clear for minds that are of limited intellect.

For example you control the Denver pre-ordained building site, I go through Wyoming to "go around your city", you have no effect on me or my world at all. Is that any more clear? That is what Valetman is trying to tell you also in case it went over your head.

Labeling everyone else stupid obviously makes you the smart one.  You win.

nethervoid - Est. '97