Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Origins: MJ speaks

gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

It has been a long time since MJ has spoken about DAoC so I thought it appropriate to alert people to the response MJ made in a WAR forum and his subsequent 11 replies after it was cross posted to the DAoC forum.

http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_general_board/b5176/110428770/p1

It's a cross post - obviously - but I assume that mmorpg.com folks will discuss in this thread.

Comments

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Thanks for posting that.

I guess I just find it odd as they had the overwhelming positive feedback when they started the poll and were talking about Origins... and released the FAQ for it.

Then they go silent for months.. VN finally locks the Origins board (claiming it was just trolled .. as opposed to the reality of people asking for info etc)

And now suddenly he says there wasn't support for it...

How odd.. because they said (as I said at the start) after they first announced it that they had overwhelming positive feedback/support ....

Funny how things change I guess.

/semi ramble..

I can understand that EA may not want them to put resources into it.

I can understand that WAR may not be where EA wants it to be and thus doesn't want to put any more resources into DAoC and/or whatever.

However, I honestly can't believe that there are not more people who quit WAR and don't currently play DAoC than the 3,000'ish they have world wide most of the time now... (concurrent numbers obviously).  You can see the current world wide numbers just by going to the Camelot Herald... they have at most enough concurrent population to justify one server.. let alone 4 clusters and what they run in EU... or the PvP server that normally has around 8 people on it.

Somehow I still feel like I wasn't told the truth... I'd rather just hear "its not going to happen".

I don't even need to know why.. but I'm sorry I would put money on the fact that more people would come back for Origins than DAoC has total now...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Thanks for bringing this here, I would have missed it on those other two sites.

Well, people might interpret it differently, but I'd say right now the possibility of an Origns server is pretty much zero.

With the economy such as it is, they aren't going to invest a lot of cash into an older game because so far, no game really has proven to be really profitable after its declined as far as DAOC has.

DAOC - RIP      I had some of my best gaming experiences on it and will always remember it fondly.

Looking forward to the future now, which won't be including Mythic games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Like Antarious said, I'd rather hear a definitive "no" rather then having them sidestep the issue.  I was thinking of resubing to DAoC to wait for Origins but with that latest statement I don't think I will.  Maybe it's time for me to file DAoC under "nostalgic fond memories" and let it go.  It's just not worth thinking about anymore, wondering if anything new will happen with it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

Well that's it for me. 

Thanks DAoC for some of the best gaming years of my life.

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

It's interesting that some companies had rather kill their game than give their customers what they want.

I also had been thinking about resubbing, but not now.

Ion

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Amazing. This is a marketing disaster for them.

They dangle the carrot of Origins to their playerbase then turn a 180 degrees and won't follow thru.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I am definetly liking my time back in DAoC and will enjoy it as far as I can go.

But apparently EA / Mythic has there team in WAR and has forgotten about DAoC, a game that they got alot of ideas off of in the 1st place.

Shame on you MJ!

I know you guys dumped alot of money into WARHAMMER, but I believe WAR doesnt have the same magic that DAoC possessed. Dont get me wrong, I hope WAR gets better, its newer and you got more money pouring into it than DAoC, but I think you folks are making a big mistake forgetting about DAoC and fanbase.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Thanks for posting this since they are silent about the topic on Camelotherald.

Amazing.  It's been months since they even talked about Origins then say there's not enough interest.  The same brilliant marketing they showed throughout DAoC's run is alive and well.  I was looking forward to going back.  OH well...R.I.P. DAoC 

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Yeah, I was already disenchanted with Mythic after they hosed up WAR by trying to squeeze in WoW2.0 for some extra players under our noses, but with this announcement, I'm officially done with them. The last of their respect has been spent, and it's unlikely we'll see RvR done quite as well as the old days ever again.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• stine96stine96 Member UncommonPosts: 45

MJ sold his soul when he shook hands with the devil that is EA.