Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long before this game closes down?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

As the title says. How long do you think it will take for this game to follow games like Mourning and Dark and Light and close down?

Comments

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

not long, the game is one of the worst mmo's ever released, if not the worst, YES even worse then dark and light.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yeah kinda figured as much because the reaction I am seeing on these forums are quite similar to those seen when Dark and Light and Mourning were released. Hence this poll.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Yamota

As the title says. How long do you think it will take for this game to follow games like Mourning and Dark and Light and close down?

It will never close down. Pvpers like this game, and as long as they only keep one server up it will last forever. :P

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

it wont close down in 1 month or even 3.  There are still plenty of people out there wanting to test the game and we have not been given access to the shop yet.  Once all that cash is in the game they could easily keep going for about a year and hope they find a loyal playerbase big enough to keep the game afloat (they will). 

In short...no it wont close down soon

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• TowlieFTWTowlieFTW Member Posts: 69

Ill give it a year, once the hardcore fanbois get over it and everyone that wants to try it gets in and figures out is BLOWS.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Hotjazz

It will never close down. Pvpers like this game, and as long as they only keep one server up it will last forever. :P

Im PvPer and I dont like this game. Reason being is that it doesn't seem particulary well developed with tons of bugs and missing features.

Not all PvPers are bloodthirsty freaks that just want to gank people and nothing else.

• RagrozRagroz Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by HallMonitor

For all practical purposes, it's already closed down.

Is it "open" yet ?

and your sig sucks

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I think it might survive a few motnhs before they sell it to SOE.........

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Angie-PvPAngie-PvP Member Posts: 87

It will not be long before the game goes belly up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If it closes down it wont be until after the summer. It all depends on how good Mortal online is, what I seen from it looks very intresting and it are after the same players as DF.

I don't see it closing down without the release of a better PvP game. The final nail might of course be when Guildwars 2 comes out (probably late 2010), that game will be hard on all PvP based games.

So If MO is good I'd say 3 months after it's release, otherwise 2011 if it havn't improved a lot by then. But you never knows, some people seems to like the game and they don't need that many players to keep it running.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I'd say that will be greater than 6 months.  Maybe a year or two.  Until something else comes along for this niche market, I don't think the fans will leave.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Well, WAR is already closing up servers and following Conan's trail.. And they really put some effort on marketing and game developement - and it still wasn't enough to please the masses... I'd give Darkfall approx. 3months until they disappear. Of course they might get this much rumoured miracle patch that solves everything. But then again, I don't believe in fairytales anymore.. :)

Anyways, who cares? There's like fistfull of people willing to play the game and pretty soon they get bored to skill and trademats grinding.

• MasterRyuMasterRyu Member Posts: 26

Hopefully, it lives on and become a success story.  Realistically, I can see it going fine until the release of Mortal Online.  Obviously if Mortal Online has a bad launch too, Darkfall will benefit.

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Well full loot pvp has a small player base and since AV cut most of it's features they have no hope of more people coming in to try it. add to that dated graphics and major bugs , plus now we hear of hacks and game killer cheating going on i don't see this working out for too long. is a shame with the features they had listed i , even tho i hate full loot pvp would have gave it a shot.. but now it is no more the a silly gank game with a few thousand fanbois playing..i would guess that they cut more then half the good features and left only what is need to gank each other..

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by TowlieFTW

Ill give it a year, once the hardcore fanbois get over it and everyone that wants to try it gets in and figures out is BLOWS.

What he said. Though I don't know what the terms are of any debt they have incurred is. Someone might pull the rug sooner. It appears they can not afford any staff beyond the original dev team. Whether it's possible to run a game with no staff remains to be seen. AV meet mr rock and mr hardplace.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Lol. People like their illusions...

• ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by templarga

Personally, I think its up to Aventurine. If the game is in the state that I believe it is (going by many, many posts I have read - I always assume it is worse than the fanbots say but not as bad as the haters say), Aventurine has some work to do. First, they need to release more servers. Second, they need to stabilize some technical issue. Third, they need to deal with bots/cheaters/hacks and do it quick. Fourth, they need to update the website and make the website more accessible to curious players. Fifth, they need to do some interviews/state of the game addresses to let the players know what is going on.
    IF they do all of that, in a reasonable time, then the game will do well. Well by its standards - meaning a small, dedicated fanbase that will be enough to keep the game profitable.
    If they do not do that, the game will start to lose players. Some at the end of this month, some as other games launch, etc... And this a is a huge problem with the game and with all PVP based games.
    Just like raiding based games (end-game), PVP based games need people. And they need a lot of people. Exhibit A - DAOC. Many will tell you that is had some of the best PVP to date but they don't play anymore. #1 reason - lack of population. Exhibit B -Age of Conan. Ask those who made it to the end game and many will tell you they left because there were not enough people to do raids and PVP.
    The problem with this is that it acts as a snowball. People leave. Less end action. More people leave. And the cycle will continue.
    With Darkfall, if the population begins to dry up, the game will hemorhage players. For example, if many in your guild quite, and you can no longer defend your city, then what's the point. Either find a new guild or quit. Usually when a game loses a lot of players, a couple guilds begin to fight for control. Often these guilds are not the best guilds on the server, just the ones with the hardcore players or major exploiters. Players get frustrated and leave.
    Aventurine will have to be sure this cycle does not occur. I have played MMO's for over 8 years and seen this cycle many times, in all kinds of games that have a very inconsistent end game. Right now, both AOC and WAR are suffering from this cycle and doing things to try stop the bleeding. The question is if they can. And the question for Aventurine is not will they be able to stop it but can they do anything to prevent it in the first place.

Don't bother posting a long post in a thread like this. You should improve your troll-noticing skills though.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Lol. People like their illusions...

You know about thier bond? Kind of worrying they can't even afford to put up new severs.  Or are you suggesting that all the fanbots are dillusional. Kind of unclear which side of the fence you are on. I guess from the lack of clarity a fanbot?

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

After detailed research, analysis and pondering: It's pretty much fucked.

• PrometeuPrometeu Member UncommonPosts: 33

pvp for guild assets is not going to die easy. It's here to stay unless ome major things happend to it!

Always a Keeper of The Dark Side [KDS]
    Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

• TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234

As long as they can keep making a profit it will keep running, there is really nothing like it out there so it has a unique niche, now when other open pvp games come out it may run into problems ( or if the other games are horrid it may bring allot more to DF ), but as long as they meet the margins the game will continue, so it could end in a week or in 10 years only timke will tell.

DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by erinys

not long, the game is one of the worst mmo's ever released, if not the worst, YES even worse then dark and light.

A statement like this just shows that you are blindly attacking something you have never played.

Dark & Light wasn't playable and nothing worked. Darkfall works fine and the majority of the promised features are in (I'd say 80%).

It definitely needs more polishing, and we are pretty much paying to beta test the game. But I have to give them credit for making it only a limited release and trying to improve the game little by little.

Since launch, the game HAS become more and more polished. They went from 4 hour queues one week to no queues at all now. There is progress being made.

The game is insanely fun. I would not trade my Darkfall account for any other MMO account.

• BlasphemareBlasphemare Member Posts: 16

nvm lol

• XemousXemous Member Posts: 255

Yeah kinda figured as much because the reaction I am seeing on these forums are quite similar to those seen when Dark and Light and Mourning were released. Hence this poll.

Thats just in this forum

DF forums has like like x40 more viewers and hardly any troll posts such as this.

The people playing the game have found their promise land.  The ones that say it suck dont understand what its about, they look at it from a traditional mmo standpoint.  And thousands more are trying to get accounts.  LOL yeah this game is going down the drain.