Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this still the best fantasy sandbox?

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

Hiya, i recently downloaded the trial of UO and am playing on the Atlantic server. I used to play UO years and years ago before the expansions and remember the amazing feeling of first stepping into a proper fantasy sandbox universe.

I know alot of people really dont like UO as it is in its current state but is this actually still the "best" fantasy universe anyway minus the changes that people dislike? I do love some of the features still such as the skill system, the pvp and the crafting, i find it still has a nice sense of adventure aswell with good character customisation via the skill sytem and good advancement, ofcourse the game also has alot of content too.

I am just wondering though whether for people who like this kinda of mmorpg, sandbox fantasy style mmorpg's, if this is still a viable option and was wondering if th reason people dont like it is because of any real very bad game flaws that have been put in place or if people who dont like its current state are mainly people who just really miss the old feeling they got from the game years back.

i would really like some opinions on this and perhaps some reccomendations.

if you reccomend a different game, plz dont recommend Darkfall as i have to wait for their new payment options before paying for that game anyway, also not eve as i am currently subscribed already and not ryzom. i am looking for a good fantasy mmo.

Thanks

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• solarfoxsolarfox Member Posts: 53

no its not

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Yes it is!

Just too much outdated...

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by solarfox

no its not

Dont just say "no its not" and give absolutely no opinion on it whatsoever do you really think i care about what you write without any kind of content to your post?

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
    Originally posted by iZakaroN

Yes it is!
    Just too much outdated...

Ok but outdated in what way?? im asuming your talking graphically?

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I play UO on Europa and enjoy it but I dont think its the greatest Sandbox game out  there ...well rather let me mention the issues I have with it

• Graphics are outdated ,,even with KR
    • On my server the game has become completely item-centic .There are veterens running around with uber powerful items that you can never get unless you grind all day or pay Gold Farmers .The economy is messed ..peeps want 10-30  m gold for items
    • I dont know how much questing  and exploration there really is to do in the game outside of PVP ...how many times can you do Doom ?It gets monotonous after a while

The game is fun ...just not fantastic :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

Thanks for the response bcrankshaw.

Thats a shame if its become a game with complete item centricity (is centricity a word?) :P

and an overblown economy with lots of gold farmers.... is it really bad in comparisosn to other games in this department?

I do still enjoy the game on certain points but hmmmmm wondering whether to actual sub or not still.

• StymieStymie Member Posts: 18

I don't agree that UO's graffics are bad. No, they are not the graffics of a modern 1st person MMO. I prefer to think of them as Simplistic. They are very detailed, but still easy on your eyes. A lot of the 1st person graffics hurt my eyes after a while. I can play UO for hours and never have that problem. Some people don't like the down view that UO has, where I think it gives a great perspective to see what you face and react to it.

There are always things to do. And if you are in a good guild, there are tons of stuff to do in groups that could never be done by yourself. And that's what a good MMO does is bring people together and foster community. I have said that in post after post, NO other MMO game has the sense of community that UO does. What other game lets people build and run their own towns, museums, auction houses, and regularly has Live in game events.

What other game listens to their players about changes they would like to see, or suggestions or improvements? How many games have Town Hall meetings throughout the country every year to keep in touch with their subscribers? The answer is few if any. UO takes players questions and suggestions to heart every day and responds to them, usually on the Five for Friday posts, but also on the boards. I for one attended the DC Town Hall Meeting last year and asked Draconi to add a Statue Engraving Tool to the game. We have had several people in our Guild die of cancer and other sad events, but their was no way in game to honor our friends. I felt this tool would give us a Noble way to honor our fallen friends, as well as also add additional ways to implement rewards in game. Draconi said Yes, we need that and sure enough, it was implemented in the next Publish.  No other game cares what their subscribers have to say more than UO and that is a perfect example of how different UO is. Are they perfect? No. But they try their best to make playing as enjoyable to their fan base as they can. They can't satisfy everyone, but they try.

Someone said earlier that they are getting tired of doing the same old things like raiding Doom. Well you have the Stygian Abyss expansion to look forward to. A new race to play, new lands to explore, new items to craft, and new skills to conquer. I personally can't wait to see what the next year brings to the UO universe.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

I think in terms of versatility EA UO and the versions of the emulator community are unsurpassed.

You can do almost anything with this game if you set your mind to it.

There is levelbased UO, Itembased UO,UO for PvP, enforced roleplay UO and lots more variations out there and all over the world.