Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Separate List for Sandbox MMORPG's needed...

pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Instead of just noting which games are PVP vs PVE (which is helpful, of course), could there be an effort to separate out sandbox MMORPG's vs linear MMORPG's.

I would like to track sandbox MMORPG's in existence and development, and care nothing for linear MMORPG's.  Would help me to search better.

Thanks.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

There aren't enough to warrant changing the listing, unfortunately.

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

If you would make a list of all the Sandbox mmorpg's out there you would have a very small list i guess.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by phatpetey

If you would make a list of all the Sandbox mmorpg's out there you would have a very small list i guess.

True, but it'd be the only list I'd bother looking at, and would save me the time it takes to scan and search through the 100+ other listings, trying to find games of interest to me.

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304

I agree that this is needed, whether there are a lot of games that are Sandbox or not the fact is that there is A LOT of us that are only interested in such mmos.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Zorvan

There aren't enough to warrant changing the listing, unfortunately.

Aye.

Actually atm, the majority of Sandbox are in development.

I think it is curious that for the first time the majority of most anticipated MMOs are sandboxes.

Darkfall, Mortal Online, Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Jumpgate Evolution (I think is like EvE?)

I hope at least a couple of those will be successful, so will we see more publishers interested in creating this type of MMO.

• AeodinAeodin Member Posts: 10

So what if the list is small for sandbox games? Have you seen the mac platform game list? It's tiny...with maybe 6-10 games? I haven't checked for a while.

I agree with the OP. There needs to be a seperate list for Sandbox and linear. Especially with how many people prefer one type over the other.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by pencilrick

Instead of just noting which games are PVP vs PVE (which is helpful, of course), could there be an effort to separate out sandbox MMORPG's vs linear MMORPG's.
    I would like to track sandbox MMORPG's in existence and development, and care nothing for linear MMORPG's.  Would help me to search better.
    Thanks.

Can someone sticky this?

Isaiah 41:10
  • mpmoonmpmoon Member Posts: 4

Just thought I would mention that I created a forum account just to agree with this post about informing users about the different genres of MMO's available / in development, as I too care nothing for the linear genre.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

'Sandbox' is a vague term and it would make more for a point of contention/argument than a useful feature.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • JTJT Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

'Sandbox' is a vague term and it would make more for a point of contention/argument than a useful feature.

I agree with Lynx here.  It's been discussed more times than I can count on what a "sandbox mmo" really is. 

It would be nice if we had the ability to filter the homepage to only show games in the genre I could select.  I personally don't want to read anything about a fantasy genre mmo.

I prefer the "vague" sandbox approach to a game and so would like to play and invest money into that style of MMO and so being informed of that type of game would save me alot of time and money possibly even grief, a valuable list for people like me which could possibly even boost sales or interest in my prefered type of games.

Maybe a different aproach is needed, I imediately thought of a video store and how you hire a title and under the front cover it has something that reads like: YOU LIKE THIS then you might like these titles. Even something simple like this could make a few peoples lives alot easier when it comes to searching game titles. Just throwing that out there.

I have a gold star, anyway kudo's to UO for being the best game I have ever played despite it's short comings and bugs, it's funny how a game with such simple graphics can be so addictive. Then again look at the popularity of texas hold'em poker those ace's draw me in every time

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by mpmoon

I prefer the "vague" sandbox approach to a game and so would like to play and invest money into that style of MMO and so being informed of that type of game would save me alot of time and money possibly even grief, a valuable list for people like me which could possibly even boost sales or interest in my prefered type of games.

Which is the point I was trying to make. To some Ultima Online is the definition of  sandbox MMO, but to others it is too close the the DikuMUD roots to be one. Some feel that the 4X* games - EVE Online, Celetania and Beyond Protocol - are sandbox games and others feel they aren't. To some, the presence of class-restrictions and levels is an almost instant disqualification, others are more lenient.

It's understandable that you would want to be informed, but you would want to be correctly informed, right? There just seems to be too many interpretations to do so.

* = Xpand, Xplore, Xploit (resources, not cheats), Xterminate

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • smoothmoovssmoothmoovs Member Posts: 36

id agree with you if the term sandbox was more concrete, but you can argue whether certain mmos are or anrent sandbox way too easily.