Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power Supply Help

Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

I have this power supply www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx.

Would I be able to run this card - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx, with that power supply?

It says it only need 450 watts, I'm not a power supply wiz. Appreciate the help.

edit - just need to look at the specs page to see all the information.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Tomshardware measured that card in a system and the whole system drew 265W, and they suggest a 350W name brand PS would handle it, so I'm sure even though your 500W PS is a bit lower quality it should handle it fine.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Ramones274

I have this power supply www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx.

Would I be able to run this card - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx, with that power supply?

It says it only need 450 watts, I'm not a power supply wiz. Appreciate the help.

edit - just need to look at the specs page to see all the information.

This is what you always want to look at when you view a PSU

Your PSU is listed below (note the 12v rail, you want to add them both together 16a + 18A = 34amps (disregard the -12v)

34amps should run that card and the rest of your system just fine.

Output +3.3V@17A, +5V@25A, +12V1@16A, +12V2@18A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes it will but you might get some problems if you plan to hook up a lot of harddrives to it.

When you come to the next generation however they take a lot of more power. Minimum for a 260 GTX is 600W while it is 650W for a 280 GTX (Source: Nvidias homepage).

Also you should check so that air flows well and all fans and airholes are clear because the fans will take more power if the card and processor are hotter. Besides the computer last longer the cooler it is.

My 750W have problem running my 280 card (well I have 6 harddrives) if I hook the card on the wrong power connectors, I must use a specific chain or it wont boot. :) No more HDs for me in this computer, or I have to buy a rack.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Yeah, I just have one harddrive. So I should be fine then?

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Nope it lacks the PCI-e 6 pin connectors.  The PSU needs 2, yours only has 1.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

The card will come with two adapters if you buy it new, but you will only need one of them. I have that power supply and a comparable card and had the same question. I haven't had any problems. The PSU is one connector short though.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

You should buy a Corsair Power Supply, they are pretty high quality and have all the cables that you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=17-139-005