Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lock up issues with LotRO

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.  Each time I play LotRO it seems at a random interval, normally 10-60 minutes, my computer locks up and I get static through the speakers.  

I am playing the game on high specs but my PC has more than enough to run it at this level.

I have never had lock up in any other program...maybe once in AoC but not sure.

Once it locks up I have to reboot the PC. 

Tried:

Uninstalling the video card and reinstalling the drivers

Turning up the GPU fan to 50% and the temp is not too bad.  Normally around 65-70..well within its means.

The usual, dskchck, defrag, register cleaner etc.

Thinking of reinstalling windows.....rather not.

Any advice or similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• woolyfshwoolyfsh Member Posts: 19

I don't have an answer, I'm sorry. What I can advise is to post to the tech portion of the lotro forums. Turbine techs do answer problems/issues. If they know about it they can address it. I had lots of problems with running Vista and my graphics cards, and the techs responded to my questions within a few hours.

Good luck. :(

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

How much ram do you have?

It locks up for me at certain places when my system gets too low on resources - adding more ram helped this (though not completely).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• RadiohedwigRadiohedwig Member UncommonPosts: 22

check cpu temps.  

Try updated/reinstalling sound drivers.

A full list of comp specs would help too.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

That isn't a bad thought...regarding RAM but that isn't an issue because I have 4 gig of DDR3 ram.  Its a bit frustrating because I have a pretty high end rig,  I can only put it down to a software issue or a Graphics Card  one. If I knew that it was the graphics card  100% then I would upgrade immediately.  But knowing me I would spend 300 quid and still get the same problem.  

Going to try the forum in LotRO as well.

Thanks guys

• NuichNuich Member UncommonPosts: 123

What graphics card you using with the version number of the driver software. Also which version of windows are you using and the last thing are you getting any error messages when it locks up. If you can also, post you dxdiag here so we can peek at it, that helps a lot when trying to fix these things.

Nuich/Bobby

Originally posted by Nuich

What graphics card you using with the version number of the driver software. Also which version of windows are you using and the last thing are you getting any error messages when it locks up. If you can also, post you dxdiag here so we can peek at it, that helps a lot when trying to fix these things.
     Nuich/Bobby

Thanks Nuich,  I will do that tomorrow and see what you tihnk.  Just a quick a overview I am using a 8800gt 512mb Nvidia card running on XP.  The driver is up-to-date...well I think it is.  No error message as the game just freezes up and the screen stays the same.  

Anyway I will through the spec up tomorrow for you

cheers!

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Well, I don't know crap about computers, but I do play MMOs...

well, I run LotRO on my HP with a Nvidia Geforce 9500gs and 8 gigs of RAM...I don't have a strictly gaming pc, but I can run LotRO on Very High settings...usually I run pretty smooth with the slightest amount of lag in Bree and a little latency due to my isp i presume...

well, anyway...recently, I have been having some lag issues, everyone is...I mean people are getting lock ups and what not...I heard it's from the recent update.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Does it also lockup in windowed mode?

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Are you using hi-res textures? Might try turning themoff. Even with 4 gigs, I'm not sure it's not a resource issue if you are using them.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by chryses

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.  Each time I play LotRO it seems at a random interval, normally 10-60 minutes, my computer locks up and I get static through the speakers.  

I am playing the game on high specs but my PC has more than enough to run it at this level.
    I have never had lock up in any other program...maybe once in AoC but not sure.
    Once it locks up I have to reboot the PC. 

Tried:
    Uninstalling the video card and reinstalling the drivers
    Turning up the GPU fan to 50% and the temp is not too bad.  Normally around 65-70..well within its means.
    The usual, dskchck, defrag, register cleaner etc.

Thinking of reinstalling windows.....rather not.

Any advice or similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

when i first bought this new pc, i went to try out lotro trial and it run pretty good.. no issues and etc.. ( i expected it would ran bit better in cities but anyway )

anyway i didnt bought the game

few months back i decided to give another go.. exactly same pc.. etc, and i been getting crashes you describing in first prison lvl when you start as human...

its something to do with eax sound or etc.. as i found out.. anyway  that issue wasnt there a year ago..

so if you running creative sound card.. turn off eax.. or some other creative sound feature there is.. even if you arent.. try experimenting with sound features.. ( and yes i am running latest sound drivers )

and no i didnt found lotro worth buying yet again :X

Originally posted by Nuich

Nuich/Bobby

Hey Nuich,

First off I am going to try that sound thing someone mentioned. But just wanted to say I am impressed with code masters since they responded in an hour to my request.  they are looking into it as well but any thoughts let me know.

Pasted the dxdiag results below.

But first the driver version I am using is

date 18/02/2009

-

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/23/2009, 18:16:11

Machine name: ETHIKO

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: Maximus Extreme

BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/20/08 11:12:08 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 1282MB used, 3673MB available

Windows Dir: E:WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_23331682&REV_A2

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1680,1050

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8208 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/18/2009 14:44:00, 6185088 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

Mini VDD Date: 2/18/2009 14:44:00, 6308224 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4551-11CF-2255-380303C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0611

SubSys ID: 0x23331682

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A

Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: Not run

D3D7 Test Result: Not run

D3D8 Test Result: Not run

D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SB X-Fi Audio [EC00]

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCIVEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_00231102&REV_00

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1284 (English)

WHQL Logo'd: No

Date and Size: 7/15/2008 18:07:18, 527384 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Creative

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 1, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 128, 128

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 128, 128

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: Yes

EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------

Sound Capture Devices

---------------------

Description: SB X-Fi Audio [EC00]

Default Sound Capture: Yes

Default Voice Capture: Yes

Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1284 (English)

Date and Size: 7/15/2008 18:07:18, 527384 bytes

Cap Flags: 0x41

Format Flags: 0xFFF

-----------

DirectMusic

-----------

DLS Path: E:WINDOWSSYSTEM32driversGM.DLS

DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002

Acceleration: Enabled

Ports: SB X-Fi DMusic Synth [EC00], Hardware (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port

SB X-Fi Audio [EC00], Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal

Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

SB X-Fi Synth B [EC00] [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

SB X-Fi Synth A [EC00] [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal

Test Result: Not run

-------------------

Update on the issue.

First of all Code masters support has been great.  They replied within 1 hour and after I passed on my diaxg list they responded again very quickly.  They suggested I disable my soundcard and test the game that way.  I tried disabling the eax option on my creative panel  (someone stated earlier).  This helped somewhat...well I seemed to play longer before it popped.  Trying the soundcard thing tonight and see how that goes. 

• AnakaundaAnakaunda Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Nuich said:

Nuich/Bobby

Are you still on this forum? Asking for a friend!