Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POTBS patcher

I'm curious why the PotBS patcher is extremely inaccurate at predicting time? I just reinstalled it and have been patching it for about 10 hours, it said 4 at the start and now im at 2 hours? Is there something I am doing wrong (not that I can think of anything I could be doing wrong since its a patcher...)? Ill also let it finish the file its on itll say 1 hour, start again and it will be at 2 hours? *sigh* its taking much longer than it lead me to believe.

Comments

• 10 hours is way too much.  I've reinstalled a couple of times due to PC issues and it's never taken me longer than 2.5 hours to reinstall from scratch.  Unfortunately, for some reason the old patcher is still accessible and folks occasionally run into the problem you're having.  I don't know how people get to the 'bad' patcher or I'd give you some advice myself but I got lucky when I first joined the game and got the 'good' patcher on my first try ;)

Try the following links to get pointed in the right direction:

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51622

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41632

Hope it helps!

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

Its almost done now, at 4minuts, just taken ages. Well my reinstall was from an ancient pre-order disc I got.... had no patching done since it was pre-ordered, perhaps thats why.

My download speed is 45 kBps, what is yours if it only takes 2-3 hours?

*add* eh not worth it, i only get 1 gig a day max from my gimp arse ISP. 24 hours would take me well over a week considering.

• Originally posted by DubonEngeven

My download speed is 45 kBps, what is yours if it only takes 2-3 hours?

Er... tbh, I really don't know :p  It's cable internet, though, supposedly fast-ish... (not much of a tech guy lol I just PUSH BUTAN!!!!!11)

Think it they or some one else would send a disc with a newer version on it?  I can only download 1gig a day and thats shared between multiple people so it would take me a very long time considering it wants me to download 8+ gigs.

• It'd be a real long-shot; I'm not sure if there's a precedent for that, even.  I remember when I first bought/installed WoW, it was either use the discs and patch forever or download something closer to 'current' via FilePlanet and patch from there.  I think the logic presented was something to do with costs and logistics of manufacturing more up-to-date retail box discs or some such :(

The best advice I could offer you would be to submit a support ticket through www.burningsea.com/support/ explaining your predicament in detail and asking if they can do that (sending a disc or discs with a client closer to up-to-date) or something similarly helpful.  Hopefully they'll be able to 'meet you halfway' as it were.  I'm not sure what the standard practice is for situations like yours, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try eh?  Sorry to hear things are going so roughly for you!  

Alright, thanks, definately worth a try. Cant hurt at least.

Alright, I believe its working correctly now but its still 11 hours of downloading 0-o. But that should be done within a week or two. (curses ISP for such limited bandwidth) I would say hope to see you guys in game but pretty much 99% of the posts recently were from 3 different people counting myself :P