Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you don't role play? Why not?

I'm writing an article on the role play community versus the non role playing community and if you could answer these questions it would greatly help me out! If you do role play and came in to say you do, the questions for role players is in the role player area of the forums!

-What is the main reason you play an MMORPG?

-What processes did you go through deciding on your character’s race/class etc?

-How much do you know about the world of your MMO?

-Do you feel any connection with your character?

-Have you ever considered Role Playing? If so why haven’t you? If not, why not?

-What are your opinions of people who do Role Play?

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Problem with role play is everytime i ask (on a pvp server) what is their goal or motive, they will always answer :" The  enemy kill my family, my girlfirend, my dog, etc.....  and i want to be strong and have my revenge!"

Yap, typical boring boring answer , always someone they love die and they want to hit back.... zzzzzzz..........

RIP Orc Choppa

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by Dalagonash

To meet and adventure with other people in a virtual environment.

Appearance, abilities, back story (lore). I tend to pick classes/races that are either unpopular or not very common. I love being the underdog.

A lot. I like to know the lore behind major NPC's, bosses and dungeons. I try and do as much research as possible.

Yes, but only so far as I enjoy playing those classes. I don't have an 'emotional' connection to my characters.

I've only roleplayed in an ironic sense (not taking it seriously, almost like pantomime play-acting) but it was actually a lot of fun. I don't think I could do it consistently though as it is quite exhausting to remain 'in character', and many issues in an MMO require you to be OOC for prolonged periods of discussion which kind of breaks the illusion.

I feel for the Roleplayer. They are marginalised in today's MMO's. I don't think a lot of modern MMO's are roleplay-friendly. I have no problem with people who choose to roleplay, I actually find it quite fascinating.

• VelexiaVelexia Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by arctarus

Problem with role play is everytime i ask (on a pvp server) what is their goal or motive, they will always answer :" The  enemy kill my family, my girlfirend, my dog, etc.....  and i want to be strong and have my revenge!"

Yap, typical boring boring answer , always someone they love die and they want to hit back.... zzzzzzz..........

Perhaps the issue is not with role-playing itself but the lack of any true consequences or effects that a player has on the world?

Often younger players do not have a refined imagination giving them the ability to fabricate an interesting story for their character.  With true player interaction, and consequences, a player can simply relate what has actually happened, and it will make for not only an interesting story, but an opportunity to become involved as well.

H A D O K E N !

• ionlyneeditionlyneedit Member Posts: 123

^^^^Basically this.

I can't tell you how many times I've joined an RP guild and the first thing I see in guild chat is, "The newcomer notices a sinister-looking beautiful woman in a dark corner of the guild hall. She casually glances back at the unfamiliar person before sneering a little, revealing vampire-like teeth, then continues to ignore him as she goes back to sharpening one of her many blades."

Blah blah blah.... yeah, we get it, Mary Sue.

---
    I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by ionlyneedit

^^^^Basically this.

I can't tell you how many times I've joined an RP guild and the first thing I see in guild chat is, "The newcomer notices a sinister-looking beautiful woman in a dark corner of the guild hall. She casually glances back at the unfamiliar person before sneering a little, revealing vampire-like teeth, then continues to ignore him as she goes back to sharpening one of her many blades."

Blah blah blah.... yeah, we get it, Mary Sue.

LOL you both are right.

But beyond that there is a lot of differente plots.

• NycromesNycromes Member Posts: 3

I play for the interaction with other people, I have a ton of fun with a bunch of friends that I have been playing with for some time now.

I try to find a race that matches my personality, usually a dwarf. Class will depend on the game and the abilities of the class.

I know a pretty good amount, I haven't gone out and read any Role Player's guides or anything, but I have read up on the lore of the various worlds I have ventured into and try to keep on top of what that lore means in the game.

I feel a big connection with my characters. In a strange way, I feel that they all have different personalities in the game and I think I act differently playing different characters. Kinda strange now that I type that out...

I have considered Role Playing and have tried it in small amounts, I feel its a lot of work to stay in character and though I can do it much of the time, it sometimes is a big drain. Also, I have to agree with others, many RPers out there are not original and it is a large turnoff to the world of RP.

I have no problem with them in any way. I think very often they think RP should come first and foremost in developer's minds when designing content (what type of player doesn't think they way they play should come first) and that isn't always how things are done. I think they are usually more familiar with the lore of the game than most non-RPers, but that doesn't hold up 100% of the time.

RP can be fun, but it does become very exhausting and sometimes you just want to play. Making up stories and backgrounds is fun, but generally is not something I want to spend a large amount of my time doing.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Like many have stated here already...total lack of RPers. You can call yourself an RPer...but all with the same basic story, is gettin kinda old.

"My family was killed when I was a child. I was enslaved by their killers. I got freed. Now I want revenge. And I am a dark brooding, deadly and hot lesbian!"

I enjoy RP, but once I hear the lesbo theme goin on, or the touph loner line...I usually leave.

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700

To enjoy a fantasy world fill with actual people that you can adventure with them.  It's kind of having a second life in a virtual world for me.

I generally pick human because it's just my preference, but I may pick other race depending on my mood.  The reason is so that I can relate myself to this character I created, it has to feel like "me".

Enough.  I would read the quest text to get some idea, and at least search on the background story on the world.

Yes, it is my alter ego.  It is basically who I am in that world if such world exist...

Yes, and I've tried a little bit.  It's an interesting experience.

I've seen people who role-play out a great story, and I've seen the generic "evil killed my parents, need revenge...", so my opinion is that those who are REALLY into role-play are very creative, the rest may want to do more reading and expand their idea for stories...

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Just picked what looked and felt like... something I connected with.

I read the lore before I start playing, but dont usually go any further

Yes, and I can't stand playing characters I dont feel a connection with

I have tried it.  I think roleplaying is great but MMO's generally are not a good environment for it.  SWG pre-cu was the best RP environment I experienced.. and it really wasn't taken advantage of. 

Mostly I think they are the determined few who stick with it no matter what... and the cyber-pervs that are just looking for sexual roleplay.  I think most "normal" folks interested in roleplay have given up.. as I have.  This may be a bit harsh... I have met many decent folks who roleplay... but mostly I think they are the ones who stick with it even though its not very good.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I'm writing an article on the role play community versus the non role playing community and if you could answer these questions it would greatly help me out! If you do role play and came in to say you do, the questions for role players is in the role player area of the forums!
     To play within a virtual world and life the live of my character in that world in a GAMERS WAY!!!!, unfortunaly for my type of playstyle most current MMO's don't offer much virtual worlds but offer a pretty similar experiance as regular multiplayer online games but with many quest and in some cases with more people on your screen then the regular multiplayer game. 

Hard to explain as that depends on what type of MMORPG world it is. Overall I like my toons to be traders/crafters/explorers
     Similar to how I would know normal rl world history, some things caught my attentention while some things seem unintresting to know, overall like to creat my own journey or story.
    Of course, I mean I won't spend a X amount of time on building my character if I would not feel a connection to my character.

I'm into MMORPG or regular RPG to roleplay. It's kinda the reason why I as a GAMER want a virtual world to life the live of my character in a GAMERS WAY!!!!

They understand they are playing a RPG genre?