Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with Citadel of Sorcery discussion

JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

I haven't posted on MMORPG in awhile, thought I'd stop by and just say hello, and answer any questions anyone might have.

It's been a busy time at MMO Magic, so I and the other team members have been nose to the grindstone so to speak. I'm sorry that there haven't been a lot of new details released lately, but the truth is that we are at that stage where we have already released most of the information we want to release at this early point of game development.

One thing some people have asked me is 'why did you release any information this early?'. The answer to that is complex and simple, depending on how you look at it. Simply put, CoS doesn't use an existing license. It is a brand new world and concept, not relying on previous stories, books, graphic novels, TV shows or bubble gum wrappers. Because of this we felt it was necessary to let people in on the game earlier than we would normally so that some word could spread about it. In addition, we felt that some heated discussion early on by game players could possibly help in the design. Waiting until we had already gone far down the path would mean it would be more difficult to make changes.

Of course the down side to all this is that we have to show the game in early stages and some people will not understand things like early screenshots not being all spiffy and pretty. You have to take the good with the bad. We just felt it was more important to get the buzz going early, and hear from the game players than it was to worry about people grousing about graphics and when the game will release.

So, to that question... when the game will release...we have no idea; really. How could we? We're revamping and putting ever aspect of an MMO through R&D to make a new kind of game. This means that estimates of completion are ridiculously difficult to make accurately. So, we're not even trying. The game will get finished when the game is fun to play and is solid. When the servers have been tested thoroughly, when you don't have to buy a half finished game and suffer. We won't be having early Beta tests in an unfinished world. When we finally do have a Beta, we will consider the game finished, and use the Beta just to test and see if CoS is truely finished. All this means you will have to be patient. What other choice to you have :)

What we have done, and will continue to do is be honest with the game public. We even post game development logs on our web site to let people know exactly what is happening on the project, from day one to present.

So… on that note if you have any questions or things you want to discuss or add to or about the game, let us know here on MMORPG, or through the Q&A system on our www.citadelofsorcery.com web site. We try to answer everyone promptly.

Or... just post a question in this thread.

Comments

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Thanks for the update Jatar.  I'm looking forward to more details about your game when the time is right.  I'm intrigued by what you've released so far and very much hope you can deliver this new experience as the old school MMO paradigms have worn out my last nerve.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

Thank you for coming in and posting something about the game. I am someone who is very egar for this game to come out though i know it is a long time from release so I'm triying not to troll the forms and post a lot because well it is to early to start getting all hyped about this game. 

I don't believe i really have any questions about this game at the moment wish i did but like you said it is early in development. But just wanted to comment that i like what i have read and Please stay true to your original game design and don't let the fans change your concept before you even have a playable version of the game. To many games are getting hurt that way. Take your time finish everything you have said to the public that would be in the game so no broken promises. 

I would rather get slow news and only info on a game mechanic when it is already in the game than get a bunch of info about what is supposed to be in the game at release and then have things not make it casue of time and money. 

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't give us news about what you hope is going to be in game only give us info on what is in game. that way if you have something planned for launch that just isn't gonna make it your fans are not dissapointed. And release the info on that stuff after launch as coming in the first expac. Just some advice to you as a company from a person who has been playing mmo's for years and love them but hate broken promises. 

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Don't worry.   Everything we have promised so far will be in the game.  There are many other areas of the design that are still in flux, and those are the things we are holding back until they are a more 'firm' element.  For example, you won't find a list of the player abilities anywhere... because we will be changing and tweaking these for some time to come.  You'll also noticed in my previous posts in other threads that I sometimes just say I can't talk about that yet.  Again, this means that we can't talk about it because it might change.  

If I ever do talk about something that isn't firm, I always mention 'don't hold us to this, it's still in design'.  So, when I do tell you something will be in the game without reservation, you can be confidant that it will.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Thanks for stopping by Jatar; it's nice to know everything is going well.  I've always liked how you (and MMO Magic) treated the community - always answering questions, discussing game concepts with us, and not promising something that may not be in the game. 

I await eagerly for the next CoS update :)

• skipethskipeth Member Posts: 66

Thanks for the update. I think you all made the right decision to post early. I hope that the discussions generated on the forums last year were helpful to the team in their development.

It's also nice to see a definite lack of trolls in this forum.

• CoS-GreyberdCoS-Greyberd Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by skipeth

Thanks for the update. I think you all made the right decision to post early. I hope that the discussions generated on the forums last year were helpful to the team in their development.

Trolls? What would there be to troll about :D

From what I have seen the admin of MMORPG keep that to a very strict minimum, which is a good thing.

Cheers

Creator of the 'First' Official Citadel of Sorcery Fansite
    http://cos.oldmmogamers.net

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by CoS-Greyberd

Originally posted by skipeth

Trolls? What would there be to troll about :D

From what I have seen the admin of MMORPG keep that to a very strict minimum, which is a good thing.

Cheers

Nah Greyberd, this site has a ton of trolls.  It is basicly a troll vs fanboy slug fest on these forums.

Sooner or Later