Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will First Person view ruin this game for you?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

I hate 1st person views. I can accept it for aimed shots only, as in ranged shooting at targets, but that's the only time and when not aiming would want to go back to 3rd person.
    You can't see what's right next to you in 1st person.That's not realistic, not is it practical for close combat. I also hate the feeling of not knowing, all the time, what I'm standing on.
    It's like wearing a diving mask all the time. The feeling of immersion is completely lost, and you feel detached from the game world.
    The best thing in my mind, is to have an option for either. Depending on the way the camera works, there are times I want to go to 1st person, but almost always I like to be in 3rd person. For example, in WoW, sometimes when you look up the camera gets caught on the ground and goes into a tail spin. That's where I'd like to switch to 1st.
    I played in the Darkfall beta, and I did like the archer and mage targetting, but only when I am actually firing at someone/thing. I hated putting my hand weapon away because it forced you into 1st person.

But the ability to see completely in 360 degrees doens't kill immersion? It's completely fake as you are allowed to see who is sneaking up on you, allows you not to be able to ambush someone, allows a complete and total bird's eye view of the battle field.

If you don't like it you don't like it (though I imagine it's similiar to fighting in Oblivion) but I'm not sure the immersion argument seems plausible except to just pick your poison with regards to what immersion breaking conventions you will allow.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Doesn't bother me, though i cannot understand why we'd should only have one or the other. It should be easy enough to allow up to zoom out to see out toon. Since other people see it, its not like they've have to make extra art. I wonder f its due to the UT3 engine, which isdesigned as a fps engine.

has anyone used the UT3 engine to develop a game with a 3rd person view yet? I can't think of one of fhte top of me head.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by spankybus
    Doesn't bother me, though i cannot understand why we'd should only have one or the other. It should be easy enough to allow up to zoom out to see out toon. Since other people see it, its not like they've have to make extra art. I wonder f its due to the UT3 engine, which isdesigned as a fps engine.
    has anyone used the UT3 engine to develop a game with a 3rd person view yet? I can't think of one of fhte top of me head.

For example gears of war 1&2.

And I still wonder why peeps are yelling to have tpv, when the only reason they have is to see their own toon.
    There will be a 3D avatar window to see own gear and emots.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

lol shamefully, i've not yet got round to playing gears yet.

as for FPV, whats the diff. people want what they want. IF its a cakewalk to give it to them and make more players happy, why not?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• drasilgamedrasilgame Member Posts: 58

Was looking forward to Mortal Online til I saw it was first person. Too bad, would have been a good game.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Any dev with half a brain would realise that if they put 1rst person view they also have to have 3rd person view.

MMORPGs are the only place where people with no life that spend 24/7 eating cheetos drinking mountain dew and speaking on vent can be considered as the cool kids. THe way they show that they have no life is by having that super shiny armor.

If they cant see their shiny armors they are sad.

If they are sad they dont play.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by beaverz

Any dev with half a brain would realise that if they put 1rst person view they also have to have 3rd person view.
    MMORPGs are the only place where people with no life that spend 24/7 eating cheetos drinking mountain dew and speaking on vent can be considered as the cool kids. THe way they show that they have no life is by having that super shiny armor.
    If they cant see their shiny armors they are sad.
    If they are sad they dont play.

Who needs them anyway, SV have allready a solid fanbase who are thrilled with FPV, and more are stumbling in every day and are happy with FPV only.

And even more will be interested when gameplay movies starts to pop up and more info.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If it is not a mmofps then why would I want to be in first person view ? They really should make it an option to be in fps mode or not.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

My issue with first person view only is that while I think it is more immersive in terms of game world, I think it is less immersive in terms of character.  Any for me thats why I play MMO's, for my character. 

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

I've been playing Third person mmos for like.. 15 years? I can only speak for myself but I'm ready for a change. I don't like a mixed system where you can choose because there are clearly viewing advantages to third person and everyone will just choose the version that gives them the biggest advantage, human nature, regardless of what it does for the game. I believe it should be strictly all or nothing. The devs need to choose the types of players they want. Luckily for me, they are choosing to be different, which is a good thing imo.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

For the ground combat, moving around etc judging from the latest video looks fine. The mounted combat view looks terrible though, and I hope it is changed to a tight third person view the current view from that video just looks annoying. It actually reminds me of mount and blades first person view for mounted combat which I personally hate. I would rather have the tight mounted combat view that they have in mount and blade to this one.

It wont stop me from playing the game though, Ill just put up with it.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It will for sure be a problem for me. I play with female characters, I like being able to view it, call me pervert if you want, but I like it so... maybe if i like the game, this one could be the first mmorpg I will play with a male character, just cose I will never see it haha.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Anyone who plays much fps shouldn't have an issue with it. As far as an immersive 'free world' goes, I think it adds a lot more depth than having a camera floating above you, where you can look 360 degrees without actually moving your character..

Now if you want to see that guy sneaking up on you, you better actually turn around, or the first you'll notice of him might be his blade sticking out of your chest!

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

LOL< I guess just turn the camera down to your chest or spend your sub looking in a mirror or reflecting pool..

They said they'd possibly make you see your avatar in the inventory/equip window or character stat page (pretty standard mmo thing there) - and of course reflections.

Anyway it's not about what you are wearing but what you do with it.. remember that your big fancy pretty armor you have on.. if you get killed, someone else can walk away with it (free for all pvp with full looting) - so you might not really want to wear such a thing anyway.. so as to not tempt the thieves, so to speak

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

On another note, I wonder how they will cater to players who enjoy gear appearance and such. If all your screen shows is your hands and your weapon...

I guess your friends can screenshot ya.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by randomt

Anyone who plays much fps shouldn't have an issue with it. As far as an immersive 'free world' goes, I think it adds a lot more depth than having a camera floating above you, where you can look 360 degrees without actually moving your character..
    Now if you want to see that guy sneaking up on you, you better actually turn around, or the first you'll notice of him might be his blade sticking out of your chest!

Almost every FPS game I have played also had 3rd person view! 

I don't see a problem why you can't have a close up 3rd person view with locked camera? 

It would still be immersive, people can still sneak up on you and you can see and enjoy your character as well.

With current MMO's you can rotate your camera too easy in 3rd person view and with that I agree that it kills PVP immersion a bit.

But when the 3rd person camera is fixed and locked. I don't see the reason to have 1st person view only.

Just my 2cents

Originally posted by Guillermo197
    Originally posted by randomt Anyone who plays much fps shouldn't have an issue with it. As far as an immersive 'free world' goes, I think it adds a lot more depth than having a camera floating above you, where you can look 360 degrees without actually moving your character..

Almost every FPS game I have played also had 3rd person view! 
    I don't see a problem why you can't have a close up 3rd person view with locked camera? 
    It would still be immersive, people can still sneak up on you and you can see and enjoy your character as well.
    With current MMO's you can rotate your camera too easy in 3rd person view and with that I agree that it kills PVP immersion a bit.
    But when the 3rd person camera is fixed and locked. I don't see the reason to have 1st person view only.
    Just my 2cents

I meant fps's like quake or halflife or the battlefield series or the call of duty series.. you play it in first person view, and you have to turn and look around on your own... so if you are used to playing those kinds of games, keeping track of your surroundings in MO will be pretty intuitive..

As for 3rd person view.. basically any floating camera gives you a bigger field of view than your eyes can account for, and that's not what they want.

Of course we won't know until we try it how well that works for us individually, but I am looking forward to it, kind of like an mmofps with a fantasy setting, in a free for all twitch combat based pvp open sandbox world.. it will be a nice change from the mass-market wow like mmo's that have been coming out over and over lately.. something new and fresh.

Well probably something like Oblivion in an mmo format mostly likely.. we'll see

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

Actually first person is part of what attracts me to it. I love immursion and that's often lost in 3rd person where you feel more like an observer then in the ruins, or in the midst of the swamp. Also in first person it's easier to get a sense of scale because you tend to see more of the sky.

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

While I do think FPV is the most immersive viewpoint I just dislike playing games in FPV and prefer TPV.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Arioc

Actually first person is part of what attracts me to it. I love immursion and that's often lost in 3rd person where you feel more like an observer then in the ruins, or in the midst of the swamp. Also in first person it's easier to get a sense of scale because you tend to see more of the sky.

1st person is more immersive but 3rd person is more life preserving!

• QuenranelQuenranel Member Posts: 33

first person is part of what attracts me to this game.

i'm thinking about reinstalling oblivion since i don't have fallout3 lol

But seriously, i think a lot of people want a game where you're brain is more important than stats and numbers.perhaps first person is the best way to implement difficult yet rewarding gameplay

and besides, in the new trailer he looks down at water and sees his reflection.

i myself enjoy FPS's and MMOs, the two games that got me hooked years ago were counterstrike and asheron's call.

• isolorisolor Member Posts: 189

I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. While I like first person shooters. I don't spend hours a day playing them. Mmorpgs I can spend 4-6 hours on weekends playing, and not sure if I like being in first person that long. I never feel immersed in my fps games like I do in my mmorpgs.

I admit I am a little vain in the fact that I like looking at how my avatar looks like while playing.

I will definately give this game a go though, and hopefully won't mind the first person view.

• QuenranelQuenranel Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by isolor

I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. While I like first person shooters. I don't spend hours a day playing them. Mmorpgs I can spend 4-6 hours on weekends playing, and not sure if I like being in first person that long. I never feel immersed in my fps games like I do in my mmorpgs.
    I admit I am a little vain in the fact that I like looking at how my avatar looks like while playing.
    I will definately give this game a go though, and hopefully won't mind the first person view.

FPS aren't really designed to immerse the player into an atmosphere like MMOs should do. they are MMO role playing games after all.

have you tried Fallout3? I haven't had the pleasure of that, but i hear its a pretty good game.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by fansede

On another note, I wonder how they will cater to players who enjoy gear appearance and such. If all your screen shows is your hands and your weapon...
    I guess your friends can screenshot ya.

They are going to put full length mirrors in game at city hubs.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez