Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape membership prices going up do to gas prices and "inflation" ...lmao

zword97zword97 Member Posts: 15

how lamer could this game get, they are increasing membership by .95 cents due to "inflation"...

lmao to all who play this....stop ,i found better things to do with the time i use to spend on this lame game

Also,Jagex and their staff members:

Find something better to with ur money and ur lifes

Comments

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Amen to that my friend. About the inflation thing. Recession is taking place in the world right now. Time can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I swear it will be one of the top factors that will contribute to the collapse of Runescape in the near future.

• MaulzuMaulzu Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by zword97

how lamer could this game get, they are increasing membership by .95 cents due to "inflation"...
    lmao to all who play this....stop ,i found better things to do with the time i use to spend on this lame game

How dare they! That $12 could be spent somewhere else in the next year... Like, Oh I don't know...

Fucking Grammar Lessons!

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

I don’t understand why they would need to raise prices by that much, since they only pay for server maintenance, electricity, and staff for their updates but if they stopped buying carbon credits and using "green servers" they wouldn’t need to raise the prices, I lol @ man made global warming.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Palo_god

I don’t understand why they would need to raise prices by that much, since they only pay for server maintenance, electricity, and staff for their updates but if they stopped buying carbon credits and using "green servers" they wouldn’t need to raise the prices, I lol @ man made global warming.

Yeah because all of the other companies out there are doing it.

...oh wait, no their not

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

I don’t think the owners of runescape see jagex as a company, I think they see it as a cash cow milk farm where they can milk little kids dry of their allowance every month while providing the worst quality service possible and not caring what their customers think.

• FeldazinFeldazin Member Posts: 36

runescape isnt the only mmo that is upping thier prices

.(....\............../....)
    . \....\........... /..../
    ...\....\........../..../
    ....\..../?¯.I.¯`\./
    ..../... I....I..(¯¯¯`\
    ...I.....I....I...¯¯.\...\
    ...I.....I?¯.I?¯.I..\...)
    ...\.....` ¯..¯ ?.......'
    ....\_________.·?

• exel134exel134 Member Posts: 41

lmao...thats pretty much all i have to say..

hmmmm

• exel134exel134 Member Posts: 41

hmmm i remember my account being a advanced or hardcore member..guess since i was gone so long ive started all over..Oo

hmmmm

• megafluxmegamegafluxmega Member Posts: 138

inflation and they know the gays got all the $.

• kverikkverik Member Posts: 55

Its not really that absurd... Most the games like Wow/EQ and other games are hosted and staffed  here in the states.

Member ship was released in like 2001 or so at the cost of 5$ a month which back then = like 8 Euros or so I think now that the American $ is worth less 5$ = about 5 Euros so they raised the cost... so we were actually paying less than there European subscribers.

To we the American Rs'ers it looks like Jagex just got greedy and raised the price but in fact with the amount of money we are giving them they are actually making less money per American member than they were 3-4 years back and we are paying almost the same amount as the Euro Rs'ers....

In short OP and every one siding with him is an idiot.

• donuts185donuts185 Member Posts: 35

does that mean that the pray pay card thing are the same price as using a credit card?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I dont know how anyone can even consider paying for this game......i have played alot of MMOs and this was easily the worst and easily the worst community.........This game feels like its the 1990 beta version of UO.......Even if you play this for free there are many better f2p games out there.

• donuts185donuts185 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I dont know how anyone can even consider paying for this game......i have played alot of MMOs and this was easily the worst and easily the worst community.........This game feels like its the 1990 beta version of UO.......Even if you play this for free there are many better f2p games out there.

name 1 i need to know. and are they browser based?

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Lol Jagex makes alot more money than people think off of Runescape. Mostly idiot 13 year olds and under really play this game and this is just another scheme to milk them. There's really no reason to raise the prices at all.

If you guys know whats good for you then just leave and never comeback.

Most of us are out of the game for various reasons. Mainly because of self-awareness, and boredom.

By the way, expect it to get worse.

• acephaloidacephaloid Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Bonemane

There's really no reason to raise the prices at all.

Yes there is. You're totally wrong.

Inflation affects EVERYTHING in an economy. Just because you've already built your company, hired your staff and bought your servers does not mean that your costs will never rise. When your costs rise what are you going to do? Lose money?

Really?

ALL games will increase in price over time because EVERYTHING increases in cost over time. Within a recession it's just accelerated.

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by kverik

Its not really that absurd... Most the games like Wow/EQ and other games are hosted and staffed  here in the states.

Member ship was released in like 2001 or so at the cost of 5$ a month which back then = like 8 Euros or so I think now that the American $ is worth less 5$ = about 5 Euros so they raised the cost... so we were actually paying less than there European subscribers.

To we the American Rs'ers it looks like Jagex just got greedy and raised the price but in fact with the amount of money we are giving them they are actually making less money per American member than they were 3-4 years back and we are paying almost the same amount as the Euro Rs'ers....

In short OP and every one siding with him is an idiot.

Dah dah dah dummm. Jagex is a British company, hence the reason they use British English. Colour, Defence, and all those little differences that they can't be bothered to standardize. The British Pound was worth 1.45 American Dollars as of October 2008. Therefore, for each membership, they actually received about 4.14 pounds then. The British Pound in November of 2007 was worth about 2.00 American Dollars. In November 2007, they were receiving 2.50 British Pounds per membership.

Do the math. They're making 165.6% of the money per account than they were 11 months before you posted, and you claim they had a reason for raising the membership rates?

You didn't even get the fucking currency right. They use the British Pound, not the Euro.  If there's anything that bothers me about the internet, it's imbeciles who try to use faulty math to prove their point, and then go out of their way to insult people who disagree. I believe my math also proves that you're the idiot here.

Adjusting for today's currency, they are making 4.32 British Pounds per membership, an increase to 172.8%! They're slowly closing in on a technical "doubling" of their membership rates, and there's still people who defend their decision. It's pitiful really. And it's all because they can't do 4-5th grade math.

Inflation affects EVERYTHING in an economy. Just because you've already built your company, hired your staff and bought your servers does not mean that your costs will never rise. When your costs rise what are you going to do? Lose money?

As for you, we are in a recession, here's the definition for you:

When demand in the economy decreases, prices of goods and services also decrease, resulting in a slowdown of the economy.

Also, here's a nice little quote from Jagex I dug up:

A)No, we have no plans to increase our current membership prices for RuneScape. Jagex is a financially strong company and contrary to the rest of the industry we have actually had very good revenue during this difficult time. I believe our competitive price point and unparalleled game-depth and value will prove reasonably recession-proof.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by acephaloid

Really?

ALL games will increase in price over time because EVERYTHING increases in cost over time. Within a recession it's just accelerated.

Really? Then I suppose EVERY game would be raising their subscription prices in this recession wouldn't they? But it seems the only people to raise their prices were Jagex? I don't even think others have even hinted at having to raise prices.

Looks like Simi beat me to the punch. I suggest you consult his post.

Really?

No offense but some people just wait for doomsday until they get their heads out of their butts. I agree with you that inflation affects everything, but they don't happen instantaneously. It's like a domino effect to destruction. Nice and slow. Just wait now, but for the meantime why don't you prepare yourself by doing some case studies and relating this "inflation" to the one Jagex is experiencing right now?

Originally posted by Blissey

Just wait now, but for the meantime why don't you prepare yourself by doing some case studies and relating this "inflation" to the one Jagex is experiencing right now?

Ahhahahaha. I actually did laugh out loud. That was good.

So I don't understand your points. Any of you.

You seem to be implying that it is utterly unreasonable for a company to increase the price of its products and/or services and I would contend that it is not.

My point about the downturn in the economy is very simple. The cost of other goods and services has risen, thus companies have either to absorb those costs or raise theirs to avoid a fall in profits. Energy prices saw their biggest hike for years at the end of 2008. It's just one of the increases that a company like Jagex would have to absorb. There will be many others

Companies are entitled to make a profit and it is necessary for growth and sustainability. A company that makes no profit will not grow, and they will gradually decline as they are unable to find investors, recruit key personnel etc. etc.

When was that quote from Jagex released btw? Was it before the economy went tits up and the US plunged the rest of the world into a recession? Or was it after?

Either way, here in Britain the cost of living has been increasing over the past 12 months (as it always will), accelerating rapidly and alarmingly at the end of last year. Any business that has not adjusted rapidly to the current ecomonic climate has gone under. Thousands of jobs have been cut and many very established firms have gone bust.

If adding 95 cents or whatever to the cost of membership will prevent a company from going under AND will allow them to continue growing their products and services to secure their future then that is what they will do.

There is a choice to be had, customers may cancel their subscriptions and either go f2p or leave. No business takes the decision to increase the cost of their products lightly, as many of you seem to think. It is one of the riskiest things you can do, you can so easily lose out to your competitors and lose your customers, but if it has to be done, then it has to be done.

Here's the problem: Prices aren't going up. They're going down. The economy is in a nice downward spiral thanks to Bush, and with so many companies invested in the U.S., many other countries are following suit; some crashing even worse than the U.S.

So you claim the price of electricity is going up? Well, I can prove to you that your claim is simply a falsification intended to support your argument. Here's the proof:

Yes, it was going up, but right after they raised the price of Runescape, the prices crashed. If they in fact were in need of money because of prices, wouldn't they lower the rate after their electricity became affordable again?

We are in deflation, not inflation. Cut the constant talk about inflation, there is no more inflation.

So I don't understand your points. Any of you.
    You seem to be implying that it is utterly unreasonable for a company to increase the price of its products and/or services and I would contend that it is not.
    My point about the downturn in the economy is very simple. The cost of other goods and services has risen, thus companies have either to absorb those costs or raise theirs to avoid a fall in profits. Energy prices saw their biggest hike for years at the end of 2008. It's just one of the increases that a company like Jagex would have to absorb. There will be many others
    Companies are entitled to make a profit and it is necessary for growth and sustainability. A company that makes no profit will not grow, and they will gradually decline as they are unable to find investors, recruit key personnel etc. etc.
    When was that quote from Jagex released btw? Was it before the economy went tits up and the US plunged the rest of the world into a recession? Or was it after?
    Either way, here in Britain the cost of living has been increasing over the past 12 months (as it always will), accelerating rapidly and alarmingly at the end of last year. Any business that has not adjusted rapidly to the current ecomonic climate has gone under. Thousands of jobs have been cut and many very established firms have gone bust.
    If adding 95 cents or whatever to the cost of membership will prevent a company from going under AND will allow them to continue growing their products and services to secure their future then that is what they will do.
    There is a choice to be had, customers may cancel their subscriptions and either go f2p or leave. No business takes the decision to increase the cost of their products lightly, as many of you seem to think. It is one of the riskiest things you can do, you can so easily lose out to your competitors and lose your customers, but if it has to be done, then it has to be done.

That seems logical..... I am not a proffesional at economics like you are so I cannot fully contradict or comprehend this statement. Anyway, I think Jagex will have to shut down in the near future once things get bad especially in the UK( where I used to live). When it happens that would be a great and most wonderful day. I expect more controversy.

Originally posted by Simiswimm

Here's the problem: Prices aren't going up. They're going down.

So you claim the price of electricity is going up? Well, I can prove to you that your claim is simply a falsification intended to support your argument. Here's the proof:

Yes, it was going up, but right after they raised the price of Runescape, the prices crashed. If they in fact were in need of money because of prices, wouldn't they lower the rate after their electricity became affordable again?

I live in the UK and my energy costs have risen, quite steeply actually. They haven't come down again despite the recent announced so-called cuts. This is because my tariffs are based on estimates, where I have to pay what the energy company demands I pay for an entire year and then they credit me/refund me at the end of the year for whatever energy I haven't used. The alternative is to be on a meter, where you pay-as-you-go, but that is vastly more expensive in the long run.

To get back on topic, I have no idea what system Jagex use but here's a massive leap that i'm going to take:

My theory - (btw this is just my theory, i don't have proof but I haven't found anything that disproves it either):

RS lost a shitload of players last year, more than expected. Jagex is still growing as a company and is currently producing a new massive game called MechScape which hasn't been released yet and is therefore unable to make them any money at all. They use the profits from RuneScape (and FunOrb if it has any ) and plough it directly into MechScape in the hope that it will be a good selling game in the future, but at the moment is just a money drain.

I don't think Jagex wanted to put the RS subscriptions up at all and that's why they made the statement they did that you quoted before, but something forced them to. I think it was a combination of bad ecomomic situation and losing so many RS players. If they hadn't raised prices at that time, there's a real chance that MechScape development would have had to be canned or delayed for a good long while - not ideal.

So they raised prices a bit. I understand that this really must have pissed off a lot of people, but I've got to be honest, it didn't affect me in any way that I actually noticed because the increase was so small compared to all the other massive increases that happened in this country slightly later on (if not at the same time), like the fact that petrol jumped up by an extra 20p a litre and food became really expensive.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the price increase last year was the first time that prices had ever been raised in the game? I genuinely think that that is pretty good going. Most companies I deal with raise their prices annually, whether they've improved their services or not and as a customer i just have to accept it because I can't get an alternative product.

I can with RS though. If it becomes too expensive to play I've got other options as do the other players, I'm not being held to ransom and I can leave any time I want. Now, if only my water company worked the same way