Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm turning into an AMD fanbois, are there any vaccinations out there?

2»

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The bottleneck is with more then 2 GPUs.  CPUs from a year or 2 ago were designed with 2 graphics cards in mind not 4.  The only CPU from that time with it in mind was the AMD FX board utilizing 2 CPUs that sold itself on quad sli.  It also doesn't affect AMD as much because it uses HyperTransport like the Core i7.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by Agricola1

I say the X3 720 phenom ii BE beats out a Core i7, on price and versatility and the motherboards have better architecture! Am I insane?

apparently yes

member of imminst.org

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

AMD is faster,cheaper and better. In all my years of gaming I never had an intel of any kind in my gaming room and I haven't been disappointed yet. 

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

With help from bit-tech so have I reached 3.9Ghz with my 920 processor with my first OC atempt. And all I can say it is greatness I can see. Im using the starting zone in the game Stalker; clear sky to see if my setup is ok and it runs really great with everything cranked up. Why I use that game is ofc becuse ATI has really optimize their drivers for that game. A great improvment from the random shutters I did have with my old phenom processor. Ive not gotten dx 10.1 to work yet, but I hope I will find a solution. My favorite mmo at the moment, Vanguard, is now ruinning alot better and I dont get random drops in the fps like I had for some days ago.

The I7 system is really great and I would like to see some tests that shows that the phenom II x3/x4 is doing as well as Intel when it comes to gaming.

OC help from Bit-tech www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1

Benchmark from Tom´s www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-8.html

edit; santviktor. AMD is ofc cheaper. But what I can see is that the price tag isnt so diffrent if you compair a "motherboard/dd3/i7 920" with a "motherboard/ddr3/phenom II x4 940".  I did lose around 150$ when I did ditch the amd system to a intel system. And the gameing performance is to good for me to save that kind of money.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

AMD is faster,cheaper and better. In all my years of gaming I never had an intel of any kind in my gaming room and I haven't been disappointed yet. 

ignoring the fact that amd has been behind on performance since the core 2 line comes out.  That's why I like coming here though, it's like stepping into the technology bizarro world

member of imminst.org

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I used to be an AMD/ATI guy but I had problems with a few motherboards and I had one processor overheat on me all the time I couldn't even do anything.  I had an Asus and a Gigabyte mobo die on me and that procy go crazy on me all with in a year and a half, AMD was cool and I got a new Procy .  I loved how cheap and fast AMD was before (when AMD did outperform intel) I ran into that trouble  so I switched to Intel because my cousin suggested.

Ive been using Intel for 3 years now and I couldn't have been more happy, not one mobo failure or any processor problems. I still use ATI for graphics because I never ran into any problems there.    It may have just been bad luck but I got tired of shit crappin out on me and never looked back. SO untill I run into any problems with Intel or intel base mobo's im  gonna keep using them.

Intel still tops the charts on toms hardware so they are still the best. It may not be best price vs. performance  but thats ok.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

As for prices the X3 is cheaper and performs better than the best dual core from intel.

The only thing I ve seen the x3 get higher than a C2D was more PC marks...... Every game benchmark the C2D have beat the x3.

www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/amd-phenom-ii-x4-x3-vs-core-2-duo-core-i7-all-3ghz-61229/

www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-x3-8750_5.html#sect0

In the 2nd link the e8400 comes out on top a lot and is never beat by a x3. A Phenom is the only process to beat the e8400.  So I don't know where your getting your info from.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by cukimunga

As for prices the X3 is cheaper and performs better than the best dual core from intel.

The only thing I ve seen the x3 get higher than a C2D was more PC marks...... Every game benchmark the C2D have beat the x3.

www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/amd-phenom-ii-x4-x3-vs-core-2-duo-core-i7-all-3ghz-61229/

www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-x3-8750_5.html#sect0

In the 2nd link the e8400 comes out on top a lot and is never beat by a x3. A Phenom is the only process to beat the e8400.  So I don't know where your getting your info from.

Well there's these test click where the X3 beats trounces the i7 on nearly all practical applications. Then here click. However the trouble is that we can pull out links to benchmark tests that back up our argument all day then attempt to discredit those that are contrary.

Really benchmark tests are merely statistics, I use them to gauge CPU performance but unlike some don't bother to use them in argument. All I know is that it's dependent on much more than just the CPU, having a good all round AMD system is better than an i7 extreme with a crappy motherboard and GPU.

But trust me any test results that favour your argument I could match with ones that favour mine. The i7 is the best for raw power but in multi tasking it drops the ball vs AMD. That's just my opinion though.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Its strange people say that the e8400/e8500/e8600 can outclock a X3 720 BE. When it comes down to it, most games at higher graphics settings almost ignore the CPU and use the GPU. Beside my friends e8500 setup, I only was 4 fps less then his. Were both overclocked. Hes on a e8500 and im a X3 720 BE. We both use radeon 4870's. Mind you mines a tad slower then his. Doesn't seem to make much difference.

As for the i7. Damned beautiful systems! I really think they are the wave of the future. Doesn't warrant the increased cost in my opinion though hehe. I dont make enough to chuck in a extra 200 for anything. Especially something for games. Hell. I only had 500 to play with this year lol.

Originally posted by Techleo

Its strange people say that the e8400/e8500/e8600 can outclock a X3 720 BE. When it comes down to it, most games at higher graphics settings almost ignore the CPU and use the GPU. Beside my friends i7 setup, I only was 4 fps less then his. Were both overclocked. Hes on a e8500 and im a X3 720 BE. We both use radeon 4870's. Mind you mines a tad slower then his. Doesn't seem to make much difference.
      As for the i7. Damned beautiful systems! I really think they are the wave of the future. Doesn't warrant the increased cost in my opinion though hehe. I dont make enough to chuck in a extra 200 for anything. Especially something for games. Hell. I only had 500 to play with this year lol.

Didnt quite understand you were Ive high lighted the text.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107

I never pay attention to "benchmarks" for the simple fact that you can always find conflicting results.  I have a core i7 920 atm.  It replaced and old Pentium D 3.4GHz and the upgrade is amazing obviously.  I was seriously looking at the Phenom II's but after the crap that happend with the first Phenoms, I changed my mind.  I also never really look at upcoming architecture like the socket change (unless it's right over the horizon from my build date :) for the simple fact that I NEVER upgrade existing equipment.  I used to always buy parts based on future upgradability but would then just build a new system when the time came.  I mean, computer hardware changes all the time.  Trying to say that the i7 socket is "obsolete" is kinda silly.  I would be a little worried about a company that didn't advance all aspects of it's hardware. Just my O.

Z

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Pardon the typo Astro. I was simply saying my friends e8500 and my x3 were basically the same. Sure they get a bit different benchmarks but they effectively were the same speeds using the same ram and graphics card. Although my AMD basically swallowed his whole when I was doing a little gmax.

The real reason I went AMD is.. they just never die on me. >.....> not exactly logical!

Aha. Now I understand what you wrote. My english isnt so good either so my apology if I sounded harsh (when I was quite short and in a hurry).  

Correct me now if Im all wrong. But isnt  a phenom x3 infact a x4 that has its forth core shut down (from bios) becuse its not stabile enough for the store. You can probably activate the forth core so you have a quad core insteed of a triple core. if you can do that, be sure to stress test that last core so its stable enough so you wont see alot of BSOD.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

On certain mobos you can unlock the 4th core on Phenom X3's.  Some of them have a 4th core fine, just deactivated due to demand.  However, getting the good 4th core is really dependant on luck much like overclocking.  With the 4th core deactivated, you actually have a bit more overclocking headroom due to less heat.  The same is going to apply to AMDs Phenom X2's being released soon as well.  They have 4 cores, and 2 of them were deemed bad at factory so they turned them off rather then throwing it away.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Yeah i just recently upgraded my comp, been a few years..used to do it like every year.

Anyways after researching for weeks, i finally ended up going with the phenom X3 (only becuase the quad i want from them wont be out for a few more months =) ) and the truly awesome Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Motherboard and some sweet DDR3.

I spent little over 700 for everything including the Corsair 850 psu...i just happened to get lucky at newegg as they had lots of sales...Going AMD/ATI was once again the best bang for the buck, my new comp is powerful as hell...that black edition Phenom overclocks with the stock cooler very easily, not so much into overclocking but hell i said why not.

Maybe one day i'll build an Intel comp, but when you can get the power that you can from AMD for the prices they charge its hard to go with anything else.

Not that i can't afford to go Intel hehe, just find it a waste since the performance isn't insanely better then what AMD can deliver.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• xKrNMBoYxxKrNMBoYx Member Posts: 165

I'm a AMD/ATI Fan Boy, but I do believe that Intel and Nvidia is being superior.

I'd say the best deal for a Quad core CPU computer would have to be the AM2+ Socket AMD Phenom II X4 940 with a good am2+ motherboard, and good ram, etc.  Newegg the CPU only cost like what 219.99 or 229.99 so you can use the rest of the money on motherboard, ram, harddrive.  You can use your old dvd drive, unless your gong to upgrade to blueray