Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs, we need third person view.

1235»

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

People are screaming for changes in the MMO gaming world for something new, what do they do when finally a MMO tries to be different..

They whine about it.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I've a preferable soluton:

Don't switch to third-person when mounted, either.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • BamboleroBambolero Member Posts: 2

I think it`s a technical issue.

It`s a typical case of choosing a lesser evil.

When I saw the video trailer of this game I realised it has a great cutting edge graphics on par with AoC and it`s a non-istanced "seamless" world, like AoC should have been.

And there lies the problem.

Our PCs just can`t handle that.

I have a high-end PC and I can play AoC at highest settings and it runs smoothly, but it`s an instanced world.

Those silly instances costed AoC a lot of subscribers, but not as much as the ultimate game killer, the technical annoyance.

So even fully instanced AoC could only run somewhat normally ONLY on highest-end PCs.

Now imagine AoC with seamless world ala Vanguard.

Not playable for anyone really.

Vanguard has some good graphics but it never runs really smooth on any system.

LOTRO is seamless world with good graphics and runs smoothly even on old systems, but the character models and animations lack, they are lightyears away from AoC models and animations.

What I`m saying is that AoC type of graphics and seamless world is not doable atm.

You can make the game but it`s not going to run good for anyone so thats much more of a gamebreaking problem then instances or FPV.

So it`s really a design choise.

MO dev team wanted to keep highend graphics and seamless world but obviosly they had to sacrifice something in order to make it work.

I`m not a computer expert but I would imagine that FPV is much less stressfull on the PC then TPV animations etc.

Darkfall has seamless world that looks great AND TPV combat but their character models and animations look like they were designed in the 90`s.

So you have to choose a lesser evil, you can't have it all.

AoC team went with instances and had to cut on other things in order ot make the eye candy... and bombed.

MO goes with FPV knowing that they will lose big number of players right off the bat so they gamble that there are enough FPV/FPS fans to keep the game running.

We`ll see.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Torgrim

People are screaming for changes in the MMO gaming world for something new, what do they do when finally a MMO tries to be different..
    They whine about it.

QFT,

Change, embrace it!

• MptrMptr Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Bambolero

*Post*

Aoc/Vanguard is not Mo.

Age of Conan is based on an engine badly optimized for mmo's

Vanguard was really badly coded, now it's better.

as you said, we'll see.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

As I posted in another thread, I hate 1st person.

1st person feels like you have a diving mask on, and it makes you feel like you are disengaged from the game world. You can't tell what exactly you are standing on and you don't know what's right beside you. It's not "realistic" feeling at all.

And as far as the graphics, if you are running along following a friend or several, does it really matter that much if you also see yourself?

Once upon a time....

• OsahaOsaha Member Posts: 5

First person for me makes a game like this much more enjoyable, combat wise.  As it adds much more to the combat and the way you move around the games environment.  Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and many others have got a good first person system, which I hope make their way into MMOs in the future.

The only downside of this type of view and the real time combat, is that latency really does make a difference in how you hit the enemy.  In Darkfall anyhow I noticed.  I am just praying they have an Oceanic based server or two.

Killer: 80%, Achiever: 67%, Socializer: 27%, Explorer: 27%

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by Osaha

First person for me makes a game like this much more enjoyable, combat wise.  As it adds much more to the combat and the way you move around the games environment.  Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and many others have got a good first person system, which I hope make their way into MMOs in the future.
    The only downside of this type of view and the real time combat, is that latency really does make a difference in how you hit the enemy.  In Darkfall anyhow I noticed.  I am just praying they have an Oceanic based server or two.

So you played Darkfall, so I want to ask you this. Since Darkfall has the 3rd person view in hand to hand combat, but it's a tight view that gives an almost identical feel in moving around as a 1st person view, how did you like that compared to 1st person only that other games have?

Once upon a time....

• OsahaOsaha Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Osaha

The only downside of this type of view and the real time combat, is that latency really does make a difference in how you hit the enemy.  In Darkfall anyhow I noticed.  I am just p

So you played Darkfall, so I want to ask you this. Since Darkfall has the 3rd person view in hand to hand combat, but it's a tight view that gives an almost identical feel in moving around as a 1st person view, how did you like that compared to 1st person only that other games have?

The third person view in Darkfall was only partially third person.  I didn't mind that view because you still had to turn around to see behind you.  You could not just move the camera behind you every now and again to check if something is following you.  You can imagine trying to run away from something, and the only way to check if it is still after you is to physically turn around and look, slowing you down.

After thinking about the restrictions of first person combat a little longer.  There is the restriction which stops you looking side to side, it is like you can't move your neck at all.  I can see the problem some people can have with that now.

Killer: 80%, Achiever: 67%, Socializer: 27%, Explorer: 27%

• SilentCidSilentCid Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by oakthornn

MMORPG's should have a third person view. This is not a stupid FPS game! Why are devs trying to mix fps with mmo's?!!??! Each one they made for the whinny fps fanbois have come back to bite them on the arse..
    MO is only going to appeal to fps fans, thats it. True MMORPG vets like myself who has started with UO and EQ will NEVER even think of playing a 1st person MMORPG. Its dumb. I like seeing what my character is doing. The only time I ever use 1st person mode is when exploring a new dungeon, new boss monster, or while taking screenshots. This usually lasts a few moments before I switch back to 3rd person.
    Personally, If the devs don't add a 3rd person view option, then that would be incredibly lame and they'l lose out on tens of thousands of dollars.. Not smart in my opinion for something that literally takes a day to implement. *shrug*

Hey I am a vet of both UO and EQ and I must say you don't speak for everyone about playing such a game. I think it's a good idea. Morrowind like game all the way.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by joshe

Originally posted by RajCaj

In addition....a seamless MMO with no instances = lag, latency and other movement sensitive issues that come as a result of server load and network latency.  The very nature of a MMO game make it less "twitchy" than a FPS thats got a static map the size of a very small area on a MMO map, and with 10-12 players on the entire server.

Let me know how that "fraction of a second" turn with your mouse to see whats behind you works when there are 100+ people in the same immediate area.  Anyone who's played MMOs before know what playing in lag is like......but introducing this twitch factor adds another uncontrolable variable in PvP & PvE. 

So you are basically against a ground breaking mmorp game, and want's another clone of EQ solutions - both game mechanics, and hardware/serverside solutions ?

so its a clone now if it has tpv..{mod edit}. whats wrong with having both viewing  options available. *steps back and watches this communitity go into the shitter*

Originally posted by SilentCid

Originally posted by oakthornn

MMORPG's should have a third person view. This is not a stupid FPS game! Why are devs trying to mix fps with mmo's?!!??! Each one they made for the whinny fps fanbois have come back to bite them on the arse..
    MO is only going to appeal to fps fans, thats it. True MMORPG vets like myself who has started with UO and EQ will NEVER even think of playing a 1st person MMORPG. Its dumb. I like seeing what my character is doing. The only time I ever use 1st person mode is when exploring a new dungeon, new boss monster, or while taking screenshots. This usually lasts a few moments before I switch back to 3rd person.
    Personally, If the devs don't add a 3rd person view option, then that would be incredibly lame and they'l lose out on tens of thousands of dollars.. Not smart in my opinion for something that literally takes a day to implement. *shrug*

Hey I am a vet of both UO and EQ and I must say you don't speak for everyone about playing such a game. I think it's a good idea. Morrowind like game all the way.

i played morrowind in 3rd person, so whats your point?

Originally posted by Torgrim

They whine about it.

there is nothing new about fpv..its in every mmo. People are screaming out for less restrictions in mmo's, and  what do we get but more restrictions.

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by ronan32 
    so its a clone now if it has tpv..{mod edit}. whats wrong with having both viewing  options available. *steps back and watches this communitity go into the shitter*
    there is nothing new about fpv..its in every mmo. People are screaming out for less restrictions in mmo's, and what do we get but more restrictions.

How about you read some of the arguments stated in the multiple FPV vs TPV threads here and on the official forums before asking such a silly question.

FPV is in every MMO but no MMO has beed DESIGNED for FPV. The whole concept of MO, the combat system, the skills ect revolve around the fact that the game is going to be FPV.

Quite frankly, if you don't like it you can run along and go play something else.