Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of trying again

I played the game for about 2 weeks after release, loved the ship combat but I wasn't huge on the avatar play but it was a new game so much may of changed since then. I am wondering what changes have been made that would make a player interested in trying again? I will most likely try again either way but I am curious.

I just hope that players talk now, I would say hey, hello, sir? hello? and theyd just keep on running around ignoring me :P.

*edited for spelling*

Comments

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by DubonEngeven

I just hope that players talk now, I would say hey, hello, sir? hello? and theyd just keep on running around ignoring me :P.

Av-com has been completely re-vamped so its definitely worth another try.

There is a new skirmish system shortly being introduced to give the newer players some no loss contests & PvP experience.

There was always a too serious player approach to Potbs due to high risk & the steep initial learning curve which was compounded as more players reached lvl50 & ganking became commonplace.

Potbs is a player driven Age of Sail game which deserves to be doing better but FLS & the good members have so far struggled to form a cohesive community. The game is dominated by immature minority PvP groups & closed economic societies. The forums are still full of posters with characters stuck on servers that they want transferring.

In the longer term the community should sort itself out & Potbs will eventually appeal to the more patient mature player that likes to take their time to PvP-PVE in 1720's wooden ships or playing the economy. The days of the younger impatient PvP player are numbered as FLS has been unable to satisfy their constant demands for more populations (nearly said victims) there is however a more silent respectful majority that still enjoys the game.

There is new blood slowly coming in the game & the mistakes of the past will eventually die so despite all I am very confident about the future.

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100

/snip
    In the longer term the community should sort itself out & Potbs will eventually appeal to the more patient mature player that likes to take their time to PvP-PVE in 1720's wooden ships or playing the economy. The days of the younger impatient PvP player are numbered as FLS has been unable to satisfy their constant demands for more populations (nearly said victims) there is however a more silent respectful majority that still enjoys the game.
    There is new blood slowly coming in the game & the mistakes of the past will eventually die so despite all I am very confident about the future.

The community interested in the Age of Sail around 1700s already left as POTBS is only very broadly based in that era and historical accuracy is small to nil. Economy is worse than it was at the release, from simplifications to continuation of closed production lines. 

So those are two strikes against. As for the new blood, do you have any subscription numbers to support the claim of the new blood? And I don't mean screenshot of light/medium servers. Last time I checked barely 2 of remaing 4 servers functioned somewhat and even that was far cry from some servers at the release. And yes, I prefer not to count the stillborn Australian experiment among the servers. 

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Kaiserjager

/snip

The community interested in the Age of Sail around 1700s already left as POTBS is only very broadly based in that era and historical accuracy is small to nil. Economy is worse than it was at the release, from simplifications to continuation of closed production lines. 

Still, the alternatives are few and far between.  Puzzle Pirates is fun, skill-based, and the economy is relatively functional, but it's not for everybody and they don't make claims of historical accuracy.  The rest of the age-of-sail games are, if I remember correctly, Asian cash-shop games.  With all its wild historical liberties, PotBS is probably as faithful to history an MMO as you could get.  The setting is fine; it's the design that is faulty.

So closed production lines are continuing despite the so-called simplification of the economy?  I'm not surprised really; the argument FLS used for the changes -- it's too complex! -- always sounded like one huge excuse for not saying that the old economy was too labour- and structure- intensive for the number of players left in the game.  And it never meant anything regarding closed production lines.  Making production faster never meant more ships would roll off assembly lines.  It just meant that closed-production guilds could discard additional boxes, or close up shop for a few weeks instead of keeping their structures running all the time.

So those are two strikes against. As for the new blood, do you have any subscription numbers to support the claim of the new blood? And I don't mean screenshot of light/medium servers. Last time I checked barely 2 of remaing 4 servers functioned somewhat and even that was far cry from some servers at the release. And yes, I prefer not to count the stillborn Australian experiment among the servers. 

I don't play the game at this time, so I can't comment on this. However, I can't say I have seen much advertising of Pirates of the Burning Sea anywhere.

As for the new Australian server, didn't people already point out that it was a mistake before it even launched?

Originally posted by Kaiserjager

/snip

Well the game probably only has a handful of active PvP core players left that may have themselves accidentally chased away the original Age of Sail enthusiasts due to conflicting PvE & PvP areas, even Antiqua now has quiet periods which can be frustrating.

I based my comments about new blood on the fact that there is some current general advertising going on & the new forum posters on the whole are happy with Potbs meaning they have not had to endure all the problems of the past so much.

That's not to say some still don't exist but FLS have made improvements & they claim themselves that populations are increasing, however just recently many see FLS as supporting a minority of players that may never get over the issues they have with servers like invincible/defiant. The aussie venture was riddled with fail from the start imo.

Defiant should have been an international server & made a clean break from the aussie connection or not introduced at all; also FLS should give players that tried it the option to transfer off, without it things could still get worse before they get better. There appears to be some technical issues with the transfer system right now that FLS are looking into.

Nowadays with the global Internet regional servers should not be needed & PB times were only introduced because of low populations, The average age of Potbs subscribers is around 30 so it appeals more to mature players but FLS are still a very young inexperienced mmorpg company with slow content updates & limited resources but they appear to be in it for the longterm.

Given a lot of time things should improve so it is a game that is worth taking a rest from if you get frustrated or bored & re-visiting from time to time. Ultimately it is the community that makes any mmorpg especially in the Potbs end-game which only takes a few weeks to reach or much sooner with the x2 exp that should increase Defiant's populations.

A lot depends on how soon FLS can fix the transfer system & build up a community based on respect, I could post a lot more solid suggestions on the FLS forums but i'm not allowed to right now & it's not clear that FLS want to listen, they seem more interested in getting rid of the so called "bad stuff", the problem there is that they may be biting the hand that feeds them & getting rid of the wrong enthusiastic people. They cut posts from their forums & give infractions that break no rules just because they think it is bad publicity when infact it is a deliberate attempt for them cover up the truth. The bacon goddess claims there is  "No reason for a deletion or edit as it's valuable constructive criticism" but there many other posts & threads that disappear that she doesn't talk about.

FLS were not interested in losing populations during the av-com re-vamp so they are probably not interested now.

The FLS Producer Misha said if things didn't work out they would look at doing something about it; she has also said that there is a ton of content that they want to introduce which they have no time on if & when it will be done!

So there you have it, a long wait & the patience of a saint is needed but in the meantime Potbs still has the best ship combat of any mmorpg. :)

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

I think ill give it a try within the next week, no reason not to. If I don't like it its 1 monthly fee, not a big deal. Im really interested in the game mainly because im sick and tired of elves, swords and magic, you know how it is. Played EQ 7 years WoW 1-1.5 years along with LOTRO, L2, SB and dozens of other MMOs.

Honestly I would love to play a game with good ship combat.... Been playing Empire Total War for ship combat.... figure PotBS will have better ship combat than that ^-^

• Originally posted by DJXeon 
    A lot depends on how soon FLS can fix the transfer system & build up a community based on respect, I could post a lot more solid suggestions on the FLS forums but i'm not allowed to right now & it's not clear that FLS want to listen, they seem more interested in getting rid of the so called "bad stuff", the problem there is that they may be biting the hand that feeds them & getting rid of the wrong enthusiastic people. They cut posts from their forums & give infractions that break no rules just because they think it is bad publicity when infact it is a deliberate attempt for them cover up the truth. The bacon goddess claims there is  "No reason for a deletion or edit as it's valuable constructive criticism" but there many other posts & threads that disappear that she doesn't talk about 

FFS, man, get over it already... people don't disrespect you because the forum community is bad, people disrespect you because your forum posting is bad (read: terrible).  We're all smart enough to see through the so-called "honest posts meant to inspire discussion and promote a mutual respect among players" and see them for the flamebait they really were.  When you didn't quit while you were arguably ahead, you got temp-banned and threw a tantrum.  Really, man, just get over it.  Don't go on IRC and threaten to call the CEO of the game development company on the phone to inform him of the dire forum conspiracy against you, or anything else equally silly, just stop.

All of the other feedback in this thread is pretty much spot on ( though I disagree with kaiserjager - Roberts, Blackbeard and Antigua all seem to be chugging right along, so it's 3 out of 5 servers functioning :p )... mistakes have been made by FLS and, even as communicative as they are with the community, they tend to post about inconsequential things rather than answer the burning questions we've been asking.  Even so, it's a great game for internet sailboat PvP!

Originally posted by Havohej

FFS, man, get over it already... people don't disrespect you because the forum community is bad, people disrespect you because your forum posting is bad (read: terrible).  We're all smart enough to see through the so-called "honest posts meant to inspire discussion and promote a mutual respect among players" and see them for the flamebait they really were.  When you didn't quit while you were arguably ahead, you got temp-banned and threw a tantrum.  Really, man, just get over it.  Don't go on IRC and threaten to call the CEO of the game development company on the phone to inform him of the dire forum conspiracy against you, or anything else equally silly, just stop.

LoL If others believe that then they will believe anything. 

btw i did remember phoning Rusty but he didnt pick up so left a personal message on his extension - wow you got a good memory it's water under the bridge now so get over it yourself however my comments above stand & have proved to be true.

Both you & P.Pete have consistantly trolled or derailed my threads with your personal off topic insulting comments so in some respects i'm glad i'm not there as even mmorpg.com posters appear more mature nowadays.

I've been on potbs irc only 3 times lol & the phoning Rusty comment was not made there by myself so you are wrong again. In fact it was made in a ticket that should never have been discussed in public so it again proves my point that FLS break their own rules.

Instead of attacking other posters go do your correspondent bit as you are much better at it.

Whatsup the FLS forums getting boring? (67 logged in including guests, only 26 members lol vs Darkfall 2000+ when i last checked ) lol I'm damn sure figures were higher when I used to post there, better to have an active forum than a dead one.

Enjoy your massive worldwide audience cause I've given up with trying to help FLS.

• Because saying that civilian lineship deeds from NPC vendors is a stupid idea is off-topic and personally insulting, am I right?

Also, yes the "I'll phone Rusty" 'threat' was made on IRC by you.  The following is taken from my IRC client's chat log, February 15th, 2009:

03[23:25] * GB ([email protected]) has joined #burningsea

[23:26] <GB> Hi all why is FLS deleting support tickets with no response?

[23:27] <@NTRabbit>; no idea

[23:27] <GB> anyone there?

[23:27] <@NTRabbit>; i haven't filed a support tiket since last year

[23:27] <GB> there is a cover up going on

[23:28] <@NTRabbit>; :O

[23:28] <GB> I'm gonna find out from Rusty if he know

[23:28] <@NTRabbit>; but what if he's a part of the conspiracy?

[23:29] <GB> ah yes i will find out

[23:29] <GB> If he is ill let everyone else know

[23:30] <ArmEagle> heh, i've sent lots of tickets, and never got one deleted

[23:30] <GB> Just had two deleted withibn 5 mins

[23:30] <ArmEagle> well, be a bit nicer then! :)

[23:31] <GB> It says in Forum rules1 if you have a issue with a member of staff to sub a ticket

[23:31] <GB> i did it was deleted lol

[23:32] <GB> Then i asked why it was deleted in a separate ticket & that was deleted

[23:33] <GB> forum leaders are being deleted too

[23:33] <GB> Garbad & myself no longer listed

[23:35] <GB> me thinks there is conspiracy going one i'll let rusty know

[23:35] <GB> on*

[23:35] <GB> Hope hes not in on it

[23:36] <ArmEagle> heh

[23:36] <@NTRabbit>; wasn't garbad banned for being a twat?

[23:36] <ArmEagle> anyway, Rusty is away for a few days I think

[23:37] <GB> i can be very nice but players should be allowed to post constructive critism

[23:37] <GB> ah ok ill e-mail him & phone him when hes back

[23:38] <@NTRabbit>; phone him?!

[23:39] <GB> yer he picks up the phone sometimes

[23:39] <@NTRabbit>; ...

You said more silly stuff after that, but the point's been made.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Classic. :)

Forum leader? Dude, your lunatic ravings, constant spouting of opinion as concrete fact and total disregard for logic and reality are the reason some people don't go near those boards anymore. It's too frustrating trying to hold a reasonable conversation there.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Classic. :)

Forum leader? Dude, your lunatic ravings, constant spouting of opinion as concrete fact and total disregard for logic and reality are the reason some people don't go near those boards anymore. It's too frustrating trying to hold a reasonable conversation there.

@ Hav So long ago now, surprised you brought it up, I did phone Rusty thou so I wasn't lying :)

My apologies i was confusing a ticket I made - Let it die anyway m8.

@ Lynx for over a year i had no infractions & my comments were usually to trolls on my own threads.

Sure i put over my points strongly, I'm a strong player - Top posters & knowledgable beta players became targets for a few childish egotistic disruptor's that are still there! I tried always to be constructive & respectful but the favor wasn't returned, I'm better off out of it the way things are now as no good will come of it for Potbs.

I've seen many a mmorpg ruined by vocal PvP minorities & Potbs is fast heading the same way encouraged by FLS inexperience, things have gone down hill fast since I left; the day that they support the silent majority will be the turning point.

Banning top posters or Potbs most enthusiastic players is suicide for FLS in my opinion, look at the current low numbers on the FLS forum & server populations, no one is safe if Dani continues to dish out infrations that do not break the rules.

My apolgies also to the OP for this divertion but the best convos now seem to be here lol.

Back on topic, give Potbs a try by all means  :)

Originally posted by Havohej

Because saying that civilian lineship deeds from NPC vendors is a stupid idea is off-topic and personally insulting, am I right?
    Also, yes the "I'll phone Rusty" 'threat' was made on IRC by you.  The following is taken from my IRC client's chat log, February 15th, 2009:
    03[23:25] * GB ([email protected]) has joined #burningsea

[23:26] <GB> Hi all why is FLS deleting support tickets with no response?

[23:27] <@NTRabbit>; no idea

[23:27] <GB> anyone there?

[23:27] <@NTRabbit>; i haven't filed a support tiket since last year

[23:27] <GB> there is a cover up going on

[23:28] <@NTRabbit>; :O

[23:28] <GB> I'm gonna find out from Rusty if he know

[23:28] <@NTRabbit>; but what if he's a part of the conspiracy?

[23:29] <GB> ah yes i will find out

[23:29] <GB> If he is ill let everyone else know

[23:30] <ArmEagle> heh, i've sent lots of tickets, and never got one deleted

[23:30] <GB> Just had two deleted withibn 5 mins

[23:30] <ArmEagle> well, be a bit nicer then! :)

[23:31] <GB> It says in Forum rules1 if you have a issue with a member of staff to sub a ticket

[23:31] <GB> i did it was deleted lol

[23:32] <GB> Then i asked why it was deleted in a separate ticket & that was deleted

[23:35] <GB> me thinks there is conspiracy going one i'll let rusty know

[23:35] <GB> on*

[23:35] <GB> Hope hes not in on it

[23:36] <ArmEagle> heh

[23:36] <@NTRabbit>; wasn't garbad banned for being a twat?

[23:36] <ArmEagle> anyway, Rusty is away for a few days I think

[23:37] <GB> i can be very nice but players should be allowed to post constructive critism

[23:37] <GB> ah ok ill e-mail him & phone him when hes back

[23:38] <@NTRabbit>; phone him?!

[23:39] <GB> yer he picks up the phone sometimes

[23:39] <@NTRabbit>; ...

You said more silly stuff after that, but the point's been made.

As an impartial spectator i just had to say, BURN, that is all.

lol hit 0 and rolled over to 23 hours... It appears to be the last file so im holding my breath.

• AtilliusAtillius Member Posts: 16

I came back about a month ago.....tried it....and......the game hasn't changed, aside from cosmetics....its not worth my money for my expectations which we where led believe in Closed Beta, Beta, Pre-Board....etc etc.  The econ is probably WORSE now then it was a year ago.  My crew I gamed with have all left, and I've maxed out each class.....still lopsided and the NERF gun is still ever present.  The game is not worth it anymore. 

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Atillius

I came back about a month ago.....tried it....and......the game hasn't changed, aside from cosmetics....its not worth my money for my expectations which we where led believe in Closed Beta, Beta, Pre-Board....etc etc.  The econ is probably WORSE now then it was a year ago.  My crew I gamed with have all left, and I've maxed out each class.....still lopsided and the NERF gun is still ever present.  The game is not worth it anymore. 

Unfortunately, you're right. This game had so much potential, but they've really wasted it.  I still hope they can salvage it, but I'm not particularly confident.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

They did such a cool job making a sailing sim but as an mmo it lacked wich is too bad.   The world is just way too small for one.  Sailing and the ships combat is great.   Add some map and let us explore maybe?  The Av combat I really havnt tried lately.  I hope the devs watch the market for those who had items people want and quit therefore taking them out of circulation.  Like the government, print more items when that happens.  Thats why I stopped playing after renewing for a month after taking a long time off.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.