Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

March Producer note

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Incase you hadn't already seen it:

Howdy,

I want to start out by thanking everyone for starting the month out with a bang (pun intended) by taking part in our House Pack-Up event. In the first hour of the event alone you destroyed a combined total of over 30,000 structures! Furthermore, since the start of the event you have knocked down over 300,000 structures. In the words of Lord Vader, “Most impressive.”

So this month heralds the arrival of Update 8: Player Associations and Player Cities. This is the first city update since player cities launched in our game once upon a time and we’re all very excited about that. In addition to the new UI for both PAs and Cities, new city gardens, and a mountain of bug fixes/improvements, Update 8 also features four new collections, overhead map customization capabilities, and an increase to the group xp modifier.

Up next is Update 9: Structures and Domestics. I’m proud to announce that this update will introduce three frequently requested structure features; new houses, houses that can be custom painted, and houses with windows. First off, we’re introducing two completely new houses into the game that can be crafted by structure traders. One is a small house and one is a medium house; the small house is pictured below.

Both of these new houses feature windows and they can be colored. Structure traders will also be able to craft six windowed/colorable houses that are based on existing house floorplans.

Other things to watch out for in Update 9 include updates to existing food buffs and “Barn-Lite”. Barn-Lite is for all the players who want the TCG Barn but have not yet been able to obtain one. Barn-Lite is an object that can be crafted by a structure trader and then placed in any structure to give it a maximum beast storage capacity of 12 beasts (depending on how well it’s crafted).

People asked last month why I didn’t write about anything beyond the current update and the subsequent update. The primary reason for this is that things can change very rapidly and the team needs to be nimble enough to respond. I don’t want to put certain information out there only to have things change and then see the backlash of, “they promised x, y, z and now we’re not getting any of that”. In fact, not giving any information on future updates in the last Producer Note actually worked out very well because there have indeed been changes to the production schedule since then. The player desires on the forums, coupled with the actual PvP metrics that we pulled, have inspired us to change our plans and devote an entire update to PvP. I’m not going to give a timeframe or specific plans in this Producer Note (I should have some details in the next one) but a PvP Update is something that is actively in development right now.

Now onto the other big topic of late: GCW. The update mentioned above is a PvP-specific update and not the full GCW update that some have been asking for. I do want to say that we are exploring options for a full GCW update and it is something that we would definitely like to do. To that end, we will be opening an official thread regarding our GCW plans in the Private Senate Forum and will be working directly with the Senators to gather focused feedback as we move into development on that update. We do not want full GCW proposals written up for us. We’ve seen a lot of them and, while some are good, they’re not exactly what we’re looking for at this point in the process. Senators, we will be asking focused questions for you to gather feedback on every week or two. Details are minimal right now but I will state that what we have in mind will affect all aspects and professions in the game (crafters, pilots, combat professions, entertainers, etc).

Finally, as was mentioned in my last Producer Note, if you haven’t opted-in for Star Wars Galaxies emails, I suggest you do it now. We have something special coming. It’s taken a little longer to prepare the announcement than anticipated but we should be announcing it any time now.

-Dotanuki

p.s. If you hadn't seen, today is Valara's last day with SOE. I want to personally thank her for all the help and support she gave me the entire time she was here. She was an excellent Community Manager and will be deeply missed by the entire Dev team.

Best wishes to you and your family, Valara!

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/...topic_id=870102

Comments

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

oo thanks obraik.  I dont go near the main forums often, but for this i will to read the rest of the info.  

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

This team is taking far too long to address what is important to the community. They act as if they have ten years to complete everything. I want a functional droid. I do not want a pet. I play Star Wars not Pokeman. What does the team do first? They give people pets. It may not even be this year before I can have an useful droid. Why?

I don't need a house with windows. I will never move the 700 items in my current house to any other location. Why is this the thing they are working on first? Where is a workable GCW? Why can I cut down a storm troop in front of a starport with no consequences? A house with windows is more important than addressing the GCW? Who sets these priorities? Nuts!

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

The community has been begging for more houses since before GCW existed.  They also wanted a better guild system and a city revamp.  This is supposedly included in this.   How does one deal with issues of equal importance to the community?  You pick one and work on it.  Sorry that they didn't get to your main issue of the GCW, but for many including myself GCW is of very small importance and city and guild tools and more houses are more important to me then being a general.    So this time they are working on this.    Since noise of equal or possibly greater value was made about cities for a long time including a few unsavory things like being able to sell cities sony picked this community issue.   Do you know how long city mayors, guild leaders  and structure traders have been lobbying for this? So I'm sorry if an issue which is of less importance to you is being dealt with before the GCW , but realize that the bulk of this game runs on PVE content not pvp.   You also sound really miserable in this game in your posts why dont you just quit and find something more to your liking?  I dont think I can see you finding a single positive attribute to this game not one.    So why bother playing it looks like its making your life a total misery.  Cut your stress level down and stop paying for the game and find one that stresses you out and depresses you less obviously this game is not for you. 

Originally posted by ummax
    The community has been begging for more houses since before GCW existed.  They also wanted a better guild system and a city revamp.  This is supposedly included in this.   How does one deal with issues of equal importance to the community?  You pick one and work on it.  Sorry that they didn't get to your main issue of the GCW, but for many including myself GCW is of very small importance and city and guild tools and more houses are more important to me then being a general.    So this time they are working on this.    Since noise of equal or possibly greater value was made about cities for a long time including a few unsavory things like being able to sell cities sony picked this community issue.   Do you know how long city mayors, guild leaders  and structure traders have been lobbying for this? So I'm sorry if an issue which is of less importance to you is being dealt with before the GCW , but realize that the bulk of this game runs on PVE content not pvp.   You also sound really miserable in this game in your posts why dont you just quit and find something more to your liking?  I dont think I can see you finding a single positive attribute to this game not one.    So why bother playing it looks like its making your life a total misery.  Cut your stress level down and stop paying for the game and find one that stresses you out and depresses you less obviously this game is not for you. 

I play the game because I enjoy seeing my friends. There is enough in game to keep me interested. You should not try to run people off. If folks who marginally accept what is going on in SWG all left, you alone would not be able to pay the bills. You should think about this before opening your mouth.

If I am critical of the game, it is because there is plenty to criticize. I do not cheerlead for the game. I believe my viewpoint is rational and balanced. The game is still called Star Wars Galaxies - An Empire Divided. It is not called Lets Play House in a Star Wars Themed Pokeman Adventureland.

Akevv Ostone

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by akevv

This team is taking far too long to address what is important to the community. They act as if they have ten years to complete everything. I want a functional droid. I do not want a pet. I play Star Wars not Pokeman. What does the team do first? They give people pets. It may not even be this year before I can have an useful droid. Why?
    I don't need a house with windows. I will never move the 700 items in my current house to any other location. Why is this the thing they are working on first? Where is a workable GCW? Why can I cut down a storm troop in front of a starport with no consequences? A house with windows is more important than addressing the GCW? Who sets these priorities? Nuts!

If you read the producers note, you'll see they're working on updates for the GCW :)

I play the game because I enjoy seeing my friends. There is enough in game to keep me interested. You should not try to run people off. If folks who marginally accept what is going on in SWG all left, you alone would not be able to pay the bills. You should think about this before opening your mouth.

If I am critical of the game, it is because there is plenty to criticize. I do not cheerlead for the game. I believe my viewpoint is rational and balanced. The game is still called Star Wars Galaxies - An Empire Divided. It is not called Lets Play House in a Star Wars Themed Pokeman Adventureland.

Well first I"m not trying to "run you off".   Really if you read what you write there is not positive aspect of the game you like.   So basically you hate the game, but you play to socialize (like a chat room?) basically.    The issues of the GCW are being dealt with however the housing update/ city revamp has in fact been pushed back I think 3 times for things like hoth (GCW experience and heroic area), server transfers and other things.    Now the GCW in the scheme of things is relativly newer it was not in existance when the game launched and the requests although numerous are no less or more important to the gaming experience in general.    Its just not something your interested therefor your critical of it basically.  There is nothing wrong with them working on issues in order of age in fact it makes sense.    Its not a trivial issue to many people in fact its very "untrivial" to many and there are probably more threads on housing and needs for better guild tools and a city revamp/update then on the GCW.   So this time they are updating that.   In awhile they will update something else.  It should also be evident that the development team for this particular game is actually pretty small so they can only work on so much at once.    This game was never really star wars in the way you want.   Not since the first day of launch.   So why would it be now?  So unfortunately the housing and new designs and stuff is just as important to the game as anything else.   Its older and needed updating for longer so they are fixing that first.   I personaly think that your only paying to use SWG as a chat room and find it aweful (your posts reflect that).    Why do people pay for something they dont like?  Its cause its "star wars"? really the logic of it all has always escaped me.    From the list of problems you have with this game itl ooks to me like it will always be a thorn in your side that you reluctantly play (even though its voluntary to play it).   So why bother?   I mean .. I can't see why anyone with this much of a problem list would bother to play this game (or any game for that matter).   Yeah they are addressing GCW in awhile down the road the fact remains this stuff has been on the table for longer and needing updating for longer so they are doing it first (after pushing it back 3 times that I can remember off the top of my head for other issues like Hoth and appearance tabs and a few other things )  Your time willl come too , just not today.  It should not be that big an issue though if you enjoy the game the improved GCW will be like a shiny new toy to make the game better then it already is or at least that ishow most updates work for most people.   I mean I am glad they are adding new structures its something I have been waiting for and can't wait to see what else they are doing regarding the city stuff and guild stuff, but I have fun in the game as it is now and dont get upset if they fix something else that I'm not interested in.    It all goes towards improving a gaming experience and there is no issue that is more important then any other in the scheme of things just issues that are more important to individuals.   I personaly see a guy who hates this game playing it and the thought next occurs to me that when they do a GCW revamp it probably wont be to your liking either just like the tinted windows and houses .  

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Well first I"m not trying to "run you off".   Really if you read what you write there is not positive aspect of the game you like.   So basically you hate the game, but you play to socialize (like a chat room?) basically.    The issues of the GCW are being dealt with however the housing update/ city revamp has in fact been pushed back I think 3 times for things like hoth (GCW experience and heroic area), server transfers and other things.    Now the GCW in the scheme of things is relativly newer it was not in existance when the game launched and the requests although numerous are no less or more important to the gaming experience in general.    Its just not something your interested therefor your critical of it basically.  There is nothing wrong with them working on issues in order of age in fact it makes sense.    Its not a trivial issue to many people in fact its very "untrivial" to many and there are probably more threads on housing and needs for better guild tools and a city revamp/update then on the GCW.   So this time they are updating that.   In awhile they will update something else.  It should also be evident that the development team for this particular game is actually pretty small so they can only work on so much at once.    This game was never really star wars in the way you want.   Not since the first day of launch.   So why would it be now?  So unfortunately the housing and new designs and stuff is just as important to the game as anything else.   Its older and needed updating for longer so they are fixing that first.   I personaly think that your only paying to use SWG as a chat room and find it aweful (your posts reflect that).    Why do people pay for something they dont like?  Its cause its "star wars"? really the logic of it all has always escaped me.    From the list of problems you have with this game itl ooks to me like it will always be a thorn in your side that you reluctantly play (even though its voluntary to play it).   So why bother?   I mean .. I can't see why anyone with this much of a problem list would bother to play this game (or any game for that matter).   Yeah they are addressing GCW in awhile down the road the fact remains this stuff has been on the table for longer and needing updating for longer so they are doing it first (after pushing it back 3 times that I can remember off the top of my head for other issues like Hoth and appearance tabs and a few other things )  Your time willl come too , just not today.  It should not be that big an issue though if you enjoy the game the improved GCW will be like a shiny new toy to make the game better then it already is or at least that ishow most updates work for most people.   I mean I am glad they are adding new structures its something I have been waiting for and can't wait to see what else they are doing regarding the city stuff and guild stuff, but I have fun in the game as it is now and dont get upset if they fix something else that I'm not interested in.    It all goes towards improving a gaming experience and there is no issue that is more important then any other in the scheme of things just issues that are more important to individuals.   I personaly see a guy who hates this game playing it and the thought next occurs to me that when they do a GCW revamp it probably wont be to your liking either just like the tinted windows and houses .  

It amazes me.  Between you and the TCG Senator I am surprised anyone plays this game at all.  People can be critical of the game and still play it.

edit:  paragraphs...you should look them up see what they can do for you.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Interesting new housing style there. Thanks for the update Obraik.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by akevv This team is taking far too long to address what is important to the community. They act as if they have ten years to complete everything. I want a functional droid. I do not want a pet. I play Star Wars not Pokeman. What does the team do first? They give people pets. It may not even be this year before I can have an useful droid. Why?
    If you read the producers note, you'll see they're working on updates for the GCW :)

Obraik,

This is why I highlighted the GCW being mentioned almost as an afterthought. Like I said, the team seems to think they have ten years to accomplish their goals. I hate to rain on the parade, but KOTOR is coming. If SWG is not compelling, polished, and a better value by then, the game is toast. With 1/2 of the original SWG developers (the uber talented guys) over at BioWare, does anyone have any doubt they are gunning for their original vision of a good Star Wars MMO? SWG needs to get its act together, pronto. There is NO time left for these guys to promise little and deliver even less. The time is now for the team to pull their pants up and get to work.

Akevv Ostone

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Obraik,

This is why I highlighted the GCW being mentioned almost as an afterthought. Like I said, the team seems to think they have ten years to accomplish their goals. I hate to rain on the parade, but KOTOR is coming. If SWG is not compelling, polished, and a better value by then, the game is toast. With 1/2 of the original SWG developers (the uber talented guys) over at BioWare, does anyone have any doubt they are gunning for their original vision of a good Star Wars MMO? SWG needs to get its act together, pronto. There is NO time left for these guys to promise little and deliver even less. The time is now for the team to pull their pants up and get to work.

TOR and SWG are going to be two different games.  TOR is going to be about the controlled story line where you're a hero, and with what looks like a strong focus on Jedi.  SWG will continue to be about the Star Wars world and being able to define your own role for your character within the Star Wars world and the GCW (not necessarily the hero). 

I think you'll probably find TOR is the reason SWG has been seeing alot more non-combat related updates recently.  LA (and SOE) are more then likely trying to set up some distinguishing features between the two games.  SWG has always had one of the better crafting and housing systems - neither of which have seen any updates for quite some time (player cities and to an extend, housing, haven't been updated since they first went Live way back in 2003).

SWG has a GCW at the moment, it's just been a few years since they injected some new content into it.

Originally posted by Valeran

It amazes me.  Between you and the TCG Senator I am surprised anyone plays this game at all.  People can be critical of the game and still play it.

Yeah sorry for having an opinion of my own I will remember that it offends you but still post if you dont mind.   Also dont read it and then the bad formating wont matter to you one iota. 

Yeah sorry for having an opinion of my own I will remember that it offends you but still post if you dont mind.   Also dont read it and then the bad formating wont matter to you one iota. 

Having an opinion is fine but just asking people to quit a game that has low and lowering sub rates just doesn't make sense unless you are quite ok for it to sunset. 

The only thing that offends me is stupidity and the lack of rational thinking.

Of course it is your choice to have poor writing skills...I was just offering an observation to help you out.

--------

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

Having an opinion is fine but just asking people to quit a game that has low and lowering sub rates just doesn't make sense unless you are quite ok for it to sunset. 

Of course it is your choice to have poor writing skills...I was just offering an observation to help you out.

yeah you know read the rules of conduct there is no excuse for your personal crap any longer.    My posting habits or your opinion of my abilities is just trolling nonsense.   So unless you want to like talk about the subject and leave out the garbage I really can't be bothered to discuss with you but then i never can because you can't say anything without some kind of personal crud mixed in.   

p.s. no i'm not reporting it I like to leave it up so people can see for themselves that you can't talk to some people for any other purpose but to show your criticisms of their habits or skills or lack of them.   Let's just say that being lacsidasical about message boards does not mean what you want it to mean.    I just love it when linear thinkers try to deal with non linear thinkers they never understand us so they must insult us :)

yeah you know read the rules of conduct there is no excuse for your personal crap any longer.    My posting habits or your opinion of my abilities is just trolling nonsense.   So unless you want to like talk about the subject and leave out the garbage I really can't be bothered to discuss with you but then i never can because you can't say anything without some kind of personal crud mixed in.   

p.s. no i'm not reporting it I like to leave it up so people can see for themselves that you can't talk to some people for any other purpose but to show your criticisms of their habits or skills or lack of them.   Let's just say that being lacsidasical about message boards does not mean what you want it to mean.    I just love it when linear thinkers try to deal with non linear thinkers they never understand us so they must insult us :)

My post was well within the rules.  Please report away. I addressed your response concerning asking people to just quit.  

And by the way...you should look at your own posts before you accuse people of personal attacks.  Your last paragraph (congrats by the way for using them) is a prime example of a personal attack and I have seen lesser banned from these forums.

Once again you show yourself to be a hypocrite.  I congratulate you.

--------

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

Please keep this thread on topic.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

TOR and SWG are going to be two different games.  TOR is going to be about the controlled story line where you're a hero, and with what looks like a strong focus on Jedi.  SWG will continue to be about the Star Wars world and being able to define your own role for your character within the Star Wars world and the GCW (not necessarily the hero). 
    I think you'll probably find TOR is the reason SWG has been seeing alot more non-combat related updates recently.  LA (and SOE) are more then likely trying to set up some distinguishing features between the two games.  SWG has always had one of the better crafting and housing systems - neither of which have seen any updates for quite some time (player cities and to an extend, housing, haven't been updated since they first went Live way back in 2003).
    SWG has a GCW at the moment, it's just been a few years since they injected some new content into it.

SWG has had 2 very large, very destructive changes aimed at Jedi. I see no difference there. SWG got more linear, focused quest lines and content, I see no difference there either. SWG has admitedly retained and grown some sandbox features but it's nowhere near enough to differentiate it from anything we can assume will be in SWTOR and ultimately it's a 6 year old game, it now looks it's age, it's got a very unhappy past that SOE have never managed to recover from. Also, any non-com related content that's been added pales in comparrison with the TCG shit as can be seen accross pretty much all the forums.

There's really no need to try and defend SWG against SWTOR at this point Obraik, one is a 6 year old game, with a past history that doomed it's existence even if they had managed to make it playable again, run by a company with the poorest reputation in the industry and the other is one of the most eagerly anticipated games at the momentt by a company with a huge, rabid following. It's at least a year out anyway, so go play SWG, have fun etc because I honestly don't see SWG's future being particularly bright when SWTOR comes along, SW:TFU pretty much proved that you could put a Star Wars label on a box of shit and it'll sell so discussing how good or bad SWTOR may or may not become is moot as well.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• BluekidBluekid Member Posts: 46

Thanks Obraik.

This is a breath of fresh air.