Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did pvp stop meaning player vs. player?

This was the nail in the SWG coffin for me.  After 2 weeks I made a bh/carbineer character then made him overt imperial.  I thought it would be entertaining to try my hand at some pvp combat.

So I see an overt reb who apparently didn't notice me, he was busy talking to some imps and rebs in his guild(as a sidenote, what the hell, why in the world would an imp and reb be in the same guild?) so I attack.  I was pretty happy that my character mix worked, I killed him, but as soon as I did, the spam/flame began.  For two days I got stupid messages from anyone in his guild who saw me, not to mention the idiot himself.  I offered him a rematch, but he refused, claimed I was cheating.  Now I suck at pvp, I play it for fun, win rarely and expect to lose.

Now to follow the Star Wars storyline the Imperials are at war with the rebels.  Certainly they wouldn't mind seeing a fellow imp kill a reb, but wait, would they even be in the same guild together?

Not being sarcastic or stupid but did I really do anything wrong in anyone's opinion?  And is it too much to hope for that the game would resemble the movies in something other than having some of the same characters?

Either way, I was getting fed up with the game anyway, I just wanted some other people's opinions.

Comments

• Otto_ManicOtto_Manic Member Posts: 202
    Imperials GUILDED with Rebels? I'd heard the game sucked, but you just nailed it in the face with a 2x4!!! Could someone else verify this for me? Surely this is just some /rant on SWG and is not true, right? If it is, I'd ask you if you had quit the game yet and if not, WTF not?! Seriously, that's so f-ing stupid, I don't believe that is true.

Otto!

I'm looking for some friends that I lost contact with over the years...

EQ: Horlain (Firiona Vie)
    DAOC: Kaizur (Guinevere)

• waldpiekwaldpiek Member Posts: 9
    First the game does not sux. but the guy you killed must be a real loser. if i see some1 with a flag i kill him too. if you not wanna be killed you should not be overt. so its that guy his own falt if you would not have killed him some1 else would.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I don't think you did anything wrong. They have a flag and it is part of the game. Actually I don't understand why he would even have a flag if he was not looking for some PvP action. Well unless of course he just finished a Rebel mission and gained the TEF thru the mission, in whuch case it is still his fault. He should have been looking out for Imperials. I mean the temporary TEF only lasts like five minutes.

To address the second part. Yes Imperials and Rebels can be in the same Guild/PA/Clan. I personally see nothing wrong with this. Not everyone is into role-playing so that would be a moot point. Some people just like the idea of joining the under-dog, which ironically in SWG's case would be an Imperial.  

===========================
    I hope SWG dies a slow miserable death and costs SOE a fortune in the process.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

In my guild we are mostly RL friends, Some of us wanted to be Imps some Rebels. I don't really like PvP, but some of the content is Faction Specific and I wanted to try out that content.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

and, my friend mithras, you have found the reason i left SWG.

the community is HORRIBLE.

yes, the game had its share of problems, but i managed to have fun in spite of that for a long time.

yeah, the way soe is handling that is suspect to say the least, but i still managed to have fun.

but there comes a point that you cannot handle one more hate mail over a PvP fight, or being accused of cheating just because you won, or things of that sort.

thats when the game's flaws become too much for me to play it: when i can't have fun anymore.

i had plenty of fun, "broken" game at all.

in the end, it was the players that drove me away.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• lavelle1970lavelle1970 Member Posts: 1
    Star Wars Galaxies is a boring game..no content at all...ive mastered 20 professions,and i feel i wasted my time and effort.game has little to offer.total waste of time.pvp rules even suck..lucas arts should have kept star wars a movie....

• MakestroMakestro Member Posts: 218

i like SWG, it's just the pvp on it sucks, it would be good if the imps would fight more!

:(

www.scarybadguys.com

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

They fight on Valcyn, don't know about other servers but I don't know about them.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (not a power gamer)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad from what I saw, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)

Waiting for:
    Fallen Earth (Post-apoc just rules!)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

Remember boys & girls that /addignore is there for a reason!

(i.e. dont complain when theres something you can already do to solve the problem)

• MithrasMithras Member Posts: 43

Keep in mind 5150 there is no /addignoreguild command, getting spammed by a guild of people and getting spammed by an individual are two different things.

I see your point in individual cases, but guild flames are not the same.  The idea of me sitting there and typing /addignore for a whole guild of people would get rather boring after a while, but don't think I didn't consider doing that.

This was not just about the annoying people, this was also in reaction to an overt character being upset about pvp.  he was not TEF, he was overt and for some reason threw a tantrum and whined to his buddies.  He could have got them to join with him and they would have beat me down, how he managed not to I don't know.

I've read your posts, its obvious how much you like this game and I can understand that.  When someone really likes a game they get tired of hearing the complaints about it by other people. Since I started this post however, I've gotten a lot of sympathy from people, who have obviously been in the same situation. 

(Sometimes the easy solution that stares us in the face is the wrong solution)

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Funny you should mention this....

I was an avid poster against "covert" status for the whole time I was playing which was from day 1 until about a month or so ago. I warned the Devs time and again that having a covert status and allowing Rebs and Imps the ability to group and guild with one another were bad Ideas. This turns PVP into a pointless mess and promotes gank squads of 1 overt and 10 coverts traveling together.

I am really glad WOW had the stones to separate the alliance and horde in such a way as to keep the conflict going and avoid the trappings that a covert faction status inevitably brings with it. This is just one of the many reasons why SWG is failing.

ROLEPLAYERS UNITE!!!!!

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

Heres a slightly different spin for you

I'm a covert Imperial - I personally dont play MMORPGs to PVP (I'll play an FPS for that - much fairer and designed for the purpose) but I do see the need for a PvP element in MMORPGs (SWG certainly).

However I equally (if not moreso) see a need to protect the game play of the individual, if a person doesnt wish to PvP I believe a MMORPG should offer a mechanism to avoid it - being Covert allows me to RP my Imperial character without the need to watch my back constantly, and risk losing 'stuff' (game dependant) because I didnt twink out my character for pure PvP.

I'm not saying that SWGs implimentation is perfect but I dont think that the covert option is a bad idea (I believe its a must)

I'm going to show my age here now - as long as games have kids playing (and having been one I know how much kids hate losing) its inevitable that you will get verbal (or text rather) agrovation for 'winning' (and I'm sure there are many adults out there still suffering with the same problem). The problem is with youth and no amount of game code is going to change that - this isnt a SWG problem, its not a PvP problem, its not a game problem its a people problem!

• pittbull1pittbull1 Member Posts: 108

We fight all the time on Bugfin::::02::, just to bad the imps are loosing right now..
    and btw you did right to kill him, if he cant take getting killed he shouldnt be overt, or a reb for that matter

Master Brawler
    Master fencer
    Master TKA
    Novice Medic
    Scout 4 0 0 0
    Member of MASC

This is not the post your looking for, move along

If pitbulls could lock their jaw the first pitbull would still be hanging on

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

As much as I don't want to support SWG anymore, the game is already dying as we speak.  Make the Galactic Civil War even harder and you'll have even more quitters.

You see, there used to be a time when Rebels owned everything.  They were much more populated, thus SOE had to give Imperials ATST's or else everyone would become Rebel.  So then the Imperials started to become equal and up to date they are outnumbering Rebels just because Imperial players want to own Stormtrooper Armor and show-off their big ATST's even if they never PVP with them.

Here's what you do when people are harassing you.

#1 - Make sure they send TELLS and not just spatial!  All that you need is 1 tell from the harasser and you automatically win.

#2 - Using /tell, start warning the person that you feel harassed and that if they continue you will report them.  Trust me, those that have gotten warnings SHUT UP!  Those that never got any warnings will laugh at your face or say "Report me? Go ahead, SOE can't do sh1t".

#3 - Press CTRL+H and hit the "Report Harassment" button, and write that the person is harassing you, that he's telling his entire guild to insult you and talk behind your back when you are not around.  You'll see, SOE sends a warning email to them.  If you ever feel harassed by him or his guild, send another report and that person gets banned for a week from SWG!  image

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• SWChaosGoDSWChaosGoD Member Posts: 6
    Ok, ANYONE thats says the community of SWG sux, is completely insane. I have an in-game experience with more than enough people to say that the whole games peopel are nice. I met 100+ people willing to GIVE me money or UBESE and FLASH'S and big 2 story 1 basement houses, free speedersof everything, customization kits, pets, blueprints- to Y wing bombers Tie fighters, guilds, skills, everything. The people in that game are not like people who play runescape and think there god and uber pro. Even the good people in SWG know how to be nice to 'noobs'.

• DanovitcheDanovitche Member Posts: 94

I am a Covert Imperial, Proud to be so..
    Not everyone wants a full PvP game or forced to be neutral just to have somewhat fun.

The idea on Auto-Overt is not a wise one.
    so you also interfeared in what could been a pvp match between friends...
    Not everyone wants to be PK´ed by every dang enemy in sight just for his entertainment.

Some of us who are Imperials are Crafters now
    I for once find that PvE also can be fun, Life is not only PvP

Thats my 2 cents worth, not that anyone cares what we non pvpers wish.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
    Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
    Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War