Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New TCG loot items coming in March...

2»

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Suvroc

That gold rush maybe temporarily over but I suspect there will be a resurgence when the next expansion goes live.
    And of course if that fails to resurect sales then SoE could always introduce more effective ingame loot cards ;-)

What tends to happen is that players buy Booster Packs for the purpose of selling them for in game credits.

They may buy a box or two, open a few packs and sell the Loot Cards and booster backs for many millions of credits or for more booster packs.

This seems to be how most of the loot cards appear for trade on the TCG Posted Trades. 

Some people want loot cards, some people want in game credits.  With the people using the TCG as an RMT proxy, Loot Cards are always readily available for those looking to spend dollars or SWG credits on them and avoid the whole random and expensive chance element.

That may or may not be true, but in any case it's irrelevent IMO as it doesn't reflect on your opinion of a downturn in TCG sales. Furthermore it doesn't address the potential for SoE to introduce game altering items via the TCG in order to boost sales in the event of a downturn.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

That may or may not be true, but in any case it's irrelevent IMO as it doesn't reflect on your opinion of a downturn in TCG sales. Furthermore it doesn't address the potential for SoE to introduce game altering items via the TCG in order to boost sales in the event of a downturn.

I don't think there is a real downturn in sales other than the intial shock takeup of it being something new, in that interview I linked to above Smed said "The sales data we get out of the Denver studio is just shocking. People have money to spend and they want to spend it on something cool. "

"Shocking" is an interesting choice of words, especially when describing profit.

Your concern I take it is that SoE will just pump more attractive items into the TCG to keep sales high? 

It makes business sense to do that but animosity amongst subscibers who want items to be available in the main game is high already and SoE will face significant resistance to the TCG if they dont also provide content and rewards outside the TCG.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

I don't think there is a real downturn in sales other than the intial shock takeup of it being something new, in that interview I linked to above Smed said "The sales data we get out of the Denver studio is just shocking. People have money to spend and they want to spend it on something cool. "

"Shocking" is an interesting choice of words, especially when describing profit.

Your concern I take it is that SoE will just pump more attractive items into the TCG to keep sales high? 

It makes business sense to do that but animosity amongst subscibers who want items to be available in the main game is high already and SoE will face significant resistance to the TCG if they dont also provide content and rewards outside the TCG.

After all that they have done over the years with SWG do you honestly think they care what the customers want?

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Apparently, not only does SOE not publish verified odds of winning, they are raking in more cash from people trying to figure out some kind of system.

As I said befiore, those people just have more money than sense, but then again who am I to tell them what they should or shouldn't spend their money on.

You do realize you just said the TCG system is senseless for people to spend money on right?  It isn't like there is some magic threshhold dollar amount where is changes from good sense to bad sense. 

Farming in game items to trade for boosters doesn't change the nature that someone is still spending money on them.  Neither does buying boosters to sell for in game money.  It is pure RMT scam by soe and those left in swg are so beat down they will accept just about anything at this point.  I don't mean that as an insult, but just don't know a better way to phrase it.

Is there any reason what so ever that these items are not just put in game as quest rewards or loot drops on their own?

Originally posted by Daffid011

Is there any reason what so ever that these items are not just put in game as quest rewards or loot drops on their own?

It's a rhetorical question I know but the reason is because they want the RMT. 

They want the monthly sub + the micro transaction.

--------

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Apparently, not only does SOE not publish verified odds of winning, they are raking in more cash from people trying to figure out some kind of system.

As I said befiore, those people just have more money than sense, but then again who am I to tell them what they should or shouldn't spend their money on.

The novelty of the TCG has died down a bit now and the post you linked to is rather old, the initial gold rush is over and players are finding ways to gain loot cards that are a little more sensible in the long run.

You'd said you were going to look into the 1 in 5 claim.  This seemed relevant, so I thought I'd fill you in; in case you were unaware of it.  1 in 5 does not appear to be consistently accurate, nor have I seen this officially confirmed by SOE, or anyone else.

--------

Originally posted by Valeran

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=868485
    Wow.  Sorry structure traders.

SoE doesn't do itself any favours by releasing TCG expansions without giving thought to how some SWG players will receive it.

If they released TCG expansions at the same time as SWG Chapter publishes then the combination of TCG content and SWG content would likely address the concerns of many players.

Structures and Domestic Traders are getting an update in the next Game Update, so I would expect to see a lot of new craftables then.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

SoE doesn't do itself any favours by releasing TCG expansions without giving thought to how some SWG players will receive it.

If they released TCG expansions at the same time as SWG Chapter publishes then the combination of TCG content and SWG content would likely address the concerns of many players.

Structures and Domestic Traders are getting an update in the next Game Update, so I would expect to see a lot of new craftables then.

I hope you are not holding your breath on that. It is not in $OE's money-grabbing interest to allow crafters to actually construct anything comparable to the more desirable loot items. How many new structures do you hoenstly think archs will get to build? Oh, maybe a feature that can be added to an exisiting structure, like a farmhand (only with a subcomponent that is new from doemstics). More SEA opportunities for domestics? BTW, the SEA monkey grind is not true 'crafter' content. Not really exciting and desirable.....

It has already been revealed that $OE-Austin DOES create the artwork that is shipped off to $OE-Denver to be placed ont he TCG cards. The players get Ewok wings and chocolate fountains.....the TCG loot offers two new structures, even more vehicles (keep in mind that enginners are a crippled 1/2 profession), decorations, buffs, etc. In fact, here is a link outlining the latest of what the TCG offers that is only attainable in game -

starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/tradingcardgame/lootcards/gh.vm

The O-board has been on fire with complaints and cancellations. There are no interesting quests or fun loot drops in-game for anything remotely as nice as what the TCG is churning out with frequent regularity now. There is a TCG Jet-pack collection now for crying out loud! That means there is virtually NO chance for a players to get the qualifying TCG loot cards free to get that item. What should be exciting new rewards or craftables in-game are only availalbe by cash and credits.....how 'fun' is that? The TCG is quickly becoming the new, unwanted NGE, and players are letting their displeasure known by hitting the cancel button.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

They're going to keep pushing these loot cards until enough people cancel or ask for an item store where you can just buy the loot. Then Smed will have a press release saying they listened to feedback from the players by adding the SWG item shop.

Originally posted by Kazara

I hope you are not holding your breath on that. It is not in $OE's money-grabbing interest to allow crafters to actually construct anything comparable to the more desirable loot items. How many new structures do you hoenstly think archs will get to build? Oh, maybe a feature that can be added to an exisiting structure, like a farmhand (only with a subcomponent that is new from doemstics). More SEA opportunities for domestics? BTW, the SEA monkey grind is not true 'crafter' content. Not really exciting and desirable.....
    It has already been revealed that $OE-Austin DOES create the artwork that is shipped off to $OE-Denver to be placed ont he TCG cards. The players get Ewok wings and chocolate fountains.....the TCG loot offers two new structures, even more vehicles (keep in mind that enginners are a crippled 1/2 profession), decorations, buffs, etc. In fact, here is a link outlining the latest of what the TCG offers that is only attainable in game -
    The O-board has been on fire with complaints and cancellations. There are no interesting quests or fun loot drops in-game for anything remotely as nice as what the TCG is churning out with frequent regularity now. There is a TCG Jet-pack collection now for crying out loud! That means there is virtually NO chance for a players to get the qualifying TCG loot cards free to get that item. What should be exciting new rewards or craftables in-game are only availalbe by cash and credits.....how 'fun' is that? The TCG is quickly becoming the new, unwanted NGE, and players are letting their displeasure known by hitting the cancel button.

I can't say I disagree with any part of your post, or with players who have similar concerns.

I can only suggest that players that wish to gain these rewards without spending real money take note of the suggestions I posted earlier.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

I agree with you Badger, I would expect to see a lot of new craftables then as well.  At this point a new small, medium and large house style at the very least (3 structures).  However considering the new gardens that are a part of GU8 were only done because Milbarge went the extra mile and created them himself worries me.

A lot now rests on GU9 in the eyes on many players.  The old excuses like lack of art resources and lack of development time are simply not going to cut it now. 

Originally posted by barezz

I agree with you Badger, I would expect to see a lot of new craftables then as well.  At this point a new small, medium and large house style at the very least (3 structures).  However considering the new gardens that are a part of GU8 were only done because Milbarge went the extra mile and created them himself worries me.

A lot now rests on GU9 in the eyes on many players.  The old excuses like lack of art resources and lack of development time are simply not going to cut it now. 

I hope you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

--------

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Does it really make any difference as to what type of smokescreen of diversionary tactics soe uses?  It doesn't somehow change the very nature of how this is being done or why.  They are stripping ingame content and reselling it through a card game lottery.  It doesn't matter if a few people can minimize their cost or avoid it if the content is given out through RMT sales.  

How many years have people played professions that need serious attention and have to wait for their turn in the game update que to hopefully get something?  It is almost the universal mantra of this game to talk about some future patch that should fix something. 

Now consider how much extra cash soe makes of selling items, art and developer efforts through the card game and oh my goodness, look how fast they can get that done. 

I asked earlier and will ask you again.  Can you name one valid reason why these items are not put into the game as rewards for in game accomplishments instead of being sold as after market addons? 

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Does it really make any difference as to what type of smokescreen of diversionary tactics soe uses?  It doesn't somehow change the very nature of how this is being done or why.  They are stripping ingame content and reselling it through a card game lottery.  It doesn't matter if a few people can minimize their cost or avoid it if the content is given out through RMT sales.  

How many years have people played professions that need serious attention and have to wait for their turn in the game update que to hopefully get something?  It is almost the universal mantra of this game to talk about some future patch that should fix something. 

Now consider how much extra cash soe makes of selling items, art and developer efforts through the card game and oh my goodness, look how fast they can get that done. 

I asked earlier and will ask you again.  Can you name one valid reason why these items are not put into the game as rewards for in game accomplishments instead of being sold as after market addons? 

Its like they think all thier players are stupid and drink the SOE coolaid.    I knew that the statement that no resources are being spent on TCG was a lie when they said it, and most players did also.   Well the lie has been exposed, the Devs even wrote about all the work they do for the TCG.    Why is all this work not going into live?   SOE has always double dipped,"Double Charged" and players are used to this.     Think about it this way.  Launch, we pay for the game, which funds the work for the content they couldnt finish on time, JTL, mounts, vehicles.    Content that should have been added in, and not sold in a box with a toy, Musty bunker, bike.    But hey carrots like those bring in the suckers.    Just like the TCG loot, its a marketing tool for milking cash from suckers.

This TCG is only another form of trying to double charge customers for a product they already payed for.     Badger needs to realize that the micro transaction mmos coming are only going to charge once.     SOE needs to either get rid of the 15$ a month charge which is supposed to pay for development.    Its not charge then charge again Smed.    TCG is just a crafty way to ripp off players.    

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by Kazara

I can't say I disagree with any part of your post, or with players who have similar concerns.

I can only suggest that players that wish to gain these rewards without spending real money take note of the suggestions I posted earlier.

I see the value of your suggestions, and it's good you made them I think.  At the same time it's unfortunate that someone else would have to gamble for tradeable loot in order for it to enter the ingame economy.  That is probably the most offensive aspect of this whole deal for me.  If the items you get as part of your subscription were tradeable, it would make a big difference.  As it stands, they are not; they are therefore of lesser value than those that are gambled for, and they cannot be sold for ingame money due to their "no-trade" status.   The whole system, as is, depends on players gambling real cash for tradeable loot.  People can debate the ethics or legality of this, but at the moment I'm just highlighting how it works.  People can come to their own conclusions about how player friendly this is, or not.  My opinion is well known.

The lack of honesty and integrity continues to make me scratch my head:

Elias wrote:

Purchasing packs for a TCG is not the same thing as purchasing in-game items for SWG. The TCG has loot that is one of the features of that particular game, but it is NOT the same thing as buying in-game SWG stuff.

Perhaps technically he is speaking the truth in that people are not buying ingame SWG stuff with the TCG packs...they are only buying the chance to obtain an item.

--------

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

The lack of honesty and integrity continues to make me scratch my head:
    Elias wrote:
    Purchasing packs for a TCG is not the same thing as purchasing in-game items for SWG. The TCG has loot that is one of the features of that particular game, but it is NOT the same thing as buying in-game SWG stuff.

Perhaps technically he is speaking the truth in that people are not buying ingame SWG stuff with the TCG packs...they are only buying the chance to obtain an item.

It isn't even technically true.  The loot cards have zero function in the card game.  Their sole purpose is for use in SWG.  The loot cards are there to entice people who have no interest in the card game to buy booster packs for a chance at a loot card item.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

This thread has it all... SOE screwing their playerbase(again), the fanbois rushing in to defend them, classic SWG.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

This thread has it all... SOE screwing their playerbase(again), the fanbois rushing in to defend them, classic SWG.

You forgot about the psychotic PRECioUs fans jumping in to misrepresent everything they possibly can, in an attempt to bolster their existence for another day.

Congratulations on ensuring the usual "we cant let go after 3+ yrs" response from the "restraining order waiting to happen" vet group Abe.

The SW General Discussion forum just wouldnt be the same without you, and the other 15ish vets making forum handle after forum handle to continue whining about the past all over MMORPG.com...not just inside your designated romper room err vet forum.

As far as the TCG:

I look forward to seeing the various cards my all access account will have after all this time off during my hiatus. I am unsure how many will be credited to my account, and how many I will of missed on by not being subscribed the past couple of years.

Although I have never been a dedicated SWG player, I sometimes log in for a bit to check things out.  Would be cool to have some nice random card waiting in game...and better yet if it comes from EQ or EQ2.

Not that I intend to support the item mall...but anytime they wanna hand these things down for free I will check them for a cool item to add to my various characters collection.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Define a lot.

Originally posted by Moaky07

You forgot about the psychotic PRECioUs fans jumping in to misrepresent everything they possibly can, in an attempt to bolster their existence for another day.

Congratulations on ensuring the usual "we cant let go after 3+ yrs" response from the "restraining order waiting to happen" vet group Abe.

The SW General Discussion forum just wouldnt be the same without you, and the other 15ish vets making forum handle after forum handle to continue whining about the past all over MMORPG.com...not just inside your designated romper room err vet forum.

As far as the TCG:

I look forward to seeing the various cards my all access account will have after all this time off during my hiatus. I am unsure how many will be credited to my account, and how many I will of missed on by not being subscribed the past couple of years.

Although I have never been a dedicated SWG player, I sometimes log in for a bit to check things out.  Would be cool to have some nice random card waiting in game...and better yet if it comes from EQ or EQ2.

Not that I intend to support the item mall...but anytime they wanna hand these things down for free I will check them for a cool item to add to my various characters collection.

Rather than vague inuendo please point out what was misrepresented in this thread.

--------

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

As far as the TCG:

Rather than vague inuendo please point out what was misrepresented in this thread.

The whole premise behind the TCG set up. Or anything SOE for that matter in any given thread.

SOE bought that one company out of Denver for the express purpose of this TCG stuff. It is optional, yet the social misfits of MMO gaming just gotta try to twist anything they can in order to complain about big bad SOE.

We get it...you dont like them.

We also get that you wont shut up...even after being given your own forum to whine in.

Which is all your posting is about...whining some more.

I am sorry your panties got ruffled years ago. How many years you intend to go on about it? 

Why dont you guys grow a pair, and move on already? There are several sandbox style games out/due out in the coming months. In the exact fashion of the PRECioUs? I dont know...but your niche numbers dont warrant utilizing the SW IP again. Sorry facts are facts.

Because no matter how much you wanna try to say it isnt about crying, it reads exactly as such.

And quite frankly, it is pretty sad for grown folks to be acting like crybabies after this long. For proclaiming to be "mature", the vets are easily among the most immature crowds found on MMORPG.com. As pathetic in their own right as the "pew pew l337 crowd" they attempt to catagorize all current SWG players as.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• DiviousDivious Member Posts: 37

As far as the TCG:

The whole premise behind the TCG set up. Or anything SOE for that matter in any given thread.

SOE bought that one company out of Denver for the express purpose of this TCG stuff. It is optional, yet the social misfits of MMO gaming just gotta try to twist anything they can in order to complain about big bad SOE.

We also get that you wont shut up...even after being given your own forum to whine in.

I am sorry your panties got ruffled years ago. How many years you intend to go on about it? 

Why dont you guys grow a pair, and move on already? There are several sandbox style games out/due out in the coming months. In the exact fashion of the PRECioUs? I dont know...but your niche numbers dont warrant utilizing the SW IP again. Sorry facts are facts.

Because no matter how much you wanna try to say it isnt about crying, it reads exactly as such.

And quite frankly, it is pretty sad for grown folks to be acting like crybabies after this long. For proclaiming to be "mature", the vets are easily among the most immature crowds found on MMORPG.com. As pathetic in their own right as the "pew pew l337 crowd" they attempt to catagorize all current SWG players as.

If your goin to debate a topic, in a seriuosly and mature maner try for instance:

1. Discuss the OP thread

2.Try not to attack others whit your coments

3. And before you post, try reading for a change(it helps)

anything else is considered TROLLING

As far as the TCG:

Where in your post did you discuss what was misrepresented because I just don't see it at all. 

--------