Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Quality Darkfall Ingame Pics

Comments

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

well, my favorite one there is the second one. The shaddy forest setting. Most of the pics and footage I've seen makes DF look like everything is colored with different shades of brown.

btw, those were all more than acceptable in my book. They ain't the greatest, but they look nice enough.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

dark-merlin, does this mean that you finally got an account now? If so congratulations! (I'm quite sure you didn't have an account this time yesterday, correct?).

However, the graphics are hardly impressive, still hope you have fun in-game. One funny thing we now all know of current DF-players is that they have less than 15 letters in their first name, hehe.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

You know what is awesome...

A fanboi still amping up the game that he/she can't even get access to.

I love it!

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • TraplineTrapline Member Posts: 6

I think it looks fine, if the gameplay is fun then I'd be happy with graphics like that...might pick this up in a year or so if it's going strong and they get some of the ordering issues dealt with, servers stable and maybe get bought out or helped along by someone with an eye for potential and the infastructure to make it happen.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by GundamAce

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering switching to Darkfall mainly for the graphics...
    Now before you go calling me a rabid fanboi, I'd like to point out that the only game I've found interesting enough to keep playing for any real lenght of time has been UO.
    Darkfall may not be as pretty as most of the big names released in the last three years or so, but it's far better than UO by a good margin and in beta the game felt more like the good old UO than the latest version of UO does.

I would suggest that you wait a bit. If UO was your game of choice, besides the open FFA PvP, Darkfall doesn't offer much in terms of an RPG.

It's possible that in a few months, when more features are added, the game will become a UO fanboi's dream. However, right now it's pretty much an FPS with terrible animations and some RPG elements.

not sure how far back in UO that gundamace is referring; but um...

UO had/has:

-player housing, which is completely customizable

-many different types of mounts

-pets up to some of the dragons

-not only a huge amount of craftables, but many ways to make various magical items (and enhance them).

-treasure hunting (both land and sea)

-different types of ores, hides, and wood for harvesting (can't remember if the different types of wood made it to the normal UO servers)

-fishing, fishing in boats, fishing which brought up sunken treasure and sea monsters

-growing plants + crossbreeding of said plants, along with rare versions

- order vs chaos and, later on, factions (not sure if any of these are still in play)

darkfall has all of this?  ALL that UO needs to regain a number of subs, is to get modern movement (wasd and arrow keys) and a 3d client, and possibly some rollback servers (to different expansions).

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Actually you can move with the arrow keys in UO. However the UI needs a complete rehaul to make it modern (which I'm sure would upset the more loyal playerbase though).

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

um these graphics aren't much higher than that of DAoC

Pretty much, I agree.

Originally posted by dark-merlin

Originally posted by pineapples

wow this is innovative... if it was 2003.

you cant troll me son, i'm a vet!

LOL but im your daddy....luke....

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I have no love for this game, but the graphics could be much worse. Yeah, it's no AoC, but still. That being said, the animations, sound effects, UI and just about every thing else about this game are far below par, including the dev team.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by Grunties

Im not crazy about the first one but the others seem pretty top notch. I would rate them better than WAR and slightly worse (but close) to AoC's, though with the added benefit that you can actually freely navigate through the environment, rather than follow a defined path. So all things considered I think it comes out better.

Your on crack, or some cheap paint thinner. Pick a better brand next time. WAR had much better graphics then this. The level of detail and the scope of it was singular in any MMO ive played. Granted it was MOTS after a point, but I have never ever played a MMO that was so true to its iconic roots as WAR was in respect to graphics. I spent quite a bit of time marveling at the detail in the game.

That is however in no way a endorsement of WARs gameplay. Thats another issue entirely.

Once again Mythic sucked anus.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Darkfall is so hardcore it creates its own graphics and tells Tasos how much it loves him when he boots it up.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Kordesh

I have no love for this game, but the graphics could be much worse. Yeah, it's no AoC, but still. That being said, the animations, sound effects, UI and just about every thing else about this game are far below par, including the dev team.

I know I'm late on this, but I loaded up shadowbane to see what all the nostalgic hype was about. Gah, no WASD movement, horrid camara positions, and chunky UI. Even for the time it was released the Controls and graphics were dated. If you guys loved that game then and didn't bash the game for the problem it had, then I can't see why you aren't giving DFO at least a chance. 

For comparison sake FFXI was released a year before in Japan and 8 months after Shadowbane in the states.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

One of my big problems when I was beta testing was constantly spotting seams in the graphics, holes and slits you can see right through but shouldn't. I reported them whenever I spotted them but for a "handcrafted" world there were a lot of them. Anyways, to the point, spotted a seam on this shot of the human, other then the seam the graphics in the shots aren't horrible and not everyone can spot seams so easily, being someone that messes with 3D and is constantly checking his own work for them it has become a second nature.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

This website fails to amaze me. First, we have something like Age of Conan. Sure, it had a crappy release, but now apparently it's in a very playable state. If you're all looking for pretty graphics, why aren't you off playing that?

Then we have Darkfall, which may have crappy graphics, but gameplay that many seem to enjoy. Yet people will come here time and again making it their life goal to bash the game for its graphics. WTF do people want? Why the hell are graphics so important? Is it your inability to use an ounce of imagination or what? Because hell, if you think any game looks realistic you need to get your eyes checked.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I am not a fan of DF but for a team of guys that built a game engine from scratch, it looks ok. But they used too much fogging (see screen #5) IMO.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Lydon

This website fails to amaze me. First, we have something like Age of Conan. Sure, it had a crappy release, but now apparently it's in a very playable state. If you're all looking for pretty graphics, why aren't you off playing that?

Then we have Darkfall, which may have crappy graphics, but gameplay that many seem to enjoy. Yet people will come here time and again making it their life goal to bash the game for its graphics. WTF do people want? Why the hell are graphics so important? Is it your inability to use an ounce of imagination or what? Because hell, if you think any game looks realistic you need to get your eyes checked.

Apparently it is also important to the people who actually like the graphics and create topics like "HQ ingame pics".

It goes both ways, graphics are not only important to the people who bash the game. They are also important to the people who like the game.

I think the DF graphics are okay, especialy if you consider how this game was made. They didn't purchase a proven engine but decided to make one themselves. Considering that, it turned out good enough.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'm personally not a huge Darkfall fan, but as long as everything isn't blocks in-game then I don't see what the problem with the graphics is. Gameplay > > > > graphics. 

I don't think the fact that they build their own game engine is anything wonderful though. ArenaNet built Guild Wars' engine, for example...

• dembardembar Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by GundamAce

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering switching to Darkfall mainly for the graphics...
    Now before you go calling me a rabid fanboi, I'd like to point out that the only game I've found interesting enough to keep playing for any real lenght of time has been UO.
    Darkfall may not be as pretty as most of the big names released in the last three years or so, but it's far better than UO by a good margin and in beta the game felt more like the good old UO than the latest version of UO does.

I would suggest that you wait a bit. If UO was your game of choice, besides the open FFA PvP, Darkfall doesn't offer much in terms of an RPG.

It's possible that in a few months, when more features are added, the game will become a UO fanboi's dream. However, right now it's pretty much an FPS with terrible animations and some RPG elements.

not sure how far back in UO that gundamace is referring; but um...

UO had/has:

-player housing, which is completely customizable

no housing sadly

-many different types of mounts.

you got 5 diffirent mounts in df and in uo more mounts then brown grey and a mare was not released until the game was atleast 5 years old

-pets up to some of the dragons

all kill is no skill so pets are out in uo was never pvp focused dfo is

-not only a huge amount of craftables, but many ways to make various magical items (and enhance them).

you can do this in df. you can make weapons,armor,normal clothing and jewelry and enhance them with magic abilities, But we are only 1 week of playing i dont know of any people that can do this but the skills are there to buy and train.

-treasure hunting (both land and sea)

this was cool but sea was atleaqst added after i left uo so after 5 years if it was in at all.

But you do have some kind of treasure hunting because you can find key's of chests and you need to find them in df

-different types of ores, hides, and wood for harvesting (can't remember if the different types of wood made it to the normal UO servers)

you got difirent types of ore in dfo, and again if they ever added more kinds of wood it was after 5 years.

-fishing, fishing in boats, fishing which brought up sunken treasure and sea monsters

fishing is in not sure if you can fish on boats dont own one yet, and there are sea monsters wich you can run into.

-growing plants + crossbreeding of said plants, along with rare versions

this again entered uo after 5 years orso

- order vs chaos and, later on, factions (not sure if any of these are still in play)

you have some sort of factions system and this game is more pvp orientaded you need to defend your hamlet/city and or take one from a other clan if you want one or if you want more then one clan/city. hamlets and city's also give you acces to materials so they are highly wanted by guilds.

darkfall has all of this?  ALL that UO needs to regain a number of subs, is to get modern movement (wasd and arrow keys) and a 3d client, and possibly some rollback servers (to different expansions).

dfo got lots of potential and like all other mmo's it needs to grow. al i can say is this that dfo gives me the adrenaline that i never again experinced after uo. wow was for a great game because of the large Battles against bosses. wich give me some trill the first few times we killed them, but after that it became gear grinding to kill them. you can do this in darkfall the monsters are there but even after the 20e time you killed him you still need to watch your back so that you dont get pked or killed by other factions. the potential is there, it needs to grow like all other mmo's are doing.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Having seen the graphics 1st hand I can say that IMO they are indeed quite nice. Infact the some of the landscapes that I have seen look better than VGSoH. The character animations are a bit stiff, but again I found the VGSoH characters to be really quite bad.

WAR? It's a slightly different colour pallette and art style, but I actually prefer Darkfall over WAR in the art department. 

One thing that did impress me was the mount animation, this game actually makes mounts look believable when they move, the ones I have seen running around atleast. VGSoH's mounts looked good, but were stiff, WAR's weren't too bad, WoW's are pretty good.

Lighting is very nice indeed, with some wonderful shadowing.

Just my PERSONAL opinion that I am sharing with you.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by xpiher

High quality crap is still crap
    Not that I'm saying the game is crap, but the Graphics are medicore at best. I like the landscape though.

To me some of  these shots don't look like max settings.

Here is a max settings video, the world in movement looks gorgeous to me.

www.youtube.com/watch  (don't forget to click on HQ for better quality)

• robertbrobertb Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Originally posted by nikoliath 
    One thing that did impress me was the mount animation, this game actually makes mounts look believable when they move, the ones I have seen running around atleast. 

You are right about this. I was watch some player galluping through the newb goblin spawns and klling them, while I was mining some ore nearby.

I was impressed with the movement of the mounts. The character animation is not done any where near as well, imo. 

• veritasallveritasall Member UncommonPosts: 153

Eh? If the gameplay delivers and the graphics are satisfactory I don't see the problem here. Graphics can always be improved, but the core game you're stuck with. AoC *cough*

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

mount animations are decent, just that. When compared to character animations, they are significantly better.

Give the animator a bonus to his salary each month.

And take the  money  from whoever decided to put horns to the horses.

• SkuddSkudd Member Posts: 129

Looks like a poor mans Oblivion. But the screens will always look bad as compared to seeing the real thing in action. From an artistic design perspective WAR, LOTRO, Vanguard look alot better. Still its definately not bad. The second pic is my fave from the bunch. 

Now if they would only make the character's animation smoother. From most of the videos on the web, they look like they are running with sticks up their butts.

"It is my opinion, that my opinions are always right"

• VorretVorret Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Grunties

Im not crazy about the first one but the others seem pretty top notch. I would rate them better than WAR and slightly worse (but close) to AoC's, though with the added benefit that you can actually freely navigate through the environment, rather than follow a defined path. So all things considered I think it comes out better.

Thanks for pointing out your complete lack of knowledge regarding gfx in a game.