Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best game made in the last 10 years.

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

The PvE experience I have had is great.. and to be honest it is what I have primarily been doing. Its much better than UO ever was, It reminds me a lot more of AC (ofcourse its different with twitch combat)

Anyway, Its much more enjoyable for me personally than any contemporary WoW like game.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by junzo316

Originally posted by strongaxe

Originally posted by mrcalhou

So, from your point of view, how bad is the hacking yet? I was all for this game up until I saw the speedhack and read about how easy it is for darkfall to be hacked. I hope that can be fixed, but my knowledge of programming is so infintismally small, that I don't know what I should think at this point about it. (Aside from the fanbois screaming how awesome it is, the haters blasting away at ANYTHING and Raiizen talking about how ps1 the graphics are).

I have never seen anyone speed hacking. Someone in my clan got reported for speed hacking to a GM(he was not, he just killed 2 players and they cried) and a GM showed up to talk to him not 5 minutes later. They said are you speedhacking yadda yadda yadda, he said no, and they checked the logs to confirm.

So they seem to be on top of it.

I doubt they are on top of it, or else it would be getting fixed.  Hacking in any game is bad, but in a game that has FFA PVP, its even worse.

Highlighted for ease of reading! They also told him that if they check the logs and he was speed hacking he was going to get banned.

I don't consider that "fixing" the problem.  The game is getting hacked.  Fix the client.  Thought this was obvious from my post.

Every MMO is "hacked". Its what they decide to do about it.

You're looking for any reason to hate on the game. Its strange.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

So, from your point of view, how bad is the hacking yet? I was all for this game up until I saw the speedhack and read about how easy it is for darkfall to be hacked. I hope that can be fixed, but my knowledge of programming is so infintismally small, that I don't know what I should think at this point about it. (Aside from the fanbois screaming how awesome it is, the haters blasting away at ANYTHING and Raiizen talking about how ps1 the graphics are).

I have never seen anyone speed hacking. Someone in my clan got reported for speed hacking to a GM(he was not, he just killed 2 players and they cried) and a GM showed up to talk to him not 5 minutes later. They said are you speedhacking yadda yadda yadda, he said no, and they checked the logs to confirm.

I doubt they are on top of it, or else it would be getting fixed.  Hacking in any game is bad, but in a game that has FFA PVP, its even worse.

Highlighted for ease of reading! They also told him that if they check the logs and he was speed hacking he was going to get banned.

I don't consider that "fixing" the problem.  The game is getting hacked.  Fix the client.  Thought this was obvious from my post.

They are clearly on top of the problem. You cannot really argue with that.

Ummm, yes I can.  If they were on top of this problem, then this hack wouldn't exist..  Case closed.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by termsy

Every MMO is "hacked". Its what they decide to do about it.

You're looking for any reason to hate on the game. Its strange.

I think that''s an over generalization.  Every MMO hasn't been hacked.

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810
    Originally posted by EndDream

[..]
    You can say that the devs are rude, arrogant, and have no understanding of business and I would agree with you. What they do have is an immense passion to create a game that they wanted to play. 
    [..]

Sorry but I aint giving any business which I find rude and arrogant. Also I'd like to point out that arrogant is key in NOT listening... so when DF hits the rocks don't expect Lord Tasos to be the on which saves you all. In fact everything surround this game has been an series of disasters. All AV do is lumber from one embarassing incident to another. Failed release dates, failed promises on features, broken gameplay, copy and paste skills, failed launches (well redefinition of the word launch) and finally the macro'ing / speed hack drama of the coming week or so.

The only reason why Df gets such interest is because :

• People dont seem to think there are any other free aim MMO out there . ( I believe some others have been mentioned)
    • Some cries of cut the poor "indie" developers some slack
    • Some DF fans are so shoved up there own behind they don't realise there are plenty of other MMO in development. ( IN fact quite a few have already defected to MO )
    • The obsession with finding the latest cutting edge combat, despite the fact DF videos look painful to watch in terms of fluidity and interesting combat moves.
    • The seeming lack of MMO players that play decent FPS games or are unknowledgable about them
    • The insanity of its developers and its fanbots is total popcorn

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I wasn't sure about DF at first, then I was convinced it was going to be vaporware, so I stopped tracking it.

Then I managed to get an account at launch and played for a few days. I was starting to think the game was not for me (I still play UO on Seige Perilous), but Saturday DF and I just clicked. Now I'm hooked.

If you are the type of person who needs handholding when you start a game, or expect fairness in every aspect, you should go play something else. Some of the questions I've heard:

Q: What's the point of getting cool armor if its too risky to wear?

My Answer? This isn't Barbie dress-up. You've got WoW for that.

Q: You'll never get anywhere. Newbies will be killed every time they log in.

My Answer? OK, then use your brain and figure out how to survive. It's not that hard, really.

Q: What's the point of working to aquire <insert your favorite item here> just to have it looted from you when you die?

My Answer? The point is you will have to take better care of it. Don't carry it around if you don't absolutely need it and make sure you know what is going on around you in case you need to run like hell, if need be.

The only issue I have with DF right now is that I think PK consequences should fit into the game better. For example, I like the way Requiem handles PK. You get PK points every time you kill a player and until you "work them off", you cannot group with other players, belong to a guild, among other minor inconvinences. Like DF, you can kill a rogue player with no penalties. Trust me, that deters a lot of people from running around mindlessly killing. You have to put some though into who you are killing and why. Besides the fact that the really good loot can only be obtained through mobs that require a group to kill. When you are flagged "murderer" in that game, you really do feel like an outcast.

Anyway, as a recent convert, I'm having the time of my life! Go DF!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by TowlieFTW

DEFINITLY not.  There are many games 15x better than darkfall.

Then you might enlighten me!

Im in desperate need of a good MMO to play. I have been searching since the NGE hit SWG in late 2005. And still i have only found Darkfall thats good enough. And im very sensitive when looking, i dont play crappy games as WoW for example.

So please name one MMO that is 15 times better then Darkfall and i will subscribe to it right now!

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Would love to play. When is it going to release?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by orlac

2010 i think.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by daarco

Im in desperate need of a good MMO to play. I have been searching since the NGE hit SWG in late 2005. And still i have only found Darkfall thats good enough. And im very sensitive when looking, i dont play crappy games as WoW for example.

So please name one MMO that is 15 times better then Darkfall and i will subscribe to it right now!

Maybe he's referring to games of any genre, not only MMORPGs. I personally did not understand if the OP was talking about all other games in the MMORPG genre, or all games released in a decade (truckloads of titles for a comparison eh).

Originally posted by orlac

Check the official forums for when Aventurine will be releasing more copies, it will be on an almost daily basis.

(I'm aware this is bait, just answering for those who really need to know)

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Not bait at all. I want to play....

Originally posted by Routver

Maybe he's referring to games of any genre, not only MMORPGs. I personally did not understand if the OP was talking about all other games in the MMORPG genre, or all games released in a decade (truckloads of titles for a comparison eh).

I was refering to games of all genres, and I play all genres, but I believe than MMORPGS have the potential to be better than any other genre if done correctly, I have always believed that, so its not hard for an amazing MMORPG like Darkfall to be better than an amazing RTS like Starcraft or an amazing shooter like Gears of War 2 in my opinion

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Define better.

Content?  I can find that easy.  I'm sure everyone can. 

Quality PvP?  That really becomes more subjective to setting than to the actual PvP.  I mean, if you hate space...then trying to say EVE is great is pointless.

Graphics?  Not even gonna touch that, because we've already got too MANY pretty games out.  Just saying, its a qualifying factor in defining "better" in the literal sense.

Large and solid community?  Tough one, WoW has 15x larger...and CoH easily has 15x better.  But neither meet in the middle on that one...so if darkfall could eventually fall into that medium, it could stand solid against it.

Fun?  The most fun I've ever had in an MMO has been confined to a single quest....in a F2P game.  The platforming quests in Perfect World rocked my socks off.  Second to that, PvP I rolled with in WoW.  I know we all say we hate WoW and all....but the game is large.  Having tons of players meant having tons more PvP, at least on PvP servers.  I liked it, and its the first game to really show me how much of a PVPer I was.  

But Fun is always subjective.  Therefore, it cannot be quantified.  Or, rather, it CAN be...but only on a personal level, and that can never be something which is shared.

However

I'm betting we could all find a game with 15x the polish.

So DF is going to have a solid 2 out of 5 factors.  We have yet to see if it can score on the other 3.  We can almost assuredly KNOW that it will fail on at least one of them (graphics), and that it will likely fail on another (community), given its limited appeal. 

Still

3 out of 5 aint bad if they manage it.  In fact, 3 out of 5 is an average 3 factors more than most MMO's manage.  So go ahead and feel good about Darkfall.

My advice, though.....

Don't be surprised when the initial excitement ends and you feel a little...meh.

PvP games tend not to have the staying power until their communities begin to flesh them out and establish them.  Until that happens....the game is gonna be little more than a Full loot WoW BG. 

Just saying.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by singsofdeath

Originally posted by EndDream

So give it a try.. you will likely be happy you did.

I really wish I could.

tasos did promise up we could try it before we buy it!

oh wait...

• norton905norton905 Member Posts: 61

well if you want that then play runescape....

the only thing bad is the graphics, and its not full loot anymore..... for the killer

• Mr_HandMr_Hand Member Posts: 185

Honestly, you need to get out more!  How many different games have you bought and played in the last 15 years..?

MMORPG? FPS?

Darkfall sucks and is nothing more than gang warfare with baseball bats & Stone throwing. I get the whole "adrenaline rush" thingy when your heart is pounding, but that is only because of the predicament your in, not because of how good Darkfall combat is... 

Go challenge youself in quality gameplay in something like Battlefield 2142 and play as a sqaud against other clans. Same rush, no monthy fee...

Originally posted by Mr_Hand

Honestly, you need to get out more!  How many different games have you bought and played in the last 15 years..?
    MMORPG? FPS?
    Darkfall sucks and is nothing more than gang warfare with baseball bats & Stone throwing. I get the whole "adrenaline rush" thingy when your heart is pounding, but that is only because of the predicament your in, not because of how good Darkfall combat is... 
    Go challenge youself in quality gameplay in something like Battlefield 2142 and play as a sqaud against other clans. Same rush, no monthy fee...

I havent played 2142, but I played 1942 and battlefield vietnam extensivly... and I respectfully disagree

• BekkrBekkr Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

Just saying.

And saying it well.  I agree with that assessment pretty much 100%.

|The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it. -Salvador Dali|

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I'm happy that you are happy OP.  Until I get a NA server though, can't say I agree or disagree with you.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

This is actually disturbing.  They are not on top of it.  Why would they not check the logs first before confronting the accused.  If they can confirm his innocence from logs alone, the visit to the player is a very very bad move.  If I am the boss these GMs will be fired right away.  Accusing a player without proof and going back to confirm otherwise from the logs alone is about the most stupid thing on earth.  Its like the police knocking at my door (interrupting gameplay) and accusing me of being a thief, only to go back to the surveillance camera recording to found that the burglar is someone else.

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

OP must have missed out on PlanetSide circa early 2004.  Anyone who was there knows that was the high point in MMO gaming, period.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653

Best game? You must be joking...go to the official DFO forums and tell me how many threads there are about DF's greatness? Seems the official forums are swamped with people who ... cant stay logged in, DISCO dancing anyone? Or are complaining about hacks...yep, best game ever.

Hope you are having fun! LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllllllZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

DF as a game isnt  bad, in fact its still in beta as far as im concerned, it lacks polish and needs some serious patching and re-evaluation on the many exploitive functions of the game, but its still amazing in its own right. DF might very well evolve from a flawed masterpiece to a perfect one over time. The biggest issue however concerns the people in charge of the game, they have absolutely no business sense and pretty much cannot be relied upon. They very well could continue to kill the game with their own stubborness/ignorance regarding how to treat and maintain a mmorpg. In a sense, they are too similar to funcom.

I recommend to all players, dont buy Darkfall... dont be a lab rat testing out an unfinished problematic product. Let it sit forawhile, and watch its progress. If it starts looking safe, jump right in, but this is one of those mmorpgs where being there at the beginning is more harmful than joining later, much later, if its still alive, which i think it will be.

I was in beta, and knew they game wasnt ready for release, but they released it anyways in the form of a pay to play closed beta in which only X number of people could get in. This is how they stress test the server.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    DF as a game isnt  bad, in fact its still in beta as far as im concerned, it lacks polish and needs some serious patching and re-evaluation on the many exploitive functions of the game, but its still amazing in its own right. DF might very well evolve from a flawed masterpiece to a perfect one over time. The biggest issue however concerns the people in charge of the game, they have absolutely no business sense and pretty much cannot be relied upon. They very well could continue to kill the game with their own stubborness/ignorance regarding how to treat and maintain a mmorpg. In a sense, they are too similar to funcom.
    I recommend to all players, dont buy Darkfall... dont be a lab rat testing out an unfinished problematic product. Let it sit forawhile, and watch its progress. If it starts looking safe, jump right in, but this is one of those mmorpgs where being there at the beginning is more harmful than joining later, much later, if its still alive, which i think it will be.
    I was in beta, and knew they game wasnt ready for release, but they released it anyways in the form of a pay to play closed beta in which only X number of people could get in. This is how they stress test the server.

Hm looks like you couldn't buy it and got upset a bit?