Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss this game

HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

I only wish Funcom had not screwed it up so badly.  This is still the best MMO in terms of class variety, depth & mechanics. 

I got into it back in 2003 early 2004.  This was my first MMO and as my first toon I picked agent.  I actually got him up high, after quickly learning how to play the game & making money (sneaking mission for Caters).  Shadowlands xpac turned me off.  I was enjoying the original game and had no interest in fantasy crap.  Shadowlands was grinding Hecklers, that's all.  And lots of running.  I quit MMOs for a while shortly after that.  Then my friend got me to play WoW.  That game felt so easy after AO, it's unbelievable.  After a year, I tried AO again.  The population definitely took a dive.  Went back to WoW since my friend played, last about 1.5 years till that failed WotLK xpac, playing WAR now (great game btw).

I still miss AO and my original experience.  I was addicted.  I'm considering coming back but reading the posts here make me discouraged.  Seems like population is at rock bottom and numerous expansions made the game worse.  I still remember when Trade Chat was very ative and the economy was alive.  Cities were packed with players looking to group.  Tower battles were going on.

Is the game still worth playing, at all?

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Comments

• maxfliermaxflier Member Posts: 38

I like how you "had no interest in fantsy crap", but left to go play WOW for 1.5 years.

This game is definitely still worth playing.

Dirk "Maxflier" Pitt
    215/30 Agent

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I miss the old times playing AO as well...If they redo the character models I'll definately re-open my account.

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

Don't listen to Max. He's a froob.

Anyway, AO is still worth playing. Alot of my friends play WOW also. I have tried the game when it was open beta but I could not take the graphics, simplicity and easy to obtain loot.

I've been playing Anarchy Online off and on since 2001. I do agree FC has screwed up a little bit. Instead of coming out with higher level content they should have focused on their graphics engine. This would have brought new blood to the game. Instead they relied on their froob program to accomplish this. Also, they decided to work on AoC instead of AO. Granted, work has been done but not enough and what work that has been done was accomplished at a snales pace. FunCom should have stuck with a good proven game instead of hyping a game that may or may not be a success. Is it me or does it seems like FC has kicked AO and its vet players to the curb? I will always feel that AoC got AO's new graphics engine.

/rant off

• maxfliermaxflier Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by ANDRIOD

Dirk "Maxflier" Pitt
    215/30 Agent

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by maxflier

I like how you "had no interest in fantsy crap", but left to go play WOW for 1.5 years.

This game is definitely still worth playing.

My best friend started up WoW again, he & I raised a lot of ruckus in the game.  Besides, AO is the sci-fi MMO, there really isnt anything else.  You get used to the fantasy genre nway.

I play WAR now.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by ANDRIOD

Anyway, AO is still worth playing. Alot of my friends play WOW also. I have tried the game when it was open beta but I could not take the graphics, simplicity and easy to obtain loot.

I've been playing Anarchy Online off and on since 2001. I do agree FC has screwed up a little bit. Instead of coming out with higher level content they should have focused on their graphics engine. This would have brought new blood to the game. Instead they relied on their froob program to accomplish this. Also, they decided to work on AoC instead of AO. Granted, work has been done but not enough and what work that has been done was accomplished at a snales pace. FunCom should have stuck with a good proven game instead of hyping a game that may or may not be a success. Is it me or does it seems like FC has kicked AO and its vet players to the curb? I will always feel that AoC got AO's new graphics engine.
    /rant off

What is the population really like now?  Are the cities deserted?

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

The subscriber base has been steady for about 4 years now.  They keep adding content, though, and everyone gets stretched all over the place.  There's enough content now to choke a herd of horses.  OA/Bor/Newland have good crowds, Omni cities less (drab decor there anyway).  Whenever you think everyone else might be asleep, go try to camp some valuable mob in a forgotten corner of the planet or the Shadowlands, and you'll find dead bodies from the other ppl camping them...

~\_/~\_O

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I am with you 100 % Hydroblunt.  I played AO from the start and suffered through the dismal start.   When Shadowlands came out I thought, what are they smoking ?

I quit soon thereafter.  To me SL was as bad as SWG's NGE.  It really screwed the game. (IMHO)

I wish they had kept with the original game and not turned it into EQ ver 1.5.