Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game really micro-transaction?

If this game is micro-transaction, then this game has no need for all this hype its getting. Whats the point of having little rich kids buy the best gear and beat the average person everytime? The Devs should change this. If they don't, I will laugh at the game and never even play the free-trial..

Comments

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Rocitello did announce that, but quickly after he made that statement they receded it. So, the business model has not been announced. But thats all anyone needed to start talking about it. Some feel that its a for sure thing. Some think that its not possbile and some just will wait to see. No matter what your stance is on MicroTransactions, we still do not have an idea if SWTOR will implement that. But someone on here is going to make a compelling argument. They will play the role of lawyer using logic and reasons for the announcement but..... Just remember that they receded it and they have not announced it. So that tells me its could be a MicroTransaction or it might not.  Wait and see game is going to be played a lot with SWTOR.....

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

no official announcement on billing has been made yet. i am remaining optomistic it will be p2p

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by jayparm221

If this game is micro-transaction, then this game has no need for all this hype its getting. Whats the point of having little rich kids buy the best gear and beat the average person everytime? The Devs should change this. If they don't, I will laugh at the game and never even play the free-trial..

RMT is an emotional issue, but I've played a few games were RMT worked rather well.  If the studio keeps RMT to mainly vanity items, then I really have no issue. 

You could make an equal argument about 'no-life basement dwellers' having all the best gear, etc. 

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by miagisan

no official announcement on billing has been made yet. i am remaining optomistic it will be p2p

Not me, I hope they use the GW model for TOR. You can’t tell me there are comparatively more tards playing Guild Wars then are playing WoW or any other game. WoW does offer it's own version of MT, with paid services BTW. Plus there are over 5 million people playing it (GW). High population games add more diversity in types of players anyways. If I can pick up the box say for $59 and play for free, have the option to buy minor fluff items, content and expansion packs, I’ll be happy. TBH what is your $14.99 buying you these days? You still pay for expansions, and content updates in most games are fewer then you would expect. You still have to deal with the noobs, bugs, game chances, imbalances ect.  Some people say MT ruins the game, but I say...um it's a game, not real life. People talking about their college finals in the cantina is more imersion breaking then game items being purchased outside the game for me.

I don’t have as much time to game as I used to back in the pre-cu SWG days, and I feel like I’m not getting as good of deal when I subscribe because I can rarely play my monies worth. You can say, how is fair that people can just go purchase fluff items you had to work for? But the other side of the argument could be how is it fair that people with no jobs no family and no life have more time to grind to get the best gear, best loot then me? I’m not saying things should be given to you, but if people are willing to pay for things so they can actually enjoy the game rather than worrying character maintenance or about how they’re gonna get another swoop, why not make it an option? A game shouldn’t feel like a second job. If people want the option to earn it, then so be it, let them earn it. There should be choices, I may choose to earn most of my gear, but I don’t think I should have to waste money paying time I don’t use and be limited to just grind grind grind for items I need.

I honestly believe this will make the game more accessible. When SWG first launched I read on forums how disappointed people were that it was subscription based, just like the KOTOR fans are saying now. They would be more apt to try it if all they needed to buy was a box. Put that on top of some solo personal quests and you may just win over a few hundred thousand more fans.

Besides the average MT consumer is a loner, they don’t like playing much with other people so let them be. Sure there are the people who want an edge, but they would have that edge whether they had to work for it or not, because they are the competitive type.

I'm not trying to influence you in any way, it's just something to think about instead of jumping on the whole "MT is bad" bandwagon. I was there once as well, but then I thought really hard about the pros and cons of F2P vs my current lifestyle and came to a different conclusion about it.

Most of the people on the fence over it will eventually try it anyways. If it is MT you will have nothing more to lose than playing the average MMO or single player RPG for a month. If the game is as good and as fun as they say it is, it will sell itself and may even put GW to shame. If it isn't, then nothing would have saved it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I think it depends on how much stuff the game will require you to buy in order to advance. If it's say one or two items per 10 levels that's one thing. But if it becomes every piece of gear you can possibly have,then it becomes fleecing. We'll never really know until we try it out.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Whether its official or not SW:TOR will have a form of MT. Either Bioware or the one the illegal gold farmers and power levelers set up.

I see no difference between people buying illegal gold then buying items or people buying items directly off off the developers in-game.

There are people who WILL pay for these services illegally or not and we have to realise they are here to stay now and i can see why developers are wanting a piece of the action (and i'd rather the money being spent went to them then the gold spammers because for all we know some of these companies could have links to organised crime).

Its sad to see but times change and i sure do miss the old days when people were playing for fun for the most part.

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

I agree with Tillamook, but its about making money. Even if it was subscription, I'm assuming you're interested enough in this game for you to pay whatever price they do set. Concerning micro-transactions, it can be argued both ways like anything, but personally I think it should be limited to "special" items (e.g. pets etc); seriously all these f2p games with micro-transactions are horrible; I haven't found one that is worth playing. Anyway I hope that TOR will deliver something original as they said they would focus more on storyline rather than traditional types of mmo.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Micro-transactions ain't the demonic taint that people like to paint them as. Hell, even WoW has 'em now.

If they're put in place correctly and limited to fluff items that don't affect game balance then I have absolutely no problem with having MTs in any game I play. I can't say I've ever felt gimped/disadvantaged on the basis that I wouldn't pay real money for a transparent cat to ride.

Dismissing what promises to be a very interesting MMO purely on the basis that it might include MTs in some way, shape or form .. well, that's a premature decision imo.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Rocitello did announce that, but quickly after he made that statement they receded it. So, the business model has not been announced. But thats all anyone needed to start talking about it. Some feel that its a for sure thing. Some think that its not possbile and some just will wait to see. No matter what your stance is on MicroTransactions, we still do not have an idea if SWTOR will implement that. But someone on here is going to make a compelling argument. They will play the role of lawyer using logic and reasons for the announcement but..... Just remember that they receded it and they have not announced it. So that tells me its could be a MicroTransaction or it might not.  Wait and see game is going to be played a lot with SWTOR.....

The EA PR pukes also downplayed Mr. Riccitiello's comments basically confirming the existence of the KOTOR MMO when he made them, too.  The naysayers said it wasn't an official confirmation "because it wasn't on the EA website".  LOL how much more official can you get than the company CEO saying something?

You can bank on at the time the statement was made, they were planning on some sort of MT for this game.  Maybe they have changed their mind, or maybe we'll have a hybrid of the standard monthly fee + MT for fluff extras.  I doubt they're going to be dumb enough to let people buy IWIN stuff with MT.  I'll wait and see how it will work before saying MT is a deal breaker.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Originally posted by Proximo521

The EA PR pukes also downplayed Mr. Riccitiello's comments basically confirming the existence of the KOTOR MMO when he made them, too.  The naysayers said it wasn't an official confirmation "because it wasn't on the EA website".  LOL how much more official can you get than the company CEO saying something?

I guess this comes down to your interpretation of an Announcement then. I dont know about you but I like official announcements. Not someone saying something and everyone at his own company trying to say they havent officially announced the business model. That does not sound official to me. Sounds like maybe he was generally stating that about all EA games. Or maybe he was really drunk and the reporters didnt know that he was referring to his hooker...... 

The whole reason for me posting that was to inform the OP, that they have not decided that yet. Which they havent. But I was stating that someone will make the case, which you have and try to convince people that it will be without an official announcment. Here is a great example of an official announcement. Take it for what it is, but I havent seen an article from Bioware that looks like this and stating Business model has been released.

First Issue of Threat of Peace Released

Check out the first issue of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ online comic, Threat of Peace™. Dark Horse has joined forces with LucasArts and BioWare™ to create a new comic series, published online, to introduce fans to The Old Republic. The comic features action-packed, character-driven episodes written by BioWare’s Rob Chestney and published by Dark Horse.

War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire has gripped the galaxy for decades, but the sacking of Coruscant and a subsequent peace treaty are changing everything. As the Republic scrambles to re-establish order, the Sith Empire moves quickly to consolidate power within its new dominion. Behind closed doors, however, individual Sith Lords engage in a quiet but deadly power struggle, and discord breaks out among the Jedi as they wrestle with the moral implications of the new galactic balance. During these chaotic days, the stories of several critical characters interweave as they pursue their passions, stand up for their convictions, and ultimately lead the galaxy back to the brink of a catastrophic conflict.

Issues of the comic will be released twice a month. Stay tuned and follow the storyline to its dramatic conclusion which sets the stage for the players’ entrance into the game. Read the first issue of Threat of Peace now!

http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20090227_001

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Yes- 

Originally posted by Lateris

Yes- 

Ladies and Gentleman! Mr Ricitello! See he plays Eve!

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by miagisan

Not me, I hope they use the GW model for TOR. You can’t tell me there are comparatively more tards playing Guild Wars then are playing WoW or any other game. WoW does offer it's own version of MT, with paid services BTW. Plus there are over 5 million people playing it (GW). High population games add more diversity in types of players anyways. If I can pick up the box say for $59 and play for free, have the option to buy minor fluff items, content and expansion packs, I’ll be happy. TBH what is your $14.99 buying you these days? You still pay for expansions, and content updates in most games are fewer then you would expect. You still have to deal with the noobs, bugs, game chances, imbalances ect.  Some people say MT ruins the game, but I say...um it's a game, not real life. People talking about their college finals in the cantina is more imersion breaking then game items being purchased outside the game for me.

I don’t have as much time to game as I used to back in the pre-cu SWG days, and I feel like I’m not getting as good of deal when I subscribe because I can rarely play my monies worth. You can say, how is fair that people can just go purchase fluff items you had to work for? But the other side of the argument could be how is it fair that people with no jobs no family and no life have more time to grind to get the best gear, best loot then me? I’m not saying things should be given to you, but if people are willing to pay for things so they can actually enjoy the game rather than worrying character maintenance or about how they’re gonna get another swoop, why not make it an option? A game shouldn’t feel like a second job. If people want the option to earn it, then so be it, let them earn it. There should be choices, I may choose to earn most of my gear, but I don’t think I should have to waste money paying time I don’t use and be limited to just grind grind grind for items I need.

I honestly believe this will make the game more accessible. When SWG first launched I read on forums how disappointed people were that it was subscription based, just like the KOTOR fans are saying now. They would be more apt to try it if all they needed to buy was a box. Put that on top of some solo personal quests and you may just win over a few hundred thousand more fans.

Besides the average MT consumer is a loner, they don’t like playing much with other people so let them be. Sure there are the people who want an edge, but they would have that edge whether they had to work for it or not, because they are the competitive type.

I'm not trying to influence you in any way, it's just something to think about instead of jumping on the whole "MT is bad" bandwagon. I was there once as well, but then I thought really hard about the pros and cons of F2P vs my current lifestyle and came to a different conclusion about it.

Most of the people on the fence over it will eventually try it anyways. If it is MT you will have nothing more to lose than playing the average MMO or single player RPG for a month. If the game is as good and as fun as they say it is, it will sell itself and may even put GW to shame. If it isn't, then nothing would have saved it.

Guild Wars aside, most games with RMT is pretty grindy to the point that people feel the need to buy things from the store. If Bioware has a micro transaction business formula, you better believe they will do something to the game that makes people want to spend money on it. So you might as well have a flat subscription fee to even the playing field. Sure, some people have more time to play than others, but I'd rather be underpowered compared to the basement dweller and have a relatively normal gameplay experience, rather than be able to buy my way through the game and have a grindy subpar gameplay experience, because that's the only way to convince people to spend money.

I mean think about it logically. Bioware has to make money somehow and if they make the game perfectly playable with it being free, what's going to convince enough people to spend money on micro transactions to keep Bioware profitable?

I do agree with your stance though, but I believe that only works in the ideal gaming situation and this isn't an ideal world. I'm not against RMT or micro transactions; only the type of gameplay that comes with that sort of business model.

Originally posted by IcoGames

RMT is an emotional issue, but I've played a few games were RMT worked rather well.  If the studio keeps RMT to mainly vanity items, then I really have no issue. 

You could make an equal argument about 'no-life basement dwellers' having all the best gear, etc. 

RMT = Real Money Trading. That's different than Micro Transactions. Example of micro transaction is paying $5 to access a new zone, whereas RMT is buying game money with real money. I think you're referring to stores, which is another good example of micro transactions, but don't confuse that with RMT. They are two totally different things.

Originally posted by Mykell

Whether its official or not SW:TOR will have a form of MT. Either Bioware or the one the illegal gold farmers and power levelers set up.
    I see no difference between people buying illegal gold then buying items or people buying items directly off off the developers in-game.
    There are people who WILL pay for these services illegally or not and we have to realise they are here to stay now and i can see why developers are wanting a piece of the action (and i'd rather the money being spent went to them then the gold spammers because for all we know some of these companies could have links to organised crime).
    Its sad to see but times change and i sure do miss the old days when people were playing for fun for the most part.

RMT = Real Money Trading. That's different than Micro Transactions. Example of micro transaction is paying $5 to access a new zone, whereas RMT is buying game money with real money.

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by nate1980

RMT = Real Money Trading. That's different than Micro Transactions. Example of micro transaction is paying $5 to access a new zone, whereas RMT is buying game money with real money.

Lol I'm sure that'll play over well..."Hey folks, we just finished polishing off the ice caves of Hoth and we're really proud of it.  You will be able to even get the exclusive highly recognizable mount!  ....*shifty eyes* buuuut fiiiiirst...*waggles hand like a doorman expecting a tip*".

Heh, even EQ2 wised up to that stuff.  People don't want to pay 5$ for a new zone.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member Posts: 58

If there is micro transactions, I won't be playing.

I'm fine paying 15 bucks a month and 50 bucks every two years for a huge expansion. And thats it. You try nickel and diming me you get nothing.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

If it is then it's up to Pc gamers to stand together and not buy games that support the micro payment model. Leave that for P3 PSN and Xbox 360 live, leave it out of Pc exclusives! Micro payments era is going to be a bland era for Pc gaming. The quicker we exclusive Pc gamers talk with our wallets the quicker we can send a message to Pc game developers not to travel down this uncreative uninnovative route for gaming.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

I can afford a few bucks for a new zone but for principle sake.... I will not!!

Vote NO to micro-T.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

If this game has ANY form of micro transactions for in game items, even for fluff then I will not touch this game.

We need to make a stand now or we will be on a slippery slope to disaster.

just say NO!!!! to MTs

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Vortigon

If this game has ANY form of micro transactions for in game items, even for fluff then I will not touch this game.
    just say NO!!!! to MTs

IMO, you are too late, and future games will all have some form of micro-transactions, as its another revenue stream that most games w/o WOW's numbers will find very appealing. (and even Blizzard is exploring it).

Yeah, you don't have to play, but they know there's enough folk who will.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by Kyleran

just say NO!!!! to MTs

IMO, you are too late, and future games will all have some form of micro-transactions, as its another revenue stream that most games w/o WOW's numbers will find very appealing. (and even Blizzard is exploring it).

Really blizzard has already went there. I think TCG loot cards work kinda like RMT, its just a diffrent form.

Originally posted by TsukieU

Originally posted by nate1980

Lol I'm sure that'll play over well..."Hey folks, we just finished polishing off the ice caves of Hoth and we're really proud of it.  You will be able to even get the exclusive highly recognizable mount!  ....*shifty eyes* buuuut fiiiiirst...*waggles hand like a doorman expecting a tip*".

Heh, even EQ2 wised up to that stuff.  People don't want to pay 5$ for a new zone.

Well, think about it before you knock it. Assume you aren't paying a monthly fee. You're telling me you wouldn't pay a few dollars to get access to new content? Let's assume they are of the size of SOE's adventure packs. I always thought SOE was greedy to charge money for content updates, because they were already getting $15/mo. If a company isn't getting that $15/mo, why would it be unreasonable to pay a few bucks for a new zone or content. Let's also assume the new zone is of Bioware quality, not some sham that SOE would create.

All I'm saying is that I'm open to the idea. Bioware has made some spectacular games in the past and has earned my benefit of the doubt. I'll at least hear their proposal before shutting the door on them.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by HDomni

Originally posted by Kyleran

just say NO!!!! to MTs

Really blizzard has already went there. I think TCG loot cards work kinda like RMT, its just a diffrent form.

yes cuz fluffy mount ( from already nearly 150 you can attain in game, or fluffy food bag, or some new non combat pet.. effects game )   its a way to promote, theirs card games.. yes you get chance for random item.. which is either mount, non combat pet, some other item, costume orwhatnot.. nothing that effects playing at all , noone got killed by spectral tiger yet.. but that new light saber for 15.99 might kill.. so its not the same.