Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay ... !! Something is wrong with the picture here !! - mmorpg.com user ratings!??

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Okay, I know I checked out this website and saw a few of the same ol' games scores and average ratings just earlier today. Now Everquest 2 has ratings since todays release, (well yesterdays since its after midnight now very early am nov 10) and EQ2 has an astonishing 8.5 average review with most people saying how awesome it is, and it probably would be even higher except for for the knuckle-heads putting like all 1's and saying something like "Trash" or "sucks" 1 word reviews, lol.. so they likely haven't even played or are just trashing it 'cuz they are mad they can't play it with their mommies 6 year old computer hehe.

But the problem now is "why" is like every other game like .5 a point lower then what they all were just eight hours ago?? DAoC was an 8.2 just eight hrs ago, now a 7.7... Asherons Call was 8.1 now a 7.6, Saga of Ryzom was a 8.0, now it's a 7.5.. even EQ(1) was an 8.2 and now much lower and this goes for like EVERY single game on the released list with some games like DAoC for example that have a foundation of over 1,500 ratings before today. I'm not going jump to any conclusions but uhhh... Something is wrong here people...

Just an observation.

- Zaxx

Comments

• radlinradlin Member Posts: 266
    You are right. I have to say that Everquest 2 is atleast deserving of the rating it has now which is an 8.7.  But i was a long time guest and also noticed how the same day EQ2 came out, all the other games average ratings dropped substantially. It sure seems like there is a mistake here. I looked at Dark Age of Camelot like you said, and with more then 1,500 ratings giving it a 8.2 yesterday, they would have to have like hundreds of new ratings in a single day much much lower to take it down to a 7.6 now. And the same with every other game out there? All of them got hundreds of new ratings to drop them all by about the same amount? Way too coincidental to believe. Someone somewhere is manually changing the average scores of all the other games except EQ2 to make EQ2 stand out more and be that much higher then everything else!  Has to be. Are we sure that this website isn't supported by Sony Online Entertainment? lol.

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749
    I'd dial 911 if I were you.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    911 is outdated now. You need to call Rescue 90210

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by radlin
    You are right. I have to say that Everquest 2 is atleast deserving of the rating it has now which is an 8.7.  But i was a long time guest and also noticed how the same day EQ2 came out, all the other games average ratings dropped substantially. It sure seems like there is a mistake here. I looked at Dark Age of Camelot like you said, and with more then 1,500 ratings giving it a 8.2 yesterday, they would have to have like hundreds of new ratings in a single day much much lower to take it down to a 7.6 now. And the same with every other game out there? All of them got hundreds of new ratings to drop them all by about the same amount? Way too coincidental to believe. Someone somewhere is manually changing the average scores of all the other games except EQ2 to make EQ2 stand out more and be that much higher then everything else!  Has to be. Are we sure that this website isn't supported by Sony Online Entertainment? lol.

For sure.  The coincidence just seems way too odd.  I know I have been logging in to this sight a lot as I have been waiting for all the new parts to my new computer to come in thru UPS.  I know that I logged into mmorpg at work last night on break about 7pm or so my time and Asherons Call 1, DAoC, EQ(1), Saga of Ryzom, and many others were all rated at like an 8.2 cuz me and a friend at work were looking at the scores.  The reason I logged in was to show him the hype on D&D online. 

Anyhow, when I got home I again logged in (about 12:30am or so mountain time, my time) and everquest finally had ratings, and all the ratings from its development were gone and it had went up to an 8.5!  Okay, that's cool, I can certainly understand that.  I can also understand possibly one or two other games going down from 8.2 in that time of only a few hours to maybe the high 7's, say a 7.9 or 7.8...  But for like 12 or 15 games that were at an 8.0, 8.1, or 8.2 to ALL go down by .5 or .6 in less then 6 hours seems very, very odd.  And you are right, just for one game, DAoC to drop from an 8.2 to a 7.6 in a few hours would mean that it would literally have to have hundreds of new ratings with a lot of really low ratings to drop so much!  It had a HUGE foundation of over 1,500 ratings putting it at a pretty solid 8.2.  And the same with ALL the other released games???  And all with in a short time frame last night when EQ2's ratings first hit the boards????  Extremely odd. 

Heh, Oh well, I still plan on buying EQ2 now to see what all the hype is about!  I just hope it lives up to all the hype it is getting on these boards!  ;)

- See ya in the game.

- Zaxx

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

In relation to the other post on this topic, here are a bunch of people who all say that the ratings dropped .5 for all the other games in the space of 8 hours.

Good job MMORPG.com, you just lost all respectability in the eyes of a lot of people.

A lot of people had suspected this type of thing for some time.

Goodbye respectability.

Waiting for WoW, will play until something with new gameplay arrives

"The philosophy of a corporate entity umbrellas all activities. Obviously, SOE has a flawed way of doing business."
    -Crabby, MMORPG Boards

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

What you are seeing is the "curve" that we have.  If you look back this same thing happened when CoH went live.  Let me explain the math behind our curve.  First let me highlight some points:

1) The curve only ADDS to a games real score.
    2) Before the curve all games fell in the 3-6 range - it was really boring!
    3) All this curve does is "zoom in" on the scores in the positive direction
    4) What caused the recent surge is that EQII is getting a "natural" score far higher than other games (as is common during a release).
    5) All the games that you say "went down" actually are still showing a score higher than the actual score determined by the average of the votes.
    6) We only curve the released games, not the hypes as they don't seem to need this to see a good range.

Now for the math:

1) The system looks at all the games natural scores and finds the very highest score.  Let's assume these are the natural scores for the top 5 games (Example only):

1. EverQuest II   = 7.0
    2. DAoC = 6.6
    3. Anarchy Online = 6.4
    4. EVE Online = 6.3
    5. City of Heroes = 6.2 

In this list, EQII would be the highest score with a 7.0.

2) It now takes that high score and finds the number that lies between it and a perfect 10.  This is 7+((10-7)/2) = which is 8.5.

3) Now it determines what you would have to multiply 7 by to reach 8.5.  This is found by 8.5/7 = which is roughly 1.2142.  THIS IS THE CURVE.

4) Now the system multiplies all scores on the list by this value.  Note that this will ALWAYS be a positive result for the game.  The updated list would look like this:

1. EverQuest II   = 7.0 = CURVED:8.5
    2. DAoC = 6.6 = CURVED:8.0
    3. Anarchy Online = 6.4 = CURVED: 7.7
    4. EVE Online = 6.3 = CURVED: 7.6
    5. City of Heroes = 6.2  = CURVED: 7.5

If you look this over you will see the impact if you have a list of natural scores in the top 10 going from 6.0 to 6.2 (which is about what they were) - then a game comes along that earns a natural score of 7.2 (like EQII).  Then the curve dissolves...but in truth what you are seeing is closer to the real scores users made for these games...

Please post any questions...

We would NEVER fudge the scores at the site.  In fact, if a respectable company would like to audit our scores and system I would welcome it.  We added this curve because about 1.5 years ago the members found it boring that all the scores ranged from 3 to 6...the natural solution was to just "zoom" in on this to magnify the slight differences between the scores.  If we removed the curve right now you would have even a bigger gap between EQII and the next game down.

Also, my money says that you will see this happen when WoW releases and you will see the EQII score settle down as players play the game longer...this happens with all of our major listings after a release.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

This site sells it's rateings.

Always has.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Well, you are entitled to think whatever you want.  All I can do is try to assure you that we don't allow game companies to manipulate our ratings or our official reviews (and for starters no game company has ever even approached us on this).  I have always made a point to let game companies know that purchasing ads before a review will not help their score and that my writers could care less (in fact my writers don't have a clue what is going on with the advertising - they just write what they feel).

Why would you think we would sell this as a service?  Don't you think that EVENTUALLY someone would leak that we do this?  Would we risk the whole site over this?  No.  We do just fine selling advertising and don't need to resort to shady practices like you accuse us of for revenue. 

If I was all about money you would be looking at pop-up ads, and spam in your mailbox - both things I have been offered large sums of money for.  Believe it or not we care about our members a great deal and recognize that they are how we have gotten this far.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

::::08::

Heres to Admin, and to MMORPG.com ::::20::

Thanks for the great site, and the awsome services, and the contests dont hurt either ::::24::

• jimhusjimhus Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Xira

This site sells it's rateings.
    Always has.

Shessh Xira!!

You can't possibly know that unless you wrote the rating system or they attempted to solicit money from you for a better game rating.

If you bothered to think about it - you'd know it wasn't true.

Do you really believe every company on the list pays MMORPG this 'bribe' money? If not - certainly the companies that refused to pay would have mentioned it (publicly, website, report it as extortion).

Get a grip.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Yes, thanks for explaining how the ratings of all the games dropped Admin.

Also, thank you for such an awesome site to go to for mmo news, forums, ratings, polls, screenshots, links, chat, and all that you provide. 

It is great to have such a "free" site without all the annoying pop-up windows and spam.  I truly appreciate that you have refused the offers for spam and pop-ups.  I don't mind the current advertising in the least bit, it's the annoying pop-ups that are a real pain in the arse.

Again, thanks!!

image   - Zaxx

• HeartlandHeartland Member Posts: 103

Do you really believe every company on the list pays MMORPG this 'bribe' money? If not - certainly the companies that refused to pay would have mentioned it (publicly, website, report it as extortion).

Plus, how in the seven fiery circles of whatever underworld you prefer, would a smalltime, newly started Icelandic company like CCP (Eve Online, high ratings) ever outpay say SOE (Star Wars Galaxies, lower ratings)?

Does not compute - case dismissed!