Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE is basically a waiting game.. all puns intended.

pineapplespineapples Member Posts: 84

I just upgraded my trial to subscribed, though hesitantly, and struggle to realize what there is to do. I made a miner, in the hopes to work a fortune-maker who could later fund maybe a PVP character.. but in the meantime there is almost nothing to do. I'm waiting constantly on training new abilities so I can get a bigger and more profitable ship.. but im about 2 days away from that and going back and forth with my frigate is both boring but pointless too (I don't have anything to spend the ISK on..)   The battle missions are boring and seem to just repeat themselves infinitely.. so can someone please tell me what the objective of the game is? Maybe give me some options?

Comments

• wileornwileorn Member Posts: 9

Recently did the same thing you did.  And had pretty much the same experience.  Did a trial and then paid for it and now I sit wondering what to do.  Plenty of ISK.

I both love and hate the skill system in EVE.  I like that you cant do ANYTHING until you have the proper skill.  I hate that you have to wait to get the skill, and then it comes complete.  It scales but that requires more waiting.

I have heard from other players, that EVE has the best endgame content of any game they ever played, and the more involved you become, the more involved it gets.  Its not a game for those that want to get in and get dirty right now.  Its a slow build game where the rewards are hopefully worth the wait.

Eve is obviously successful, but not really my thing.  Even though Im pretty patient, the thought of having to look at the same few screens my entire EVE career just seemed boring to me, regardless of what you were doing in those same screens.  But I know many people LOVE the game and have been at it years.  Few games hold my interest for that long.  So stick with it and perhaps youll get bit.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

If you have isk to burn and nothing to do then try out factional warfare and learn to PvP.  I'm sure you'll have plenty to spend all that excess isk on, not to mention the fact that you'll likely have a blast!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Eschiava

If you have isk to burn and nothing to do then try out factional warfare and learn to PvP.  I'm sure you'll have plenty to spend all that excess isk on, not to mention the fact that you'll likely have a blast!

Mining in a frigate isn't bad, If i were you I would train into a hauler with a couple tech II Expanded cargos and Jet can mine.

Basically find a not so populated system and fill a jettison can to the full capacity of your hauler then quickly come back and take it away.

Once you have enough ore use your hauler and trade your ore to the best system with highest Buy orders.

So instead of being a newbie miner you just became a small time hauler and a trader also.

If you want to mine in .5-.8 sec to deal with rats you can train into Cruisers and fit them with shield defense and drones (something you will need when you finally get into a hulk).

Believe me there is always something to spend isk on. Hell you could even get into the crafting side with all those materials and for your hauler you could train science and grab tractor beams and salvager rays so you can maximize your profits when your combat drones kill rats for you.

So lets go over what you could do other then just go back and forth can mining being bored to death.

1) Jet can mine (makes mining more profittable and exciting)

2) train into hauler so you can haul your cans away and become a small time trader

3) Train into a Mining cruiser and build up shield and drone defense to make rat infested high sec available to you.

4) Train up science for tractor beams and salvager Rays that would go on your hauler to maximize profits from rats and quicker hauling.

5) Go even further with your trader by taking contracts and maybe get into Blockade runners later on.

6) use some of the Ore, broken down fittings and salvage and start a side career in production or invention.

7) Run mining and courier missions for standing (higher standing the better the Refine % in that particular station), you also get good rewards to sell on the market.

8) Use all that cash you have and buy +4 attribute implants for speedy training

9)since you trained frigates buy a tech I frig and do combat missions for fun (level 1)

Guys I can seriously go on forever but I don't feel like writing a novel atm.

Read up on indy professions, mining isnt just shooting a rock, you can get into Gas and Ice mining and you could train into indy captial ships and be a foreman.

Edit: I forgot the best part!!!!!! get your ass in a indy corp and run mining Ops, you get to mine in a group and share profits and have someone to talk to so you not playing a solo game.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

join a corp in 00 space always space to defende or corp mining OP to do or you will find people in the corp to help get mins to build stuff for the corp

if you can't solo in this game by that i mean find your own fun go get in a corp there full of people willing to help you do stuff

• BarbitBarbit Member Posts: 40

I got a 21 day trial at EVE 1 year ago, I joined a BrandNewb starter corp with 7 people, I became recuritement Officer and 1 month later we had 50+

For another month we bonded and helped each other out all while training skills, Then... I will say, X industries got a little jealous of our mining ops I guess, a corp In the same system as us in Empire, they can fliped us a few times.

It all built up to a stand off with us at around 10 ships them at 5 maybee, but much more experianced, like twice as much, and to my surprise 1 of my corp friends shoots lol.. I guess this is what started the roller coaster ride of WAR and Rumers of WAR, 50 mill a month >.<

well anyway we got some Major victories like a Megathorn and a assult ship,but then decided to move to Providence, We were enjoying ourselves in empire but it was getting costley and our mining ops got ambushed everytime, Tho they never achived much other than to slow are mining down and they alomst always lost more to us than they destroyed but from the Mega kill they had revenge in there eyes, it clouded there judgement.

EVE is a sandbox game, You make your own fun.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Starting as a miner was probably the wrong thing.  In the beginning, it's easier to do combat missions and to use those to fund your miner/manufacturer.  -Later-, it becomes viable to use your crafter to fund your combat character.

Plus, you'd probably be having a lot more fun actually running combat missions with other people (ie, join a corp), or with PvPing in small groups, than you would just mining all the time.  Then, once you start to understand more of the mechanics, and start doing some really high-end missions (which can get VERY challenging), you can use those to fully fund a crafter/researcher or whatever your choice is, and really get that character going.

• BeltamkorBeltamkor Member Posts: 37

Typical problem with people who haven't played a sandbox before. As someone already mentioned, you have to find your own fun in EVE, it won't be presented to you.

There is no storyline, there are no instances, there are no battlegrounds. But, there are missions with storylines, there are exploration sites with nice bosses at the end with juicy loot, there are targets out there who will fight you. You just have to go out and find these yourself.

A good way of getting into the game is, in my opinion, spending least amount of time possible in starter NPC corp and finding a good player-run corp. Player corps in eve usually have goals, tasks, fleets, that will keep you occupied and will give you the content you are looking for.

There are some nice starter pvp  corps out there. EvE-university is probably the most famous one. They train new players for EvE pvp, etc. If you want to join a pirate corp, there are also trainer pirate corps, that will get your yarr going. (we have players in our corp that are 1 month old with a security status of -10 and 100 kills) Another simple way of finding pvp is joining a faction warfare corp, lots of small scale pvp in FW.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

End of the day you will be waiting months to train the things you want to do and if you don't like waiting then EVE isn't your game. It isn't like SWG's skill system where you grind XP to unlock new skills and that keeps you busy. In EVE you will be sitting around bored for a long time at the start.

Learning skills don't help and need to go.

THis is what I don't get what they're tyring to do with the new player experience because all they've done is taken away all the skills and told you to train them yourself and you also have to buy them to........... like this just means you'll be waiting even more. Atleast now I can get in a Rifter straight away but now I'm gonna have to wait even longer.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I played the trial and was in the same boat as you.  As for sandbox with no storyline, that's wrong.  There are several sandbox games i've played that had even a little storlyline to it, not random quests that are exactly the same as the last one you just got finished with.  I must be missing something, but sitting around for hours to learn new skills isn't my idea of fun.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

End of the day you will be waiting months to train the things you want to do and if you don't like waiting then EVE isn't your game. It isn't like SWG's skill system where you grind XP to unlock new skills and that keeps you busy. In EVE you will be sitting around bored for a long time at the start.

THis is what I don't get what they're tyring to do with the new player experience because all they've done is taken away all the skills and told you to train them yourself and you also have to buy them to........... like this just means you'll be waiting even more. Atleast now I can get in a Rifter straight away but now I'm gonna have to wait even longer.

What do you guys do? sit in a station waiting to be fully fit Tech II in a battleship?

Some people are truely amazing, no wonder CCP is redoing the Npe.

the god damn wow mentality of "bigger means better" kills any chance that you guys will have fun at all.

Lose that way of thinking get your ass in a frigate and join FW and pew pew.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Yessiree!  Using Beltamkor's example, 100 PvP kills the first month of play sounds pretty boring all right.  And his example isn't really unusual either.  New players in my corp are having similar successes.

In EVE, it's not about how many SP you have, it's about what you do with the SP you already have.