Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quad vs Core 2 Extreme

DrahxDrahx Member Posts: 84

I've been out of the loop for a little while, have the Quad core CPU's surpassed the Core 2 Extreme yet?

and if so, what price point of Quad core is required.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

yes.  A while ago.

Intel Extreme grade processors only add a minor benefit for a huge price tag.  Taking a dated intel extreme processor, most modern processors will outperform it.  Minimum needed quad core to beat a Core 2 Duo Extreme costs $180.

• DrahxDrahx Member Posts: 84

Thx,

Would the I7 be best for gaming?

Money is not an issue.

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

+1

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Drahx

Thx,
    Would the I7 be best for gaming?
    Money is not an issue.

its only one , if you aiming at high performance/resoliution gaming..

so ye. if someone is building new gaming pc.. leaving i7 out of configuration would be biggest mistake

just read some reviews.. i7 outperforms everything by such big margin its scary

Gaming isn't a CPU dependant application.  So it wouldnt be best considering you would just be throwing away money on it.  Also the older Core 2 architecture performs better in most games considering its high L2 cache.  However, it won't perform as well in newer multi-core based games as the i7.  Probably the best quad to get right now is the Phenom II 940 on an AM2+ motherboard considering it has the architecture for future games while being cheaper and performing above almost all the Core 2 Quad CPUs.  Its platform also consumes less wattage.

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

It all depends on the game. All game engines have different capabilities when it comes to multiple cores.

Assuming the game does not support them very well and max out at 1 or 2 cores, this is where the Extreme CPU's shine. Most modern games support at least 2 cores. Further then that is completely dependant on the engine. If it only supports 2, then the Extremes would probably be better then an I7.

If it supports more then 2, I7's are your best bet - they beat the Quads pretty much on all fronts except price.

Honestly right now, considering I7's are pretty expensive due to how new they are, I would probably just get a low-to-mid range Duo Core, just to tide you over until the I7's are a better price.

I am on a E6750 Duo Core with a 8800GT, and there is really nothing that my PC can not support. So I would go for a similar system considering it is very cheap right now. Even if you have no pieces in your current computer to put in to the new one, you could get an entire system for slightly more then the I7 CPU alone, plus you will need a motherboard and ram to match the I7, which are pretty hefty prices as well.

Once you run in to a game that you CANT run, then go for the I7's - they will be a much nicer price by then and between both systems you will spend less money then if you bought an I7 right now, and there will be better I7's out by then, so less money spent + better system in the end = better deal

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Gaming isn't a CPU dependant application.

Properly coded games aren't :) But if your GPU is FAIL then sometimes the CPU picks up the slack and games with memory leaks etc. will give your CPU a run for its money.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I've looked at the i7 but am going for a phenom II with an AM3 motherboard instead. In my opinion AMD offers just as much for less cash, with better architecture. Since GPUs have become so important now I'd rather get that AMD core and use the extra cash for a better GPU. This is all coming from a guy that in the past thought anyone that purchased an AMD chip was wasting cash.

I feel that with the phenom II BE chips AMD is offering excellent performance alongside the better price they always have. Along with the latest ATI or Nvidia card I feel it's the best option. Although things are so close with the two competitors now there is so little in it performance (Intel still ahead though), I feel the price is factoring in alot more for me especially during these hard times.

Also don't forget AMD is the company that kept Intel honest. Withouth AMD we'd all be using Pentium II 800mhz chips that cost £500 a piece!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

I wuv www.google.com

Here is a good review of how well a Over clocked Phenom II x4 processor runs.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-ii-x4-920-overclocking_8.html#sect0

And here is a review that lets you see how an over clocked core i7 and a Phenom II x4 runs

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-8.html

Hope it helps you in the jungel of hardware. If money isnt an issue I would go for an core i7 Extreme. That processor will be a beast for many years. But it will cost you some limbs.

Edit; so the core i7 (the version most pepole use) isnt out performing everything on the earth atm. Its just a really good processor. 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Gaming isn't a CPU dependant application. 

That simply isn't true. There's a whole lot more that goes into playing a video game than just graphical processing, and a lot of it has to go through the CPU first.

If money isn't an option like this guy says, then he's probably going to be doing a multi-GPU setup, which means he needs a powerful processor anyways.

Edit: As the Tom's Hardware review above shows, even the most powerful processors on the market overclocked are limiting the GPU in some applications.

-

There is nothing coming out for the next 2 years that will push a computers limits beyond Crysis.  So why bother, instead getting a better HDD array and more memory.  Getting the Core i7 right now is really just flagrance, especially at the premium its sold at.

There is nothing coming out for the next 2 years that will push a computers limits beyond Crysis.  So why bother, instead getting a better HDD array and more memory.  Getting the Core i7 right now is really just flagrance, especially at the premium its sold at.

Possibly because a 'better HDD array' would at best just improve loading times, and more memory wouldn't really offer a performance upgrade unless you're already using all of what you've got, which I'm certainly not with 4GB.

If you're building a top of the line computer right now and not getting a Corei7, you're a bit foolish at the very least.

At any rate, you've alreayd stated that gaming isn't processor oriented, so I know I shouldn't take what you say seriously.

-

The CPU is doing alot forhow well your compture will handle newer games. If you have an old grumpy dual core processor and are trying to setup an sli/xfire the processor will lower your general gameing experince. I

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

If you wanted to spend money for the sake of spending money.  You can dump $16000 into a computer.  It doesn't mean it will have an impact on gameplay.

Its already been shown that Crysis on its absolute maximum settings can be played on a Athlon or Core 2 Duo using an HD4870x2.  Why spend the extra money on a gaming rig when it won't be used now or in a couple years?  As an actual system, I don't think the Core i7 has an application it excells in.  The Core 2 still outperforms the Core i7 in games because games are not designed with that particular architecture in mind.  In workstations there is no Xeon derivative for the nahelhiem core making opterons the ideal choice.  The only real application for the Core i7 right now is encoding on single processor machines.

Just like your argument about is more memory useful also applies to the Core i7, is more processing power needed?  Even getting a Core i7 as investing into future would be pointless since you can get a system now that can play all games on maximum settings and have enough money to buy a new system in the future designed on the LGA1366 socket.  There is just no need to invest money on the premium the Core i7 is sold at.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

If I were to build a new PC, I would with not hessitate buying a Core i7.

Not only because it's the future, but I could use that extra power when unrar'ing files etc...

Plus Triple Channel memory... Oh yeah, 6 or 12gb DDR3 is just going to own in triple channel.

Perfect setup would be:

Core i7 Extreme CPU
    X58 motherboard - Doesn't matter really, but you might want to get one which support triple SLi if you are that eager to spend money.
    3x nVidia 295GTX
    12gb DDR3 (2 sets of Corsair 6gb kits or something)
    2x Intel X25E 64gb (The new improved version of the X25M)

That's a $6500 system roughly give or take

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

You're spending $6500 to unrar files?

• DrahxDrahx Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by noquarter

I would, but I have the money to burn :-)

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

I'm guessing you are not much into piracy.

But yeah, the overall improvement of the Core i7, makes it the number one choice.

If you plan to buy a computer... JUST to play on it, then you may not want to use the money on a Core i7, at this moment.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in this one because I recently purchased and built a new comp under a budget that can out preform any game on the market atm.

I'm going to say it right now the best bang for the buck is the AMD Phenom II x4 940. On an AM3 Pro Board this monster hauls ass, with the feature of the pro motherboard you can real-time overclock/underclock your pc with a click on a button.

In my eyes it is the best you can get, I don't believe in Intel's architecture but that's just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth. Maybe I'll post some screenshots if you are interested.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

I take my resentment for the Core i7 back.  I didn't notice in the last week that the Core i7 920 dropped in price from $600 to below $300.  At that price there is no reason to even get a Core 2 based CPU.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I take my resentment for the Core i7 back.  I didn't notice in the last week that the Core i7 920 dropped in price from $600 to below $300.  At that price there is no reason to even get a Core 2 based CPU.

At that price my only question is how long before the lga 775 socket becomes obsolete and will new motherboard sockets be backward compatable?

Because I wouldn't want to buy a CPU like that and then find I can't upgrade the motherboard in a years time, that's why I'm buying a phenom II with a AM3 socket motherboard.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Orca

I'm guessing you are not much into piracy.

But you're spending $6500 on a machine to unrar files so you don't have to spend $60 on the software instead  =)

I know I'm making absurd points but it's funny =)

Nah. I spend my cash on a really expensive dvd player :p

The Corei7s have been below $300 for months. Edit: Except for the hilariously overpriced 'Extreme' edition that Intel always offers.

Remember, you're not just buying a new CPU, you're also buying a motherboard that supports the newest socket type and the ability to use Triple Channel DDR3 memory.

-

• MMORPG4lifeMMORPG4life Member Posts: 1

to me,

the quad core is way better.

i use the I7

yes i know i payed a lot for it but still, im a big gamer, i make games, and im getting a job with blizzard(hopefully)

i suggest a quad core over core 2 extreme

I play WoW
    3 80's
    6 70+
    19, 29 , 39, 49, 60 twinks
    3 tier 3 60's prebc only