Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this worth trying?

Hey guys. I'm currently a City of Heroes player and I was reading through mmorpg.com and saw that this game was pretty high in ratings. Is this worth quitting CoH? And do you need a powerful computer to run it on minimum quality graphics or does it not run well? Thanks.

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I was also a CoH/CoV player as well jayparm221.

I would'nt quit CoH if your still having fun in that game though, DAoC is a pretty old game but it has had many facelifts along the way to 2009. I would'nt make a CoH vs DAoC comparison though, both games are pretty different from one another (Super Heroes/Villians vs a Fanatasy Base Game). DAoC still has the element style of old mmorpg and there is a learning curve as well. Quest are pretty hard to decipher, but you feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish even a newbie quest in DAoC.

Back in the days of EQ vs DAoC, EQ was more centralized around PvE where as DAoC was around RvR (Realm vs Realm) Player vs Player. Veterans that been playing this game since launch swear that DAoC simply kicked ass during its prime. If you played Warhammer Online, I would say that game is more simplified than coming into DAoC.

If your looking to get into RvR, this game does have it. However the population is'nt as plentiful as before. I am not here to put a sour taste in your mouth about DAoC, but I just dont want to see you go into this game with high expectations and see tons of peeps running all around.

I recently subbed back in a month ago and having a blast relearning this game, then my 2 other friends decided to join me since we were pretty much burnt out on the NEW MMORPG's that are out there. DAoC feels to us like a MMO world should be, Big and lots to do.

If you decide to play though, make sure you pickup the 10 Day trial. Shoot me a PM if your looking for peeps to play with in game. This game is fun when you got people playing with you.

Goodluck though in your adventures!

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Yes and the population is pretty solid at the moment because WAR was a let down. you should read the VN DAOC boards though because its like the unofficial forums :) only for DAOC Id still come here to read about other stuff :)

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Well if you do not have a C64 you can play DAOC xD

The game is REALLY good in every category, but there is one thing you might hate: the controls. If you have started playing with 2nd generation MMOs like WoW, GW, CoV/CoH etc. you might be confused. The controls are not very smooth and seem crappy at some times, but if you learn to handle that, you will certainly have fun.

(I would not recommend WAR, because the classes are fu**ing boting, in fact there are just 3^^)

• NythiousNythious Member Posts: 32

CoH has that wicked ragdoll physics.  

I played for hours just to kick people into buildings or slam them over things.  Ragdoll physics = WIN.

When a medieval/fantasy game gets released where you can shield bash someone into a wall. . . I'm stuck for life. 

Gaming is serious business.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Nythious

When a medieval/fantasy game gets released where you can shield bash someone into a wall. . . I'm stuck for life. 

That would be something for sure.  I'd like for the weapons to actually impact the person you're fighting with realistic effects.  You could have them skip off a shield when blocked or get stuck in it... it would be great.  Maybe one day....

As for trying DAoC, I'm teetering on the edge right now debating if I want to come back and play my toons again.  Quite the predicament I have here.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

CoX and DAoC are the best and fondest memory of my gaming life, added SWG and EQ1 and that is about all that I cherish.

CoX is fun, the graphics and customisation is simply superb, you have fast movement, once you get travelling, and everyone do.  Superjump ... .  None of these you have in DAoC.  You might find this a serious let down.

DAoC however has its own attractiveness.  It has very deep class and skill customisation.  The avatar does not look good, and you find walking very slow.  But each avatar carries along a very fancy skill/talent customisation, and there are loots, real loots unlike CoX.  The missions are more real than the newspaper whatever quest from CoX.  RvR was once the best part of the game, but with very little population left, you need to be in an active server to really find enuf ppl to start a fight.  I suggest the classic server trio.

If you've never been in fantasy RPG, DAoC is fun to try out.  WoW has far more varieties, updated graphics and vastly more population, sure.  But the magic of DAoC will never fade, not for those of us who were there before ToA, when DAoC was the best RvR then, or best ever.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

I liked DAoC when I played it.

Its at least 2 years since I played DaOC.  Being an older game it is relatively bug free and does not need a powerful computer. From memory CoH made my old computer work a lot harder than DAoC did.

The developers were continuing to update the interface, so that it did not get too dated, and changes were made so that it would also run on Vista systems.

I liked CoH more than DAoC.  I never played DAoC in its heyday as I was an Everquest devotee at that time.