Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

seasoned PvPer here..whats the next big thing?

AoC is getting better,but i highly doubt fast enough to save from the fire

Warhammer is all a RvR game should NOT be, its more like an 90% wow clone with unisteresting and lame combat, broken endgame and flawed to the core mechanics. biggest dissapointment ever

DF...well...errrrmmmm....u get the figure

so, as title says, what upcoming game should i look forward to if i want to fulfil my PvP/RvR needs?

Comments

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by arcdevil

Warhammer is all a RvR game should NOT be, its more like an 90% wow clone with unisteresting and lame combat, broken endgame and flawed to the core mechanics. biggest dissapointment ever

so, as title says, what upcoming game should i look forward to if i want to fulfil my PvP/RvR needs?

Well your a new generation themepark player try maybe

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• TurnellTurnell Member Posts: 239

I wager DF will pull itself out of the fire. AoC remains a viable option for all PvPrs.

The next main PvP game is Darkfall, like it or not. If you dont, I suggest staying with AoC or WAR. WAR isnt a WOW clone.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Turnell

I wager DF will pull itself out of the fire. AoC remains a viable option for all PvPrs.
    The next main PvP game is Darkfall, like it or not. If you dont, I suggest staying with AoC or WAR. WAR isnt a WOW clone.

WAR=carebear themepark easy and fluff guidance=WoW

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Knived11Knived11 Member Posts: 262

First of all I dont recommend any new or upcoming game, because lately, they have all failed. If you like fantasy your best bets are AoC, WAR, and GW. If you dont mind SciFi EVE Online is a great game with great pvp.

For the record. I Play neither of the games i have listed, but i have played each of them for atleast a month and a half.

"Emotion, yet peace.
    Ignorance, yet knowledge.
    Passion, yet serenity.
    Chaos, yet harmony.
    Death, yet the Force"
    The Original Jedi Code

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Evasia

Well your a new generation themepark player try maybe

?

i have been in MMOs since UO

i admit im a gfx whore tho,and i like big communities, not exactly fond of sticking with almost-dying games, where you pvp with the same 30 dudes day after day after day after day, till you finally vomit if you see their names on the screen one more time

on a sidenote i'd have expected more from a guy with +1000 posts here, but i guess most of those were also idiotic asumptions showing your lack of brain and what i presume is a bully complex derived from your lack of social skills and some nasty hygienic habits

ty for your reply anyway,you can now go back to fail miserably as usual

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

My picks

1.Aion-probably next biggest mmo to come out

2.Earthrise-Open world/sandbox game

3.Global Agenda-Third person action mmo

4.Dc Online-same as above

5.Jumpgate evo-action Star ship fighter mmo

Aion is probably the best bet to sucessful but the game play will be in the similar to wow and war.Earthrise should be ready be the time people are really tired DF, earthrise will be  the next game to carry the sandbox banner for the sandbox fan boys.

I have two sleeper  mmo Fallen Earth and TCOS

• DostumDostum Member Posts: 29

I would say darkfall. :).

I know you seem to be wary of it but it got my blood pumping. Just did some small gang pvp 4 v a bit of an uncoordinated zerg. Hit and run tactics, real stealth (hiding by crouching in long grass etc), scouting areas before we moved into.

Managed to hold our own nicely and then fell back after a few kills, hid, regrouped.

Not done any major battles yet but if this kind of detail and use of terrain/tactics (including having to stay silent/hearing footsteps, seeing glints etc) continues and is translated into those battles then it will be brilliant.

Far superior to anything WAR offered.

Wait a month maybe, get into an established guild if you ever decide to join, best tips I can give. Also has some bugs but server is very stable (about 10k people) after the fail of launch.

Not perfect by any means, but a rough diamond and still the best fun I have had in pvp for a while.

I KNOW a lot of people have strong opinions on this game I will list some things they can improve on here to balance it.

-animations

-some vendor system like SWG had for players to sell stuff indirectly.

-better map interface (trust me it is annoying)

-perhaps slightly more spawns, although I have taken to just inviting people to my group and ganking them for the gear/gold, or doing pvp, pve is only annoying and neccesariy now because we need to get the clan infrastructure running.

And I doubt you will be seeing the same person in this game twice, the world is massive, you may never ever see a clan living on the other side of the world until your clan decides to go on a little pvp excursion away from home.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

The next big thing is to not expect a next big thing.  Chill out will some good non-MMO games and just wait and see.

I don't think any of the next big MMOs are focused on pvp. 

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

The next big thing is to not expect a next big thing.  Chill out will some good non-MMO games and just wait and see.

nor should they be if anything the recent failure of AOC, DF and even WAR is because they are trying to cater to one of the loudest minorities in all of MMOs the PVPer. those who try and make you think that unless the game is solely based around PVP its going to fail when actually its quite the opposite.

If you base your game solely around PVP it WILL FAIL, you have to have a good mix of PVP and PVE. hopefully the WAR devs pull thier heads from thier asses and realize this, then maybe thier game might be actually worth playing.

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118

The bad news is there is no next best thing in development with the exception of maybe Guild Wars 2 and thats only if they add large scale team based RVR.  The good news is the best PVP game ever created is still open for business ala Dark Age of Camelot. Its pretty painless on classic servers to get to max level and geared well enough to compete against most anybody. Generally speaking the general purpose game design model is wore out. Just look at what was supposed to be he BIG thing ie WAR it's sub base is about 30 percent of what it was at release if that.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Ravanos

nor should they be if anything the recent failure of AOC, DF and even WAR is because they are trying to cater to one of the loudest minorities in all of MMOs the PVPer. those who try and make you think that unless the game is solely based around PVP its going to fail when actually its quite the opposite.

If you base your game solely around PVP it WILL FAIL, you have to have a good mix of PVP and PVE. hopefully the WAR devs pull thier heads from thier asses and realize this, then maybe thier game might be actually worth playing.

thats not true.

if AoC and WAR teached us something is that both sold more than 1 million boxes the first months after being marketed as the "next gen PvP/RvR MMO"

Both AoC and WAR fail miserably at being good PvP games, which meant the downfall of both titles, but the genre is live and kicking...in spite of Aoc/WAR doing their best to kill it

WoW proved to be a major hit and most producers simply try to clone the success...they fail to understand that no new game will ever surpass WoW in what it does best since blizzard has had a lot of time and and lot of money to polish it to its current status.

Both AoC and WAR had nothing but an uninteresting and lame PvE trying to lure the WoW audience, with a more or less secundary PvP component, which in both cases also had truckload of flaws. hardly what the playerbase expected

The genre definetly needs a game like EvE, just mainstream, which delivers the promised

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

I think that Earthrise and Mortal online are the only PvP focused, sandbox type game comming out. The Chronicles of spellborn wants to have a large PvP focused, but I really doubt they can get themselfs out of the hole they have dug.

I was looking forward to Jumpgate Evolution but it looks to be making all the mistakes that War made with regards to PvP. It might be worth looking at still since it is a PvP focused game, supposedly.

Darkfall will never be any good, I seriously doubt with that development team they can save their game, it has so many problems, and so many amature mistakes it is unlikely they possess the ability to do what is needed to make the game worth subbing to. I was going to wait a couple of months after release to see if they could get rid of the problems I had with the game in beta, but it just looks unlikely at this point to ever happen.

Actually I just remebered another PvP game, Guild Wars 2, I dont know anything about it though other than they are removing the heavily instanced part of the game and focusing on world PvP. So it is probably worth looking at.

Other than those mentioned, I honestly dont know what to look forward to when it comes to MMOs. So many games trying to copy wow rather than make gameplay that suits the theme of their game. It really is not surprising any more that they are failing left right and centre.

Personally I am looking forward to Mount and Blades multiplayer expansion, Empire Total War, and Kingdom Under Fire 2: which is going to be a persistant online multiplayer game, it is not an mmo the battles are to small for it to be classed as one, it is more like a cross between guild wars and KUF. So I am not really bothered that I cant find an mmo to play anymore. It is just a shame that a genre that could be alot more than it is, is stuck in the same type of rut FPS games were stuck in a while ago where they all copied the same game and the same theme over and over again.

Sorry WAR didn't fail, early drop in numbers was just a large group of WoW players checking out a new game, WoW players who have no intention of leaving WoW.  If they have a positive net-income they didn't fail.  It's just that simple.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Sorry WAR didn't fail, early drop in numbers was just a large group of WoW players checking out a new game, WoW players who have no intention of leaving WoW.  If they have a positive net-income they didn't fail.  It's just that simple.

I agree with this. WAR is anything but a failure.

Was it a WoW killer? no, people who think one game should kill another are worthless fanbois.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

I don't understand why people keep saying that WAR has failed.  They must not being playing now or have unrealistic subs expectations.  Twice this past weekend I had to wait in a queue to log onto my server (Iron Fist).  Any game that has that much interest is not a failure.

It's amusing that people pronounce their personal opinion as a universal truth as to whether WAR is fun to play or not.  For me, it's fun and an adrenaline rush.  I suspect that WAR doesn't give them the opportunity to show off their "L33t" skills and draw attention to themselves.  WAR is very much a team game which depends on everyone playing their toon well, and showboating usually means defeat of the team.  Order seems to have more of this type player than Destruction, which is one reason Destro wins more often.

So, drop the "WAR has failed" mantra.  No matter how many times you say it, it's not true and your continued repeating it won't make it true.

Ion

• rewindgamersrewindgamers Member Posts: 82

I personaly would like to see in the next games being developed by EA Mythic, Blizzard, and other is guilds doing more to run the game where if big enough the guilds can have an influance on the actual faction that you are on and if another guild wants to jump ahead of you, there can be a guild war. Towns, then citys, then castle can be build by the guild and the other faction(s) can take it over if they have enough people. There can be battle grounds where you accutaly win the batlle ground if won enough times, and because of that there is a endgame in which you whipe out the other faction where they have to go in retreat until they can gain back some land and push them back. If the faction gets through the secret place where retreat is (Super Super Super Super Super hard) and they kill all in there, boom endgame all characters get transfered to another server.

Prizes: Side that lost: Nothing                                                                                                                           

Prizes: Side that won: Special Title, Armor, Weapon, and other cool stuff. (Does not ove power the people though.)

• chinchilla32chinchilla32 Member Posts: 51

PvP died with WoW. Wait till Guild Wars 2 or Lineage 3. kthxbai.

• HuntingtomHuntingtom Member Posts: 41

I'm still hoping Mythic realizes that their game is broken and fixes it.  They probably know that at this rate their game is going to fail miserably, and hopefuly they listen to the player base and fix it accordingly.  I'm gonna give WAR couple more months.  I remember DAOC was crap when it first came out, but after a few months, it was the best thing.  Lets not give up on WAR just yet.

PBBG List.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I'm waiting on Jumpgate Evoloution for MMORPG pvp, but for pvp FPS are best like Battlefield. MMORPGs are pretty much just a piss poor excuse for PvP ultimately, where spamming function keys, macroing and purchasing ubah gear = skillz!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

The best Online RPG pvp experience I ever had was on a MUD. Back when it was called pk.

The reason why it was so fun is because the way MUDs are layed out, you could flee a battle and run around.

Half of all pvp was chasing people.  People would get chased from one side of the world all the way to the other.  One fight could last one second or 5 hours.  (that's one fight between two people by the way)

And the reason you worked so hard not to get killed was not only the full looting, but the eventual perma death.  I have not experience 1/100th of this level of pvp joy in a MMO.

CoX adds in the chasing element with travel powers like super speed and super jump, and yes it's fun as hell.

Standing in one place hoping your healer heals you is just no fun and takes no skill.  They got to add some chase elements.