Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone actually roleplay?

Comments

• little215little215 Member Posts: 4

although i myself haven't try it, i still appreciate the roleplay. And i always see such an activity in the Chinajoy.

• freetifffreetiff Member Posts: 3

a female classmate of mine really do that .

she looks so cool

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Some MMO's are built for RP, while some are not.

I RP pretty hardcore in LotRO, I am in an RP kinship and it is the best MMO experience I have had.  We really get into making up our own storylines to go along with the game quests it's awesome.

I played FFXI, and the RPing just wasn't there, you can't do it in a game with no real lore to it.  AoC is a game that is great for RP, I just can't seem to find many people to do it with haha.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

I roleplay. It is why I play MMORPG's. For the fact I can openly roleplay with other like minded individuals from halfway across the world. With PnP games you need to find those around who you enjoy your hobby, and when in a small town that's more concerned with pretending to be a thug, that's damn hard.

Roleplaying is as much a waste of time as grinding for the next level is, but do you enjoy wasting that time? That's what truly matters. MMO's were born on the roleplaying belief, with Ultima Online, and open ended game driven by player choices. WoW took it and slapped shackles on it, set you in a hich chair, gave you a bib, and spoonfed everything to you in a monotonous, linear way.

And if you really wanna get technical, you are roleplaying whether you like it or not. You are ploaying in the role of a human warrior or elven thief, even if you don't act out their personality, you are in essence, playing a role. Roleplaying IS pretending, but it's not JUST pretending. It's acting out the role of your character in some defined way you come up with, interacting with the world around you beyond the mundane clicking.

And I disagree about someone saying EVE has little roleplaying capability, it by far, has one of the larger roleplaying communities out there. It's strong, deep, mature, AND it's not tied to a story, as we are the story. EVE's story progesses with our help, not the other way around. EVE being a sandbox actually opens the possibilities of roleplay, unlike WoW, which coddles you and holds your hand.

And as the poll suggests, roleplaying seems extremely popular, and even though you may think it a waste of time, we are enjoying wasting it. Just as you are playing games.

• cyrus677cyrus677 Member Posts: 4

I Role-play as well. I started with WoW, and was absolutely horrible! I Burnt through all the cliche things right off the bat. My Ninja/Dragon/Demon-Hunter was feared throughout Azeroth. Then I took a long long long break from Role-playing, and when I came back, I was much better. I had learned how to make a believeable character with flaws and weaknesses instead of being an annoying god-modder. Eventually I made some RP friends, and had a great time. I think Roleplaying is great in that it adds just that much more fun to playing an already great experience.

• CataclysmSoTCataclysmSoT Member Posts: 8

Forgive me for my pitch, but--

The free MMO I GM for, Shades of Truth, is 100% Role-play Enforced and available to play. Role-play is required, period. OOC conversations are kept to whispers by enforcement of our Three Rules and excellent roleplaying is rewarded with XP. In fact, it is impossible to advance your character statistically without engaging in active roleplay with Teacher characters, experience players like yourselves who have the ability to Task players in new abilities.

To be honest, the game is a bit dated, but hey! Those who are in it for the roleplay aren't too concerned with glimmery graphics and particle effects. They play with their imagination as well as their computer.

Come check us out! Our player base is still small but is quickly expanding. http://underlight.ixios.net

• ZanarixZanarix Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by xusheng2
    I personally think roleplaying your race or character in a game is a complete waste of time.

Personally, I see your argument very one-minded. Now to argue your opinion with my own.

I love role-playing (I've always preferred in-game RP as well, compared to posts on forums or chatrooms and the like because I can immerse myself into it better). That's my opinion on the matter.

To argue your statement, I say: Do you not consider acting pointless? This is what role-playing is. Actors get paid to role-play and the grade A actors get paid well. All of them, they role-play. They are essentially playing a role, doesn't matter what the theme of the movie is, they are role-playing. With a script.

I like improvisational theater. I've never done it though but it looks incredibly entertaining and fun because you never know what's going to happen. People get paid to do this, people get paid to act.

In a game, some may say role-playing is a complete waste of time. But then, playing a game is a complete waste of time anyway because that's basically why you play games: to waste time and entertain yourself while doing so.

But I see it as a game enhancement. Not everyone has to like it or participate in role-playing but for those who do role-play it can enhance the game that little bit more when they find other like-minded people to do it.

/endargument

• lord_bisonlord_bison Member Posts: 16

I think roleplaying is an important part of enjoying a game, for me anyway.

You should forget about it in WoW. Too many people obsessed with levelling and not enjoying the content and themselves.  You have to think about it but once it comes naturally it's really rewarding.

I've found LotRO is the best so far that I've tried for RPing, with such a rich lore and world it is fairly easy even for novice RP'ers to get into and this seems to be the case as about 99% of the people on the server RP too which helps you to get into it. I couldnt imagine playing on anything other than an RP server now.

I play an uptight upper class lady in LotRO and my friend is my butler, Its a good RP set up and can be really funny. RP rules

Its a trick...get an axe!

Originally posted by lord_bison
    I think roleplaying is an important part of enjoying a game, for me anyway.
    You should forget about it in WoW. Too many people obsessed with levelling and not enjoying the content and themselves.  You have to think about it but once it comes naturally it's really rewarding.
    I've found LotRO is the best so far that I've tried for RPing, with such a rich lore and world it is fairly easy even for novice RP'ers to get into and this seems to be the case as about 99% of the people on the server RP too which helps you to get into it. I couldnt imagine playing on anything other than an RP server now.
    I play an uptight upper class lady in LotRO and my friend is my butler, Its a good RP set up and can be really funny. RP rules

LotRO is a game I want to try out, but I'm not going to buy it until I've played the trial or someone how played it because I wouldn't waste my money doing so.

You CAN find good role-playing on World of Warcraft, but it's very rare because like you said, most of the people on the game just want to level (I am also like this which is why I tried finding a decent Heavy RP guild which RP's in their guild chat... I'm still looking). That or you get all these pathetic ERPers (for those who don't know, ERP means Erotic Role-Playing).

• Jay_NWJay_NW Member Posts: 6

Not true. My experience of even RP servers is of people just sprinting from quest to quest

Originally posted by Jay_NW
    Not true. My experience of even RP servers is of people just sprinting from quest to quest

Yeah, see I do that often on WoW. But then, at level 80 I'll probably RP most of the time.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

It's funny, because ever since I've left WoW I haven't found the kind of casual RP that it offers.

It's usually only confined to guilds or events...

no constant Inn RP like on Moon Guard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Max-OMax-O Member Posts: 6

I only roleplay in games where i'm supposed to roleplay in.

What i mean with that is, I Don't roleplay in Counter Strike Source lol but seriously guys, MMORPG Stands for Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Play Game which is based on Roleplay! So why not roleplay in an MMORPG? 

• OddjobXLOddjobXL Member Posts: 102

I'm finding it harder and harder to RP in MMOs.

Now, I'm an old school tabletop RPer.  I can talk your ear off about the evolution of RPG design, roleplaying theories, or just various schools of thought and applied approaches to roleplaying.  I used to love dreaming up a character and diving in to a tabletop campaign, a MUSH or an MMO.

But I'm really hitting an immersion wall.  The more MMOs I play the less easily I can ignore the weak/abstract gameplay mechanics that steal away suspension of disbelief.  Instead of simply being excited about a new game or a new setting I find myself peering ahead to the inevitable conclusion where my understanding of my character and the mythos clashes with the implimentation.   Kinda like the guy who can take one look at a girl and imagine how the entire relationship will play out, up to the breakup, before he ever says hello.  So he never bothers.

In fact, I've gone from a hardcore roleplayer to a boring old powergamer in MMOs who can barely summon a grunt when the opportunity for roleplaying presents itself.   Odds are it's going to be a bunch of folks sitting around a tavern/cantina talking about nothing in particular or just flirting for hours.

And I can't blame the gamers.  I really can't.  Game designs are so hung up on balance or clever tricks that you never see designs that really try to recreate a world which causes/inspires/rewards players for doing something interesting that contributes to immersion, that gives them something interesting to roleplay about.  Instead you have the grindy-grindy gameplay on one side of the room, doing its own disembodied thing, and the roleplay on the other trying to recreate the world promised on the box-art which is never actually embedded in the actual gameplay.  That's at least until "roleplay" gets tired of the thankless effort and slumps down in a bar chair to give up the ghost and settle for gossip about someone's ex-girlfriend - in a pseudo-Shakespearean accent.

But I do love roleplaying, or did.  It's getting harder and harder to say.

Always notice what you notice.

• SerriaSerria Member Posts: 33

it is hard to image to role play in most mmorpgs/mmos outthere. In order to have with it, you need to have the setting, people who role play along with you, and people who appreciate your performance. Without them, it only confuse and alienate other players. To me, mmorpgs are a community you make pleasant interaction with others. Although it is virtual, most ppl still like to know the honest and true you.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by Zanarix

Originally posted by Jay_NW

Yeah, see I do that often on WoW. But then, at level 80 I'll probably RP most of the time.

Not sure if it's a good choice, if you rush through levels to the top, not reading text quests, not caring about the world, not communicating in character, not caring to create and take part in adventures, missions and intrigues, have RP meetings and relationships with others, etc and if you begin to RP only when you are at highest level it doesn't make much sense in a consistent RP character development.

For instance you can then one-shot your way through many mobs, how are you supposed to RP with a superman owning 3/4 of the world you live in? Better start when you are weak because risk, danger, mission = fun. You must create your history and your past by living and playing it. At highest level all your maps show already the world, you know the instances and bosses, you can go everywhere, how are you supposed to have fun RPing if you're quasi-omniscient and invulnerable?

No, you shouldn't just start RPing in a inn at level 80 as if you were a semigod fallen from the sky (or you should have an immigrant heroic background ;)) and just because you finished your level rush and haven't better things to do from now on and grant yourself a RP rest, but still wanted to show others you were capable of doing your grind chores to the top.

Hm, RP and RP servers in World of Warcraft and WoW "lore" anyway... They never enforced RP rules on their dedicated servers and even if they had some real lore (not the silly one they come up with for a new expansion or to sell books), how can you rp amongst gnomes on helicopters, green-haired jamaican trolls dancing capoera, and goats on polar bears wearing googles and a murloch on their head waving a Blizzard flag?

• RetroMonsterRetroMonster Member Posts: 288

Roleplaying, it seems like it's talked about here in this thread a lot as  GOOD THING but do people actually role-play? No.

I have seen very few posts and threads that have been "Role-played" in the last few days. So if you guys like to Role-Play, then role-play. Anyways, it gets your post count up funner.

So support what you love to do and actually Role-Play. Not to many adults, I know Role-play so its very weird.

• SozzalsSozzals Member Posts: 25

What about ERP? Not so openly discussed yet quite a few people are into that.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Go buy a Star Trek Federation uniform and wear it everywhere you go in the real world, and thats basically what its like to try and role play in mmorpgs these days.  You get nothing but odd looks and lots og pointing and laughing.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

WoW introduced a horde of non roleplayers to our beloved genre. They are the larger market, MMO's are being made more and more for them.

RPG MMO's....RIP.

• KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by OddjobXL

I'm finding it harder and harder to RP in MMOs.
    Now, I'm an old school tabletop RPer.  I can talk your ear off about the evolution of RPG design, roleplaying theories, or just various schools of thought and applied approaches to roleplaying.  I used to love dreaming up a character and diving in to a tabletop campaign, a MUSH or an MMO.
    But I'm really hitting an immersion wall.  The more MMOs I play the less easily I can ignore the weak/abstract gameplay mechanics that steal away suspension of disbelief.  Instead of simply being excited about a new game or a new setting I find myself peering ahead to the inevitable conclusion where my understanding of my character and the mythos clashes with the implimentation.   Kinda like the guy who can take one look at a girl and imagine how the entire relationship will play out, up to the breakup, before he ever says hello.  So he never bothers.
    In fact, I've gone from a hardcore roleplayer to a boring old powergamer in MMOs who can barely summon a grunt when the opportunity for roleplaying presents itself.   Odds are it's going to be a bunch of folks sitting around a tavern/cantina talking about nothing in particular or just flirting for hours.
    And I can't blame the gamers.  I really can't.  Game designs are so hung up on balance or clever tricks that you never see designs that really try to recreate a world which causes/inspires/rewards players for doing something interesting that contributes to immersion, that gives them something interesting to roleplay about.  Instead you have the grindy-grindy gameplay on one side of the room, doing its own disembodied thing, and the roleplay on the other trying to recreate the world promised on the box-art which is never actually embedded in the actual gameplay.  That's at least until "roleplay" gets tired of the thankless effort and slumps down in a bar chair to give up the ghost and settle for gossip about someone's ex-girlfriend - in a pseudo-Shakespearean accent.
    But I do love roleplaying, or did.  It's getting harder and harder to say.

I've more or less come to accept that great RP on any graphical MMO would barely pass muster as even bad RP on any MUSH or at any dinner table RPG session.

It's the medium. Sure, it's technically possible to RP on WoW or wherever else, but has anyone with a real RP background ever RP'ed on a graphical game and not felt... just a little bit... forced?

I tried for a long time, but in the end I just kind of accepted reality. So I feel for you man, I do. The only thing I can really suggest is maybe create a casual MUSH char that you can log every couple weeks to get it out of your system. I actually do that.  Just one possibilty. =)

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

I don't know.. I feels weird trying to role-play online. But, I try it anyway. I gotta get my fix, somehow.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• RetroMonsterRetroMonster Member Posts: 288
    Originally posted by Sanguinia

I don't know.. I feels weird trying to role-play online. But, I try it anyway. I gotta get my fix, somehow.

It's awful to roleplay. Don't even try it.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by RetroMonster

Originally posted by Sanguinia

It's awful to roleplay. Don't even try it.

But I no longer have people to role-play with [in person], so I have no better options.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

*Raises his voice and points finger at OP menacingly*

@^%$ Re#@%#? "Does anyone actually roleplay?". Who asks that sort of thing in a Roleplaying Discussion Forum? *facepalm* Of course someone in the world, of 6 billion people or w.e the hell the human population is now, roleplays...Ya know, stupid comments like that, let the people who do roleplay know to avoid you.

But as to the actual content of your post many would agree that in MMOs the game mechanics do not promote roleplaying, since the only thing that people care about in MMOs is levelling and being better than other people. Yay for e-peens and machoism?......NOT.

*lowers voice and ignores the OP, whose stupid troll like question has deemed him ignorable with any negative effect*

Moving on, I roleplay quite frequently in Never Winter Nights 1 and 2 on persistent worlds. Most of the PWs that I play enforce complete roleplay or banning/booting. And you have to know your Forgotten Realms v3.5 Campaign lore, or you will look like a idiot. But as for MMOs, they attract the "OMG I PWN YOU! HAHAHA" crowd, and these people have a brain cell count of 5, and are barely functional human beings let alone capable roleplayers. Much more is needed for quality roleplay than the ability to type lol and noob over and over again, and steal mommy and daddy's credit card on a monthly basis. Thus you won't notice alot of roleplay in MMOs. And yes I know NWN is not an MMO, I never said it was (some idiot is still going to quote me and say "NWN not a mmo NOOB").

BTW RAWR, FEEL MY NERD RAGE!!!

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB