Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with MMO gaming: Anyone who pays for this garbage.

goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

I was here in the beginning.  Played UO and threw the word "carebear" around.  I have followed darkfall for years and I am extremely dissapointed with the game at release.  There are many issues that I'm sure you are all aware of.  So I'm gonna do what any prudent consumer would do and not buy it.  If the MMO genre had more prudent consumers, MMOs would be better.

That pretty much applies to most of the entertainment industry.  It's why they keep remaking the same movies, music and television shows with quality decreasing all the time.  People who don't know any better keep on buying it.  Maybe they are as lazy as the people who make this shit, maybe they've forgotten how to distract themselves by other means, maybe they are just stupid- I dunno- stupid sells.

So would you stop it?  I know those of you who are playing are having a swell time and all, but is your life that empty that you can't do everyone a favor and entertain yourself without the degredation?  There was likely a time in your life when a stick or a cardboard box could provide hours of good times.  Has your imagination become so dull that you can't have a little fun without an overload of video electronic stimulation?

It's especially sad when so many of those here are ones who have usually spurned mainstream MMOs, but fail to hold this game to the same standards because it falls into their idyllic notion of gaming bliss.  No one who really wants this segment to pick up in MMOs is doing theirself a favor by playing DF.  It only lowers the bar for later.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

Comments

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

Have you played it? No?

Then your opinion doesn't matter, because I have, have put a lot of hours in it over the past few days, and couldn't be happier with my $54 that I spent.

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706
    Originally posted by Kasmos

Have you played it? No?

Then your opinion doesn't matter, because I have, have put a lot of hours in it over the past few days, and couldn't be happier with my $54 that I spent.

Anyone can learn enough about any kind of product to determine it's value.  That's why we have consumer reports, reviews, customer feedback, forums, etc.  If it weren't for people who settle for mediocrity you'd be happier still.

Until then enjoy justifying your purchase.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• GoodBadUglyGoodBadUgly Member Posts: 137

Have you played it? No?

Exactly what he said.

I paid to play it and am enjoying the hell out of it.    Even if it has a few problems, its still head and shoulders better than anything that's come out in years.    That's what counts first and foremost.

Now if I didn't play it, I'd have to admit that all this garbage other people who haven't played it are spewing against it might actually make me start to doubt after awhile.    That's how propagandists work as well.   Just keep spewing the hate over and over and it will eventually have an effect.   I happen to know better on this one though from experience.

You people who are into a hard core gaming enviroment, go ahead and listen to the naysayers who haven't played it if you want.    I am glad to be playing it though.   I am having a blast and its well worth the bucks I spent to play it.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by goneglockin

Have you played it? No?

Anyone can learn enough about any kind of product to determine it's value.  That's why we have consumer reports, reviews, customer feedback, forums, etc.  If it weren't for people who settle for mediocrity you'd be happier still.

Even with consumer reports, review, customer feedback, forums, etc... it's impossible to determine from those alone whether you will like a game or not. I have played plenty of games that have gotten good reviews but were total and absolute garbage. Then you throw in sites like ZeroPunctuation that give purely bad reviews all the time and the formula becomes even more complicated.

Why is it so difficult to find out before purchasing a game whether I will like it? Perhaps because I am unique and *gasp* other people have different opinions! Enjoy justifying your unreasonable hatred of people who are simply enjoying themselves.

• GoodBadUglyGoodBadUgly Member Posts: 137

No one who really wants this segment to pick up in MMOs is doing theirself a favor by playing DF.  It only lowers the bar for later.

Quite the contrary,

I now realized I am actually being spoiled by Darkfall and Mortal Online nor any other game in the near or distant future is going to attempt to put all the features in their game that Darkfall has.

I have been cursed because I finally have gotten to experience a real taste of the kind of MMO I have always longed for.    When this one is over, its probably gonna be over because no gaming company seems to have such a good vision of what a nice hardcore MMO should be like.

Aventurine has a gem of a game on their hands and I hope they stick to their vision.   

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I read forums to get a tatse of what the game is about, then I decide if it is the type I'm interested in. Then I play it to gauge my opinion.

The OP is just a rant against a game the OP read about, no basis in fact that I can discern. So it another "This game sucks" thread, minus the game experience.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

I look at it this way.

If you are happy with your game you wont care what others have to say about it nor would you feel the need to justify it to those who dont like it.

If you know you dont like the game yet cant bring yourself to admit it, you will be more apt to try and justify the those who dont like it.

In short, those who spend just as much time defending a game on a forum as they do playing the game itself are worried that those who dont like the game might be right. Those who really like the game wont bother with people on the forums because they dont really care.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

There's no question I would get some enjoyment out of darkfall.  I just have respect for myself and refuse to hand over my money to these people who think they can pawn off a poorly made, unfinished product on me. 

I'd say your missing the point and you'd say the point is to have fun but you're wrong.  This is a business and you're a consumer, and you're taking the shaft- you may be enjoying yourself, but that's still what's happening here. 

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

I was here in the beginning.  Played UO and threw the word "carebear" around.  I have followed darkfall for years and I am extremely dissapointed with the game at release.  There are many issues that I'm sure you are all aware of.  So I'm gonna do what any prudent consumer would do and not buy it.  If the MMO genre had more prudent consumers, MMOs would be better.
    That pretty much applies to most of the entertainment industry.  It's why they keep remaking the same movies, music and television shows with quality decreasing all the time.  People who don't know any better keep on buying it.  Maybe they are as lazy as the people who make this shit, maybe they've forgotten how to distract themselves by other means, maybe they are just stupid- I dunno- stupid sells.
    So would you stop it?  I know those of you who are playing are having a swell time and all, but is your life that empty that you can't do everyone a favor and entertain yourself without the degredation?  There was likely a time in your life when a stick or a cardboard box could provide hours of good times.  Has your imagination become so dull that you can't have a little fun without an overload of video electronic stimulation?
    It's especially sad when so many of those here are ones who have usually spurned mainstream MMOs, but fail to hold this game to the same standards because it falls into their idyllic notion of gaming bliss.  No one who really wants this segment to pick up in MMOs is doing theirself a favor by playing DF.  It only lowers the bar for later.

So what exactly does you elitisist uberness consider 'quality' entertaintment and games that are more 'fullfilling' that the ones we peons are stuck with? Please enlighten me. You seem to very critical about what other people watch, play, listen and enjoy , but you don't seem to share what YOU enjoy. Pleass share!

• JinaexJinaex Member Posts: 44

If you have been waiting for years for this game you would buy it and try it

not wait around and wait for someone to tell you it's good before you try it

or do you need someone to tell you its good for it to be good?

if the answer is yes, seek help.

until then,

{ Mod Edit }

• DraklonDraklon Member UncommonPosts: 218

There's no question I would get some enjoyment out of darkfall.  I just have respect for myself and refuse to hand over my money to these people who think they can pawn off a poorly made, unfinished product on me. 
    I'd say your missing the point and you'd say the point is to have fun but you're wrong.  This is a business and you're a consumer, and you're taking the shaft- you may be enjoying yourself, but that's still what's happening here. 

Doesn't a game serve its purpose if people enjoy playing it?

If I'm paying for the game and I'm enjoying myself, where does the "shafting" come into play?

There's no "higher purpose" here. Either the game is worth the money or it's not, and it has nothing to do with your self-respect. It's all about fun (since it is just a game, after all) and whether or not you're enjoying yourself while playing it. If you don't like it, then don't pay for it, but don't try to convince others not to play it because of some sick personal agenda. Let people be people and the game will take care of itself, one way or another.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Aethios

Have you played it? No?

Even with consumer reports, review, customer feedback, forums, etc... it's impossible to determine from those alone whether you will like a game or not. I have played plenty of games that have gotten good reviews but were total and absolute garbage. Then you throw in sites like ZeroPunctuation that give purely bad reviews all the time and the formula becomes even more complicated.

Why is it so difficult to find out before purchasing a game whether I will like it? Perhaps because I am unique and *gasp* other people have different opinions! Enjoy justifying your unreasonable hatred of people who are simply enjoying themselves.

Come on, the OP said he decided not to pay for something, and he gave his reason.  How unreasonable can that be?  How more reasonable are you?  You said you paid for something and that suddenly makes you the authority in this field?  Could it be that you are stupid and you paid, and we should avoid your views?

If you object to his views tell us why.  A blanket statement saying you like it means nothing.  We never know if you really paid, play and understand at all.  Why must he paid before he is entitled to forming an opinion and sharing it?  If everyone must pay before he can talk we would be muted half of our life.  If you tell us you are unique, are you hinting to us that your view means nothing to us cos you are unique?  Or that you are unique and more clever and should dictate our taste?

To kasmos: why would his view not matter? why would your view matter? To me both matters, and with your attitude, his might matter more.  At least he is not hatred driven.

Originally posted by Orthedos 
    Come on, the OP said he decided not to pay for something, and he gave his reason.  How unreasonable can that be?  How more reasonable are you?  You said you paid for something and that suddenly makes you the authority in this field?  Could it be that you are stupid and you paid, and we should avoid your views?
    If you object to his views tell us why.  A blanket statement saying you like it means nothing.  We never know if you really paid, play and understand at all.  Why must he paid before he is entitled to forming an opinion and sharing it?  If everyone must pay before he can talk we would be muted half of our life.  If you tell us you are unique, are you hinting to us that your view means nothing to us cos you are unique?  Or that you are unique and more clever and should dictate our taste?
    To kasmos: why would his view not matter? why would your view matter? To me both matters, and with your attitude, his might matter more.  At least he is not hatred driven.

Not hatred driven? Are we even reading the same thread?

Whether I like the game or not is irrelevant (in fact, I haven't even played it, and therefore have no opinion on the subject) but what he's saying is dead flat wrong. I object to what he's saying because he's saying "I'm too good to pay for this game and if you were dumb enough to shell out money, then you're an idiot and I'm better than you too." That kind of elitist attitude should never be coddled, especially in this suffering market.

If the game is good, pay for it. If it's not, then by all means tell people. However, if you haven't played it, don't even know if you like it, but are just parading around stroking your ego, then what's the point? At least the people paying are enjoying themselves.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Have you played it? No?

Did you even read what he post? He doesn't just attack dfo, but movies, music, books that i enjoy. He sounds like a communist girlfriend I used to bang , that thought that everything that came out of hollywood was crap and watching movies that made absolutely no sense, and that only the director , the actors , their friends and family and us watched was awesome entertaintment.

Not hatred driven? Are we even reading the same thread?

Whether I like the game or not is irrelevant (in fact, I haven't even played it, and therefore have no opinion on the subject) but what he's saying is dead flat wrong. I object to what he's saying because he's saying "I'm too good to pay for this game and if you were dumb enough to shell out money, then you're an idiot and I'm better than you too." That kind of elitist attitude should never be coddled, especially in this suffering market.

If the game is good, pay for it. If it's not, then by all means tell people. However, if you haven't played it, don't even know if you like it, but are just parading around stroking your ego, then what's the point? At least the people paying are enjoying themselves.

If I do not read the replies that follows, the opinion from the OP is just a rant, not much.  He has nothing solid to offer.  What follows however are some very despotic views who seems to be based on the fact that they had paid for it.  That is what upsets me.  As I said, both views matter, and again both does b/c none of them are very informative.  At least the OP is more polite and does not tell us to shut up.  The first reply simply says shut up, which to me sounds like mad hatred driven.

• anakinsellaanakinsella Member UncommonPosts: 228

Have you played it? No?

Except consumer reports are for tools who can't decide if something is good for them on their own.

Do you even have a mind of your own or do you just believe everything reviews, forums, and "consumer reports" say?

At least the OP is more polite and does not tell us to shut up.  The first reply simply says shut up, which to me sounds like mad hatred driven.

I never said "shut up." Don't put words in my mouth.

To dimmit, too long to quote.

Frankly I kinda a agree with him about mass consumption entertainment.  Its getting very watered down.  The soap operas, the billion dollar movies, those idol singers and music, they are crap (to me).  I do not sell my ideas here, cos that is not what this message board is.  On the other hand, some of the OP's views I share.  Communist gf you bang, can you talk with less complexities, why bring in communist?  So capitalist is superior or what?  Don't start this argument over here.  This is MMORPG, not ism messageboard.

At least the OP is more polite and does not tell us to shut up.  The first reply simply says shut up, which to me sounds like mad hatred driven.

I clearly said TO KOSMOS, who said the OP's view does not matter.  I also clearly said the first reply, which is Kosmos' not yours.  Stop jumping around in anger.

I clearly said TO KOSMOS, who said the OP's view does not matter.  I also clearly said the first reply, which is Kosmos' not yours.  Stop jumping around in anger.

Who's angry? Maybe you should be more specific so people don't think you're making wild accusations.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I guess the OP is just sick and tired of all the crappy MMOs being released lately. Only time will tell how this one pans out, it could be great or just merely wallow into mediocrity like so many others of its genre.

O_o o_O

Who's angry? Maybe you should be more specific so people don't think you're making wild accusations.

I clearly said To Kosmos: .... That means I am not talking to you.  I never said you ask the OP to shut up.  I am talking about the first reply in this thread.  I clearly wrote "to kosmos" and "the first reply" separately.  If you cannot read, don't blame me.  READ before you said something.  I never put words in your mouth, I am not even talking to you on that part of the argument.

Maybe I need to split 2 replies to 2 views in 2 separate replies, but with I was expecting some common reading skills from the readers here and I kinda get lazy and lump them up.  Maybe I should expect less.

Originally posted by Bigdavo

I guess the OP is just sick and tired of all the crappy MMOs being released lately. Only time will tell how this one pans out, it could be great or just merely wallow into mediocrity like so many others of its genre.

This I agree too.  Luckily spamming replies here does help me kill some idle hours of my life, when I am stuck with only access to IE.

Originally posted by Draklon

Doesn't a game serve its purpose if people enjoy playing it?

Look at it this way.  If you charge a person starving to death big bucks for a meager portion of spoiled food, they are going to tell you it was the best meal they've ever had.

It's pretty fitting because a lot of us have been waiting for years to play a game the same ideas as DF, myself included.  Lots of folks who've been waiting will naturally overlook quite a bit. 

The purpose of a game is simply to make money.  The difference between a good game and a bad game is that good games are creative, entertaining and expressive or offer some depth- and make money as a result.  Bad games make money because there are a lot of undisciplined starving consumers out there.

This discussion has been closed.