Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dev Chat changed the way we look at jumpgate.

TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/JGE/index.html

Sign the jumpgate petition and support the game before the Dev's ruin it.

After tonights Dev chat on irc we found out the following.

• No Death Penalty other than a Repair Bill

Even wow punished you by making you run back to your corpse, in jumpgate when you die you get teleported back to the station with all your loot and cargo.
  • No Loss of cargo on death

Players will be able to loot stuff, then to save time just crash into something so that they have a fast way home, note to gold farmers, speed up gold production my mining stuff then crash to get home and sell the ore faster.
  • No PVP Servers

This is a PVP GAME, twitch based pvp combat and yet the dev's feel that its not important to have a PVP server, instead they will have a server with half the map pve ie no pvp flagged, and the other will be open to pvp. half the map missing depending on what type of play you like.
  • No mixed nation squads/guilds

This is something thats changed we were supposed to be able to go what ever nation we wanted and still be in the same squad, not any more. now were being forced to be a specific nation to be in a squad.

The list of horrible news continues there is a full log of the chat on the jumpgate forums.

All I can say is please take a second and sign the petition linked above, and try and help us to wake up Net Devil before they goto launch with this product.

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

disapointing. was semi hyped about this because it sounded like it was a twitch sandbox, but seems kind of lame now.

at least devs are honest and DONT just stay quiet until release

My blog: image

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Yavln

No Death Penalty other than a Repair Bill

Even wow punished you by making you run back to your corpse, in jumpgate when you die you get teleported back to the station with all your loot and cargo.

Agreed this is too weak and no-one will care if they die or not. Death will become a instant teleport system.

No Loss of cargo on death

Players will be able to loot stuff, then to save time just crash into something so that they have a fast way home, note to gold farmers, speed up gold production my mining stuff then crash to get home and sell the ore faster.

Same as above

No PVP Servers

This is a PVP GAME, twitch based pvp combat and yet the dev's feel that its not important to have a PVP server, instead they will have a server with half the map pve ie no pvp flagged, and the other will be open to pvp. half the map missing depending on what type of play you like.

I can live without PvP servers. I'd rather one big single server for everyone tbh but if they have separate servers than may as well have full PvP ones.

No mixed nation squads/guilds

This is something thats changed we were supposed to be able to go what ever nation we wanted and still be in the same squad, not any more. now were being forced to be a specific nation to be in a squad.

Not a game breaker for me. Having 3 factions should at least mean you dont get as many population problems as WAR did.
    The list of horrible news continues there is a full log of the chat on the jumpgate forums.
    All I can say is please take a second and sign the petition linked above, and try and help us to wake up Net Devil before they goto launch with this product.

Other things i got from dev chat was they still arent sure about Friendly Fire and whether to have it on or off. I would rather see it off but with penalties for shooting your friends.

Then there is the no fire zone around jumpgates as well.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735
    Originally posted by Yavln

No Death Penalty other than a Repair Bill

Well having to run back to your place of death is absolutly ridiculous, especially in a PvP death, you should have to start far away, preferably very far so you wont be able to get back immediately...but I agree there needs to be some stiff death penalties, but not so stiff that at some point you wouldnt want to/wouldnt be able to PvP.

No Loss of cargo on death

I don't like the idea of equipment loss, but I think cargo loss would be a good idea.

No PVP Servers

I agree, I dont see anything wrong with PvE-safe zones, but PvP should not be something completely separated from PvE...it should just be a game, everything is out there do what you want when you feel like it. People who want PvP dont simply want the action of being a player vs another player, otherwise we wouldnt be playing a MMO. We want meaningful PvP with accomplishments, rewards, and a serious/competitive attitude...this isnt acheived through PvP zones, its acheived through PvP being integrated into other parts of the game...for example a squad fighting for control of a station that when owned it will give them rewards and bragging rights....things like that.

No mixed nation squads/guilds

I didn't know they were planning this...Personally I don't want a RvR game, it may not be bad if you could communicate with the enemy factions, but PvP is bland, boring and never very competitive (except in an overall scale...ie: a specific fight is hardly meaningful, its more of the overall fighting)...and most importantly, impersonal. I want to form rivalries, know who I'm up against, have politics and drama over server balance, etc...all the things that add a flare to MMOs.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

Apparently they are going to add rewards to instanced PvP as well, thats been proven time and time again to not work.

They are also adding safe zones around jumpgates which will obviously lead to higly exploitable areas, it would be better to have an invulrability timer so people can not exploit the area.

Damn after reading everything they have just annouced I think I have lost all interest in this game which really was the only mmo left that I was looking forward to in the future because it actually seemed different.

Hope it still does well, I just cant see myself liking another game that tries to appeal to the WoW crowd rather than play to its strengths and learn from past mistakes.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

yea I had high hopes but from the sounds of it, won't be a game I pick up now.

I was looking for a more user friendly eve, meaning eve sandbox with eve pvp type system (full loot / death penalties etc) but with a more user friendly UI better missioning and less "work" feel to the game.  That sucks they are not adding any sort of death penalties.  Oh well my search for the next mmo I play to keep going right on past this one =(  Im sure it will do ok as it is, but I think they are hoping that by carebearing it up they will get more subs and I don't think they realize that they are cutting out a huge market share of people who are into the "eve" style games.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Sounds like WAR in space now tbh. I guess i can find a month or 2's worth of enjoyment out of it before it tanks.

Here's a quote from an IGN article.

IGN Vault: Will the cost of repairs increase the more frequently something is damaged?

Hermann Peterscheck: No. It's the amount of damage. In this case, if your ship sustains a percentage of amour damage, only amour not shields, there's a percentage of the value of the ship that gets associated with fixing it. So if the ship cost a million credits and you've got 50% damage to your amour, then it might cost 20,000 credits. But at that point you have a lot of money, so it's not an amount of money that would really make you care.

So no reason to fear death and dying. Death becomes a suedo teleport system.

• paulp146paulp146 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Thats to bad i was going to play this aswell , if this is set in stone i doubt i'll bother.

• ShlomoShlomo Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Mykell

Sounds like WAR in space now tbh. I guess i can find a month or 2's worth of enjoyment out of it before it tanks.
    Here's a quote from an IGN article.
    IGN Vault: Will the cost of repairs increase the more frequently something is damaged?
    Hermann Peterscheck: No. It's the amount of damage. In this case, if your ship sustains a percentage of amour damage, only amour not shields, there's a percentage of the value of the ship that gets associated with fixing it. So if the ship cost a million credits and you've got 50% damage to your amour, then it might cost 20,000 credits. But at that point you have a lot of money, so it's not an amount of money that would really make you care.
    So no reason to fear death and dying. Death becomes a suedo teleport system.

Thought the same thing

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

Please read one of the devs' post on the official forums - it should soften the blows somewhat, though perhaps not entirely, depending on your expectations of the game:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337544

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

To echo the post above, here's the same thread on the US forums:

http://us.jumpgateevolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551

-- Mulligan

• ColonialColonial Member Posts: 151

Only one I dont like is no mixed nation guilds.

Rest is okay, no one knows what it will cost to replace a ship and your weapons.  Its too early to decide on game breakers, if you play and don't have fun play something else.

I'm stoked to have something to play in a multiplayer environment that will use any controller I like.  I want to play something fun and exciting that I can drop at a moments notice to go do something else.  If it doesnt fill these criteria then thats why I won't play.

At least the guys are talking to their community and answering questions pre-open beta.

Yeah been reading the posts (good to see some official communication on forums) but still not convinced. The ND devs might have great intentions and yet I'm sure Mythic never intended for people to play scenarios exclusively in WAR but thats what happened when the game released.

With no ship/equip/cargo loss i fail to see how an economy wont eventually become stagnant however ND say they have a solution for this but wont reveal it. Also says they will change things depending on feedback from beta but how much can change with 3 months to release. I'm just too sceptical nowadays.

Originally posted by Colonial

Rest is okay, no one knows what it will cost to replace a ship and your weapons. 

If you mean on death than there is no replacement only a repair bill. I posted this above with a link to the dev interview.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

Changes sound ok to me. How it works in practice would depend on how it is implemented.

The game the original poster wants is not for me.

• ColonialColonial Member Posts: 151

As I said though Im not that bothered as long as it meets my casual or hardcore mood according to whether the wife's hogging the TV and my kid needing a bed time story.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

There is no reason to be overly concerned about or get upset at what the devs said in that dev chat and no one has played the game yet which is still in  the testing phase of alpha.

Mostly inflated egos are causing many to think their way is the best and any hint of deviation sparks wild worst case scenarios and references to games that are not even close to what JGE will be.

This is still my most wanted release of 2009, espacially because ND is takeing the time to focus test and get things right, no other mmo dev team has done this to the extent that ND has and as a result we get art and not some rushed piece of garbage that only meets a dedline that some corperate bone head set who doesn't know jack about what we want.

• Eraser55Eraser55 Member Posts: 142

to me it just sounds like ND is betraying their fanbase. Their fanbase who has played their previous game for 8 years and is still running. All we want is a PVP server with similar game rules as the previous one.

Meaning

-Death penalty with insurance for ship and equip. Yes you get 90% of your money back when u die.  Pirates are not insured because of bounty.

-Multinational squads/guilds

-Pirating. not looting, but Pay or Die, or stealing cargo while the other players still alive.. works in JGC.

-No or very low awards for instanced PVP.

-No safe zones in Open Space, with regulated and unregulated space.. bounty for killing non pvp tagged players in regulated space. Free for all in unregulated. maybe even put some Ai patrols if needed in core sectors to make it safer for noobs.

I cant come up with more now.. but those are the main points. 

My cool sig: Turrets suck.

• NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74

Haha, it's AoC all over again with the Death Teleporting. Seems like a cool game but i dunno, those stuff kinda put me of now. =( To bad, i want a nice Combat Space MMO. And Eve isn't it, and now this doesn't seem to be it either.

• Well we know there's a repair cost associated with death. If it's low enough that people crash into things on purpose to return to the station quickly it shouldn't be difficult to increase the penalty.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Nice. Almost exactly what i want for a space game.

1) little death penalty is nice. Now i don't have to worry about dying and can take more risks.

2) more PvE content is the way to go. Both WAR & AOC failed because of NOT enough higher level PvE content.

I would prefer to have a PvE server but can live with a game with a large amount of PvE zones.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by Eraser55

to me it just sounds like ND is betraying their fanbase. Their fanbase who has played their previous game for 8 years and is still running. All we want is a PVP server with similar game rules as the previous one.
    Meaning
    -Death penalty with insurance for ship and equip. Yes you get 90% of your money back when u die.  Pirates are not insured because of bounty.
    -Pirating. not looting, but Pay or Die, or stealing cargo while the other players still alive.. works in JGC.
    -No safe zones in Open Space, with regulated and unregulated space.. bounty for killing non pvp tagged players in regulated space. Free for all in unregulated. maybe even put some Ai patrols if needed in core sectors to make it safer for noobs.

But why would you want the same game as the previous one, dont you already have that?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• spyhunter107spyhunter107 Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by Eraser55

Meaning

But why would you want the same game as the previous one, dont you already have that?

Why release a game similar to other shitty games that other companies have released? There isn't really any sandbox type game with full looting especially sci-fi. the only one that currently support freedom, full pvp, looting, and semi piracy is eve-online; if Netdevil wants to compete with eve than they need to step up their game and stop bullshitting their loyal fanbase that've been following jumpgate for a while. Netdevil appealing to the majority fanbase is saling out... Jumpgate evolution is basically an upgraded version of the original but it most likely wont suceed.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Hmmm... it seems ND has decided to turn Jumpgate Evolution into Auto Assault in space. Did ND completely forget about that flop or are they just masochists?

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• AngitheriasAngitherias Member Posts: 26

"There isn't really any sandbox type game with full looting especially sci-fi. the only one that currently support freedom, full pvp, looting, and semi piracy is eve-online."

Star Quest Online is a sandbox style sci-fi MMO, with the features mentioned above.

TBJ

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

Why should a game dev cater to a community that has been playing an antiquated game; they have a byus view about how it should be and are not really a big target for the market. So change is enevitable and just because you think you know how to make the game the most fun doesn't mean you do.

The devs have addressed pirating and said this will be added later and the other things that people are upset about are really minor, they are not reason for concern but some have gone off on tangents and offered wild worst case scenarios when they have not even played the game.

Hang tight, beta will be sweet.