Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive battles

dummenumsedummenumse Member Posts: 81

Was thinking if this game will finally nail it when it comes to large sieges. Seeing so many games before having boasted to do this, and failed, I am sorry to say I remain a bit sceptical. I do not know what capabilites are hidden in the unreal 3 engine, but at a glance having so awesome graphics usually limits the performance of having many players in close proximity.

Any thoughts on this?

If you want to hire Machete to kill the bad guys, you better make damn sure the bad guy isnt you!

Comments

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

No. Read infoz, lol! This game is not about large battles. DF is about that and AoC was supposed to be about that. Of course you are free to ponder to your hearts content, but SV has never made such a promise or given an intention of making MO a "massive battles" game.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• dummenumsedummenumse Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

No. Read infoz, lol! This game is not about large battles. DF is about that and AoC was supposed to be about that. Of course you are free to ponder to your hearts content, but SV has never made such a promise or given an intention of making MO a "massive battles" game.

Ye I admit I was too lazy to find the info :) but thanks

If you want to hire Machete to kill the bad guys, you better make damn sure the bad guy isnt you!

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by dummenumse

No worries. Course, I should have acknowledged that "massive battles" means something different to everyone. I can fully see 20 vs 20 or 40 vs 40 fights in MO. But some folks are wanting 100 vs 100 and looking over all the published MO information there isn't anything I've seen that even suggests SV is aiming for that type of combat on a consistent basis.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• dummenumsedummenumse Member Posts: 81

No worries. Course, I should have acknowledged that "massive battles" means something different to everyone. I can fully see 20 vs 20 or 40 vs 40 fights in MO. But some folks are wanting 100 vs 100 and looking over all the published MO information there isn't anything I've seen that even suggests SV is aiming for that type of combat on a consistent basis.

Still seems like it will need alot of computing power to animate 40-80 people simultaniously? I mean with the kind of graphics put forward in this game.

Kind of imagine the engine being developed for FPS type games with low player density. I do not know this for sure ofcourse. On wikipedia they state it has been improved to animate "alot more players than before". Alot is just a vague term. Alot compared to what?

• pretorapretora Member Posts: 21

lol. if you want massive battles, buy GW2 when it release. they going to have World vs world pvp. can be like 200 vs 200 or even more

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Was thinking if this game will finally nail it when it comes to large sieges. Seeing so many games before having boasted to do this, and failed, I am sorry to say I remain a bit sceptical. I do not know what capabilites are hidden in the unreal 3 engine, but at a glance having so awesome graphics usually limits the performance of having many players in close proximity.
    Any thoughts on this?

Unless the game is a totally DX10 it is IMPOSSIBLE.No developer on the planet can achieve it,because your system WILL lag out.This would also mean every player would have to be on DX10 Vista,or they will lag out.

There is only two possible alternatives ,either LAGFEST or they render everything WAY down or cut view distance way down so you wont see anything besides the few around you.Also they would need to have the seige fest in a total barren area,as the more objects on screen,the less chance of success,so you would be playing in a barren sandbox,pretty boring really.

Personally i never understood this fascination with a massive battle?please explain what this does for you personally?For me personally,i would like to see them, get  the main game down pat ,then possibly add something like that in later.

.Personally i have seen what happens from this.I play FFXI,they have something called Beseiged,where by the MOBS in the world attack the city.They added this in later,as they should,because first you have to see how your game engine reacts under normal playing,then you can decide how/if it will handle more.BTW in the FFXI Beseiged,it is an AWFUL lagfest and that is with a low poly game ,imagine MO?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by pretora

lol. if you want massive battles, buy GW2 when it release. they going to have World vs world pvp. can be like 200 vs 200 or even more

Or play Lineage 2 as you can already get that there on the larger servers for highly contested castles.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo