Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you Macro?

GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Really this only needs a Yes/No answer. If enough people answer it should be interesting. As things are it's kind of unclear whether macroing is OK or not. Or if it is OK if you are sat at the keyboard etc. A thread like this got closed in the official forums so maybe its not. No one knows for sure.

Just to be clear if you use a G15 to gather resources while you chat with clan members you should answer 'Yes'.

If you want to scribble why you think its OK or not, be my guest.

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

If i pay for a game, i intend to play it. Not using macros.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by daarco

I can see, from a "purist" point of view, how macroing could be viewed as "evil." However, I have played plenty of games that put in boring, pointless tasks that are absolutely required (sometimes for months on end) before you can really enjoy the game.

I think macroing is great as long as it isn't fully automated, and the player is actually present and active. If it gets to the point where the player can go AFK for minutes or hours at a time, or is not required to even pay attention, then it's getting out of hand and needs to be stopped.

So I guess you could say there is a fine line between "shortcut to relieve unnecessary clicking" and "cheating."

• tarkin1980tarkin1980 Member Posts: 229

I would never macro. I don't understand at all why people would even want to macro. If the game is so boring that you don't want to play it yourself, I'd simply cancel my subscription.

This is also the reason why I'd never pay for gold or lvling services. Gaming is my hobby, what's the point in paying someone else to do my HOBBY?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by tarkin1980

I would never macro. I don't understand at all why people would even want to macro. If the game is so boring that you don't want to play it yourself, I'd simply cancel my subscription.
    This is also the reason why I'd never pay for gold or lvling services. Gaming is my hobby, what's the point in paying someone else to do my HOBBY?

Exactly!

I have never done something i have felt as boring in a MMO. For example:  I never craft because i think thats boring and i never gather resourses either..because i think its boring.

Edit: Darkfall is the first time i craft or gather stuff, and i think its fun.

• haddock1haddock1 Member Posts: 37

Took the words (letters) right out of my mouth. Couldnt agree more.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    If the game is so boring that you don't want to play it yourself, I'd simply cancel my subscription.

You're mixing up "macros" and "botting" which are two totally different things. With macros, you're still playing, you just have to press fewer buttons (like WoW macros to bind multiple spells together into a single key, for example). That's what the discussion is about.

• AramanuAramanu Member Posts: 157

chop their damn fingers off! Macro users that is.

Originally posted by Aethios

If the game is so boring that you don't want to play it yourself, I'd simply cancel my subscription.

You're mixing up "macros" and "botting" which are two totally different things. With macros, you're still playing, you just have to press fewer buttons (like WoW macros to bind multiple spells together into a single key, for example). That's what the discussion is about.

You're splitting hairs. Botting and macroing is fundamentally the same thing. They are both ways to skip things that you should be doing yourself. This is called cheating. Don't make a fool of yourself trying to defend it.

Originally posted by Aramanu

chop their damn fingers off! Macro users that is.

What good would that be? They're not using them anyway.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

The thing is if you want to lets say build a city....the clan macros it really is as simple as that. Or you could gather naturally and end upmonths behind so no stones are available. Its a very real issue.

incidentally before the poll got shut down on the official foprum it was panning out that about 50% of people do not macro.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

If the games UI facilitates setting up and using macros, sure. And no, doing so AFK has never been ok.

Otherwise, it is typically against most games ToS/EULA to use any 3rd party applications. Therefore not allowed. Please, feel free to move along if you can't even follow some common sense rules of gameplay.

"But..but... it's the developer's fault that they made stuff boring... " 

All I can do is laugh when I see that, then have to listen to same  people spout about instant-gratification WoW carebears.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

wow... so many "hardcore" pvpr's don't like playing ..... 40+% use macros......

• deestepdeestep Member Posts: 4

I haven't been one of the lucky ones to get into Beta or experience the game first hand, so my knowledge is limited. If macroing were simply assisting crafters and gatherers I wouldn't mind as much. If I understand correctly, however, it is entirely possible to skill up combat techniques by throwing spells into the sky via macros, etc. Obviously, in an environment like Darkfall, anyone seeing a line of spells going into the sky for minutes at a time is probably going to see it as a giant 'whack the fleshy pinata' beacon, so there is a con to this method, but I can imagine someone clever enough to circumvent the skill grind is going to figure a way past being defenseless. It could be entirely possible that some people will macro-max out several key skills before they really ever sat down to play the game. It's not illegal, or in any real way unfair, but not something I plan on doing. If that puts me at an extreme disadvantage, well, I suppose there's a certain amount of masochism required for a game like this anyway.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by miagisan

wow... so many "hardcore" pvpr's don't like playing ..... 40+% use macros......

I did use a macro in beta while I was watching TV next to the PC. It was like this "use left mousebutton" "wait 11 seconds".

I know some of you might consider that cheating, but I don`t really care. The harvesting part in DF is boring enought as it is, and you can kill macroers. I agree however that unattended macroing is wrong.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I've been jumping in front of people who are macro-ing with mana missle, I'm completely naked, of course, and let them kill me.

Nothing like coming back from your AFK to check your mad skillz only to realize you're at the chaos stone getting turned into everyone's beotch!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by Hotjazz
    I did use a macro in beta while I was watching TV next to the PC. It was like this "use left mousebutton" "wait 11 seconds".
    I know some of you might consider that cheating, but I don`t really care. The harvesting part in DF is boring enought as it is, and you can kill macroers. I agree however that unattended macroing is wrong. 

I thinkl people will relaise that doing this 100's of thousands of time (left clicking every 11 seconds) is not fun but clan cities are an integral part of the game.

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
  • VinterblotVinterblot Member Posts: 62

Macroing lol.

There is something to be said about the person who is too lazy to play a video game.

People like that are sad, and I wish they would go die.

Edit: If you find that the game is boring, well then guess what, don't fucking play.

If all you want to do is PvP w/o any leveling, crafting, etc... then go play an FPS and let the people paying to PLAY... PLAY.

And kicking people for cheating? Wow.... I think AV needs to take some lessons and quit running their game like a WoW Private server.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." - Frank Lloyd Wright

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Originally posted by Thoric485

spamming spells and any macroing WITHIN the protective radius of the guard towers in the starting areas will result in a kick, and repeated offenses could result in a ban.
    I jizzed a little.

Which means that if i macro OUTSIDE of the protective radius of the guard towers is legal?

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Vagelisp

Originally posted by Thoric485

spamming spells and any macroing WITHIN the protective radius of the guard towers in the starting areas will result in a kick, and repeated offenses could result in a ban.
    I jizzed a little.

Which means that if i macro OUTSIDE of the protective radius of the guard towers is legal?

Yes, where it's possible to jump infront of the macroer's spell, murder him while he's gray and steal a nice staff atleast (afaik the starter one doesn't work for leveling spells from the greater schools?) or a nice bulk of resources if he's from an enemy race or you have the alignment to spare.

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."

Actually because when you res at the clan stone and you res with full mana its best to aim mana missile at your feet so you blow yourself up. You then res with your manna bar topped up. Quickker :) It's also best to turn red first and do it at a kaos clanstone allowing people that want to grind faction kill you repeatedly. This has the advantage of raising defence for you too :)

Game needs some basic stuff plugged fast but there seems no will to on AV's part.

So has everyone voted ?

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by daarco

Apparently, when it comes to Darkfall, you are in the minority.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

Unattended macro'ing I frown upon.

But when im gathering, I macro.  Only the insane find pleasure in clicking the mouse to chop a tree every 10 seconds.  I am at my computer, probably talking on vent or typing to the clan/alliance, and paying attention to the game, just not dealing with the harvesting.  If someone attacks me, im ready to go, there is nothing wrong with this.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479

macro bots are the least if their concerns I have friends telling me dupes are very common and they can't even get a handle on that.