Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about the standards

A week ago I received a 7 day ban for this

Originally posted by Blackwell99

"Just so you know ClearSam and Openedge are the same person--That's how "together" Openedge is...He's having a conversation with himself

Oi Vey-I thought Ive seen some weird stuff man, but this is insane"

(below is what I received a 7 day ban for)

"Keep digging. The number is higher than two. They are pretty easy to spot."

The reason "

"You have been issued a temporary ban by one of our moderators.

Category: Flaming

Now since then I have noticed that some of those accounts are inactive once again as that same person I mentioned had multiple accounts banned a while back. The ban is worth it if it got him off of the forums starting obvious marketing threads with no less then 4 or 5 accounts.

So yesterday I started a thread that was locked and recieved this warning

"Warning Category: Trolling

Reason: Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums."

The thread was made after going to the AOC forumes and seing that same perosn mentioned above doing the exact same thing the do/used to do here. I did follow it up with comments on where I thought AOC was as far as its customers.

Now today we have this locked thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/226370

I am curious if any of the fans of the game who were ripping the OP and others a part received as severe a punishment as I did? Or is the standard that you have to not be  a fan of the game in order to receive an over the top the ban? I have also been warned for "getting personal" Hell even the official correspondent joined in if you want to use the same standards by which I was banned. I am just going to guess that hes not banned.

Oh and Mr Moderators as you lock this please know that I did try to contact MMORPG many times to discuss this and the person who was mulit-accounting and have received zero response. I am just looking for consistancy, nothing more

I think heated forum posts are fine as long as they dont get insanely personal. BUT its MMORPG website so they  can set any standard they like. I would just like it to be equal for all.

Now if I receive a ban for this that wont upset me as I know how forums hate when you bring up locked threads and emails. But I really couldnt figure out another way to get the info out there given the lack or response I have received and seeing people who say things far worse than I did not getting bans.

Lets just make it equal across the board is all I am saying

And just for the record I am not a hater and I have even defended AOC on occassion when people got out of line with hatred that wa smaking them say things that werent true.. I dislike FC marketing practices but what I really dislike are/where the viral marketers/rabid fnaboys here that spammed  with multiple acccounts and how they were left to operate even though  a blind 5 year old could tell who they were and that they were the same person

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I believe it is consistant across the board, there were reasons on both sides, in the past I have been temporary banned too for the same thing and community.mmorpg.com seems to be slow in responding sometimes. Want to hear more PM me. There were very good reasons that the thread you link was locked as cited by the mod, nothing to do with me though.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

You will probably be banned for talking about a post you were banned for. 

MMORPG.com has become more "fair" when it comes to the negative posts.  They are now allowing the bad Darfall posts to stand.  Well... most of them.   There will aways be a direct bias tho towards the devs and publishers rather than the gamers.  After all - the website is funded by ads from the gaming companies. 

One of the good thing that came out of the AOC launch is that maybe.. Just maybe the actual gamers were able to change few standards.  For example IM not sure that any gaming site will be allowing games that dont lift NDA to go smoothly through the launch process without giving "fair" amount of critic from the testers. 

The fact is - Not lifting NDA is not acceptable.  Lifting NDA is good for the gamers cause that means they will have better and more accurate information about the game.  IMHO Gaming sites like MMORPG.com have NO OBLIGATION to honor the NDA of companies that dont intend to lift it before launch.    In fact the question now is how long before launch should NDA be lifter.  I say at LEAST 3 months before launch.   If the game is not in a state to take fair critic 3 months before launch then its simply unfinished and not ready for the set launchdate. 

Games are for the GAMERS.  NDA is not for the gamers.  Its to hide the incompetent work of the devs 99% of the time.  AOC and Vanguard are the best examples of this to date.  And hopefully the last examples....

• DrednaughtDrednaught Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Frobner

MMORPG.com has become more "fair" when it comes to the negative posts.  They are now allowing the bad Darfall posts to stand.  Well... most of them.   There will aways be a direct bias tho towards the devs and publishers rather than the gamers.  After all - the website is funded by ads from the gaming companies. 
    One of the good thing that came out of the AOC launch is that maybe.. Just maybe the actual gamers were able to change few standards.  For example IM not sure that any gaming site will be allowing games that dont lift NDA to go smoothly through the launch process without giving "fair" amount of critic from the testers. 
    The fact is - Not lifting NDA is not acceptable.  Lifting NDA is good for the gamers cause that means they will have better and more accurate information about the game.  IMHO Gaming sites like MMORPG.com have NO OBLIGATION to honor the NDA of companies that dont intend to lift it before launch.    In fact the question now is how long before launch should NDA be lifter.  I say at LEAST 3 months before launch.   If the game is not in a state to take fair critic 3 months before launch then its simply unfinished and not ready for the set launchdate. 
    Games are for the GAMERS.  NDA is not for the gamers.  Its to hide the incompetent work of the devs 99% of the time.  AOC and Vanguard are the best examples of this to date.  And hopefully the last examples....

Just wondering what games you are currently playing if any?

Gaming since 1985 and still going strong.

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I believe it is consistant across the board, there were reasons on both sides, in the past I have been temporary banned too for the same thing and community.mmorpg.com seems to be slow in responding sometimes. Want to hear more PM me. There were very good reasons that the thread you link was locked as cited by the mod, nothing to do with me though.

I didnt have a problem with the locked one and I have always felt the mods were fair. The 7 day ban was the one that prompted the post more than anything. I just added the locked one because of the reason listed and not the fact they locked it.

And Ill be honest, and maybe I am just naive or maybe I am dead on but I really dont think that I ever thought of you in particular as someone who would report something unless its really overboard. You are more likely to debate it and thats what I like.

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Frobner

As I said I am very aware that I may get  a ban for that and will take it like a man. I too feel they are pretty fair as forums go ,although I do question why they let the multi accounts/advertising go for so long. Seems that been cleaned up for now, and that is exactly why I questioned a seven day ban for a one pretty much harmless cooment I made  that was far less bannable than what I read in the post that was locked today when the OP mentioned playing for one hour. 

I too think NDA's should be stopped before launch but info leaks out anyway. A friend who has been gaming for eons critiqued the game for me and he was pretty much  dead on about its good and bad points.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

Fun Fact :

Testers for FunCom's other game Anarchy Online are still under an NDA, the game launched 7 years ago.

• TRD87TRD87 Member UncommonPosts: 115

If you have a concern or question about our moderating policy, please contact us at [email protected].

This discussion has been closed.